Holy fuck

Just bought one of these little fuckers, left it idling in my PC for about 10 minutes without actually using it yet and when I decided to touch it I felt like I had accidentally put my hand in the toaster.

Saying it's hot is an understatement, I don't feel safe leaving this in a USB3 port, I'm thinking would it help to only use it in USB2 ports so it's doing less work help with the heat issues, or should I just throw it away and try something that was actually tested before being sold?

Attached: sandisk.jpg (1300x1000, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/10163/usb-flash-drives-power-consumption-measurement-using-plugables-usbctkey/3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

Just like your CPU OP you need an essential USB port cooler. Did you not know this when into computering?

Using linux I stuck f2fs as the filesystem on my 64GB one.

It coalesces writes into groups, reducing load on the USB and keeping it cool, and allowing it to last longer.

Get gud

Attached: 1527664583717.jpg (800x450, 134K)

Never buy these pieces of shit, ever.

It's almost as if f2fs was made for flash storage.

I don't even know how it's legal I feel like if I took this on to a plane I could turn my laptop in to a bomb

I was going to put a heatsink on to it but I ran out of thermal paste, could I use cum?

Filename.

Attached: OpSuckDicks.png (1321x1097, 193K)

All you have to do is disable atime with f2fs and you end up with a screamin' little piece of storage.

Linux disk cache layer takes care of redundant read requests and offloads them to free RAM and speeds up read requests, and the write coalescing takes care to not burn the thing when writing mid to low I/O on simple shit.

I keep an IPFS store on my second 32GB one on my mini server.

Then OP should mkfs.f2fs instead of berating it for improper use.

Attached: 1522787426564.gif (295x218, 1.69M)

why didn't you read the reviews. every single one say those get extremely hot. also why not buy th new composite version

Most USB3 sticks have terrible reviews and mention overheating, I didn't realise it was this bad

Thinking about trying the Sandisk Ultra Flair

pic related

Attached: sandisk ultra.jpg (1920x1080, 119K)

just get a shark sd card you retard, they come with usb3 adapters

Mine gets hot as fuck too

I got a patriot supersonic rage 2 in the mail today, amazing little thing, highly recommend, loaded the fuck up with isos.

Just write a script to mount and unmount it every 10 seconds.

>Saying it's hot is an understatement, I don't feel safe leaving this in a USB3 port
I have one that I've used for probably 2 years, it's fine. The reason they get so hot is the first gen USB 3.0 controllers used in them are shit and get super hot, plus it's small and metal so the heat transfers easily. It's not dangerous and it isn't going to burn your house down, but it's terrible design.

I just installed my OS using a 64gb San Disk USB 3.0. It gets hot, but I don't ever leave USB thumb drives in the PC. I rarely use them anyways.

I leave mine in an ODROID C1 for download storage with f2fs remotely and it never has this problem. Sure it gets clearly warmed up, but not hot enough to burn me.

Of course. I mean, surely it can't be worse than mayonnaise?

Attached: 1363824881534.gif (465x871, 45K)

Have this exact same one since last week, and it gets very hot.

I have a few of those OP, and they don't do well in USB3 slots. The fact that they're so small make their ability to get rid of all that heat awful.

However, in 2.0 I somehow don't have that problem and it remains completely cool. I only put mine in 3.0 if I know I HAVE to get a large file into it quickly. When it's done I instantly remove it and let it cool.

It's a hassle, but they're good, quick sticks.

I'm not surprised that people are freaking out thinking these things are failing or poorly designed based on how hot they get when they're clearly operating inside designed parameters... But I am a little surprised it's happening here. Anything using electricity generates heat. These things are small, so they can't dissipate heat using much surface area, so the only way you can have them dissipate more heat is for the temperature to rise. That is something that would have been accounted for in the design.

You fags remind me of when busted ass housewives freak out about leaving the toaster plugged in

A usb memory stick shouldn't be drawing more than a few microwatts of power. Everything in those devices has high impedance inputs and the outputs only drive more high impedance inputs so the current draw is extremely low. Even in the small package size it shouldn't be getting that hot. It seems to me something is very wrong.

>i bought something that cycles billions of bits per second and is only about the size of a large peanut and for some reason it is hot. I AM SCARED!

I've had one of these in my server for 3 years now as a boot drive. Should I be worried?

The flash chip themselves are what consume power. You don't think doing read/writes on the thing doesn't consume power?

Me too op this is completely fucked, I feel like it will damage my usb port or my fingers every time I use it.

Just leaving it in makes it go nuclear. No file transfers. Just putting it in the slot and doing nothing makes it become hotter than the core of the sun.

I'm never getting a tiny usb drive again. It's thumb size or nothing.

It could just be faulty. It is also possible that your OS is doing R/W constantly without your knowledge.

i'd try out f2fs if i didn't use zip disquettes for cross-computer file transfer, between linux and windows hosts. i'm stuck with vfat and exfat for that reason alone

my 128gb gets hot whether or not the partitions are mounted.

And while the heat is a bit more than I would expect from a flash drive, the thing IS small as fuck and cheap as fuck. Has never been a burn hazard though- The moment you pull it out, the heat dissipates within a second. It is poor thermal design but it is what it is. Granted I don't really use it for anything but quick transfers and torrenting on a chromebook.

I can also confirm that this one gets hot.

These things are retarded is my conclusion. Theyre always cheap but run hot as fuck. Good for nases tho

The real problem with these is that they are too easy to lose

Metal cased ones will always feel hotter but are actually better than plastic ones since they'll conduct the heat away from the chip

Hmmm
I have an idea
Has anyone experimented with those liquid metal alloys? Tempted to go buy one that won't eat through aluminum and try it out. It would probably BTFO any other thermal compound

I have this one in 16gb desu.
It gets hot but it's not unbearable, I can easily store my files and it's fast.

The tiny ones are good for some things.
I have a 64gb one plugged into my car stereo's USB port with most of my music.
I figure as long as it survives being written to at least a couple of times, it's perfectly fine for an otherwise read-only use.

Wouldn't write to one daily and expect it to last though.

I use a 64Gb version of that exact product line, never gets hot (?), neither do my other nubs ( ~16Gb's & 32Gb's).
imho, too hot usb sticks, sd cards, or microSD's is a sign of malfunction/faultiness. It just seems to be the case when they fail or defective, that's imho/my experience.

I got two 32 GB of these for about 5 USD and man they get hot even when you're are not R/W.

or you could use alternative methods, like using cloud storage, sftp, bluetooth, or ethernet cable

That mayonnaise is doing pretty good.

Attached: overclocked-pizza.jpg (572x342, 51K)

here's an idea: dont leave your usb plugged in when you dont need to transfer files

>thinking these things are failing
They literally get so hot they start having write/read errors. Read the fucking thread you're in.

It has a surface area of 1.59cm x 0.88cm = 1.3992cm^2
An A19 light bulb has the surface area of ~π(19/8" * 2.54cm/")^2 = 114.3cm^2

So if it was only using 0.2 Amps (1W) then it would be as hot per unit area as a 100W light bulb.

I have one as well, I wants to use for a live Linux distro. But it gets too hot, and I haven't used it in a very long time.

it will burn itself out very fast. get the Samsung equivalent, its fine and costs only a little more + waterproof

Normal IC's get hot, this one doesn't have any option but to dissipate the heat through the shield. It's also a decently fast chip. I just don't like the form factor because they're easily lost unless you have them attached to a key ring or lanyard.

I've used one for over a year constantly plugged in. On my Wii U and GPD Win.
It's hot, but that's how this one is supposed to be. You can get better ones these days that don't heat up as much.

USB 3.0 128GiB are the ones I have, SanDisk.

Yeah. I got the same one for a winbook with no expandable storage. Way too hot for comfort

one of my ancient usb microsd card readers did this to me. looked sort of like this, but it had a sheath. found it in a box with an 8gb card in it, decided to see if it had any data on it. wouldn't show up in explorer, and after maybe 30 seconds i go to unplug it and it's already extremely warm to the touch. swear this never happened in any older machine i had.

it's defective, OP. these tiny types of "AIO USB header" devices really suck ass. throw it out.

Attached: super-microsd-1.jpg (468x351, 13K)

yah i have bunch of small ones that overheats. it cannot be used to install distro as dd-ing it make it unbootable. the new one you got i have it too. it behaves good for a while and become unbootable and throws errors that makes you think that there is connection error in usb socket. just avoid them like a cancer...

what's a good alternative?

>he has to be on a plane to turn his laptop into a bomb
imagine the smell

The bigger the flash drive, the better. I mean bigger in the physical sense. It needs the size to dissipate heat.

i thought for a moment you are talking about d***

lol thanks :-)

I didn't pay for my one and I still hate it. Far too hot for me to not be concerned about something getting damaged. It just sits in my draw, threatening to disappear up its own ass because it's so small and prone to being lost.

I literally said flash drive, though. You need to get a grip.

Have a cheap sandisk 8GB one and the little fucker gets hot when plugging it in. Had to remove the casing

I bought 2 of those and they get ridiculously hot and the speed drops in half when you're moving files after a minute or two. By far the worst usb drives I've ever owned.

This is the only 3.0 drive I've used that doesn't get hot and maintains speed.

Attached: 619ohMDrTkL._SL1024_.jpg (1024x1024, 68K)

I did read the thread. You're the first person that mentioned errors and I've never read anything about any errors, but some stuff about reduced speed. I'd say YOU should read the thread you're in.

The drives may have QC issues, but it's not to do with the heat. All these small drives get hot, and even ones from varying manufacturers. That's the nature of the form factor.

>microwatts
No. Just no. These devices are NOT pulling microwatts. You're using the right words, but it's obvious you don't actually know what you're talking about.

A review of a Sandisk 128GB Ultra Fit on Newegg reported that a drive was drawing 160mA at 5VDC under a light workload, which is 800mW. That's not much power at all. 160mA is well within USB3 spec, which maxes at 900mA. It's actually within USB2 spec, which maxes at 500mA (although I believe with USB2, 500mA was the maximum the bus could supply to all connected devices).

Anandtech measured the power consumption of various USB drives a couple of years ago:

anandtech.com/show/10163/usb-flash-drives-power-consumption-measurement-using-plugables-usbctkey/3

There are some SSDs there too, but you can see that one of the USB drives idles at 1.1W and another idles at a 770mW. The Sandisk drive sits right between these two under a light load.

Like I said, there's nothing to see here. If any of you would like to reply with some actual information instead of saying "iT GET REAL HOT IT HURT MY FINGER," be my guest, but again, you sound like retarded housewives demanding that the toaster be unplugged after every use.

>haha just use le interweb even when it's less convenient to do so

Attached: 1512735230990.jpg (625x626, 72K)

>plastic housing
yeah that thing is getting hot user you just don't feel it because the plastic insulates it
samsung usbs are the least shit but ONLY their bar type metal ones fuck plastic usbs

That still sounds wrong. a.) I never said USB can't supply 500mA or whatever. You're putting words in my mouth. I'm just saying 150mA sounds insanely high for simple memory. I'd estimate the maximum current would be about a tenth of that.

Here's the thing. There are no power components in memory. No power amplifiers or anything that needs to supply high current. It's all FETs which very high impedance inputs so the gate will be drawing current in the nano-amp range. Obviously Ids can be higher and in the case that it's driving a bus or something it might be a few microamps. Obviously the current does add up but like I said. 150mA doesn't sound right.

>I never said USB can't supply 500mA or whatever. You're putting words in my mouth.
Not putting words in your mouth. I'm trying to illustrate to you that the USB spec allows for much more current draw than you're imagining.

>That still sounds wrong
>sounds insanely high for simple memory
>I'd estimate
>150mA doesn't sound right

You don't know what you're talking about. You think you do, but you very clearly do not. Look at the link:

Every single drive tested is drawing orders of magnitude more current than you're claiming should be normal. All of them. They're all in the milliamp range. You speak as if you have an engineering background, so you should know that ignoring data isn't how we do things.

I do have an engineering background and I'm telling you, that's still wrong. That data makes no sense. And yes. For the millionth time, I know you can draw plenty of current over a USB port. Most ports allow up to 1A. I'd take forever to charge a phone if they were all capped at 500mA. Just cause they can supply up to an amp doesn't mean they're gonna push that through any load though and a fucking USB stick is not a high power load. It should be drawing no more current than an average LED. Worst case. I think you're the retard.

>You're the first person that mentioned errors

Anandtech is very reputable. If you think you know better than them, send them an email and don't bother arguing with me.

So you're basing everything you're claiming on some shitty tech "journalism" site using a questionable testing methodology and not off years of hands on engineering experience in the field? Sounds about right for Jow Forums.

>he actually fell for the zip drive meme

These are the only ones you will ever need.

I've got 4 of them. 3 for backups when I travel and the last one is for installing operative systems.

Attached: 1515081575655.png (372x203, 47K)

the samsung mini drives are way better than the sandisk. slightly, and i mean slightly larger, but none of the heat issues. had to replace my freenas boot drive with one after the sandisk started to shit out after 3 years.

Use a SSD for your boot drive.

Why? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't speed up anything other than booting up, which ideally I only do for updates.

He meant that you didn't need to clarify what you meant by "bigger", retard.

USBs aren't meant to be used as boot drives.

Yet the Sandisk worked for 3 years for $10 and it was an overheating piece of shit.

I bought 2 of these without reading reviews and was somehow surprised with how hot it got. Now I know why most flash drives are not thumb nail sized.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-02-21-29-37-915_org.mozilla.firefox.png (1080x1920, 523K)

would you guys consider it worth it to put a SATA based m.2 SSD inside an enclosure? They make Enclosures that have USB 3.1 slide out. It'd be like $110 to put a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB inside a Silverstone enclosure.

Correct. Anandtech has a good track record, whereas you're some anonymous poster on Jow Forums. No sane person would ever take the word of anonymous over a reputable tech publication. Again, if you actually know anything worthwhile, I suggest you email Anandtech and ask them to update the article or something.

Alternatively, you could test for yourself, since USB voltage and current monitoring dongles are like $10.

>Alternatively, you could test for yourself, since USB voltage and current monitoring dongles are like $10.

Like this guy did and got results entirely consistent with my predictions?

same here

>operative

What relevance does the low power draw of that one drive have in the context of the normal UPPER range of power draw of USB drives? That's a strawman argument, like saying that because midgets exist, nobody can be over 6 feet tall. Don't be dumb.

One of those drives got so hot that it desoldered my USB port.
Not even kidding.

Attached: 1421394998729.gif (800x450, 160K)

topkek

I love this design; too bad they're so slow. I tested one as a Tails stick for a while. I could literally make coffee while waiting for it to log me in. Everyone I've asked had the same problem.

The Sandisk in the OP takes like three seconds to login on the same system, and that's on a USB 2.0 port.

Pics or it didn't happen. :^)

This is a non-issue. The traffic between your newly-acquired memory stick and its manufacturer are purely for improving your customer experience. Please delete your thread.

Attached: 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01101001 0 (1200x675, 1.18M)

Uhh, you see. I've yet to actually disassemble the case and confirm it.
I'm simply assuming it since all the other ports still work just fine.
The flash drive was also killed but they replaced it free of charge, which was neat I guess.

>A review of a Sandisk 128GB Ultra Fit on Newegg reported that a drive was drawing 160mA at 5VDC under a light workload, which is 800mW. That's not much power at all. 160mA is well within USB3 spec, which maxes at 900mA.

It's not just watts but also the watts per dissipation area that determine how hot it gets. See So 800mW in that small of a package would be equivalent to a 0.8W / 1.339cm^2 * 114cm^2 = 65 watt incandescent light bulb.

I have one of those, the 128GB one since it was super cheap.

They get ridiculously hot but I haven't seen it actually fail yet.

I was considering getting one of these for my GPD Win 2 when it arrives, but that's sounding like a bad idea now. The M.2 SSD is already supposed to generate heat and has ventilation for it, the microSD slot will have to be enough expansion.

Attached: ssd_03-e1517949147263-680x442.jpg (680x442, 29K)

>get butned by sandisk
>I'm thinking of buying sandisk...

Why not, intel does.

had the same experience when using it on pc but works fine on the wii(which was the reason i bought one of those) and doesnt get hot at all.

The drive in the OP is simply hot because it’s metal. If it gets written to, the metal will just spread the heat around and make it hot to the touch. Your SD reader simply shorted. It’s happened to me too with a plastic drive randomly. OPs flash drive is just going to be hot because it’s USB 3 (more power intensive) and is essentially just a square heatsink with memory inside it. It’s unavoidable. It’s still a great drive though, I love it.