Why does Jow Forums hate video games so much?

I mean, what's the point of building powerful computers if you're just going to watch videos on it and edit texts? Ridiculous. You can do that on a Pentium 1.

Quit being such hypocrites and admit it, gaming had always been one of the main drivers for technological innovation in the computing world.

Attached: 1050x600.jpg (1050x600, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-get-out-of-wine-dependency-hell/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There is no point generally. The people in amd vs Intel threads, and amd vs Nvidia threads, are just people from /v/ who somehow don't get banned. Pcbg is also from /v/.

And so are you. Leave immediately.

I'm running GNU/Linux, sorry

Video gaming is a waste of time.

>what's the point of building powerful computers if you're just going to watch videos on it and edit texts
encoding anime and fucking around with neural networks, faggot. now go back.

Are you that same faggot who made a "who's nerdier" thread yesterday?

Engrossing yourself in epic stories that take place in immesive settings is a waste of time?

Attached: ComeToLaugh.jpg (1280x1440, 190K)

what's the point of building powerful computers at all?

Except some fun and short competitive and mind harassing game.
Most of Vidya are like when you finally get to see heaven, they send you back to hell and told you that you wont ever have a chance to conback unless you giving up on thinking about heaven.

For gaming. Reality isn't going to escape itself.

Games are entertainment, its a double standard to call them a waste, turn around and then binge anime.

Attached: Screenshot_20180603_084424.png (2560x1440, 1.62M)

>Except some fun and short competitive and mind harassing game

What were you trying to say? If that sentence had anything to do with anything, I didn't get it.

>he's not using his powerful computer to hack the world
brainlet

Yes, it just makes you fuzzy for a while. You don't learn anything new from gaming, you just fill a void you deny is unnecessary for life.

not sure

bunch of salty minerfags

>if you aren't a GAMER you shouldn't build a powerful computer
>only gamers need POWERFUL computers
>compile your SHITTY programs on a Pentium 1
user, you're the reason why I lost faith in the future of the humankind.
(YOU)

>what are educational games

Attached: 1521805065376.png (817x443, 34K)

I kinda grew out of video games and it doesn't help that most of the new games don't interest me in anyway.

many people are spending more time playing vidya rather than doing something actually productive
vidya is meant to help you relax after work, not substitute it

Chess is not a game, it's a sport. Thing is, you become good at it by being intelligent, not the other way around.
Dumb wojakfag.

gangweed

hate to break it to you
sports are games

yes but is pic related

Attached: 1526858326960-g.png (500x301, 30K)

>he doesn't know about Tuxmath the open source and Free as in Freedom GNU/Linux game

Point and laugh at the fool

Attached: tux304.png (500x393, 275K)

Sports are sports, retard.

That sounds like gaming desu. You pick up a stick (joypad) and watch paint dry (colors on screen change slightly)

The only educational thing about that game would be getting so fucking bored you write a bot to play for you.

They prefer to play with tiling window managers and pony plushies.

Jow Forums doesn't hate video games, freetards do. Classic case of sour grapes.
Freetards get their entire identities from using Linux. If Linux is bad at something it means they are bad, so they're stuck inventing narratives all day defending their choice trying to avoid the inference.

Playing games and using Linux isn't mutually exclusive

Attached: Screenshot_20180603_090826.png (2560x1440, 2.31M)

The people who are into building PCs "as a hobby" mainly do it to get bigger numbers in benchmarks and possibly brag about it afterwards. Top of the line components have NEVER been worth the price, and PCs nowadays can last you a very long time compared to the insanity that were the 90s and early 2000s, so there's absolutely no reason for constantly obsessing over new cards and cpus. Just look at what's in the market when you need it and forget about it for at least the next 5 years or until something breaks.

What's funny is that both the games that pc elitists brag about and the ones with most players are not even demanding at all: they are either ancient or designed with low requirements in mind to reach a wider market. Even the big AAA multiplats are playable on relatively cheap computers, with the exception of the badly optimized mess that comes out from time to time. So, in order for you to "need" a very expensive computer, you pretty much have to handicap yourself by making up special conditions, like refusing to use anything but the highest settings, using huge resolutions and several monitors, convincing yourself that you need 120fps or that anything less than 60fps makes you sick, playing in VR, etc.

As for why Jow Forums hates games, there are obvious reasons: it's off-topic, attracts /v/ermin and can't be done in linux.

I run hyper-v VMs on it.
Modern games aren't fun anymore. I play on a PS4 since Sony cares about singleplayer games.

see correct on everything else though

I don't want to emulate shit from the 90s, I want actual real games that run nativerly without a hiccup or microstutter.

I have nothing against video games in principle, I don't play modern games because most of them are just shit.
I do play games from time to time, but it's almost exclusively retro games. Simpler, more fun and more entertaining.

Getting non-native games to run on Gahnoo/Linux unironically taught me a lot about KVMs, passthrough and software in general.

It's less about hating video games and more about hating /v/

Some games and most emulators work, but most games do not. If you are content with what you have that's great, but for a lot of people it leads to some serious cases of sour grapes. Like, what happens if you want to play modern futuristic racers like GRIP, Redout or Formula Fusion (or even Rollcage Redux)?

The game is actually from 2008, but you can play modern games too if modern graphics and gameplay are important to you, but...
All correct. For these games with no port, youre stuck with either GPU passthrough or WINE.

I'm busy and have limited time for games, and with the practically infinite number of games available, I'll just choose the ones that I can play (instead of worrying about the games I can't play)

Attached: Screenshot_20180603_093935.png (2560x1440, 3.05M)

The games I play I can't run on Linux. namely dark souls 1 and its remaster.

Pretty much this.

don't use linux if you think it'll only be a prison for you
however if you'd actually like to use linux (and not because someone is forcing you to) DS1 runs quite well in WINE, and the remaster runs even better in WINE with DXVK.

Doesn't run on my machine at all. I tried downloading all libraries and permutated some setting to no effect.

Attached: Screenshot_20180602_180353.png (1920x1080, 1.02M)

I play video games from time to time.

I hate the entire "gaming culture" that has evolved from it. Streamers/esports/politics/gaming "journalists"/fanboyism/etc.

You had me convinced for 0.5 of a second that you were using KDE 4, im dumb

look at this: gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-get-out-of-wine-dependency-hell/

Other than that, I would need to know what works and what doesn't work. It might also be an issue with primus, which I haven't used before.

>what is compilation
>what is virtualization
>what is encoding
>what are servers
>what are mainframes
>what are neural networks
>what is CAD
>what is 3D rendering for professional work (not related to games)
I could go on for hours, imagine being this fucking shortsighted, get the fuck out of your fucking bubble, games are merely one of the things that drive technological progress and one of the weakest I might add, all this other things I mentioned are far more important and more demanding that your childish videogames, now go back to /v/ and your job at McDonalds and leave this board immediately you illiterate scum.

Attached: 1513641801046.jpg (480x542, 42K)

You sound like a sperg.

the most autistic thing i have read all month
im in awe of this lad

Because having fun with programming is cheaper than gaming, I don't have to deal with proprietary software, drm and dlc and it's a great conversation starter when I'm going out with girls
And honestly, there is not a single modern game that interests me
Everything is having rpg elements which I hate along with online and achievements
Maybe I'm old though and jaded
The only games I have on my GNU/Linux laptop are scummvm, doom, quake 1 and 2 and duke nukem 3d, which I like but I hardly play them though

You're so wrong it's not even funny. Gaming doesn't drive the R&D process in the industry. What happens is CPUs and GPUs are developed for tasks such as scientific modeling, and after the cores are developed for these server and workstation applications, the OEMs find ways to then apply that technology to consumer electronics. Make no mistake, though, it's the private sector contracts that drives development and the consumer sales from tech they've already developed is the cherry on top.

everything you listed is a huge waste of time

Attached: muhs.png (361x484, 69K)

your post is stupid but yes it is true that the 20 year old boomer-larpers that hate on videogames suck cocks. anyone who really is into tech does acknowledge the technical mastery of high-level videogames.

>20 year old boomer
That's not a boomer then, faggot.

it's a hot new """meme""" to call non-boomers boomers, but even then I said boomer-larpers ie. 20 year olds who larp boomers

wew laddy

Attached: 1527123173465-g.jpg (960x422, 25K)

Attached: 1527961005989.png (1024x749, 196K)

These are things a personal computer shouldn't be doing.

>not releated to games
Ah yes, modeling the next trans-gender dinosaur for the film industry?

It's probably a driver issue, to be honest. Old ass GPU.

Most of Jow Forums hates video games as a combination of the following factors. Sour Grapes, Hating /v/, and having to justify their

Personal computers are a mere small branch of why computing evolves, faster computers are made for actual relevant things, and PCs get a push as well because of it, not the other way around.
Even then, the most powerful desktop CPUs (i7, Threadripper) do not have videogames in mind, gamers that buy this CPUs are pretty stupid since HT is practically not used... y-you do know that right? I certainly hope so if you are on this board (not really).
Arquitects and civil engineers have much better use for 3D rendering than gaymers, just to mention something. Not everything is entertaiment friendo.

>Architects
Thank you for your service in 3D modelling the most basic and simplistic architectural period in human history with cut and paste glass towers and boring ass bridges. Video games require more effort and man hours.
t. /his/

Imagine being this fucking ignorant, serious rendering for arquitects is one of the main uses of the Threadripper, but stay buttblasted and keep putting your dumb videogames above everything.

Jow Forums hates everything popular

every GPU application other than gaming is GPU manufacturing trying to open new market outside for gaming. nVidia still makes 60% of it's revenue from general public.

I'm sure it is honey. Basic rendering for basic structures isn't pulling a 4.0GHz requirement or even a 1080. Worst part of that job is bureaucracy,shit I bet you already have 100s of cookie-cutter templates premade that are simplistically edited to fit local codes. Really showed me. Go build another McMansion.

Attached: 1522786947071.png (536x800, 163K)

Have you seen how fucking retarded and mangled postmodern architecture is? That shit takes serious skill to make workable.

Do you know how rare and exclusive that is? 99% of buildings are pre-designed and plopped down wherever, there is literally no soul or actual effort put into them except for the bare minimum. Try living in the Midwest, they fall apart like papermachet. I bet he needs a Threadripper to render squares alright.

TR underworld was pretty boring tho

Old Radeon? That's probably the reason since flgrx isn't supported anymore

>anyone who really is into tech does acknowledge the technical mastery of high-level videogames.
Creating high level games may be a technical mastery but gayming and benchmark fapping is not. And /v/ fags only care about the later.

You still sound like that dude from Big Bang Theory.

>being this new
Just because someone is too young to be an actual boomer doesn't mean he can't behave like one.

It's boring

Says the guy posting on fucking Jow Forums

Not really considering that dude played gaymes

Jow Forums doesn't hate games, it hates /v/. Go back.

well fuck off then lad, me and my pals (all programmer types) back in the days we're always excited over the new cool-ass hardware. I'm sorry your depression has brought you to a state where all you do is rice your dotfiles and post bitter shit on Jow Forums.

Does Jow Forums hate /v/ because its a reminder to you that normal people talk about computers too, and influence the market more than you do?

Attached: GT51CA_-11-Large-600x398.jpg (600x398, 37K)

>Basic rendering for basic structures
You keep making shit up you heard somewhere, just stop, you are embarrassing yourself.
Look up how much CPU does it require to do some rendering with Cinema 4D even for panoramic 1080p pictures, seriously, it is for your own good, and will give you some perspective.
I don't watch shows written by Reddit.

>video games
>epic stories
Holy shit read more books you absolute faggot

Many videogames, in fact, have _epic_ stories.

>Books
What a fucking boomer

What is NOT a waste of time?

>moving the goalposts

Name one that isn't a ripoff from a TV show, movie or book.

Name 10

>muh goalposts
I can hear your butthurt all way across the Atlantic.

Wheres my cookiecutter McMansion?
All modern stories , even ones you can personally come up with, have been done before. Storytelling is a template and you fill in the gaps. Don't be an autist "T-HATS JUST A RIPOFF!"

Do you fagots know what it means to have an _epic_ story?

To be fair, he said "epic" not "good".

Plus, he posted an anime picture, so his standards for story telling can't be very high.

Be nice to the retard, user.

Games made by westerners for westerners are terrible, the few weeb companies making decent games are dead or don't work on PC, therefore there's no real reason to play.

I mean, who the fuck would actually in their honest mind spend money for Coffee Lake to play Battlefield 5?

>All modern stories , even ones you can personally come up with, have been done before.
Oh I actually believe most modern stories are like this, people don't like to think, and the ones "you come up with" are influenced by things you have already seen.
But actually believing new original ideas are not possible is a very dangerous thing, it actually terrifies me people like you exist.

Ok, write a story that doesn't follow the Rising/Falling Action template, doesn't feature stereotypes of any kind, doesn't feature familiar literary elements, and is therefore completely new and original. You can't. Its asinine. You HAVE to piggy back.

t. YA genre fic reader

Planting your seed in a blonde aryan women.

>white women

Attached: 1527345301097.jpg (1024x768, 148K)

>Book
Now that's an overrated story telling medium.

Why the fuck would you name a marvel of technology "Coffee Lake"