/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends making their own threads with >previous

Attached: 1527133528976.jpg (990x700, 637K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6bpfjw/guide_to_make_a_perfect_windows_10_iso/
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/wikis/MailConcept
cock.li/server
youtube.com/watch?v=wBp0Rb-ZJak&t=173m50s
dxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mailnews/compose/src/nsSmtpProtocol.cpp#1741
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RecordMyDesktop
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah, it's running an i7, it's a brand new laptop from Asus. I can get into the windows 8 installer and get to the point where I pick which hard drive to install it too-and it won't 'see' the SSD where windows 10 is sitting on. I've even made a partition in win10 to try and see if that works and it won't. It's an FX73VE-WH71 if that helps.

STOP 2HU FATPOSTING

Attached: reimu AAAHG.gif (221x231, 514K)

It's driving me crazy because I just cannot stand windows 10 and dislike its spying bullshit but it's for playing Steam games and the like that require 7/8

NO, KEEP GOING AS LONG IT STAYS UNDER FAT AND NOT DEVIANTART INFLATION TIER.

Open up a command prompt and see if diskpart sees the SSD.

So I looked into trying to find drivers for the laptop and it doesn't seem to support 7 or 8 at all

Is there anywhere I should check to try and disable most/all off the shit in win10?

You'd have to check the individual hardware ID's of the components to find out if they have drivers for the old OSes. With 10 you can TRY hard chopping shit out of the ISO

reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6bpfjw/guide_to_make_a_perfect_windows_10_iso/

But mostly the only way to get anywhere is by using an enterprise version of windows and disabling telemetry in group policy. If you're not a student, the only option is pirating. I'd get the education ISO here and activate it with MStoolkit.

tb.rg-adguard.net

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

Thank you user

>connect external hard drive to PC
>70 MB/s read speeds
>connect same external hard drive to macbook
>400 MB/s read speeds
why?

Somebody help me out here.

Simply put, I want to buy a Mullvad VPN, but I'm not sure if it's working in this free 3 hour trial I've currently got.

I put it on and went to this website dnsleaktest.com and sure enough it seemed to work fine, but is that all I need to be sure that it's actually 100% working?

I read up that Virgin Media (the provider I'm currently with) and their Superhub 3 (which I'm pretty sure is the thing I have) fucks with VPNs.

Can anybody give me some concrete information about what I need to do to ensure this shit is working before I buy it?

Here's a cute but dumb anime girl looking perplexed as the first half of my payment for your help.

Attached: 125324645855856856.png (870x1174, 76K)

USB 3?

Hey guys. So for the last 5 years I've been running the Asus NT-R66U Wireless N router in my home, and it's been great. I haven't felt the need to upgrade to a wireless AC router.

Anyways, I got a home security system installed and as part of the installation they threw in a ton of free shit, and one of the things they gave me (for the doorbell camera) was a new AC router, a Netgear R6220. They configured it as an access point to my original router (I wasn't supervising this, my wife was), so obviously that's not gonna fly.

My question is: Which router should I use? On paper AC is a far superior standard, but my Asus router has 3 antennas while the Netgear one only has 2. Does it matter? Is the AC router still a better router simply because the protocol is so much better? I was hoping one of you guys who's up to date on routers could help me out and give me a recommendation. Thanks guys.

Attached: 1 (1288).jpg (400x400, 92K)

what do you gotta eat to get fat like that

Is it a good idea for a intermediate programmer that has never worked on a project, but is knowledgeable with the syntax (JavaScript in this case), and a couple of other languages, to read the code base of some preexisting projects (something from github maybe) just to get the idea of how to design applications and see how "real world" code (in the sense that it's not practice code, stuff you do to learn the basics) looks?

With Javascript, a lot of times knowing the syntax isn't enough. The language is extremely loose and has several unique concepts not found in other languages, and that doesn't even touch how it interacts with the DOM in frameworks like React. Best place to start with the language is Javascript: the Good Parts (latest edition), then find a good book on ES6.

>t. Professional React developer, yes you may commence posting basedboy memes.

WHAT IS THE CORRECT ANSWER?
I SWEAR IT IS b AND I WILL EAT A SMALL PORTION OF MY SHOE IF SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN WHY IT IS d
there is no reason why out of band management VLANs on a hypervisor would need multicast traffic enabled when the multicast traffic is traversing VLAN's with prodution servers and a db server

Attached: the answer is b.png (1017x438, 41K)

Ok so i'm trying to wrap my head around email, or rather, the more detailed aspects of it.

So in the mutt wiki gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/wikis/MailConcept
it mentions that there are different programs that are part of the whole process, namely MUAs, which are the frontend clients, MTAs, which send and recieve. Clearly mutt would be a MUA, and they list Thunderbird (my current client) as another. MTAs are separate things entirely, and include stuff like Postfix and Sendmail.

So that raises the question: How does Thunderbird send emails out to my email account on a service? There has to be a MTA somewhere. Do I have postfix or sendmail or whatever running on my system and I just never notice it? I do know about null clients and that's apparently how you get those to work with mutt for the usual remote email account connections, but generally you need to configure sendmail or postfix to be able to act as that.

Does Thunderbird act as its own nullclient-configured MTA for the purposes of getting my email off my local machine to, say, cock.li? What is the sequence of events that takes place in Thunderbird (or any other brainlet-tier GUI client like Outlook or Apple Mail) that transfers the email over the internet?

Attached: email-logo.jpg (1000x1000, 217K)

I read JavaScript: The Good Parts, also I'm halfway through with Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja. My question was how do you learn how to implement this theoretical knowledge into actual code?

>So that raises the question: How does Thunderbird send emails out to my email account on a service?
you tell thunderbird who is hosting your email account and give it your credentials and it submits emails via smtp

This question literally makes no sense. I don't get either your answer or theirs to be honest.
>your answer talks about servers
>question does not talk about servers at all
>question talks about storage
>right answer talks about db server

Ignoring the entire thing you are talking abyot regarding multicast on a hypervisor, the question itself is shit. I assume this is for some sort of CCNA or something? Who made this question?

>What is the sequence of events that takes place in Thunderbird (or any other brainlet-tier GUI client like Outlook or Apple Mail) that transfers the email over the internet?
thunderbird connects to an smtp submission service, typically on port 587 on a remote host
the remote host then forwards the email as needed on port 25 until it reaches it destination

>your answer talks about servers
>question does not talk about servers at all
>question talks about storage
>right answer talks about db server
obviously the database is hosted on the storage hypervisor

>you tell thunderbird who is hosting your email account and give it your credentials and it submits emails via smtp
>thunderbird submits your emails via smtp

What?

Best way is to just decide "I'm gonna build X" and fucking go for it. When you get too caught up in the meta aspect of it you end up with analysis paralysis and never do anything

>. I assume this is for some sort of CCNA or something?
this is a 3rd party practice question for the CASP.
and i swear the answer is wrong.
the server1 and server2 need multicast enabled and so does the database because that is what they are communicating with.
it says the management VLANS need multicast enabled, which is downright silly because management vlans are out of band and have nothing to do with server1 and server2 talking with db server

Yeah, that sounds about right. I tend to overthink shit, guess that fucked me over. Thanks! .

>They configured it as an access point to my original router, so obviously that's not gonna fly
Why not? There's nothing wrong with a properly configured AP, especially on the 5ghz band, which has generally shorter range. Just make sure 2.4 is disabled on it. AC is really only important if you want extremely high network capacity, like for frequent, bigass local file transfers, or uncompressed local HD streaming. I'd stick with 2.4 as your main driver if you don't have a lot of competing networks in the area.

exactly.
>you tell thunderbird who is hosting your email account
yep, got it.
>and give it your credentials
yep, I'm familiar.
>and it submits emails via smtp
H O W ?
I don't have a MTA configured as a null client on my computer. So does this confirm my suspicion that Thunderbird is its own MTA for the sake of transmitting the email to the actual server?

>thunderbird connects to an smtp submission service, typically on port 587 on a remote host
Is that something that exists on, again as an example, cock.li? Or is this "smtp submission service" something that mozilla provides as an intermediary between the client on my system and the smtp server?

Attached: b90.png (645x729, 91K)

Still unsure about this one:
Is there a way in i3 to make a window take up only one side of the screen with no other windows on-screen and without making it floating? As a workaround, I've just been putting another window next to the one I want, like an empty terminal or something, but not sure if there is another solution.

Attached: picture.png (640x640, 38K)

Not that I know of, you could probably just get some terminal and turn the transparency up to 100% if you want jank.

>Got completely ignored again
Lads come on. Throw me a bone for once.

>Is that something that exists on, again as an example, cock.li? Or is this "smtp submission service" something that mozilla provides as an intermediary between the client on my system and the smtp server?
Usually mail services run an SMTP server, so yes cock.li runs an smtp server, you can see the server data here cock.li/server

When you configured your e-mail in thunderbird it asked you about it.
If it didn't then it already knew it based on what server you were using, they have a database of known servers so you don't have to configure anything.
Pic related.

Attached: 1523745533199.png (706x410, 13K)

Sorry I didn't explain. He configured it as an access point like 3 feet away from the router, not in another room of the house or anything. This is for the doorbell camera, they just give you a router too. So I was wondering if this AC router is an upgrade or if my N router is actually still better than it.

Does pure sinewave matter in a UPS?

CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD
vs
APC BN1100M2

I've had two APC units blow on me and they've replaced with this higher tier unit for free, so I'm inclined to support a company with such great customer service, yet disinclined to support a company with such shoddy products and considering CyberPower which has affordable pure sinewave units.

Attached: 6165880_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550.jpg (427x640, 42K)

I'm dual monitoring for the first time. Does it matter which one uses display port and hdmi? Should I have my better monitor use a particular one?

I'd go with your old one. That said, you can get a 100ft ethernet cable for $7 and add a mean extension to your network. Just set one's 2.4 network to channel 1 and the other to 11 and you're sittin pretty, assuming the set up the rest right.

I appreciate it, but I only need one router. Everything in the house is wired except for phones and the doorbell camera.

>pure sinewave
Not unless you have highly sensitive devices on the ups.
So medical equipment, audio equipment. research equipment.
For the standard consumer PC build, it isnt as important

my 2200W apc ups is 10 years old and runs 24/7.
APC is the superior company, your house must be wired fuckey.

>my 2200W apc ups is 10 years old and runs 24/7.
APC is now crap. 10 years ago they were ok but going down.
I use a CyberPower PFC one for about 6 years now and it's OK, although power outages are pretty rare around here.

You may need a pure sinewave inverter if you have active PFC in your PC power supply, otherwise the computer might not stay on during the power transfer.

youtube has stopped emailing notifications to me what RSS reader should I use for windows so I don't miss any uploads from my favorite channels?

Is there an equivalent of passmark/userbenchmark for ARM processors?

I'm quite new to linux and have been learning how to use Ubuntu better through this video
youtube.com/watch?v=wBp0Rb-ZJak&t=173m50s
I'm up to the point where he's explaining web services through an example of setting up elasticsearch. Tried to replicate what he's doing, but after starting the service I can't see anything when typing localhost:9200 on Firefox.
What could be the problem? Never used this kind of stuff so I have no idea. I checked the .yml (configuration?) file of elasticsearch and the http port is supposed to be 9200 like in the video.
Do I need to do something with my wifi router settings?

I'm referring entirely to what's happening on my side. When I write an email to my friend, using an email account that I already have set up in thunderbird, and send it, what MTA is being used to send the message from my system to cock.li?

I assume this will work, if not, find the name of the service file and run that
sudo systemctl status elasticsearch

Does "unsubscribing" from spam emails actually do anything?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (822x462, 33K)

Yes, but only because of an endless series of lawsuits.

It says the file is loaded and the service active, but still Firefox says "unable to connect".

>reallocated sectors: 64
How bad is this? I'm using crystaldiskinfo on a 1TB drive.

Attached: 1487574133106.png (441x387, 169K)

Do you have any proxy settings in firefox?

Unplug
Get replacement drive
Cold boot live usb
Backup data

I'm going to transfer everything to a new drive within the next couple of days (my latest backups are from 1 day ago anyway), but do you have an idea of how bad this actually is?

Is it possible to connect a 10 pin device to a laptop via usb? To be specific, I have an old all-in-one pc that I'm turning into a docking station. The touch screen sensor, card reader and usb ports are all 10 pin connectors on the mobo.

Attached: lil_b_anime_booty.gif (450x253, 1.73M)

It was set to 'use system proxy', I changed it to 'no proxy' but still got nothing on localhost. To be honest I don't even understand what these web services are yet since they weren't really explained. I assume the video will go into more detail on them later.

all it does open a network connection and write out the SMTP commands to the server, there's no fancy server stuff happening on the client.
You can see what it does here.
dxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mailnews/compose/src/nsSmtpProtocol.cpp#1741

I'm trying to set up an ssh server to my Linux machine. I enabled then started sshd.service and I can ssh to myself using my external IP. But I can't access it using the same IP on a different computer. I'm guessing I can only get through on my own computer because I'm in my local network. How do I access my ssh server outside of my network?

port forward port 22 to your machine running the ssh service.

what do you use to capture a small webm of your screen.
Platform, loonix debian.

trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop
If you want to do it yourself

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RecordMyDesktop
If you're lazy

Thanks. My power supply (HX750i) does have active PFC.

Seems like you just posted some stuff you've heard and didn't verify. Maybe stop doing that.

Firefox ships with a RSS reader out of the box I believe. Falling short of that, I would suggest looking for a browser extension that does this.

Yes, but some sleazy ones will just give your email to other spammers once they remove you just as a "fuck you"

thanx man, but I was looking in the debian repos and found peek... which is a fucking awesome tool and did exactly what I wanted. I wanted to record a part of a window.
I'll keep recordmydesktop in my program list

I've had a xubuntu installation for two years and yesterday for some reason the grub was a kali linux with options about starting kali, I started kali and xubuntu started normally. I run apt-get update and upgrade but it wouldn't work. Today when I booted I chose kali and after the xubuntu logo it just shows a black screen with flashing cursor going full black and back. It continues to this loop and just won't start. How the fuck do I fix this?

This is kinda tech related I guess. I ordered a Super Nintendo from eBay and the seller just threw it in a box with no packing material. It's all broken and fucked up of course. I order a lot of shit online but this is actually the first I'm ever received a broken item. Obviously I'm getting my money back, but I'm curious how I should pack this thing if they want me to send it back. I'm a seller too so I have lots of packing material. Should I package this thing properly to send it back or just throw it in the box like they did, which would likely end up even more damaged than the photos I sent them? I guess there's not really a correct answer here, just want some opinions. I don't mind throwing 20 cents of bubble wrap around it, I just hope this doesn't void my return in some weird way.

>You may need a pure sinewave inverter if you have active PFC in your PC power supply
Fun Fact: approximately 100% of PC power supplies have been active-PFC for the past ten years or so.

Just put it in cheap bubble wrap

Recently took apart my computer for dusting and cleaning. Started it up today and there's no sound

Device manager says the sound card is working properly, but I can't get anything out of it. Won't play normal audio or computer sounds. I tried switch the bus port but it asked me to reinstall the driver, and I don't have the disc anymore.

I think the card might be shot, but I can't really tell. Removing and reinserting it shouldn't effect anything on the software side

CreativeLabs SB0460

Attached: 1404165999100.jpg (1156x1520, 475K)

Going to be buying a use laptop for school soon, what are some checks I can do quickly when buying to make sure something isn't secretly fucked, a friend of mine also recommend speccy is that good? What other software should I keep on a usb stick for testing?

t. Tech retard

Attached: IMG_20180602_235611.png (847x1291, 744K)

How would I go about reverse-engineering a parking lot IR remote?
Is there a receiver I can plug into my computer and record the output using?

bump

Attached: hot anime girls.jpg (1500x872, 340K)

if your asking you probably cant do it yet.
look for a serial port on it and connect your laptop to that and start poking around

many embeded devices when you take them apart have pin outs for a serial connection

if your lucky you will find a firmware file of some sort sitting there and you can objdump it and read the opcodes according to the architecture and if your even more lucky the symbolic debugging notation wouldnt have been purged and you can see function calls like for example maybe something that would send a 500 millisecond pulse may look like:
push 500
call IR_Pulse

hey /sqt/, I'm not sure which Pi i should get for my home server. what would you recommend?

I've never seen anyone test out a laptop in-store like that. Don't think they'd allow it. Just verify that it's got everything you need before buying, not after - if something is defective, you should have time to return it if necessary.

maybe read some online reviews regarding whatever you're concerned with before buying that specific model?

dont. they have a very slow NIC.
go for an odriod xu4

Odd one here,

I'm upgrading my rendering rig and I have a ryzen system with a single 1070 in it.

since right now, I can get a new ryzen 1700 or for 30$ less, a 2400g.

I'm weighing the benefits desu. I have 16 gigs of ram so 2 gigs for the apu is no problem.

what I'm wondering is, what would get me better performance?
a full 16x pci bus with the possibility of sli in the future, and 8 more threads for 30$ more, or if I run my monitor off the apu and use the 1070 as a dedicated rendering card at 8x speed, would it be worth the trade-off in multi-threaded tasks and no possible sli in the near future?

Attached: Dad_375d0a_6614072.gif (326x182, 987K)

i was using raspberry pis with my home server to act as network peripherals (firewall, IDPS, DNS...) but they were an absolute networking bottleneck.
go for an odriod XU4

Attached: Home Server 2.jpg (3098x1907, 987K)

ahh really? in that case I'm glad I asked

PC started to reboot under load about a month ago, now I cant even get the fucker to windows most of the times as it gets stuck in a rebooting loop.
So far I tried:
>blasting all fans on max, not an overheating issue
>updating BIOS
>cleared CMOS
>checkdisk says no error
>crystal disk says no error
>windows memory test says no error
>checked RAM and tried the sticks individually
I planned on repairing the windows install/recovery/clean install but I cant make it due to aforementioned loop. Will attempt to test the PSU tomorrow with a multimeter. Any ideas?

I take it you're not getting a beep code?

this
virtually all display models are running a severely locked down version of windows

You could try doing a zeroing of the drive after you have backed up from it, that MIGHT correct it but even one unallocated sector i would ditch the drive asap.Not worth the unexpected failure out of the blue. I dont like risky parts in my system.

Will 480p video look bad on a 49 inch 4k tv?
It looks pretty nice on my 21 inch monitor

If it upscales yeah its going to be garbage
If it plays it at native 480p it wont

I asked this a few days ago on and it seems it uses md5 but its encoded as base64, however the two == at the end mean its padded and I just cant find how to convert it back to a readable string. Help?

Attached: 1527844295993.jpg (1334x750, 190K)

Why the fuck is is2.Jow Forums.org so fucking slow fucking jesus?

gookmoot cut servers in half,but yet added 3 more boards after threatening to shut down boards cause of bandwidth
AKA
CHEAP JEW CUTS FUNDING MAKES EVERYTHING SLOW

If he was smart he'd just introduce code on the high-traffic boards like Jow Forums and the image-bandwidth-heavy boards like /gif/ that just randomly fails one out of every ten uploads.

He should have a giant squid cache for Jow Forums,/gif/,/s/,/a/ and /b/

that won't accomplish the goal of driving away users of the bandwidth-heavy boards though

Why would you want them to leave?
Less traffic= less money for servers=less Jow Forums
Do you want less Jow Forums and want to go back to this?

Attached: lolmoot.png (1220x608, 474K)

>Do you want less Jow Forums

Attached: yes 3.gif (380x262, 982K)

INVOKE THE POWERS THAT BE.
BRING FORTH SNACKS,THE DESTROYER!
SMITE THIS INTERLOPER!!

Attached: wt_snacks_tan_ashamed_by_patryk_ludamage.jpg (438x350, 26K)

Is Microsoft Access still relevant?

I just happened to master it accidentally.

I have two windows forms, when I try to close one while keeping the other open everything closes, is there a way to keep only one open without this happening?

Jow Forums uses md5, dummy

literally open Jow Forums source code and ctrl+f md5
none of the archives rehash anything, they pull it from the Jow Forums developers API and simply repost it