Are there any modern 'old school' dekstop environments that look like CDE/Motif?

Are there any modern 'old school' dekstop environments that look like CDE/Motif?

I want to be able to run efficiently on minimum hardware with no frills
I wanted to use CDE but apparently it has security holes now.
>inb4 XFCE
XFCE is just ugly, not retro

Attached: cde15solaris9.png (1024x768, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xfce-look.org/p/1231025/
docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/806-1361/6jaldfjm9/index.html
maxxinteractive.com/site/?page_id=51
maxxinteractive.com/site/?page_id=554&view=thread&id=31
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

windowmaker

AfterStep is floating around.

cde has absolutely horrible fonts, and twm / fvwm2 use less ram

Is windowmaker beginner friendly? I've never tried it before
Wasn't that last updated in the 90s?

The GitHub says the last commit was in 2015.

I just remembered another DE that's based off of the one used in IRIX - SGI's Unix. It's called Maxx Interactive Desktop.

window maker is nice but it’s not a complete set of software. you need to get programs that fit with it, and maybe theme gtk and whatever to match

ReactOS

I've actually considered this but I think it's too early in development to work properly especially on legacy hardware

One of the BSDs, right?

CDE is easy to compile and works on Debian-based systems with 0 issues, just use it.

Common Desktop Environment was used by a bunch of commercial UNIXes, I think all actually derived from system V rather than BSD.
Solaris, IRIX, AIX, HP-Unix, Digital, and maybe a few other.
that screenshot is Solaris 9

I see. I just suggested the BSDs because they tend to look visually similar to OP's pic.

Try Maxx. Its a slight pain to install, but you get a modern de that looks old

i can offer lxqt looking like nextstep/windowmaker

Attached: qtstep.png (1360x768, 337K)

What are those applets in the panel?

they're standard lxqt-panel plugins (clock, sysmon, desktop switcher)

Gtk theme OneStepBack works.

>cde has absolutely horrible fonts,
You can change them. They had to remove the commercial adobe fonts from the opensourced version of CDE. Commercial CDE looked better.
But many people do not know how to change the fonts since CDE uses the old style X11 method of font configuration that hasn't been used since the early 2000's. When X11 didn't support truetype.

All this is correct. But when Sun used BSD as its base (SunOS before solaris) it used the OpenLook desktop (olwm)

Openlook was codeveloped by ATT and Sun at the time, when ATT owned over 50% of Sun stock. They together formed what is known as SySV.

HP used HPVUE (which became CDE)
IRIX used IRIX magic desktop (indigo magic)
Next used Nextstep
and many just used motif (mwm)

there are CDE and w95 theme conversions for xfce

it's not 100% loyal but it gets the look down

Attached: efaa36bcd90363587b020aa45429719076d3.png (1920x1080, 477K)

How are they changed?

Tell us a name

xfce-look.org/p/1231025/

CDE only uses bitmapped fonts so you have to xset your fontpath (or put it in xorg.confs)
Then add them to CDE.

docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/806-1361/6jaldfjm9/index.html

I nees something that can run on 90s hardware.

XFCE is likely too bloated to work

i'd use FVWM2
It was written in the 90's and is still lightweight and has a cde theme.

Attached: SliTaz-FVWM.jpg (1024x768, 147K)

Just use CDE, niggerfaggot. Everything has security holes in it.

IRIX was great. MaXX is nice as well.

Attached: 20180527003839_1280x1024_scrot.png (1280x1024, 944K)

Bump

gnustep

>with no frills
>XFCE is just ugly
pick one, ricelord
just say you're looking for the hipster aesthetic and form over function

TWM for life

Do any of these desktop environments run on Puppy Linux/Slackware/Bodhi Linux?

I want a lightweight DE that works with a lightweight Distro

fvwm2 is just a window manager not a full DE.

just use something that is actually really old then, why not?

How can I recreate this setup exactly?

How do I get it?

You contact your local friendly administrator and have him install it for you.

XFCE is gorgeous, not sure what you're talking about user. I use cinnamon now so I can't take a screencap, but if you know how to configure it then XFCE can look like just about anything you want.

Whats that dock app called?

XFCE requires too much RAM for this project

Maybe look into LXDE?

Maybe. But I don't know if I can configure LXDE to look like CDE or IRIX

First install Debian, Ubuntu, or Fedora. It works fine on all three, just select something minimal like LXDE or XFCE, whichever you'll want to use the apps from (since MaXX doesn't have many of its own). Then go to: maxxinteractive.com/site/?page_id=51 and download the 1.0 and 1.1 scripts. Save the 1.0 as 1.sh and the 1.1 as 2.sh. Open a terminal and login as root. The change to the directory where the scripts are, and use "chmod a+x" on both files to make them executable. While still using a root shell, run the first and then the second script. MaXX installs itself in like 1 minute. After this you log out and from the login manager, you just select MaXX instead of XFCE or whatever. If it doesn't show up then reboot and it will.

Another optional set of software to install is CDE. You just add the Sparky Linux testing repo and install the "cde-desktop" package. It'll give you a few more Motif apps that work on MaXX. Some are buggy and some won't work, but things like the calculator do, so I think it's worth mentioning. You just go to the CDE bin directory and find the programs like dtcalc. I wrote about it on the forum here: maxxinteractive.com/site/?page_id=554&view=thread&id=31

Attached: 2018-05-25-205232_1280x1024_scrot.png (1280x1024, 273K)

>I want to be able to run efficiently on minimum hardware with no frills
>>inb4 XFCE
>XFCE is just ugly, not retro

So is it functionality or fashion/form? On one hand you're asking for 1 while criticising a perfectly gud option because of how it "looks".