CS Tutor

Anyone ever done any compsci tutoring at university? What was it like? Did you ever get questions you couldn’t answer? What do you do then? I’m wondering if it’s worth my time to tutor this semester for some extra cash.

Attached: F904C114-5A2E-4964-95D3-5144241AC757.jpg (1600x907, 81K)

>What do you do then?
google it
>the state of western unis

>declaring all variable at the top

kys grandpa

Unless you really know what you're doing, please don't become a tutor. I hate when I go to tutoring and the smelly curlfag in front of me doesn't know the answer and has to look it up.

While they sit in front of you, you google answers? Seems unlikely.

I got A’s in all the classes I would consider tutoring. Python, C, MySQL would be my top choices.

>not coding generically

pleb

#include
using namespace std;

template
size_t binarysearch(Functor f){
size_t result = 0, bit = size_t{1}=1;
}
return result;
}

int main(){
auto find_sqrt_2000000 = [](intptr_t x) -> intptr_t {
return x*x-2000000;
};
constexpr int size_arry = 7;
int arry[size_arry]={0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11};
auto find_5 = [&](size_t index) -> intptr_t {
if(index>size_arry) return 1;
return arry[index] - 5;
};

std::cout

that's a stupid algorithm, if you're iterating over the whole thing already (if < length) why can't you just check if each element is the token? why do you have to check what index you are on?

Very boring and lonely, but fulfilling the few times people actually turn up. Most times people knew the answer, but couldn't make the connections themselves so I just helped them walk through some programmatic thinking until it clicked. Sometimes someone taking some elective I never took would bring me some homework, and I had them come back in about three days which gave me enough time to work through their syllabus.

But that was rare. Most days I just studied and surfed the net in an empty room for hours, and said hello/goodbye to the IT and security workers.

Pic literally not related you autistic fucks.

Did you find yourself learning anything? Was it beneficial to you at all? Would you put it on a resume?

Templates != Generics

Learn to write some nice void* functions and do it in C if you want a real generic way of doing it.

I put it on my resume, sure, as well as any of the languages or concepts I had to learn and teach and demonstrate to tutor. In a way it was a faster teacher on a lot of stuff like JavaScript, R, C++ game libraries, C# windows, and Java frameworks than any of my classes which only stuck to theory and basic C++ or Java code.

I'd rather have had an internship I think, something more focused. Some days were just so boring and it feels like I wasted my day if no one shows up. I went to a smaller college though, and about a month into it I found out the college didn't do a good job advertising me so I went out and spread the word myself.

brainlet

Closest I've done is digging friends out of spaghetti code the day before an assignment is due.
I'd rather that than tutoring desu... sure I don't get money but if I was getting paid to help someone I can't just say 'na you're fucked this code is so bad I can't even tell what you're trying to do in 1/2 these functions'

I was TA at uni and let me tell you something people are retarded. I literaly got people who didnt know for loops task was dynamic programming in c++ i think... it was 4 years ago.
Its horrible job, i dont recommend it

>going to college/university to be a programmer
For what purpose? Just teach yourself

Thats why we have is-odd pacakges on npm....
Inb4 uni meme, i dont mean burger public cs colleges or whatever.

>programming == CS

Attached: 8nRqoXW.jpg.png (800x729, 48K)

>Python, C, MySQL
These are CS classes? WTF?

No wonder people think CS is about coding, with shit unis like yours.

looks like the point is to reduce the worst case scenario from "have to iterate over the entire list" to "have to iterate over half the list". caveat is that 'Array a' must be sorted.

programming == programming
CS == mindfuck for people who cannot into programming from from people who cannot into programming

No, those are the languages used in the classes I’ve taken that I feel most comfortable expressing different data structures and algorithms, you dumb fuck.