Jow Forumsternet

We're back edition.

What is Jow Forumsternet?
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Meta:About
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Purpose

Talk about:
>finding friends to link with
>linking meshes over VPN
>decentralisation/distribution of all layers of protocol, from network itself to end-user applications

DO NOT talk about:
>logos or names (use the Git issues for that)
>meme shit like lasers, HAM, or satellites. We already said that shit won't work right now
>monetisation. If we need money we can ask friends or stop being poor. We don't need crowdsourcing really

Links:
>Map (mark yourself): zeemaps.com/map?group=2787145
>IRC (join): irc.jollo.org SSL port 9999, channel #gternet
>Wiki (read and edit it): mesh.gentoo.today
>Git (sign up and contribute): git.jollo.org/gternet
>Last thread:

Protocol: BATMAN-adv for now using IPv6

Every well-intentioned contribution is valuable! Get your friends and neighbours in on this

I'm not the dev, just somebody who doesn't want to see this die. If you want to ask him something, he's in IRC sometimes.

Attached: mesh.png (720x653, 178K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EoBAIQjWoUQ
zeemaps.com/map?group=2787145
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29J3911306&cm_re=ubiquiti_long_range-_-9SIA29J3911306-_-Product
ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiberx/
ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber5/
git.jollo.org/gternet
git.gternet.me
techrepublic.com/article/google-vs-at-t-who-is-winning-the-fiber-internet-war-in-louisville/
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.jollo.org: 9999/#gternet
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Welcome back, this is one of the few nu-Jow Forums projects that is actually good

Hurry the fuck up, I dont like this internet anymore youtube.com/watch?v=EoBAIQjWoUQ

Attached: 842DBCD5-E1F5-4F33-A644-FFB93E82BE8B.png (768x1024, 1.13M)

Satellites won't work? I can get you a 6U in orbit in 2 years.

You should really call it /gent/ernet

>IPv6

I don't have IPV6, I guess I won't support you.

Can we use fldigi to setup a p2p BBS sharenet?

checked
An internet of wholesomeness.

Are you guys going all out the gate or are you going to Jefferson it and take a half-measure and then spend centuries catching up to your ideal?

You can use IPv6 internally if endpoints will translate

As a britbong is there anything to be done or am I forever alone around here

Check the map friend zeemaps.com/map?group=2787145

You should really make the map distinguish and tell for what is for, is our best asset.

Closet node to me is 36km away with no line of sight. Rip

bump

Holy shit, only one guy in Idaho has a mesh network and of course its in the middle of liberal capital

At least we overthrew the overthrowing of NN

Why not cj?

Is that 6U rack units? If so bretty neat

Map isn't working

I'm in France, my point is literally alone, i can forget this meme in France.

Map is up, check your umatrix config, and keep in mind map is old.
You should have at least 2+ devices to test with (an old pc is fine too, as long as it can run debian and have a wifi adapter).

>i can forget this meme in France
try finding some neighbours interested, or your school, uni, aggregation space, local fair, anything goes. Nobody at this point is likely to find a match within reasonable range in that map, it's still early development phase.

>Why not cj?
You mean cjdns ? if yes, it's already in the todo list..

Nigger I live in Jordan
No one's coming to save me

Saving this thread from page 7. Is one of the Jow Forums projects that can have some utility and future. God's works, anons.

Why not just resurrect FidoNet?

HEY BRAINLETS PIC RELATED LETS FUCKIN GO

Attached: Untitled.png (1002x695, 116K)

airfiber is fuckin dope

I agree with this user. If link provided, we should add it to the wiki.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29J3911306&cm_re=ubiquiti_long_range-_-9SIA29J3911306-_-Product

im serious i will buy this if we can get people to commit and also get some access points set up

not him, but that pic is
>ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiberx/
and there's also a link to that site
>ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber5/
in the !links ircbot, and probably wiki too.

i feel like if we could figure a way to access clearnet through a "raid style" fantasy concept at 6 in the am we could maybe work back throttling power away from isp.... circumvention

>through a "raid style" fantasy concept at 6 in the am
Explanation for a brainlet please.

>implying you wont hack me

But why?

you in the irc?

Nope, I'm not. Although it would be nice to have this kind of content here since maybe some anons are not either.

Pretty expensive stuff. It's probably worth it for those distances, but it can't be easy aiming that over 200km.

This

Needs shielding against radiation?

having some issues cloning repository or resolving git repo

>Git (sign up and contribute): git.jollo.org/gternet

probably OP baked with old info.
Git is at git.gternet.me

>there are 2 anons from greece
Wow based frens

bump

How do I contribute? Do I have to buy those expensive ass 200km routers or do I just give my neighbours old routers with OpenWRT and some software?

>Do I have to buy those expensive ass
No, you can try gternet on a sbc (like a raspberry ) or any pc with a wireless card. As long as it can run debian, you should be fine. A router firmware is not in the workings, so no OpenWRT like firmwares.

Don't they have batman in OpenWRT?

7 nodes of 4 ubiquiti AF-11FX-L, so much theoretical coverage

Attached: mapof7nodes.jpg (1920x1080, 504K)

they do. I don't think anyone tried compatibility between gternet and OpenWRT, if you have a spare one to test, please do and report back.

Seems pretty nice. Especially because if some of the ranges overlaps that would give better coverage.

im not photoshooper but i tried

Attached: overlayed.jpg (808x538, 126K)

if we had an 8th in detroit it would span toronto and some of michigan

thanks... nice sevens man

Wait, these things have 200km range in all directions? The one posted has a pair of dish antennas, so I assumed it is a wireless bridge.

Guys get your shit together, I'm waiting for a transatlantic link

>Giving the hackers of Jow Forums your address so they can hack you with their hacking skills and their hacking tools and take control of the wireless blender during the night to slit your throat while you sleep
Fuck off hackers

You people are inane enough to be around on an anonymous imageboard. The last thing I want to do is create a virtual network with you that's connected to my computer.

t. NSA

Attached: 1517501546279.jpg (500x750, 65K)

Woah, Jow Forums has a meshnet?

CONNECTED VIA VPN NIGGAZ.
JOIN OR GET LEFT BEHIND IN THE BOTNET.

they are, and those would be the main nodes for city to city with a 300km range, from there we would use a cheaper setup per person thats not a main (almost everyone) that uses smaller dishes to connect to smaller point to points and from there enterprise ap modules to distribute the mesh network to the actual devices within from what i can see up to 600 feet per module

so like 1 for your whole house, or one for a dorm building at a uni...... A dish network to bankrupt dish network type deal

But if your userbase grows, you'll want more bandwidth than those things can provide and they're immensely expensive to put in parallel. Wouldn't it be better to start small, lay wire to your neighbors, connect neighborhoods together, a big bundle of wire to the next city, etc? That scales a lot better, is cheap, and easy to maintain.

if we linked these 15 major cities with the 300km nodes, it would be expensive, but our overall outermost layer of infrastructure would look like this, our main nodes span so to speak

Attached: Untitled.jpg (777x777, 149K)

this would make it so if we used the mesh network nodes like relays to the clearnet we would span out to canadian and mexican isp's

they would never let us lay the wire man

i believe if it really took off hardware manufacturers would r and d for it.... the isp guyts would never let us run the wires man where i lived at and t bogards poles from google fibre

techrepublic.com/article/google-vs-at-t-who-is-winning-the-fiber-internet-war-in-louisville/

That's why you keep the data that is moving very simple at first and build up.

Get FidoNet working, and then move up to FTP.

yea keep it light and get the web up and spanned then fill in individual nodes and find ways to keep data light and improve bandwidth

Why not, the cubans did.

Version 1 = 100KB file size limit.

how2join
I can contribute a VPN and mesh node

Friendly reminder than the map is your best asset. If you want to join just mark your location or find a nearby mesh.

Also the way of communication is not set in stone, you can use wire, ronjas, even your phones to communicate between meshnets IF your neighbor also agrees in the same way of communication.

Attached: BlwyWSSCUAAK1zX.jpg:large.jpg (1023x721, 100K)

Let's say some user has its concerns about wanting to contribute but worried about letting people connect to his computer.
Not trying to be like the above assholes, just wondering for someone who truly has the doubt.

You do know this is a secure connection between two know parties, right? As in, you probably will know the dude you are connecting. Do you understand that?

Don't let CIAniggers convince you.

>Don't let CIAniggers convince you.
I won't, don't worry. But I like to learn instead of running things blindly.

Bumpa.

map froze

You need to put the equipment on a tall as fuck tower and align it perfectly (normal guyed steel towers wiggle too much for this kind of distance) to get 300km. 100 meters up only sees 35km to the horizon. Because horizon distance isn't linear a whole damn kilometer up only gives you 112km of vision. There's some light bending fuckery that can give you a practical range extension, but it's not totally reliable and it's not an enormous bump anyway, like 20% unless you're bouncing on the ionosphere.

Don't count on more than a few km per hop unless you're hitting a satellite or fiber link.

Renting solid tower space would probably cost a shitload too, if anyone is willing to give some random Jow Forums dude a spot on a tower.

Attached: 1527210009926.jpg (800x450, 55K)

Stop trying, this is stupid and you(pl) are retarded flyovers.

Attached: 1526083349947.png (2352x1764, 1.85M)

Attached: 1456792752488.png (2992x2992, 531K)

The opposite of anonimity, I guess.

>Maximum visits allowed for maps without a paid plan is 100 visits.

What we really need is for other boards to join in and contribute to this project.
More users = larger range and better stability.

Attached: 1487009211672.jpg (500x379, 55K)

It would help if there was a discord for quicker discussion too.

>other boards
We used to post on /diy/ too, maybe we'll start again if it gains traction here.

>for quicker discussion
There's an irc, SSL mandatory, tor friendly.
>/server irc.jollo.org +9999
>/join #gternet

kiwiirc.com/client/irc.jollo.org: 9999/#gternet

>use net
>zero net
>inter net
>Jow Forumsternet
are you fucking retarded

Map is being reworked.
All points have been backed up from both maps.
Some points might (or might not) be eventually deleted in final version.

Attached: meshmap.jpg (1207x730, 92K)

Okay interesting.

You have a point. Is it too late to change the name? Ideas?

>name

>DO NOT talk about:
>logos or names (use the Git issues for that)

There's no point in a name until we reach a major point when we merge several big communities. To get to that point, we need way more normies in that, so there will be a merting/conference for that kinda stuff at one point. Until then the "name" of your local network will be more than enough.
That's why talking about it, is useless.

OUTER HEAVEN
OUTER HEAVEN
OUTER HEAVEN

Attached: gternet cli sample.png (749x399, 21K)

THOSE ABSOLUTE FUCKING JEWS

Attached: Screenshot_20180602_183421.png (1166x310, 46K)

link? Also the git isn't working.

>JEWS
Fuck off to Jow Forums copycat nigger, I use caps for a good cause.

Wtf is this shit

Attached: Screenshot_20180602_190639.png (383x56, 6K)