Is it me...

Is it me, or have I never seen a single argument for using CRTs that didn't involve their application in running old-ass video games? Seems like a rather flimsy rationale to want to use some huge-ass radiation cannon for a TV.

Attached: wega.jpg (719x600, 41K)

CRTs still produce more accurate colors and don't suffer from pixel-blocking when running lower resolutions than maximum

They're trash. Don't listen to these nerds.

Grew up with them and I was an adult before I started using LCDs. Only people interested in CRTs these days are turbo-autists and underage hipsters.

>t. reddit

That's pretty much all they're good for, but they're really good at that.

melee

Attached: jab_reset.jpg (600x500, 83K)

Modern video games are trash so that's a perfectly valid argument

I know this is likely a thinly veiled bait thread made by some retard, but I'll bite.

Superior motion is the big one for me. LCDs have absolutely shit motion other than native 144hz applications on a 144hz monitor. Films and games are much smoother, and panning scenes etc don't jitter and look shit unlike LCD.
Superior colours. Unless you've spent close to £1000/$1500 your LCD is likely shit for colours. IPS has terrible blacks so don't even bother with that. Not as important for most people but superior nonetheless.
Variable resolution. Unless your LCD is displaying native resolution content it's going to look like shit. This is why they're good at retro gaming.
Greater brightness. I run my CRT monitors at 25% brightness because anything greater is too bright for me. This gives a lot of headroom for a good, bright image. Not so with LCDs, where most monitors have reasonable brightness at best.

Are they perfect? No, they take more power and space, and they give out some heat. Radiation is minor and you probably get more from spending 10 minutes next to some granite than a whole day in front of a CRT.
Would I recommend them to everyone? No, they're no better for text work and the average pleb shitter doesn't need the quality improvements they give.

Motion quality is a huge factor. I don't understand how millions of people collectively decided that they want to see smear trails every time Tom Brady throws a pass.

Why are you using a TV from 2004?

>CRTs still produce more accurate colors

This isnt 2007 anymore

Correct, and they still manage to produce more accurate colors.

They still make new ones in China, Taiwan, and India. Apparently some Indian company acquired Sony's manufacturing equipment.

Probably shit quality though.

better darks
accurate refresh rates

It is noticeable side by side on a high quality CRT. Weight was really it, power draw means nothing to people who can barely add.

But now TVs are like any electronic device, before they felt like real appliances.

I still have my fake toshiba tv. Worked for two decades. Now i have PDP.

This is correct. CRTs using huge amounts of power is a half truth. That only applies to the initial few seconds after being powered on. After that, they don't use any more power than a flat panel.

Someone needs to go to Best Buy and harangue the minimum wage employees about this and the industry has some nerve peddling TVs like this.

The only reason to ever run anything below your monitor's native resolution is if you have a high-resolution monitor, but then CRTs aren't really an alternative to begin with.

lcd are the iphone of monitors

The only legitimate argument is viewing angles.

Attached: n2oaaG.jpg (221x250, 5K)

And color and blacks and motion quality.

Is that a Pokemon?

and variable resolution and reliability and these days price

Easily the best bang for your buck in displays if you have the space for one. The vast majority range from free-$50.

Don't listen to those boomers. CRT technology is outdated and causes cancer.

It's not just you. There's literally no other reason to unironically use a CRT display for anything else. But as they say "use the right tool for the job" and anything other than a single fixed resolution looks like ass on LCD displays.

this

>The vast majority range from free-$50.
Only if you get shit tier TVs sold new for $150 on black friday 20 years ago or get lucky at the thrify store. Any decent model will go for hundreds and that doesn't even include shipping.

Stop buying online. I got some production monitors from the local TV station last year for free. They only need a few small repairs, too. Just ask around.

>have CRT TV for Melee
>use as extra monitor when not playing
>watch old 4:3 anime on it

I work at an engineering firm that has a closet full of CRTs somewhere but they require the president's or owner's signature to take them off-property because the company name is on them and improper disposal could cost them fines. I'd love to take them all off their hands.

Most retro game afficianados wouldn't really chase after a run of the mill CRT TV. Mostly PVMs or high end CRTs like B&Os etc. Partly because of picture quality, resolution "matching", RGB connectors and price (!).

For most people it's pointless, sure, but there's always going to be certain people who will search out an old quality CRT over a cheapo LCD. They're really unbeatable for the price.

Personally i just use an older 24" LCD with RGB and all that jazz but i would honestly not mind buying a PVM at some point.

I kind of wish I hadn't gotten rid of out Trinitron monitor, but the colors were fucked. They are old and will need help. I don't want a giant toaster I don't know how to repair. So I'll buy the latest / fastest LCD.

>After that, they don't use any more power than a flat panel.

Sure they do

Samsung SyncMaster 997MB
>19 inches 100 watts

Dell M992
>19 inches 110 watts

ViewSonic G90fb
>19 inches 100 watts

Meanwhile a typical dell 24 inch monitor today is around 25 watts

The market has spoken and CRTs are not what consumers want.

[citation needed]

>The market has spoken and CRTs are not what consumers want.

t. Apple employee/marketer

>radiation cannon
kids these days...

Old games will be affected by serialization if the television doesn't do composite/AV cables natively. In other words, if the TV was designed for HDMI (99.99999% of non-CRT TVs), you have an unnecessarily large delay between pressing a button and getting a response.
Also, some games (light gun games, mostly) use scan lines to function.
So, yeah, I guess they're meant for running old video games and people who love their A E S T H E T I C. What's wrong with that exactly?

Didn't old games use RGB, rather than composite?

Wait they worth money? I live in a shithole and my mom still have one. Do you mean I can sell it to first worlders?

>shithole
>most likely PAL hertzlet
Enjoy your shitbox, the most you'll get is $5 from an erecycler.

>being a Never Twice the Same Colour resolutionlet

At least I'm not staring into a strobe light.

That never applied to TVs after the 60s.

your boy got bodied at Splash just now

>hertzlet
>impling pal screens couldn't do both
desu phase shifts always pretty visible, even with corrective standards

CRT run at 0ms input speed even the LCD branded at 1ms run at 9ms in reality humans can perceive 2ms

No they don't, CRTs are just sRGB which literaly any midrange LCD can do 100%.

>oh no, my remote works 1ms slower, how will I watch TV like this?

Got rid of mine last month, after I've learned there are Component cables for the OG Xbox. Ninja Gaiden Blacks looks good on a 36 inches HDTV at 480p and widescreen

>PAL
>movies play too fast
>games play too slow
>no 480p over component

>old deprecated tech is old and deprecated
stop the fucking presses

No, movies are fine and games are for children who would never know the difference.

not computer CRT some have really advanced color profiles and if you tune them they can display way better colors and wider range.

can you name examples?

>what is vidya gaymes

Light gun games don't work without a CRT. How am I gonna play duck hunt :sad:

Beyond using it for old media, there's no much point using it.

I have a crt monitor, how do I use it as a second screen on my computer?
Nvidia board

If/when OLED comes to the desktop there won't be any advantages to CRTs. For now, CRTs kick the pants off LCDs in response time if literally nothing else, but they also generally have better colors, refresh rates, and (subjectively) nicer-looking pixels. They're also heavy as shit and suffer from burn in sometimes.

Attached: hnng.jpg (480x640, 97K)

Use DisplayPort or DVI to VGA. Keep in mind multimonitor is annoying with VGA, since it will become your default screen for things like BIOS/UEFI even if the screen is off. VGA hotplugging doesn't really work either.

I keep my old 16" CRT for this purpose only

For me I find it's the opposite. If I have my secondary HDMI monitor plugged in BIOS screens will display on that instead of the CRT on the DVI port.

you become an hero if you open it~
that's why

I have 2 17in crt monitors I used to use as a dual screen setup before i got a LCD. One of which is sitting on the "monitor shelf" of the desk next to my lcd (one i have had since around 2000 it's special to me) , the other was just a free old dell one someone was throwing out that i took for trying out dual screen that now sits on my ibm ps/2. TV wise I also have 2. One is a 27in Sylvania the other is a 20in flat tube Sylvania(this one I used during my first years of college in late 00s because dorms). but I also have a Vizio HDTV.

The number of people commenting in this thread that know absolutely nothing is quite astounding. Even more so than most threads.
Underage morons with no experience of the technology past maybe a 10" composite only shitbox they had as a child in the mid 2000s.

The 'better colors' meme hasn't been true for 10 years. Todays CHEAP ips and va displays have better colors than good CRT monitors did. For all the problems with blacklight bleed and black crush of modern lcds, crts had horrible artifacts and glass glare/reflections.
I'm not sure where the meme about CRTs having great blacks came from either - perhaps a few high-end CRTS did, but then so do some high-end LCDs.

Yeah, they really don't. A decent calibrated CRT will be better for colour work than any LCD you can get your hands on. Larger colour space and greater contrast.
When was the last time you saw a CRT monitor? When they're displaying a black screen in a dark room it doesn't even look like they're turned on. LCDs have black crush and terrible absolute blacks, especially IPS. No LCDs, even high end ones, have particularly good blacks. They're incapable of producing it without backlight dimming, which brings with it a slew of other problems.

Reflection is a problem, and OLED can theoretically match CRT for many of these factors. They still suck for motion and latency though.

I'm sorry you don't have a soul

CRT's don't go up to sRGB, dumbass, it's the opposite. sRGB was designed based on the bare minimum any and all CRT's could do back then.

>perhaps a few high-end CRTS did
even high-end ones have terrible blacks.

Attached: $_86.jpg (1024x768, 83K)

>CRTs using huge amounts of power is a half truth.
Yeah, the other half that they use more power in idle than modern monitor uses when actually doing something.

>A decent calibrated CRT will be better for colour work than any LCD you can get your hands on.
Yeah, I would expect that $3500 CRT from 15 years ago would display colours slightly better than $120 IPS display.

Most CRTs have awful blacks, I have no idea where this meme comes from. Their worst disadvantage is brightness though, LCDs are drastically better in well-kut environments.

While it's true CRT screens reflect far more light than most LCD screens in a dark room CRT will perform far better than LCD due to the self-emissive nature of CRTs versus backlit or even edgelit LCDs. Even then it's only a matter of time before LED-based display technology sends both CRT and LED to obsolescence since it's also a self-emissive display but this time it's thin, light, and power efficient.

It's comfy watching old tv without black bars on either side.

> radiation
electrons hitting a phosphorescent screen aren't going to give you cancer

While it's true what this person says- Obviously cranking the brightness up or shining a light on a CRT will dramatically ruin the blacks, but this effect is as bad on any glossy LCD and matte LCDs are, with a few exceptions, not as good in general. Shining light on any screen will ruin the blacks and contrast in turn, it's just that CRTs tend to have quite reflective glass, a problem partially solved by higher end CRTs.

Absolute rubbish- every CRT I've seen has massively superior brightness to LCD.

this

>it's just that CRTs tend to have quite reflective glass
it has nothing to do with glare or how reflective the glass is. putting a matte coating on it isn't going to change the fact that the screen itself is grey and not black.

>problem partially solved by higher end CRTs.
higher end crts tend to have quite light tubes. you're more likely to find a darker tube on some shitty consumer grade tv.

Attached: Sony_BVM_14F5E_Monitor_Rental.jpg (1449x1007, 302K)

>Seems like a rather flimsy rationale to want to use some huge-ass radiation cannon for a TV.
nobody said you needed a large CRT to enjoy old video games though

i got a CRT with s-video/composite/component that was just small enough to carry home, so your loss faggot

>all metal build
>buttons and knobs everywhere
>looks like something out of a spaceship operator's panel
Why are these things so A E S T H E T I C

some were RGB Capable (Sega stuff, SNES and i think Gamecube, and some 8bit computers), but most used Composite or, at most, SVideo before Component became more common. Also, Europe used SCART on their TVs but that wasnt a guarantee that it had RGB, some only had pinouts for composite, likewise for JP-21.

many PAL sets that used SCART had RGB, but not the lower tier ones, those had SCART that only did Composite.

this. then again, we're in Jow Forums where there are genuine tinfoils in here who wont use 'botnet' distros or social media due to paranoia

I only remember the Commodore 64 using S-Video, although my current laptop also uses it. All the consoles I saw as a kid, Sega and all that, were outputting RGB.

My old laptop i have uses it as a combo SVideo/Component output (there are even VGA adapters you can get for the port), but the Amstrad and some MSX models also did RGB. all of SEGA was RGB from the start, but Nintendo only had the SNES as RGB til, i think the Gamecube was somewhat capable (i know it had a digital Component output in some models), and then Component rendered most modern RGB applications obsolete with digital displays via HDMI on most modern consoles (Wii was the last one i think that didnt do HDMI, and the Xbox OG and PS2 did Component 1080i as well as RGB)

Mine has a full sized DVI port next to S-Video, so I think the S-video port is just a relic from the CRT TV days.
Once Amstrad bought the Speccy it did RGB, I think. The Playstation also did RGB. Naturally all the 16-bit computers and onwards were RGB. I never saw much Nintendo. A few SNESs, but that was about it, so it doesn't surprise me that they didn't worry about RGB, since only Europeans ever used it much.

CRT has greater color gamut, has wicked fast refresh rate, if we applied modern technology to CRT, we might get some very interesting results. It's dead though. It's better off dead. All the good things in the world to say about it, better off dead.

No, movies aren't fine. Movies play at 23.976fps while PAL runs them at 25.

What movies are you referring to?

I got film and NTSC framerates backwards. Film movies run at 24fps and PAL runs them at 25, NTSC does at 23.976

I literally picked this up today for $50, faggot. Trinitron G520

Attached: IMG_20180604_231532.jpg (3264x2448, 795K)

I meant to reply to you, homosexual. You don't buy online unless its a crownjewel and you wanna pay big bucks. You look in your area. Retards think these things are trash. Some post them on markets for cheap. You can find them in ewaste places too.

Attached: IMG_20180604_231851.jpg (3264x2448, 1.18M)

I miss CRT, lads. Just the number 1024x768 looks so comfy. I hope to one day acquire a 16:10 CRT monitor.

Attached: 10002625.jpg (300x300, 9K)

CRTfags are mostly underages.

Have you actually used one of these high end monitors? The blacks they produce are darker than the unlit screen. This can be seen if you force it to underscan.

>The blacks they produce are darker than the unlit screen.

Attached: 1521379539596.png (1440x1557, 738K)