Are these the next big thing?

Are these the next big thing?

Attached: fanless-laptops.jpg (620x400, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jNC4sDIGQ_A
youtu.be/0yYgSaZmxWA?t=131
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not unless they become waterproof.

I'm so sick of hearing my laptop fan turn on and off every 8 seconds

Yes, once Apple shows everyone else that powerful ARM laptops are feasible and superior to x86.

They already, shitty companies put any recent Celeron Pentium under a shitty full aluminium heatsink and a thermalpad and dont care as long it is 80°C while its under warranty.
See any laptop with a N3050 or newer.

i mean with a non-shit processor though

Pretty much this

The market for laptops is going to be split between ultrabook domimation and gaymer garbage

Outside intel M5 CPUs with a proper cooper heatsink, no, and you wont see it in years.

>The market for laptops is going to be split between ultrabook domimation and gaymer garbage

as it should be

why can't they make cloud based cooling ?

Attached: 1527427261170.png (128x119, 20K)

I miss the underpowered notebook, gayming laptop and business laptop era.

Probably. There's no reason my mother needs a 15w i5 whose fan turns on and off constantly when web browsing. I'll probably buy her an xps 13 2-in-1 when her current one kicks the bucket for that tablet meme as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Steve Jobs destroy the netbook segment with one sick burn as he prepared to unveil the iPad.

>The problem is, netbooks aren't better at anything... They're just cheap laptops.

youtube.com/watch?v=jNC4sDIGQ_A

did anyone with an above-room-temperature IQ buy a netbook?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 has a passive cooled 15W quadcore.
Don't know how much it throttles, but modern processors really do amazing things with 10-15W.

i heard the surfacebooks tend to die after a year or two.

Apple has a fanless one, so....

No, and that's in Celsius.

Because clouds are near the sun and the sun is hot.

>800 MegaHertz

That's a lie

consumer reports sez

what's the difference between silent and "no fan"?

Why don't laptops use thermoelectric cooling instead of fan? No noise and it can even go to below 0°C.

Attached: 1524370293003.jpg (525x503, 58K)

Because planned obsolescence means you cant get quality devices.

I have a fanless laptop with linux and it runs fine. The silence is quite nice. I will never get a fanned laptop for light tasks again.

>tfw my t440s is nearly dead silent at max

Attached: 1527718512722.jpg (750x730, 39K)

>tfw my x61t is silent because i turn off the fan

Same with my T460p

I am typing from a fanless laptop with an i7-7500U. It's not really that fast but it is better than the M series.

Because they want a battery life of more than a few minutes.

Because you guys have a real cooper heatsink in 45-35w CPUs.

>my laptop isn't hot enough, it needs to be scorching.

>fanless laptop with an i7-7500U

what model laptop? i don't think this exists

That is because you are using the Gimped 7.5-15w version, it can work from 7.5W to 25W, if you force it at a slow speed you will never have to put a good heatsink on it.

But the x61t uses a 17w processor.

Huawei MateBook X

It's actually at 9.5W out of the box.

I've been using a Samsung Chromebook which is fanless. Can't go back to fans anymore. Also so nice not having your laptop burn your balls and kill sperms.

ASUS, chinks and Huawei do, but they gimp the CPU so it cant be used at its full potential so it never overheats.

If you want it to overheat you can use XTU.

But then it turned out the iPad couldn't do hardly anything even a netbook could, it just made using Facebook and candy crush on a bigger screen simpler for normies.

>Are these the next big thing?
probably not. Low-end laptops will be fanless from now on, my N4200 13.3" laptop is fanless. And it's mostly fine. Do any kind of workload that taxes the CPU 100% on all cores for more than 5 minutes and the bottom of it does get hot and the CPU starts to throttle. But it's not like I'm going to be doing much video rendering on it anyway since it's a N4200. A machine that can and will do tasks like that needs a fan and this won't change for years and years.

Apples pathetic joke attempts at computers don't count as examples of mid/high end CPUs working well in fanless laptops. Those things throttle so badly they perform a lot worse than similar functional laptops with much weaker CPUs. Don't know why they even offer those fanless macbooks with failing keyboards in i5 or i7 options when they perform worse than the N4200 in many real-world tasks.

I don't see why they would force a lower clock speed because of poor cooling.
If it gets too hot it will throttle.
Sometimes even one second at full speed can make a big difference in user experience.

Maybe they reduce the maximum power draw so they could cheap out on the battery and power circuitry?

Single fan laptop could be a thing, where the central fan is big enough to actually cover the unit.
3000RPM minifans on the other hand is a nightmare.

>Don't know why they even offer those fanless macbooks with failing keyboards in i5 or i7 options

Because "i7" sells.
"It's a high number so it must be gut and just as fast as my desktop i7....

I'd be happy if they were all done the same way as the 2013 macbook air. It has fans, but even when they're cranked all the way up playing some left4dead2 i can't hear them, i can just feel their output if i put my hand behind the hinge. There's no grille on the bottom either, all of the air is ejected out of the hinge area where (i think) the speakers are, also. I wouldn't call myself a "macfag" because I don't upgrade to every new Mac that comes out (as evidenced by the fact that I'm using one that's 5 years old) but this particular machine is very well built.

Which will never happen because the "laptops have to be thin" meme.

The iPad is a better device than laptops for web browsing, photos, video, games, and ebooks, which is exactly what Jobs proposed. Power-wise, iPads from the last five years eat 2009 netbooks for breakfast.

get something better

My N3050 Acer ES1 has a fan

>the "laptops have to be thin" meme.

Yeah, who says portable computers need to be portable? Apple is so fucking stupid amirite guys?

>going to be split between ultrabook domimation and gaymer garbage
what rock have you been living under?
it been like that for the past 6-7 years

What is the advantage?

N3050 doesn't need a fan, but one is really good if you care about durability of the laptop.
Unless you go full retard like ASUS does, Pic related.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x225, 16K)

>My bag can't fit something that's 3cm thick.

Width, height and weight impact portability.
Thickness is just for aesthetics.

Less heat, less noise, more compact. Not everyone likes their computers to look and operate like a boiler room.

Yes. For $20 at Goodwill. 64bit atom with 2GB DDR3 and 256GB hdd. Makes an excellent little machine as a pseudo-terminal. Set up mosh on all of my servers, used setfont to give myself a comfy tty font, and did tmux splits one for each server machine. It's perfect for managing a cluster of headless machines.

Every dimension impacts portability. How fucking dumb are you?

>literally using an entire computer for a font server

>Less heat

You mean MORE heat.
Without a fan the whole laptop heats up.

Are you retarded? Fanless laptops are fanless because they dissipate less heat to start with.

Tell me the last time you couldn't bring a laptop because it was too thick.

It's equal to or lower than the temperature of a laptop with a fan. This isn't hard.

>Without a fan the whole laptop heats up.
sure, that's true but I'll argue just for the hell of it.. it's less heat on a fanless laptop because it'll throttle like crazy on any and all multi-core workloads that last any duration (spike when you open a webpage won't matter but transcode a video or something and it crawls to a halt). A laptop with a fan will gear up the fan and keep on trucking - generating more heat that's expelled - while the fanless one will become hot and stop generating that much heat.

Attached: 160501 우주소녀(WJSN) [MOMOMO] 목동 팬싸인회 - 팬싸 시작 (엑시, 성소, 은서).webm (872x540, 2.94M)

fans make the battery life worse

every
dimension
impacts
portability

>doesn't grasp basic thermodynamics
>calls me retarded.

You want a shitty CPU that throttles down constantly, I get it.
How about using your phone RETARD.

But some more than others, spergmaster.

edip?

Attached: 1475586131404.gif (200x200, 2M)

Not really, CPU will bottleneck/throttle itself to a certain speed it.

Or you could choose optimized software that works well with your hardware so that it doesn't burn up your CPU.

I mean, come on now.

Who gives a shit show much heat the laptop generates?

With a fan it stays cool to the touch.
Without a fan it's uncomfortable to keep on your lap or to keep your hands on the keyboard.

I'm so tired of having to open laptops and add a switch that makes the fan run full speed.

edip is why Apple has been the market leader for laptops since 1991.

>pajeet attempting to un-Apple himself

Any load you put on it generates heat which has to dissipate through the casing.
Even idling generates heat.

>get a better computer with a fan, initially quiet
>dust works it's way into computer
>at some point, normal operation causes fan to switch between speeds

Ultrabooks are difficult to hold on to. I'd take something the size of a t430 any day.

Awesome, now I can use Google while doing some particularly difficult underwater basketweaving.

>using your phone
tell me more about this 13.3" phone with a IPS display and back-lit keyboard like my fanless N4200 powered acer swift laptop has. I'd like to hear all about it. A small laptop screen is superior for any kind of media consumption and a real keyboard is superior the moment you need to type more than a sentence.

>optimized software
I guess you missed the part about multi-core workloads of any duration. If you need to render or transcode a video file or compile something then it'll load all cores and take some time and there's no optimizing that away.

not true with mine, it never gets uncomfortably hot. I suspect it's because it throttles like crazy before that happens.

Attached: WJSN_1stminialbum-fancam-001.webm (1280x720, 2.57M)

Modern CPUs have built-in hardware encoders for popular formats like H.264 and HEVC. Unless you're rendering to RealVideo you shouldn't expect too much throttling. Even so, why are you encoding video on a laptop?

>put the hot side with another peltier plate
Wa la!

>get business laptop
>adjust fan curve
>silent 90% of the time
>fans dont even spin up
>lift keyboard up and blow out whats little dust got in every few months
get something better.

no fuck you, it being too thin is worse to carry around you than a brickhueg one.

somewhat related, do they still make super thick laptops?
I'm willing to carry around a 15cm brick powerhouse.

Let me guess:
It's peltier plates all the way down?

you make it sound like the iGPU part of a CPU is somehow except from basic laws of thermal dynamics. It's not. Watching a video with vaapi iGPU decoding (not encoding) brings the CPU temperature to 80C - at near-zero CPU load.

as for hardware video encoding, for me it's a non-option for everything but streaming. the quality still isn't there compared to software encoding.

and yeah, it's not like I'll be encoding a ton of two hour long 4k on a weak-ass fanless laptop

Attached: Cheng Xiao (WJSN) - She is so freaking cute ♥.webm (820x720, 2.62M)

Kek

>get something better
I will, I'll get a fanless laptop once they're matured.

>Watching a video with vaapi iGPU decoding (not encoding) brings the CPU temperature to 80C - at near-zero CPU load.

I'd wager that's more the result of a bloated, power-hungry x86-based architecture than a problem with hardware-accelerated decoding in itself.

>Laptop that's got a 14" screen, is 1.2" thick, weighs 5 lbs, fits into 98% of bags not owned by homosexuals, has proper cooling and is easy to service

OR

>Laptop that shaves 2 lbs and 0.5" off the above to achieve muh aesthetic and a marginal increase in portability at the cost of serviceability, longevity and performance
>Oh but my skinny, underdeveloped arms can lift this one so much easier and it fits perfectly in my BasedBag!

Law of diminishing marginal returns, have you heard about it motherfucker?

Buy a desktop.

Or buy a 2.5lbs laptop and 0.8"-1" thick with a proper heatsink fan with Dual cooper pipe.

Clean it then. It's normal maintenance, like changing the oil in your car. Replace the thermal paste when you're at it. My Thinkpad T520 is literally silent 90% of the time, the fan only kicks in when watching youtube in >1080p, and even then it's barely audible.

>Using apple as a example of quality
Every single macbook Pro has multiple defects.

>mfw fanless laptop with core lMao in it
I can still watch mongolian caricatures as well. Maybe we'll have some good ones after Zen3 or some shit that can do some gaymes as well.

It isn't that these laptops have fans, it is that you cannot service them. In the ancient desktop world, mobos used to have dinky little fans cooling their northbridge chips. They would be silent at first then turn into absolute screechers after six to eight months. You had to pop thing out and lube the bearings or better yet, replace it with a fat heat sink.

Attached: 1408921221727.jpg (180x235, 10K)

>It's normal maintenance, like changing the oil in your car.
Everything's normal until something comes along which negates the need for it.

I have a Huawei matebook X and yes they are
gotchu covered senpai
youtu.be/0yYgSaZmxWA?t=131

yeah well much like friction
heat isnt going anywhere

>Jobs shitting on netbooks

It's kind of funny because Apple basically designed the best Netbook ever made, the 11.6" Macbook Air. They were never really on my radar until I saw someone using one last term. Not sure who has actually used/seen one but they are TINY. Still really capable machines though, decent keyboard and a good touchpad. I now really want one but they're still very expensive, a 3-year-old 2015 model runs around $500, which is difficult to justify when I could get a brand new Ultrabook for the same amount. Plus it feels wrong that I'm lusting after a Mac.

Attached: Macbook Air- 116 vs 13 comparison.jpg (3000x1687, 292K)

no, laptops with notches are the next big trend