<wdg/> - Web Development General

Prev thread:
→ # → →

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 [Open] - Web Development in 2018

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: 20180531_120433.png (822x552, 814K)

Other urls found in this thread:

1337x.st/search/udemy/1/
youtu.be/WxAZk7A7OkM?t=367
code.likeagirl.io/say-hello-world-using-react-native-in-linux-15955986bc44
djamware.com/post/5a90c37980aca7059c14297a/securing-mern-stack-web-application-using-passport
bl.ocks.org/SkiWether/f2afd0b8a8bacb4f24c8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump of justice

Codeacademy react course sucks balls.

That's all I wanted to say.

UDEMY my lad.

They pretty good?

I bought one on react-native a while back but in the video it's like "You gotta know React already"

This codeacademy one though...they give no help. Week inbetween lessons? Alright hope you remember how to set the state through onChange and binding that shit or you're fucked because we won't tell you unless you read the json error code.

Look into Modern React with Redux by Stephen Grider on Udemy. He jumps into building a youtube clone with a boilerplate he provides but slowly breaks down how everything works. I've been enjoying it so far.

udemy is trash

So I just bought that course and went into my courses page.

I have 4 React courses now. I had no idea. 3 by stephen grider.

Does anyone have tips for making a portfolio website?

I am almost done with an Associates in IT and have a Certificate of Proficiency in Web Development so I have started work on a portfolio site to use for job applications.

Any advice as to what content should be put on it? So far I have added a site that I retrofitted to have Reactive Web Design. I am also about to make a craft beer brew blog on wordpress and showcase that to show I know how to use wordpress.

What else should my portfolio have and showcase? I am applying for internships so I have not yet had a job to post work I have done yet just personal projects and little assignments.

Attached: 1503542106588.png (500x374, 83K)

every time I check udemy there's a 94% offer going on, am I that lucky or is this some jewish trick?

Attached: 4546514894.jpg (1533x961, 123K)

Don't do web development.

The latter, every single course of theirs is always available for $5-15. Usually they're just free youtube-tier courses anyways so paying $5 for them is overpriced.

Bootstrap, Parallax scroll, three.js fractals in header.

Basically make it look like any cryptocurrency homepage.

yes, it's deceitful marketing at it's finest. another good reason to not pay them a cent
1337x.st/search/udemy/1/

not him but why?

> three.js fractals in header.

What's that?

Would a mac mini be good enough for webdev?

I dev on windows and ubuntu but mac is easier for all the crazy js shit.

or I have a chromebook. Can probably hackintosh that.

Wonder if it can generate a legit p12.

mac isnt easier than ubuntu at all
even windows now is on par with mac for web dev
literally no reason to go out of your way to buy something

use what you currently have bitch dont become one of those losers who ships absolutely nothing but keeps buying the latest tech because "someday I'll make it!!!!"

>tfw two years of advanced web dev learnin and i can only make money doing drag and drop wordpress sites

other user
the only reason I do not switch to ubuntu is a lack of Adobe Photoshop there
or maybe there is something close to it?

but that's the only thing you can do tough

>even windows now is on par with mac for web dev
lol, it's definitely possible to use Windows, but you'll run into far more issues getting things running.
GNU+Linux > Mac > Windows
Then it comes to ease of development.

What do wordpress and drupal handle for you?

I built a little busybox with different dockerized services that I'm currently running on my OVH VPS (15€ a month or smthng) 2 vCores 8gb ram.

Now I was thinking about AWS. Mostly just to get a grip on it and learn about it, but also in general.

Anyone here has experience with AWS? I checked the pricing and it seems a tad bit more expensive than the OVH vps I have booked for now. Would you recommend AWS even for smaller projects or is it really just for big cloud shit that corps host there?

vert.x
e
r
t
x

AWS is always more expensive than other services, but they have pretty good uptime and a lot of settings that make it easy to scale stuff which is useful for bigger projects. If you really want to learn there's a free-tier on most stuff up to a certain point.

>mac is easier for all the crazy js shit
not true
figma for ui design, krita for painting, gimp for photo retouching, inkscape for vector work (figma might be enough for this one too now that I think about it)
I think he's kinda right about windows being pretty much on par with mac now due to WSL.
of course linux still beats both of them because I can just install i3 or whatever the fuck I want instead of dealing with whichever inherently inferior one-size-fits-all shit they're forcing upon people nowadays (a window manager being just an example obviously)

Go ahead and get setup for React-Native on Ubuntu and show me how easy it is.

On mac I can just type a few things in and it works. On ubuntu you need to install a hundred thousand dependencies, troubleshoot and install more shit and then 6 hours later it still doesn't work right.

Yeah, I want to get new stacks going fast and you can'nt do that with ubuntu in a non-annoying way. I've been using it for about 5 years and it's ALWAYS a pain in the ass and 0% of setup tutorials work without a lot of troubleshooting.

installing android sdk takes a while, doesn't it? I'd like to prove you wrong but I don't think it's really worth my time

also a google dude even used Mint (which is Ubuntu-based) to demo new Android Studio features a couple weeks ago
youtu.be/WxAZk7A7OkM?t=367
but I guess effective people just love to waste their time using stuff that doesn't work right

also you should use arch

I agree with this user. Windows/Ubuntu is ok for development but I found it the easiest on macOS.

Yes.

Maybe you can do it faster, but I use Ububtu and Windows at home for dev and Mac at work for dev. Mac is just easier, faater, and straightforward. Every install tutorial works.

That's why I'm asking if a mac mini would be worth since I already dev on every platform.

Yeah now do an upgrade and watch everything break and require hours of work to get stuff working again. Fuck that noise.

code.likeagirl.io/say-hello-world-using-react-native-in-linux-15955986bc44

If a girl can do it, you have absolutely no excuse. But hey, you spent all that money on a mac so you've got to justify it somehow!

I didn't buy a mac yet. I use it at work.

>a few k is worth having to justify
ok, neetboy

>code.likeagirl.io/say-hello-world-using-react-native-in-linux-15955986bc44
This article makes no reference to updating udev rules, which is something I always had to do to get access to the android phone via usb.

I wonder if this is handled by the npm modules now...

Does anyone here have experience with SQLAlchemy? I'm writing a flask app and need to tie an ORM into it.

I'm building a GUI for myself and was using iframes that auto refresh using meta tags. But after using 9+ frames the page starts to get less responsive and wasteful of resources, so I'm going to upgrade to a local LAMP installation.

What's the best way for me to refresh many pages similar to using iframes, but with php for the most efficient resource use with high page reload frequency?

If theres a way better way to achieve this with a LAMP install, then I'd love to know.

Thanks

Attached: 1493113493977.png (657x527, 11K)

If you leave event listeners or variables pointing to DOM elements, the garbage collector won't clear them from the memory and your page will become more bloated every time you update.
I think React has a native solution for this problem, otherwise you better make a routine to empty those variables before loading a new page.

Guys, post a screenshot of your code

i want to see what am i competing with

Attached: scrot.png (1654x1706, 364K)

I'm doing Java in school and I want to do something productive this summer while I'm on break that also keeps me from forgetting Java. I know jack shit about web dev, but I'm working my way through the mozilla docs. Are there any guides or books recommended for web development in Java?

>when you think you know JS and see this
// ==UserScript==
// @name Rewrite is.Jow Forums.org links
// @namespace 76217905864509578956895
// @include *://boards.Jow Forums.org/*
// @version 1
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

function fix(n) {
[...n.querySelectorAll(
'a[href^="//is2.Jow Forums.org/"],a[href^="//is.Jow Forums.org/"]')
].forEach(a => a.hostname = 'i.4cdn.org');
}
fix(document);
new MutationObserver(function (ms) {
ms.forEach(function(m) {
[...m.addedNodes].forEach(fix);
});
}).observe(document.querySelector('.thread'), {childList: true});

>console.log(e)
Ever heard of console.error() ?

>console.error()
Ever heard of console.exception() ?

Guess I indeed know JS then.

>that formatting
>those pyramids
>forEach
user, why...

>Spring
1337x DOT st/torrent/2823082/Udemy-Spring-Framework-5-Beginner-to-Guru/
libgen DOT pw/item/detail/id/2186531
spring.io/guides
>Spark
sparkjava.com/tutorials/
>Vert.x
vertx.io/docs/#web
>JHipster
jhipster.tech/installation/
>Dropwizard
dropwizard.io/0.9.2/docs/getting-started.html
>Play Framework
playframework.com/documentation/2.6.x/Home
>Javalin
javalin.io tutorials

pls install prettier

idk how I lived without styled components

Build your own with parameters in your queries or you WILL find yourself handcuffed by edge case handling bullshit

anyone have any EXP with wasm yet?

my compressed front end is approaching 100kb, and was wondering whether wasm can reduce that even more maybe.

Attached: привет мир.пнг.png (989x909, 54K)

emscripten compiled wasm comes with a shitton of bloat glue code and handcrafted wasm glue code still doesn't solve the overhead introduced js WASM communication, wasm atm is only for computation heavy tasks really.

Is it worth learning node? I just started a webdev job and I wanted to automate some e-mails and build a database, was thinking about using nodemailer and mongoDB, what do you guys think?

Attached: 1487425311741.png (244x255, 120K)

hm thanks. this confirms pretty much my preliminary googling, but I hoped somewhere someone made progress since '15.

I was hoping I can push my entire typescript source into wasm and have it run there (all the 100kb are an independent module that can run in its own thread for all I or anyone cares desu.), so only the glue bloat is a concern.

Php mail function and the most recent laravel

you don't need mongo. just save it in ram. node is a different paradigm than

than php fucking autopost fuck you.

What are the thinkin man's VSCode extensions

But the website is not build with php, can I still use it?

What do you mean by saving im ram?

vscodevim

when you call a php site, the php gets evaluated from top to bottom until it runs out of code or die() is called. then the code stops and waits for the next call. if you want to communicate between calls, you need a database. if you want to run tasks independent of calls, you need a chron.

in node, the code starts running when you deploy the side with npm start from your server console. when you call the site, an event hook is called in the running code.

since in node the same instance of the code is always running, you can just save shit (and quite a bit) in a local variable across calls. if you want to schedule independent tasks, you simply run settimeout or setinterval in your code.

So you're saying if I upload a new PHP file, the server will immediately start running it, but with Node I have to restart the whole server, is that right?
And if it is, how do you even manage the logged users when updating a Node server?

No, he's talking about how to persist unimportant data between queries, session and even users.

>how do you even manage the logged users when updating a Node server?
Usually by storing sessions in a DB, probably Mongo.

Do a MERN or MEAN tutorial on Passport and you'll learn plenty about managing users and sessions in node. Try this one:
djamware.com/post/5a90c37980aca7059c14297a/securing-mern-stack-web-application-using-passport

>it's like people rush to bump limit then shut up so it takes 8 hours to make a new thread.
It's a timezone issue. shitposters seem not to shitpost much during work, I think. Probably afraid of being beaten with a tiger snake if they're caught shitposting during work hours.

>shit I remember a few years ago these threads would die constantly. You would have to make a thread and keep posting in it or no one would post and it would just die.
>I miss the old op though. this one has no info in it.

Then find that old OP that you like and post it here, we can integrate them for a new OP. I'm online at around the thread death so I've made several of the new threads recently, if you post the old OP, I'll try to get its contents into the new one.

How important is previous school for getting your first job?
I dropped out when I was like 14 and picked up programming half a year ago and I'm doing pretty good, but super worried I'll just get instantly declined for being awkward & autistic + having no school education at all.

I realize a lot of people meme and say "it's easy bro just apply and they'll hire you if you can do the job!" but I'd fail hard on things like soft skills for sure, even if my code might be better than every other applicant I'd do a shit job of shilling myself, especially if I'd have to be talking to HR or someone who doesn't understand programming.

I might go to college just to say I have some kind of education, even if it's some waste of time shit I already know, Maybe I'd learn something...

Attached: super fren.png (790x837, 177K)

Anyone ever have issues with django-imagekit on production? no matter what I do I keep getting an import error despite it being in my installed apps and pip telling me everything is fine. works fine locally

>I dropped out when I was like 14 and picked up programming half a year ago and I'm doing pretty good, but super worried I'll just get instantly declined for being awkward & autistic + having no school education at all.
>I might go to college just to say I have some kind of education, even if it's some waste of time shit I already know, Maybe I'd learn something...

If you didn't finish high school then you do not know the things you learn in a CS degree. Especially the maths.
Calculus isn't critical for 90% of programmers but a good handle on Stats 101-102 is extremely useful.
Then there's the stuff that is math based even if it's not actually maths like Database theory. You're unlikely to really be good at that without any education.

There's a point where your experience outweighs an education but since you don't have any experience, you don't count for that. You're getting nowhere without education, I'd start by completing HS to be honest.
See if your prison lets you do a HS course by correspondence, most do.

I haven't encountered much maths in front-end at all, and all the algorithms I've seen haven't been too math-heavy that I get confused. I can do all the algorithms on FCC without too much trouble, takes me like an hour for the advanced ones, depending on what it is obviously.

I definitely should learn more "computer science"-y stuff though so I understand more of the theory behind what's going on.

have a website -- let's call it "niggers.website" -- and I want "www.niggers.website" to redirect to "niggers.website". In my apache2 settings, I have a virtual host with the ServerName: niggers.website. My DNS settings on Namecheap (which is a really strange and senseless format) are in pic related.

Despite this setup, I can only access the website using "www.niggers.website" and using "niggers.website" results in a server not found error. How? Why? Is there a fix? Is Namecheap just retarded?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 11.35.10 PM.png (862x197, 20K)

Do you guys send REST-ish requests from a page via plain old forms, or do you just send a Fetch request? Assuming JSON data is being transferred (rather than stuff like multiparts).
Forms are IMO a pain in the ass, requiring fiddling with iframes as target if you don't want to reload/navigate the entire document.

does anyone know if theres a way to change markdown with latex into html? tried misaka and it just changes my latex math into brackets like \[ and \] from $$

Hi

A few years ago i got a basic IT degree, but there was a huge recession.

when it was clear i couldn't get a job after several years, i re-skilled and taught English in asia

i am back in the west, but the situation has not improved as much as hoped, add to that the huge gap in my resume, im basically unemployable.

I've come across the huge number of people in Thailand who moved to thailand, taught themselves HTML, CSS and another language such as Ruby or PHP and who make a good living doing that.

How long would it take a shitty out of practice IT shit to learn this to the point of being able to actually get work?

>why Thailand?
Huge network of other people doing this who all say that there is so much work that they actively help new people break into the industry

Low cost of living, my current RENT is enough to cover more than a month of living comfortably in Thailand

Thai food

Ladyboys

I have a TEFL degree and experience so i could get a teaching job if i run out of savings instead of asking my dad for help.

Attached: 1527026836786.jpg (1242x1185, 188K)

>have a website -- let's call it "niggers.website"
now that's something i'd put on my resume!

"yeah, i run niggers.org, it's the most visited far right resource for holocaust denialism!"

I use Fetch or related technologies exclusively.
Then again, I write React apps.

Hardly worthy of putting on a resume if I can't even setup DNS correctly. pls halp.

Attached: java help.jpg (720x720, 99K)

I think you're being too subtle, consider the self-awareness level of who you're talking to.

Is there any way that I can POST to a url without actually filling out a form?
>be me
>have a page with a form
>form passes user input as a post to another page
>getting tired of having to manually enter form data over and over for multiple different cases
>trying to find a way to post directly to the second page without having to actually fill out the form

I am trying to find a way to just pass the variables directly to a url as a post, without having to manually fill out a form. Is there any way I can do this?

Attached: suitcase_gokart.jpg (550x437, 38K)

There are a few ways depending on how much you like typing.

Firefox dev tools let you edit and resend requests, you could change the URL in that to resubmit a request. This can even change GET into POST etc as well.
There's a program called Postmaster which is used for debugging REST APIs, it will let you do whatever you want with POST requests.

Or, just grow some gonads and use Curl in the console, it's what any real programmer would do.

I have a pluralsight membership, what courses should i go for if I'm new to webdev? There's so many to choose from so I'm unsure about them along with the instructors.

Postman or Insomnia

or just cURL it

does cURL let you view the webpage you posted to?

If there is a response, then cURL will print or save it according to your instructions.
I suggest you experiment with it to see.

You can always use cURL to retrieve the form that you want to post to before you make a post request to it.

Spring Boot

I wish there was a good resource for learning MongoDB. If you need anything more advanced than a simple to-do app, then you've got a problem.

Actually, I just found the free courses on the mongodb official site. Did anyone try them yet?

I'm doing a chord graph similar to this:

bl.ocks.org/SkiWether/f2afd0b8a8bacb4f24c8

anyone know how to control the width of the elements that are made? they're based off the matrix in the javascript. I'm wanting to have a set width for one instead of it growing with more lines coming out of it. I want the lines all the same size as the single chord group/color itself.
reason being the clients all use an equal amount of something that is 100%
so if I set every client to use this "group1" to "5" and I have 5 clients. it then says "group1" size is "25" however it's size is only "5" as 5/5 is 100% of it's usage.

thanks

pandoc -t html --mathjax foo.md

that's the universe trying to tell you that you shouldn't use mongo
picrel

Attached: ss-2018-06-01-12-42-24.png (940x194, 19K)

Alright so. Could use some Jow Forums.

I'm confident enough in my knowledge of HTML and CSS, know how to use Bootstrap and i'm currently learning the basics of JS. The Udemy course i'm taking will cover NodeJS, jQuery and some more backend next. After that i plan on learning Wordpress and a framework i guess (React/Vue/Angular).
My final goal is doing freelance web development. My question is, how plausible is this and what else do you suggest learning to have an easier time finding clients?
Also, how soon do you figure i could start doing some basic work with simple websites (even if it means using Bootstrap / altering Wordpress themes)? My country is rather cheap, so even 500$/month on simple projects will be enough of a reason for me to quit my 9-5.
Guess i'll need a portfolio too though.

Javascript FormData object and use AJAX to POST it at the url?

What middleware is the best way to get the fields from a multipart/form-data form in node.js, lads?

UK user here. What kind of qualifications should I get to get hired as a JavaScript developer? All the applications I've submitted get skipped over since (I assume) I have no qualifications in IT at all. I've been to university already so that isn't an option.

You don't need IT at all, it's a separate field some people occasionally make the jump to/from. Do you have a personal website? Do you have it listed on your CV?

~ 6 months with min 8 hours practice daily.

Tbh, as a self-taught programmer I'm OK with others. But if you didn't finish High School, and I was looking at your resume, I would be VERY biased against hiring you. You'd have to have extremely good skills in my eyes for me to even give you the chance.

That being said, get your secondary education degree.

How low are the costs of living? I'm considering going there too.

>I haven't encountered much maths in front-end at all
I mean it's not intense, but it's absolutely there. Due to the sheer amount of tools and such available, you don't have to encounter a lot of it unless you're really diving into animations for example. But again, so much of it is abstracted away with phenomenal tools you can get away with a lot.
If you can handle algorithms and basic maths you'll be fine.

I think high school is definitely a baseline. High schools aren't strict at all, you barely have to attend (I know I skipped out on a good 60%+ of classes) and as long as you submit the work you still graduate with flying colors. Especially with the amount of alternatives to a "standard" high school people can take now whether it's your GED (or similar) or online courses, whatever just get it done.

I have a GitHub portfolio. I actively make projects but have nothing tangible to display yet. I feel like there is still so much to learn before I can make something impressive enough to make up for lack of actual qualifications.

>I actively make projects but have nothing tangible to display yet.
Well get to it. Don't get stuck "learning", get to "applying".

I don't like making excuses. That said, I've been actively making projects for a while now. To-do lists and the link, vanilla JS stuff. But I feel it will take some time before I have the ability to produce something impressive.

It doesn't need to be impressive. It doesn't need to be this giant thing the entire world uses. It doesn't have to be perfect. There just needs to be several projects demonstrating your ability to actually ship something and deal with all the problems of shipping, as well as see an idea through from the brainstorming phase to completion. Bonus if you're continually supporting the projects.