Any military guys here? What's the tech like?

Any military guys here? What's the tech like?

Attached: falcon_communication_system_b.jpg (550x440, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

harris.com/solution/harris-falcon-iii-anprc-160v-wideband-hf-manpack-radio
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shit that's probably 15-20 years ahead of anything you'll ever see in the civilian world, but also Windows 95 machines everywhere.

>also Windows 95 machines everywhere.
So 15-20 years in the future, after the nuclear holocaust.

You would probably get better replies in Jow Forums but I'll bite. Military tech is nigger tier tech that is held together by sheer willpower and literal electrical tape from the enlisted forces. On paper it's fucking forty to fifty year old tech that operates well enough for the forces on the ground. In actuality it being old does not make it reliable, simply put, when it goes down the enlisted force works nonstop until it comes back up. There is no hope for any upgrades either since the commanders in charge deny any fund requests for upgrades because they fear upgrading their equipment will lead to downtime which in turn will cost them their job. Instead all the money that should be going to upgrading their technology goes into stoopid unnecessary shit like $30K conference tables.

Pretty sure Royal Navy were using Windows XP until like 2 years ago or something.

>You would probably get better replies in Jow Forums

Attached: golden_kek_eyes.jpg (920x380, 62K)

The bizarre mix of super-modern and ancient. The budgeting works in mysterious ways.

Powerful hardware, old software.

Because most of the autistic assholes here couldn't even pass a PT test let alone serve in the military. There only hope would be doing contractor work with the military but you only see so much as a contractor.

The DoD trusts contractors more than their own forces. The Navy spends hundreds of millions of dollars in recruiting and training ITs and CTNs but still pays for HP NGEN contracts.

IT'S JAVA

Attached: ss-2018-06-03-02-58-52.png (1072x777, 52K)

Wrong, the cutting edge tech from places like raytheon and general dynamics takes 10-15 years to see field use.

I don't know about active military but I do know that civilian military (EPA and especially the Army Corps) still runs off Windows XP.
They mod the shit out of it though, for proprietary security.

varies with countries and branches but I don't think anyone would deny as a universal truth.

Windows 10 is actually one of the worst things to ever happen to us.

Windows 10 is one of the worst things to ever happen to anyone using computers.

Milfag here. Our aircraft carriers are 90% controlled by windows 95 because we have a legacy activex spaghetti codebase that is over 5 million lines that doesn't work with anything else. No one even remotely understands it at this point and just doing basic operations such as turning takes a huge concerted manpower effort. I've seen my fair share of glitches and if we are ever attacked in a serious situation we are fucked. Unlikely this will happen though because muh security theater. Btw most people on ships are ultra homo and are getting buttfucked by their superiors, it's part of the whole brownnosing thing in the military. We even have a brig specifically for aids that we jokingly refer to as the final chain of command

any blogging/site links where I can know more?

No? Someone's not going to blog about stuff that's going to get them vanned.

You see this. This is the Harris family of radios. It is Y2K technology that replaced the 1950s technology we had before. 1000 years from now archaeologist will not believe the iPhone and Harris radios were from the same period in history.

Attached: harris radios.jpg (600x399, 47K)

We just "upgraded " to windoze 10. It is true cancer.

Google TACIP, TETRA etc.

but are they rugged and EMP and NBC proof?

panasonic toughbooks

nigga Jow Forums has been taken over by Jow Forums now.

yes but they dont have touchscreens and apple logos :(

Anybody posting here that's also in a government military is a dumb goon in a lowly position that doesn't know shit a google search can't tell you.

I confirm this.

US military tech is 40~50 years ahead of western nations, 80 years ahead of Russia and 100 years ahead of China.

Middle kek

I know someone who who is in the special forces in my country

He said he caries three different kind of radio/signal/??? jammers during ops

>not doing this as a civilian
kek

...which is a good thing.

Oof owie my tax dollars.

It's a radio. What can they do better? Slap more filters on it?

Simplistic. The ship computers were running some weird as fuck os. t lance corporal in Finnish navy

the military uses old stuff. thats because when the military orders that stuff it has to be waterproof, easy to maintain, you should be able to drop it, etc. etc. so it must be redesigned, that takes time, by the time this stuff gets to the military, it is new but compared to the shit on the civilian market outdated.

when it comes to development, the military is unbeatable. ever looked up how much the development of smartphones costed?? no politician, civilian or anyone would have ever said: hey sure ill give you several trillion dollars for a mobile phone with stupid extras. the military would. every component of these fucking things was developed for or from the military.

falcon III is bulky piece of shit, hated using it

range, encryption, decryption, battery time, weight, maintain circles

lol finland is landlocked you fucking larper

First, landlocked countries sometimes have navies. Second, Finland has an access to the Atlantic ocean.

This guy has never server nor ever worked in the defence industry. It is decades since mil tech was defining leading tech. Defence want reliability over anything. In war you do not want to patch all your software or replace some part to make it work.

>"Whats your non-chinese tech rike western miritery guys?"

Nice try Mao, stick to building artificial islands and buying foreign real estate.

What a fucking lie that is. I work as a sys admin in a western military. Reliability my ass.
Atleast for the present time.

In movies,not in real life

>Finland is landlocket
lol what, also we have conscription, no need to larp since most men serve

China caught up to around 10 years behind in one day after they hacked the F35 blueprints.

Does Sweden have conscription? I can't help but feel that the phrase "Swedish men" is an oxymoron these days.

you think????

how about SMALLER and LIGHTER?

lol @ people posting their anecdotal "experience" when they're not in US. US has floating carriers and I don't see other countries being able to catch up to that.

I worked in a defence contractor. We had strict reliability requirements and were carefully tested on this. Not in the US though, still I'd guess US is no worse than that.

>Getting a felony because muh epic pranks Xd

Sweden abolished it a while back but they've since regretted it and reinstated it. I think Sweden should just go into a defence union with us. They could pay for the equipment and we would provide the bulk of the men. Then again, that would mean going back to "defending Sweden to the very last Finn" lol

Does anyone know someone who got a job in the military or similar field with a CS degree?

and? What, are you fucking scared?

As long as you're not Chinese (this includes HK/TW/SG/MY)

Falcon III is a family of different radios. Checking the Harris website I think they had a bit too much coffee when they grunted out this
harris.com/solution/harris-falcon-iii-anprc-160v-wideband-hf-manpack-radio
>The AN/PRC-160(V) is the market’s only standalone solution for Beyond-Line-Of-Sight communications in the absence of satellite.

That is highly refined garbage. Even radio amateurs using HF can do this, routinely.

Attached: kx2_large.jpg (1600x1158, 185K)