Why does Linux feel less responsive, less evolved, and utterly basic compared to Windows?

Why does Linux feel less responsive than Windows on the same 5 year old laptop?

Seriously, I tried using Xubuntu as recommended by Jow Forums and it feels very slow. Menus take more time to open, I can't rearrange things on my taskbar by dragging them, the desktop elements feel like they are 20 years old, there's screen tearing when I watch a video, the lock screen takes forever to display, the settings feel incomplete, programs take longer to open, the clock feels like a shitty widget rather than a part of the desktop taskbar, the file manager feels basic, when I dismount a USB stick, the "wait while data is being transferred" notification takes fucking forever to go away (like 5 minutes), and most of all, the task manager feels like a child's toy compared to the Windows 10 task manager.

Sorry guys, but if this is the best Linux can do, according to Jow Forums, then I am going back to Windows 10 until somebody makes an open source OS that isn't a huge flaming pile of shit.

Anybody else installed Linux only to be completely disappointed and run back to Windows?

Be honest, Jow Forums. You know Linux is less responsive and less feature-rich than Windows.

Attached: No_linux.png (334x393, 44K)

lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

Attached: 1127783554548.png (600x315, 152K)

thanks to Jow ForumsI tried Kubuntu for 3 days last months and had to go back because it was so buggy (especially firefox) and the file explorer was too shitty.
Now I'm back on Win 10 and my computer is running without reboot since 19 days. multiple programs open, firefox in three windows with 10+tabs each. it just works.

Because XFCE and Ubuntu are both shit. Do your research before you install an OS, fucktard. Either learn to install Gentoo, or at least Arch, or go back to your pajeet tier botnet OS that only retarded gamer faggots want to use. We're not here to be your tech support, nor do we care if you want to use GNU/Linux. You're nobody. Go play with your toy OS, where everything is done for you and your data is sold to advertisers if you aren't willing to do something on your own, you miserable baby duck. You can bitch about GNU/Linux being too hard for you to use, but it only makes you look like an idiot. You probably would mock a Mac user for not knowing how to run Windows, but you are exactly like them. I hope you don't use GNU/Linux, because you'd just shit up this board with stupid questions and never figure out how to help yourself.

>Linux is free because its not worth a penny.

I mean, it can run Firefox and play your music but other than that, I wouldn't trust it with anything else. Fucking thing crashed when I put in a USB stick and prompted a crash report.

actually Jow Forums isn't for windows users. you need to leave

Are Americans on school holidays or something? There have been so many whiny wangblows users on lately shitting up the board with their gamer shit.

>I tried Kubuntu for 3 days last months and had to go back because it was so buggy (especially firefox) and the file explorer was too shitty.

I almost tried Kubuntu but people were saying it was buggy as fuck and that Xubuntu was way more stable and while Xubuntu seemed stable enough, I suspect that was the case because it felt really incomplete. Everything felt like I was using a toy OS. Arranging desktop icons felt kludgy and slow and like it was from the 90's when I used Windows 95 or even worse than that.

I don't know how the fuck anybody uses this shit on a daily basis.

I bet anything that most people on Jow Forums use Windows or Mac than Linux.

Btw my Xubuntu clock calendar just got stuck in place for 5 seconds while I tried to type this post. I can't wait to install Windows again. Maybe I will do LTSB this time.

same here, I put vmware on suspend, windows 10 to sleep with dark souls remaster and edge open, back from gym and computer turns back on and everything just werks. no buggy video driver, no systemd shitting itself for no reason

Why should I feel sorry for you being a brainlet? Go back to wangblows and let Microsoft have your data.
Gamer faggot.

well, i actually think about giving Linux another try.
I think about buying a Raspberry Pi 3 and installing raspbian on it, to use it for browsing, writing reports in libreoffice and basic programming in python. thats what I do 70% of the time anyways. switching to Linux completely isnt going to work for me because I need to use CAD programs that are only available on Win7/10.

There are useless users like you who can't report bugs or provide any useful info about his issue, just whine like an idiot.

Attached: 1527875627186.jpg (750x734, 159K)

This isn't your blog.

Start/suspend is so perfect on W10, it trashed one of my external drivers partition.

it actually is his blog

No it isn't, retard.

Where can i unsubscribe?

I really like how kali feels/behaves.

What I don't get are the discussions about best os, shit os, etc. There is no such thing as a best os. Win10 for gaming. Win7 for Office/Photoshop/etc. Ubuntu for Facebook-machines. Kali for lots of things because it comes with handy tools. Headless Debian for home servers. Mac OS for gay retards.

you can't

Attached: CLAPPINGJIHYO.jpg (563x710, 38K)

There is a "linux" for idiots too.

Attached: WSL.png (412x134, 8K)

It's hilarious when Windows useds try to shit on Mac OS when Mac OS fills the same role as Windows while having far more utility.

>using desktop environment
found your problem
just install Source Mage GNU/Linux and i3wm
pleb

also, face it, you're justifying why not to use linux because
>muh gaymes
grow up

Attached: 1501218689789.jpg (312x402, 16K)

I have been running Kubuntu 18.04 since release after not having used Linux for years. It's the first time I have seen any any distro running more smoothly than Windows.

kys fucking M$lave, go play games and complain about fucking less responsive shit. Don't expect shit from Xubuntu cause it's bloatware and utter garbage, you should have installed Arch, Debian, Slackware or something lightweight. Fucking faggot

basicly
>OP installs the most shittiest of all GNU/Linux distros
>Takes +0.01 sec to load GUI
>calls it utter shit
>returns to M$lave and gets anally penetrated by Windows update
>fucking kek

>I bet anything that most people on Jow Forums use Windows or Mac than Linux.
and i bet anything that most of the windows users are indian and most of the mac users are lgbtqyddot

Attached: 46f17866bc1956ce54d33af1a9ae886cf2f024250267d4e8f6d8e71dd8412488[00:00:37.520]_[02.06.2018][09:42:08 (896x504, 43K)

pure Jow Forums uses GNU/Linux
mostly /v/ comes here with their gayming OS
and OSx comes from /lgbt/

if you don't use GNU/Linux as your main OS, then you don't belong on Jow Forums
need proof?
check our sticky.

literally this

No games, fewer cad/architecture programs, less freedom to bend it to your will... Mac OS is just a lifestyle product but serves no need at all.

Windows got all the software, backwards compatibility and hardware support.

Linux distros got ultimate freedom, offer enough of everything if you use your PC only as hobby, for coding or writing applications.

Mac OS is just for art faggots who are to hipster to use windows.

Installing Manjaro took 20 min and I could shitpost while it installed. And it came with far more useful stuff than Windows.
Shitty bait/10

>No games
Nobody cares. This isn't /v/. Go watch Linus Tech Tips or something, you RGBig faggot.
>fewer cad
It's all the same shit. Proprietary garbage.
>less freedom to bend it to your will.
It has just as much customisation as wangblows, which is very little.

You're no better than Macfags, wangtard.

Windows 10 is barely usable on a HDD.

because it is

>using desktop environment
>found your problem

You know that the majority of people don't want to use a non-DE, right?

Everybody with brains here knows windows is better than linux. Nevermind the linux losers and freetard variations of them.

That's a completely false statement.

>2018
>no SSD for OS
lmao kys

you dont even know how to use a toilet

what do you mean?

>uses one distro with one DE
>"zomg linux sux0rz!!!!11"
no, it's true when indexing service and automatic updates are enabled. my college has that set on group policy and the disk thrashes forever

What's up with all the M$ shills lately. It's always the same format too
>I installed (x distro) and (basic feature that has just worked for ages but I somehow fucked up beyond repair)
>Wow Linux as a whole sucks, I'm going back to Windows where muh games/Photoshop/"""professional""" software works
Like seriously. I'm a fairly new Linux user (about a year) and I literally have never experienced any of these problems, or have fixed them with a 5 second Google search.

it's summer time

>Linux distros got ultimate freedom, offer enough of everything if you use your PC only as hobby, for coding or writing applications.
>hobby
>coding
Ahh, I still remember the last time I met with my friends to code for free and share some beers

>Windows 10 is barely usable on a HDD.

This is complete bullshit. Running it fine on a 4 year old laptop with nothing more than a WD Blue.

Most people from /v/ have no idea how to use Windows either, so a basic fix doing a google search is beyond their ability.

Because lintards can't help but respond to anything that hurts their feefees, regardless of whether it's an overused copypasta or not, and therefore retarded threads like these receive more attention than needed.

>no, it's true when indexing service and automatic updates are enabled

I have both enabled. Look at my disk usage on my 4 year old basic laptop. I only have disk usage from my torrents seeding.

Running Windows 10 1803.

Attached: seeding.png (646x321, 18K)

The spread of misinformation is what causes a repressed society, user.

OP is winshill and faggot.
>Old laptop
>WinDOS 10

And Xfce ungly and sucks dicks, try Lxde

>retarded threads like these
What's retarded about it? Anybody with a brain can tell that Linux desktops are inferior to the overall experience of a WIndows desktop. Even people here on Jow Forums will tell you to not use a Linux DE at all because it's too slow and shitty compared to a tiling WM.

>the task manager feels like a child's toy compared to the Windows 10 task manager
That is massive bait.

oh, look, it's the same picture all over again
nice windows shill

Compare the Windows 10 task manager to the Xubuntu task manager. No comparison. The 10 task manager is more feature rich.

>oh wow the generic picture of Linux penguin with an anti symbol like that of ghostbusters means this must be shill!!!

>I won't refute the points! Just say shill!!!!

I wonder, is this childlike bind to big companies, or they pay you money? How much?

I've been distro hopping for a while and apart from a few bad apples, I don't see what you are talking about. I've a W7 install on my SSD, and always install Linux on a 320gb seagate from like 2006. Tried Arch, some Ubuntu flavours among others and I find that ubuntu boots just as fast as w7 for me, despite the disparity in the performance of the disks they are installed on. Browsers open just as fast, and programs feel just as solid if not more than their windows counterparts. Installing anything in Linux is a breeze, even when adding new repos, and not having to worry about stupid updates and simply updating the system is a plus too, in contrast to windows.

If you dislike a particular part, like the task manager, you can easily replace it. I however do not see neither the greatness of the W10 tast manager, or the inferiority of the one Xubuntu comes with. Can you elaborate?

I put $50 on OP running Xubuntu off a live USB image and trying it out without installing, then wondering why everything is so slow

I mean this has to be bait right?
>Omg moving things in the taskbar is DIFFERENT to Windows I don't like it I'm scared I'm going back.
You can drag things wherever you like in this menu. Or right click the panel and click "Move" and drag items physically.

Attached: panel_prf.png (350x607, 46K)

Refute the points, faggot. Just because MIcrosoft is a shitty corporation doesn't mean they can't provide a better desktop experience than a bunch of open source devs.

There's literally not a single good task manager for Linux systems. I've checked. Programs, menus, mouseovers, etc all open slower than Windows 10 does on the same exact laptop.

>I put $50 on OP running Xubuntu off a live USB image and trying it out without installing

I installed it on the hard drive. It was slower than my Windows 10 install when I got rid of to try Linux on a laptop I don't use often.

You can't drag and drop programs on the taskbar in Xubuntu. With Windows 10 you can easily rearrange them.

Can you elaborate on what a "good" task manager has or does, for example? Is it the looks?

htop

A good task manager should look good, have many tabs to control different aspects of the system, and provide information about the system's hardware.

too basic. you'd pick the Windows 10 task manager over that any day of the week but Linux has nothing like it.

How is it basic? Because it's in text?

why does it need a lesser feature

You probably misread this, what I meant is this:

Linux distros can be very powerful for the amateur or professional development of software.

Linux distros are also a very good fit if you see computers in general as a hobby, since you can spend years on exploring what depends on what, all the places where you can tweak (or break) stuff, completely overhauling it just with patience and a text editor, etc.

>You can't drag and drop programs on the taskbar in Xubuntu.
>Wahh I installed a different OS and things are DIFFERENT *sobs*

Also I literally have 4 Launchers in the very post you're replying to. They are custom program shortcuts and look like this on the taskbar, and you can drag and rearrange them to your hearts content.
You sound like you tried this for 5 seconds and are now crying like a bitch about every single tiny difference you can find.

Xfce is not a Windows clone. It is not functionally identical. That is not its purpose. There will be differences.

Attached: launcher.png (368x203, 25K)

>look good
This is very subjective, and thus a poor metric.
>have many tabs to control different aspects of the system, and provide information about the system's hardware.
The Linux counterparts do not have tabs for everything a task manager should, and they do not show hardware information? From my experience, they do both. Are you sure you don't want a huge hub that combines programs like coretemp, CPUz, GPUz and the like?

It's because you didn't use a PREEMPT kernel

>Also I literally have 4 Launchers in the very post you're replying to. They are custom program shortcuts and look like this on the taskbar, and you can drag and rearrange them to your hearts content.

I'm talking about the active programs on the taskbar. Rearrange them like you would tabs on a browser like I can do on Windows 10. You can't.

pure Jow Forums uses gentoo

Even if this is a copypasta, everyone still falls for the bait, I wonder what happened to Jow Forums?
Also,
>linux is better than windows (on the laptop keyboard)
i dont think ive seen that before kek

>Rearrange them like you would tabs on a browser like I can do on Windows 10. You can't.

Wow. That took me all of 5 seconds to find in literally the first place I looked.

Here, I'll even handhold you through it all:
Right click Panel -> Panel Preferences -> Items -> Window Buttons -> Edit -> Sorting Order: "None, allow drag-and-drop"

This is just getting embarrassing for you now. Stop posting.

Attached: windowbuttons.png (366x596, 50K)

after installing bash shell on windows i dont really see a reason any more to run linux on my desktop

linux is a kernel
>Menus take more time to open
it has nothing to do with linux
>I can't rearrange things on my taskbar by dragging them
>the desktop elements feel like they are 20 years old
>there's screen tearing when I watch a video
>the lock screen takes forever to display
>the settings feel incomplete, programs take longer to open
>the clock feels like a shitty widget rather than a part of the desktop taskbar
>the file manager feels basic
>when I dismount a USB stick, the "wait while data is being transferred" notification takes fucking forever to go away (like 5 minutes), and most of all
>the task manager feels like a child's toy compared to the Windows 10 task manager.
also, install gentoo

install gentoo

Omg guise, how to reorganise taskbar window buttons??

It's literally impossible!

Linux is sooooo hard to configure, how are you ever supposed to be able to find this???

This is some nerd incomprehensible hacker shit, what non-neckbeard is supposed to be able to find this super secret hidden menu??

When are they going to make an OS for normal people

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-02_10-55-48.png (811x703, 149K)

Ah, you had to dig through the menus, buried in a dropdown that wasn't set by default to drag and drop. I'll concede this since it works after changing a setting. My other points remain.

> bourne again shell shell

windows doesn't even have chrome preinstalled

>same theme
>2 posts about the same thing
>reddit spacing
sup Jow Forumslinux samefag shill

I haven't used Windows in years, but I understand some of OPs points. Dismissing points on the supposed 'responsiveness' which I've never experienced, I can vouch from my transition that: yeah - you start using a GNU+Linux distro, a lot of the desktop elements do feel like shitty widgets. Things don't feel as well integrated to each other, there's limited uniformity, some of the core utilities feel neutered.
But I think this is just down the first perceptions, and many of these things aren't real nor consequential. I made the mistake of first starting with GNOME and spending a week contemplating switching back to Windows because yes the file manager is shocking. The unity application browser is shocking, nothing makes sense, or configurable.
But eventually you find a file manager you like more than any other in the past, a desktop environment you fall in love with, everything comes together and you wonder why you didn't abandon Windows earlier.

This. Summerfags should be gassed.

You need linux to do any meaningful coding, and that's mostly what I use it for. I suspect many users are the same.

arch is superior though

Attached: pic2.png (635x338, 186K)

>2018
>not having a spare 120gb ssd and 1tb hdd for secondary setup
Just swap between drives if you wan't to have both and don't want to dual boot.

>2018
>swaping between two operations systems instead of GPU passthrough
if you really need these gaymes I mean

>the supposed 'responsiveness' which I've never experienced
What I mean by that is that everything feels slow. Menus, mouseovers, all have a delay to them. It feels like I'm working faster than my desktop is. I move my mouse around at the same pace on Windows 10 on the same laptop and it doesn't miss a beat, while on Xubuntu I felt like everything was less than second behind, adding up to one big slowdown overall. The whisker menu is the only thing on Xubuntu that is kinda fast and even that is slower than the Windows 10 start menu.

>you start using a GNU+Linux distro, a lot of the desktop elements do feel like shitty widgets.
YES!

>Things don't feel as well integrated to each other, there's limited uniformity, some of the core utilities feel neutered.
Everything feels cobbled together. Even on the so called mature DEs.

>yes the file manager is shocking. The unity application browser is shocking, nothing makes sense, or configurable.
Every file manager on Linux seems to be a complete pile of shit.

>But eventually you find a file manager you like more than any other in the past, a desktop environment you fall in love with, everything comes together and you wonder why you didn't abandon Windows earlier.

Which are?

/board

I use Linux subsystem with Windows Ten to use bash, which is really the only thing worth using Linux for.

One more thing than wangblows is worth.

>/v/ board
ftfy

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1527935958858.jpg (4000x3000, 1.97M)

>which is really the only thing worth using Linux for.

This. Linux is only good for programming and working as a server.

Nigga are you for real?

Win10 will fucking eat your compurer resources unless you disable a metric ton of spying

>Win10 will fucking eat your compurer resources unless you disable a metric ton of spying

Said a paranoid loser who has never used WIndows 10.

turn the animations off. It'll "feel" snappier.

I did. It was snappier but not Windows 10 without animations snappy.

Yet another dumb nigger cattle Jamal Tyrone trying to use os for white race. Thanks Buddha I live in eastern Europe and there are no subhuman nigger thugs.

Sieg heil!

Nice, now go back to

Attached: 297151947e24385700dd4bc50daa00a8.jpg (1280x720, 85K)

You mongoloid pieces of shit. To run linux you need a proper low latency 1000Hz kernel compiled for your cpu on top or get the fuck out.

Also, to the rest, stop being spergs and dual boot. I use linux when the software is better/exist. For others, windows 10.