/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot of tutorials on Youtube)
youtube.com/watch?v=YySa723VD2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=9M2-UIwWguw
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Overclocking
>Use Precision Boost 2 offsets to overclock Ryzen 2000X series!
>Delid i5/i7 -K series

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF closer to 2200G price
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

Motherboards
>Don't buy A320 (All Ryzen is unlocked)
>Only Z-series Intel boards can utilize fast memory

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Heavy usage/mutitasking
>32GB+ - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 560, $115; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 8GB, $220+
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti, 1060 3/6GB, or RX 570/580; currently overpriced
>GTX 1070/Vega 56 if you're looking for very high (100+) fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti, 1080, or Vega 56/64; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p
>GTX 1080Ti

Storage
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better price/GB) instead of small SSD & large HDD.
>m.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>2K is not 1440p
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous:

Attached: apu-and-pipi.png (1375x645, 421K)

Other urls found in this thread:

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/PYZt7W
pcpartpicker.com/list/6RWxHh
pcpartpicker.com/product/wFfhP6/nixeus-nx-edg27s-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-nx-edg27s
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=404&sort=price&page=1
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FTB89J
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/QvGj4D/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-8gb-aorus-8g-video-card-gv-rx580aorus-8gd
pcpartpicker.com/product/qGqbt6/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvgb
pcpartpicker.com/list/qC6CzY
pcpartpicker.com/list/rHxHPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/v7XTYT
pcpartpicker.com/product/MDRFf7/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-acx-30-video-card-06g-p4-6262-kr
pcpartpicker.com/list/HVWN6s
pcpartpicker.com/product/Q9vZxr/phanteks-eclipse-p400s-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec416pstg_bw
ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-SATA-M2-500GB-vs-Crucial-MX500-500GB/m209713vsm418385
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B360M-DS3H-rev-10#kf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

navi please

first for clever frogposter

>be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W
How's this PSU? I hear it's very quiet compared to other brands.

>>m.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
shit, really? I definitely got memed then. is this completely true?

>don't fall for the tempered glass meme, your computer is going to do better as a toaster than as a computer
i don't understand you user please clarify

M.2 supports traditional SATA and also PCIe
If you bought a WD Blue M.2 you get the same as WD Blue SATA
If you bought a 970 M.2 you do get better performance although for most retards it isn't worth it over WD Blue

what you're looking for is nvme
m.2 by itself is just sata straight over pci-e without a cable and will perform the same as a regular ssd

Prove it's not, you dumb faggot. You can't prove a negative like that.
No one who has done BCLK increase on Ryzen has reported any failures due to it. There's your proof. The burden to prove it's unsafe is on you to do it and show something failed and that the BCLK overclock is the cause.

If it wasn't safe, ASUS wouldn't recommend it.

>everyone is giving up free performance, including AMD
and Intel, and Nvidia, yes they do. They spec things to what their worst chips in the bin can handle and within a TDP that OEMs like.

Yes.

I prefer Trap Power.

Attached: BLCK 103.4 (conservative).png (572x767, 267K)

>and Intel, and Nvidia, yes they do. They spec things to what their worst chips in the bin can handle and within a TDP that OEMs like.
The entire industry just gives up free performance.
Use this one weird trick to gain free, safe performance on your Ryzen CPU. Click here to find out how!

How'd user get this for $490? I only saw the $530 sale.

Also where's the cheap Vega Strix that someone mentioned?

>tfw I kinda want to upgrade my pc but no good games upcoming and I play most of my shit on ps4 anyways
My pc masterrace faith is falling

Attached: god-of-war-kratos[2].jpg (1600x1200, 340K)

I'm surprised you still have any faith left.

Literally the only upcoming PC game I give a fuck is Bannerlord, and I don't care about consoles at all.

PCSX4

I like Oxygen Not Included.
I'm also looking forward to seeing how much Anthem sucks.

>I prefer Trap Power.
>Super Flower Leadex II 80 Plus Gold 650
Is something like this fine, also how's the noise on these units?

How the fuck do I differentiate between GPU performance across the same chipset? I'm looking for lower temps while maintaining air cooling (not replacing the stock fans).

My build is setup for a 1070ti, but now I have to figure out which one. There are threads about how this model has more pipes than that one, or how this series runs pipes ACROSS rather than ALONG. Is there any good reference to get all this info in one place that compares different brands?

Attached: 73470ba80d00ad596968413e2fdfa794.1600.jpg (345x345, 15K)

You can't exactly tell by looking at them, because sometimes the heat pipes just work shitty.
Sometimes their thermal paste sucks and you're too much of a pussy to replace it yourself.

As far as 1070s go, I wouldn't buy anything besides Strix, Gaming X, and the better EVGA models like with the ACX 3 cooler. I might be missing some newly released high end models if there are any, like say a HOF or Lightning, though.
Strix is probably the best of them, but it also has the shittiest warranty service.
>My build is setup for a 1070ti
By that you mean you already got a Gsync monitor? That's all you have to say.

just don't buy gigabyte, they messed a lot with coil whine with 1070/ti

Personally, I think that the models differ very little in speed, but sometimes very noticeably in noise - so I'd advise you to just pick the quietest of the lot or find a good noise / performance compromise. Most quiet cards are overclocked anyway, and I'd rather not have a screamingly loud card for 1% extra performance. But your priorities may be different. As this guy said MSI's Gaming cards are usually the quietest, closely followed by Asus Strix.

As for the Strix... I bought a Strix 1070 a while back. RMAed it because one of the fans had rattling bearings. Got a new one, all was well for a month, then one of the fans randomly spun up to 100%. RMAed it again, got a Strix 1080 in return that is running flawlessly for months now. Not that bad in my case.

thoughts?

Attached: budget build.jpg (1159x675, 90K)

That is a lucky ass RMA experience.
I guess they had no 1070s because of miners. Lmfao.

Yes. They differ almost nothing in stock speed because Nvidia didn't allow AIBs to overclock them. But you CAN overclock them for at least 10% more performance yourself, and the quality of the cooling and power delivery matters then.

>8600k
stopped reading

actually I read some more
>paying $600 for a Gsync monitor when the same exact panel in a Freesync model is $170 cheaper because you're a dumb cuck getting the 1070Ti when Vega56 is the same price.
The only reason you should be getting a 1060/1070Ti/1080 right now is because you already have a Gsync monitor

Why specifically 8600k?

>all of the freesync models of that monitor are either only $10 cheaper or aren't being sold by retailers right now
>vega56 is actually more expensive than the 1070ti and performs worse than it while using more wattage
if you're going to be a fucktard and shill amd by spreading misinformation then at least don't be an asshole about it

why not? I'm not doing any multi threaded tasks, its just for gaming. so i thought this was the best cpu for single core performance since 6 cores is all i could possibly need and it can overclock.

Attached: 9d5.png (2688x2688, 173K)

>why not? I'm not doing any multi threaded tasks, its just for gaming.
Why not 8400, if you are going for budget with no upgrade plans, or 8700 for best performance with no overclocking, or 8700k if you want the best performance and are willing to get a big cooler for it.

>so i thought this was the best cpu for single core performance since 6 cores is all i could possibly need and it can overclock.
That is correct 6 cores is about optimal for gaming, however having 12 threads gives some headroom for other shit running in the background. Not saying you have to get one or the other but how much money are you actively saving by having 8600k over 8700 or 8700k for instance?

so I just got an AMD CPU and am upgrading from an Intel CPU. Do I need to reinstall windows? All the info is on upgrading from amd to intel...

i am considering pairing it with a volta gpu further down the line when they come out though, just probably not until the ti model comes out. 12 threads sounds like a luxury i don't really need or want to pay for either, i just need that single core performance and the ability to overclock.

>not saying you have to get one or the other but how much money are you actively saving by having 8600k over 8700 or 8700k for instance
my thought process was that i at least need 8400 performance. then i upgrade until it no longer seems necessary or I'm paying for something don't really want. does that make sense?

yes but it's perfectly valid to just go lmao and not do it

fuck it, yolo

Attached: house.png (507x503, 457K)

So...wh.what GPU do you plan to use later on?
I mean if you have 1070ti, you can pretty much use 8400 or 2600/x or 8600k and so on.
Really it only depends on
>are you going to upgrade your gpu later
>will your cpu bottleneck your next GPU
>do you plan to upgrade your CPU then as well

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/PYZt7W
How is this build? Im trying to stay at 1200-1300 range. Not sure about the gpu yet and note that psus are overpriced here

i initialized my SSD as MBR. am i fucked, lads ?

i made this build around my monitor so it'll come down to if i feel the need to upgrade to get the most out of it. right now i think my 1070ti will be fine for it but i imagine if i do feel the need to upgrade later then it'll just the gpu being upgraded to be paired with the cpu i have now. unfortunately i can't see the future so i don't know what gpu that will be but like i said earlier i imagine i won't upgrade until the 1080ti volta equivalent comes out.

eh, again look at your local prices or what ever and tell me what the cost for 8400, 8600k and 8700 and 8700k is for you.

i'm just ordering online from the us. i live in canada so local vendors aren't shit compared to shipping and import costs

there's a solid chance i'll be moving to europe next year (from burgerland)
will I just need a new wallplug to plug into my psu if/when I move, or will it be more complicated?

>still not giving me the info I desire

I don't play a lot of games, and I use one display (1080p at that), so I don't think I'll need a better GPU. Will do some bargain hunting on ebay, though.

I like the case desu

Attached: Capture.png (625x613, 47K)

check to see if your PSU has a switch on the back that will set it for 240V use. If it does, you'll just need a new cable

You could get a better cpu cooler and 240gb ssd, other than that it looks good.

be careful with bclk oc. if you have nvme drives, it can get rekt. be sure your mobo has a clockgen before trying raising bclk. gigabyte boards, x370 gaming k5/k7 has one, also x470 gaming5/7 has one too. dunno about other boards.

this a good build to not only replace my old XP machine but for general gaming?
pcpartpicker.com/list/6RWxHh

>pcpartpicker.com/list/6RWxHh
looks fine. i suggest an ssd tho. also, drop the windows 10 (kmspico it!) and optical drive maybe.

Nonsense! It's free performance! I get livid at everybody underclocking their AMD cpus to 4.2GHz. It's extremely safe so anything less than 4.5GHz is an underclock.

what im telling you is just be careful if you have nvme ssd. if you have an nvme in your system, be wary, you can kill it with bclk oc if your board doesnt have a clockgen. i think most high end boards has a clockgen tho.

you might want a case with better airflow. The 2600X and 1060Ti aren't particularly toasty parts, but they are on the higher end.

Ordered my new PC featuring a Amd 2400G.
Very excited.

what would you recommend? i just picked that one at random since it was pretty cheap

looks good

>all of the freesync models of that monitor are either only $10 cheaper or aren't being sold by retailers right now
Uhh? It's $430. Same AU Optronics panel, just not clocked as high.
pcpartpicker.com/product/wFfhP6/nixeus-nx-edg27s-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-nx-edg27s

>vega56 is actually more expensive than the 1070ti
You have a $500 1070Ti there. pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=404&sort=price&page=1 Pulse model is $5 more.
Even if you went for the more expensive Red Devil (which was $505 yesterday), you still save $80 with the cheaper monitor for the same performance.
>and performs worse
It outperforms the 1070Ti at 1440p.
>than it while using more wattage
Nope, they're almost exactly the same. You're thinking of 1070 power consumption.
Vega56 power consumption is only higher when you overclock it higher, because 1070Ti has lower limits of overclocking. But you don't have to overclock it that high if you don't want even more performance than you can get from a 1070Ti. You can continue to have slightly better than 1070Ti performance for slightly higher power consumption.

>if you're going to be a fucktard and shill amd by spreading misinformation then at least don't be an asshole about it
What do you say now that you're proven objectively wrong? Going to apologize or just continue to be a faggot to someone who is actually helpful?

I'll let someone else deal with your retarded 8600k choice.
If you are poor you can get the 8400. If you're spending more money, 2600X is objectively the better choice until you get into 8700k and 2700X price range.

>i am considering pairing it with a volta gpu further down the line
Leave it to a brain dead retard to think Volta consumer GPUs will exist.

Not with a

>If you are poor you can get the 8400. If you're spending more money, 2600X is objectively the better choice until you get into 8700k and 2700X price range.
I have to agree on that

Best motherboard for Ryzen 2nd gen? Gonna start purchasing stuff needed to upgrade from my i5 3570K.

Can't multitask anymore while playing gaymes, start dropping below 100 frames and it's pissing me off.

>1080ti volta
me I'm looking forward the to rx3000 raja sue (he takes lisa's last name in marriage) special

BEST? Crosshair.
Taichi is also good.
Strix, Pro, Master when it comes to midrange.
MSI seems to have some of the better cheap ass boards.

Asus Crosshair is the premium option, as it has been for AMD for as long as I can remember.

Asus Strix, and Gigabyte Aorus are the next tier below that, though the strix is probably a bit better.

I've heard very mixed things about Asrock, sometimes they're great and other times you RMA 3 of them only to give up on it entirely. If you're at the budget where ASrock is an option, just buy MSI.

>I've heard very mixed things about Asrock, sometimes they're great and other times you RMA 3 of them only to give up on it entirely
This seems to be down to which production run a board was made during.

I've noticed the bad reviews are always over a certain chunk of time, then it's all 4/5 and 5/5 reviews other times.
Currently, the ASRock X470 Master seems to be the best for the price. But as far as high end goes, yeah Crosshair easy.

If idgaf about MUH GUI overclocking, which X470 would have the best spec? I want to set myself up for high end peripherals, nvme 1.3 dual gpu etc

What's the best Jow Forumsaeming machine 450 burger bucks can buy?

Attached: obama_hang.png (466x430, 226K)

Those are basic features, user...

2200g/2400g is obviously your only answer.

With shit/no ssd, you could barely fit in an rx560 or 1050ti, I think

aren't there issues where adding a usb 3 controller, nvme drive and dual gpu's tops out a board's pci lanes?

Alright, so I got a A320 mobo and a Ryzen 2400G. What are the limitations of the A320 mobo? Will it be able to boost to 3.9GHz fine?

Pretty good but I would get this
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FTB89J
If you could spend a bit more get the X470 Aorus Ultra and this 580
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/QvGj4D/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-8gb-aorus-8g-video-card-gv-rx580aorus-8gd

I think the 650W PSU is overkill.

Good, if you're near a Microcenter check the X470 2600X bundles. This kit is cheaper
pcpartpicker.com/product/qGqbt6/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvgb

this build outperforms yours in CPU and GPU performance:
pcpartpicker.com/list/qC6CzY

So i was considering building a new pc with 16gb 3000 mhz and a ryzen 2600x with a gtx 1060 but i am doing only gaming so i was thinking of getting a used 1070 (the price difference is not that much compared to a new 1060 6gb) with a i5 8400 and 8gb 2400 mhz ram. Is there a big difference between 2400 and 2666 with the i5? should i get 2x4gb or 1x8gb? i want to get 16gb but i won't have the money by next week after selling my old pc so i don't know if i will have any kind of problem by having 2x4gb and then adding 1x8gb later.

Attached: 1524000488808.gif (240x240, 321K)

>i5 8400
just don't.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rHxHPs

Attached: wew.png (1978x1466, 412K)

Yes it's fine. I would get a faster kit, the X470 Aorus Ultra, a 1070 ti, a small SSD and a WD Blue 1TB (I still don't trust Seagate, if you could spend $65 more consider a Black Series 2TB), a MX330, a 620 EVO and a cheaper keyboard and mouse.
pcpartpicker.com/list/v7XTYT
If you still wanted a 1060 I would get this one
pcpartpicker.com/product/MDRFf7/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-acx-30-video-card-06g-p4-6262-kr

No usually dual splits to two x8, and nvme usually disables two days.
X470 had barely enough pcie Lanes for most cases at 24. Z490 might have 32 but 24 should be all you need in your case.

Even 2666 to 3200 is over a 10% perf difference. And at that point you may as well have gone Ryzen.

2 cores

Disables two sata*. But anyway, that's 4 Lanes left over for sata and USB hub.

Here's my list
pcpartpicker.com/list/HVWN6s
I plan on upgrading the ram and the storage in the future but as of now, this is all I need

No, A320 mobos are locked. You'll be able to overclock the memory but that's it

What is the girl from?

Attached: 1527843871094.png (1208x1061, 1001K)

Solid build though the better Platinum PSU goes on sale like every week for that price.

And I wouldn't be surprised if that red devil model drops back down to $500 soon. If not, the pulse is still good, assuming it's still $505 and will probably get good overclock results as long as you stay at 1.1v or less.

I know the pulse cooler looks small, but Vega at normal voltage hardly uses more power than an rx580. It's way better than the gigabyte

No shit, its 300 more expensive
Dont i need a cooler for the 2600?

Great, if you could spend $30 more consider the Focus Plus 750 Gold, the faster MX500 500GB and this case
pcpartpicker.com/product/Q9vZxr/phanteks-eclipse-p400s-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec416pstg_bw
ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-SATA-M2-500GB-vs-Crucial-MX500-500GB/m209713vsm418385

The stock one is decent enough for 4GHz

Attached: 2600 Stock Cooler.png (1920x1080, 1.01M)

>average 69C

Attached: 1445873750669.jpg (250x250, 15K)

>want r5 2600
>x470 is like 3x the price and upgrading bios seems like an absolute pain in the ass
what the fuck do I do

Buy intel instead?

yes

You can get like $50-$85 b350 boards that'll run at least 2933 ram and and will send you a boot kit.
Also Newegg motherboard combos, but you're not US, are you?

Userbenchmark is shit. There a better source on we blue vs mx500?

should I get a 1060 or a 580? or wait till later this summer for something new?

I live in the US. Florida. Was mostly just concerned about shipping times and possibly having to ship it back. Dodn't want to buy all of my parts and then have to wait a week to do anything with them

580 if you have freesync monitor

oh shit I totally forgot about freesync, no way I'm getting cucked by nvidia then

In America, I hear people are sometimes getting their bootkits next day. But yes, you have to ship it back. Postage is prepaid.
>Dodn't want to buy all of my parts and then have to wait a week to do anything with them
Be more patient.
You could even get the motherboard, psu, and cpu now. That's all you need to get the bootkit and update BIOS since the bootkit is an APU it will use the video output on your motherboard.

Then you can use the other time you're waiting to look for better deals on GPUs. Today doesn't seem to be a great day for GPU sales.

If you can get a decent model (NOT gigabyte g1, msi armor non-mk2, asus dual, etc) RX580 8gb for $300ish, that's still decent to buy now.

Keep in mind that it's only the 1180 which will come out initially. 1060 came out 2.5 months after the 1080. They'll also probably be high MSRP due to VRAM prices. Given the way the market is now, I wouldn't be surprised if the 1160 doesn't even come out until the very end of this year, if at all. Pascal is still competitive so there is no point of them selling a larger more expensive die for the same prices. They may wait for 7nm volume before they sell a new *60 card.

Personally I've been looking for used RX570s and RX580s. They're starting to flood the used market but still high for a used card without warranty, so I'm still waiting.

>If you can get a decent model (NOT gigabyte g1, msi armor non-mk2, asus dual, etc) RX580 8gb for $300ish, that's still decent to buy now.
man the market sure it's fucked
anyway I'm in the eu and a lot of local shops have the xfx and sapphire pulse variants for 290€, are they decent?

XFX and Sapphire are the best as far as the low end models go.
But I'd generally say that when you're paying that much, getting the extra 3-5% performance from the higher end model becomes more worth how much you're paying.

You could always try haggling when it's a local shop. See if you can get the GTR, or Nitro+ for the GTS or Pulse price.

I should have bought that Strix RX570 when it was $200 2 weeks ago.

Are graphics cards ever going to go down? Fuck Bitcoin shitters.

Attached: IMG_4499.jpg (477x417, 40K)

the sapphire pulse variant has a worse heatsink than the nitro+ version and considering they go for about the same(at least in EU) it's better to get the nitro version

>You could always try haggling when it's a local shop
I mean it's an online reseller, can't really try to get the price down

> considering they go for about the same
dunno, maybe I'm just unlucky but they seem to be 30-40€ more expensive.
anyway should I go with the 4gb version, and save something, or it's not going to be enough for 1080p?

Sup nerds, I’m upgrading some POS Craigslist PC I got for $70. It has most of what I need, a quad core and 8gb or ram + ssd. All that’s left is a video card. Looking at the $250 range so a 1060 3gb is what I’m looking at. Since it’s not important that I upgrade right away, should I buy the 1060 or wait for new gpu’s from Nvidia. Thanks guys.

Attached: 3433D5D3-15F2-4939-B12E-7BEEA1A588D5.jpg (721x1024, 222K)

2 cores 4 threads

>should I buy the 1060 or wait for new gpu’s from Nvidia.
How long can you wait? New GPUs aren't expected until August now.

for 290 euro? No that's too much for 4gb.
It'd get 4gb if it's closer to 1060 3gb price, sure.

Really 4GB is not *that* bad. It's mostly high resolution textures made for 4k that use up much vram.
In games that have VRAM indicators in settings, dropping from ultra to "very high" textures usually drops me down from like say 2.7GB VRAM to 2GB. And it looks absolutely no different to me on my 1920x1200 monitor.

I might get a 4GB RX580 myself, just assuming I find a good deal. Though I'm also planning to upgrade next year or whenever there are graphics cards that can truly run 4k well.

Don't get 3gb. Lots of games use over 3GB now days and it tanks performance like 30% on that card.

Just save money and get a 4GB RX560 or 1050Ti.
Or wait and get an RX580. Or 1060 6GB when prices drop, assuming you have no plans to buy a new monitor which would likely be Freesync.

Since the PC was $70, I'm sure it will bottleneck more than a 1050Ti or RX560, anyway. I'm guessing it's like an i5-2400 which, yes, will definitely bottleneck the fuck out of a 1060 or rx580 in newer games.

>for 290 euro? No that's too much for 4gb.
it really depends if it's worth buying the gtr/nitro over the regular ones. Right now I have a 4gb card and I don't think I ever used all the memory, but having a cooler card would be nice

so are the 1050 TIs low profile cards stuck at 180+ price point?

gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B360M-DS3H-rev-10#kf
>3 Fan Pin Headers
does that mean that it's possible to use only 3 fans? So basically two for the system and one for the cpu right?