Apple hardware is overpri-

>Apple hardware is overpri-
>More expensive than Epyc/Threadripper or even Jewtel
>Slower and runs hotter
>Jow Forums loves it

Attached: talos-ii-lineup_png_project-body.jpg (749x374, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-epyc-xeon&num=2
youtube.com/watch?v=KrksBdWcZgQ
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/OpenPOWER_Firmware
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's unironically one of the most exciting machines of the last decade or two.

>It's unironically one of the most exciting machines of the last decade or two.
t. IBMtoddler

Attached: brainlet.jpg (645x729, 49K)

>A chance to have a workstation that's as quality as an old Irix but as capable as a modern machine.
>Also it's completely open.
>Only a few thousand dollars.
Seriously retarded b8, op. Don't reply to me without an example of any completely open system with even 10% of the capability at twice the price.

$0.05 has been deposited into your account.

Attached: intlel.png (672x794, 422K)

The hardware it includes is very hard to find in a product available to consumers, and is designed to run professional software, not vidya gaems. It also runs entirely on free software, which is a fantastic endeavor for a product intended as a proper workstation and not a mediocre netbook. This product actually has a reason to exist, and is not slow.

Apple's computers aren't exactly horrible, but they are the exact same flaky Foxconn parts in a chassis made of soda can metal. People who think they are special are drinking koolaid and/or don't know how to find a mobile workstation instead of a consumer laptop.

>and is designed to run professional software
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-epyc-xeon&num=2
Yeah it'll run all of your 'pro apps' at an unbearably slow speed so you can think about how much money you've wasted on this piece of freetard shit.

The machines are cool and all but they are more expensive than an iMac Pro. The same goes for that one RISC-V board. I get it. It’s interesting, it’s open but I just can’t convince myself to spend money on them. In the end those are products meant only universities and government facilities that can pay for it. For now I will keep playing nox86 with my ARM SOCs and MIPS routers.

>no backdoors, but hot
>fucking backdoor, but cool

>muh backdoors
Buying one of these machines will probably put you under more scrutiny

Why didn't you buy a PowerMac G5?

>>Apple hardware is overpri

You're paying for more than the hardware. I truly wonder when people will realize what an Apple product even is.

Bullshit. You are not going to do hard computational work on it like people did on SGI machines years ago. Any decent software that used to ran on those machines has been ported to amd64. At the end f the day you are just LARPing.

These numbers aren't too bad at all, considering how much the compared setups cost. Not everyone is poor, after all. :^)
Being on a federal wanted list should be considered a compliment.

If you've used Tor or sent encrypted messages you're already under scrutiny.

he's probably spent too much time reading nekochan where all the sgi autists are

How come the NSA let this happen?
We can't have the dirty plebs using secure hardware.

> nekochan
Everything makes sense now.

I want to buy the single socket motherboard and shove it in a powermac g5 case.
The G9 that never was.

Now I’m curious. Can it run snow leopard?

An iMac pro is an x86 fully proprietary shitshow. Apple hasn't cared about their desktops in nearly a decade. They don't even give a fuck about their laptops anymore.

I might have if I wasn't like 15 and poor as shit when they were relevant.

Apple hardware was ostensibly well priced up until the iPhone started taking off. After that basically no R&D went to making stuff for people who actually do work with their computers. Aka:
>What's a computer?

You don't know me, bitch. And I didn't say it's a replacement for an sgi machine's old use case, I just compared the quality. A more recent example would be the Powermac like user mentioned above. It's simply hardware tailored to a consumer that gives a shit.

Plus it's OPEN. This is by far the main selling point. You could buy a SuperMicro workstation or build your own shit with parts you know are good if you wanted very high quality botnet garbage. The Talos is the only ots workstation that lets you have a fully user owned environment.

Theres a fork of qemu por powerpc called mac-on-linux that runs tiger and leopard, we would need to patch that for little endian power9, or run it on top of big endian linux with nested kvm.

they're testing a >$6k intel rig (40 core/80 thread) versus a $4.5k talos rig (16 core/64 thread), the $6k talos motherboard + processor + ram combo gives you 36 threads and 144 cores
they're also testing the intel/amd with ssds while the talos is using a slower mechanical drive, no fucking shit it comes out worse on some tests, and the only tests it really does fail on is consumer shit anyway

I can patch cheaper and more performant x86 hardware to remove all the things I don’t want to. There are companies that offer those measures on their baseline products. I don’t care about what the fuck you are but I know for sure you are an autistic faggot who just want to roleplay.

You're a poorfag.

But I don’t think those two operating systems will run natively on POWER9 since they are mostly PPC and PPC64 fat binaries. Unless there is some kind of backwards compatibility which I doubt.

What? Like actually what?
Both POWER and PPC are based on the POWER specification.They are cross compatible. For example, the same Linux distro (also kernel and binaries) run on a G5, Intellistation and a Talos II.
POWER9 is obviously backwards compatible with every precious POWER release.

so what exactly makes the talos processor "open"?

can i download a verilog file of the entire processor as manufactured and released, and modify it however i want?

or is it some "open spec" bullshit?

>I might have if I wasn't like 15 and poor as shit when they were relevant.
Quad G5 with PCIe is still a manageable machine and you can get it for under 100€.

Of course not. Just because the ISAs similar, doesn't mean most of the other things are. Linux for example can run on both as it's designed to do so, OS X on the other hand was designed specifically for specific hardware.

No you can't.
>But I
No. You literally can't. Wake the fuck up. Everything we use is backdoored to hell and back, and we aren't allowed to peek behind the curtain.

I wonder if anyone has found hidden instructions in POWER?
I bet all cpus have some type of port knocking that enables backdoors.

yeah, that's the kind of issue i was thinking about
an open spec is nice and all, but there's no guarantee the manufacturer didn't add things in addition to what the spec requires that spies on the user or provides undocumented functionality

here's a very interesting talk on finding undocumented x86 instructions: youtube.com/watch?v=KrksBdWcZgQ

wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/OpenPOWER_Firmware
you can modify the cpu microcode if you want, all the relevant cpu firmware is open source, and it should go without saying but all the relevant motherboard firmware is open source

That doesn't really answer the question, I guess we need a Raptor engineer here to answer.

Thanks for the link, but I was hoping for something more than open firmware. It's nice to see the microcode that runs on the CPU, but I was really hoping for a verilog or VHDL project that encompasses the entire processor. In my not-so-humble opinion, calling a processor "open" without the entire circuitry defined and provided to the end user is just marketing babble

yeah sorry, best I can tell is that the hardware """blueprints""" are open to ibm partners but I don't think you're going to get anything near what you want

All design diagrams, microcode and firmware are available for members of the OpenPOWER foundation. Getting into the foundation requires proving you give a fuck about actually improving or studying the design and ecosystem. It's free for academics with no commercial goals, but if you're not at least a grad student you're probably not getting in. For businesses the min buy-in is 5k, up to 100k for the highest membership along with a position on the board.

Redhat and Canonical are on the board, leading me to believe the designs aren't backdoored. So unless the TLAs have people pulling switcheroos during fabrication we're okay, but honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if that were happening.

I see

Why are the design diagrams limited to openpower members? I'm guessing there's some kind of IP/patent restriction preventing them from throwing some files on a public git repo

There are some companies like chipworks that dissolve CPU dies, take pictures of the transistors and generate a report of the architecture, they sell these reports for thousands of dollars to other chip makers who believe their patents are being infringed.

>Apple hardware is overpriced.
All Apple products are over priced.

IBM fanboys are honestly the worst fanbase on this entire board. at least we'll only have to suffer them for a couple more years before the entire company goes bankrupt.

>not openbsd users

>36 threads and 144 cores

>what are economies of scale
They tried to fund an original one through kickstarter but it didn't reach the goal, so with Talos II they just made it cost what it needs to for the small production numbers they're doing.