Times when showing your power level went wrong

Times when showing your power level went wrong

>Insurance meeting at work
>Talks about how they are moving all their paper work to the cloud
>someone expresses concern
>Insurance guy says it's secure because it's in the cloud
>I say, the cloud is just someone else's computer and is as secure as such.
>get written up for disrespect.

Attached: 135.png (680x680, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_absence
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Enjoy the last laugh, friend.

Quit. A company that writes you up for telling the truth (or, worst case, giving your expert opinion as a technical professional) does not deserve you.

>be in an UberConference, I'm screensharing
>want to pull up some screenshots from earlier to report a bug
>Pictures folder is full of Jow Forums and Jow Forums memes
>have to scroll all the way to the bottom to get to the screenshot
>everyone is quiet as I scroll

Working on it. Holding out for an actual tech job.

People that say "the cloud is just someone else's computer" are insufferable

Attached: 1527560805564.jpg (800x723, 53K)

because it's true, it is just another computer.

Post what your folder looks like nibba

nothing wrong with what you said, the fact that you got written up for "disrespect" shows that the company you work at is run by insecure people who don't want their self-percieved intelligence tampered with
either that, or you were acting like an asshole about it
>actually, mr [last name], if you weren't as tech illiterate as you are you'd know that the cloud is someone else's computer, and a lack of basic knowledge such as that proves your incompetence and gives you no right to comment on this

Let me switch over to Windows, can't get .jpg to generate thumbnails with Nautilus + i3

Here you go.

Attached: Image 1.png (3840x2160, 2.75M)

Fortunately, the worst ones are in subfolders, but still. Couple of them in the root folder are pretty NSFW, and so far I haven't heard anything.

And where should I go exactly?

Fucking LMAO hahahahaha I would have busted out loud

Which cloud service do you work for?

Absolutely amazing.. some people saw some weird shit and others probably didn't see anything too bad. Post the frog with a giant dick plz

Prolly fuckin' Azure or OpenShit

Attached: 1526190884488.png (1011x1354, 368K)

>unorganised may may folder
gross

Attached: 1523424954978.png (3078x2564, 120K)

Only ones downloaded in the last two-ish weeks. Everything else is in a "Collections" folder + subfolders.

Also, one of the worst parts is pic related, which sat at the top left corner after I had scrolled all the way to the bottom.

Attached: no way.jpg (600x600, 34K)

For what you are saying to be true, cloud would have to be solely virtualization.

Today, opening the AWS console would make your head spin if you were new to everything. SQS, a message queuing application, is one example of something that makes creating applications easier in that space. Yes, you can use any MQ service, but then you need to manage them, and monitor them for reliability. This is just one example of many. It is not "someone else's computer".

Even just plain ole EC2 is tons of strung together distributed systems in order to launch an instance for you. The network protocol and software-defined networking that allow you to have VPC/security groups are not simply "someone else's computer". The metadata service curling information from your localhost, creation of volumes and snapshots, preparing your own machine images, etc. These are not just "someone else's computer".

What you are actually referring to are old school hosting providers like OVH. That is in fact someone else's computer. There's a different though, and you are either being ignorant to it with this claim, or you know better but think you are being clever, further supporting

So, the cloud is just other people's computers?

The cloud is more secure

If it wasn't all the cloud companies would be sued into oblivion

Different user here, by the definition of the word "computer", yes. But the implication the other user is picking up is you mean "hurr my desktop tower is a server", which is incorrect.

>>I say, the cloud is just someone else's computer and is as secure as such.

cloud is more than just "someone else's computer"
jesus christ when will this meme die?

The other day I was working on something and my boss came up to me and said
>"Are you ready to receive a message from me?"
and I said
>"I am read to receive a message from you"
and then he said
>"OK"
and told me his message.

Right after that I told him we just did a threeway handshake and explained its a basic part of internet communications. He just stared at me then asked if I was going to do the thing he asked me to do.

>an electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.

Software and features don't really fall into this. These are things run on someone else's computer, as is the rest of the internet, but even a vanilla EC2 instance is more than "someone else's computer".

Attached: 1453301370050.jpg (1095x662, 126K)

>doing uni project
>someone says to just google for every answer
>"google? you mean that kike coorporation filled with minorities that drink baby blood in pedophilia orgies? no thanks, duck duck go that if you know whats good for you"
>visible concern from everyone around me
>get a warning

Attached: 1367264323369.png (507x423, 247K)

Right. I manage a handful of dev and prod servers, I'm just saying that by the very definition, a server is a computer. There are major differences, both in hardware and software, but at a base level a server's a computer, in the same way at a base level, my smartphone's a computer.

and what about a service? is that a computer too?

>Times when showing your autism went wrong

Depends on what you mean by service.

And I'm saying that when people say "cloud" today, referring to things like AWS/GCP/Azure, the last thing they are concerned about is the server on which it runs. They are there for the features and managed services that reduce operational burden from managing everything onsite.

Is API Gateway "someone else's computer"? Is lambda that? Eventually something will get run on someone else's computer, but cloud services are not just someone else's computer.

literally this. only butthurt faggots say "someone else's computer"

probably on suicide watch sysadmin cucks.

We are in agreement.

>le cloud computing is bad meme

>tfw these technophobe shitters will never feel offloading all the work to the cloud
its almost 2 years since we moved all of our databases, repo and other dev projects. zero fucking downtime baby with all the bells and whistles meme like load balancing and firewalls

Docker's definitely helped on our end man, Nomad to do regional shit, Kubernetes for the less important projects. Absolutely wonderful.

the sad thing is I'm literally a "sysadmin" too. though I'm all on board with this shit.
literally being a sysadmin and managing shitty crap sucks asshole. literally the worst job i ever had; even worse than being in hs and making shtity webapps for shitty people.

I sort of agree with this OP. At the very best it's a liability shift if something does happen.

when you diss someone, you gotta provide them with an out
>sorry, i don't mean to contradict you here, but what you said about _____ is not true. (reasoning). Can you propose any alternatives that will solve/mitigate/circumvent the risk of _____?

my story:
>ops mgr for e-commerce business
>bs in cs, but literally curriculum never came in useful before (pwr lvl hidden)
>executives want to migrate to new platform
>agree because our software vendor is shit (was good 10 years ago, got lazy)
>executives know nothing about software, owner got lucky 10 years ago
>owner gets recommendation from a (((business coach))) meme guru peddles books like how to win friends, and meme ideas like the thoroughly disbunked neuro-linguistic programming.
>recommendation is shilling for another company (((he))) coaches.
>new vendor is all sales, keeps trying to pitch a generic platform. pretends user interviews over teleconferencing is productive. project manager on our side has no experience, goes along with it
>mock up all our business process and user workflows myself, over 3 months. handover documents and get completely ignored. (months later everyone involved forgot it exists)
>technical solution proposal/statement of work/contract is drawn up. super generic. 3 business critical workflows omitted, 1 described vaguely.
>professional opinion: hire anybody else, this will be late and go over budget, and probably won't even work
> executives are incredulous: we already put all this time and effort (1 hr phone call per week for 5 months) ... blah blah blah ... this is 16 months ago
> owner is too tech illiterate enough to consider alternate vendors, signs contract anyway.
> missed release date by 5 months, and counting. no demo until month after target launch and it was a shitshow.
>get assigned to UAT 3 weeks ago, with 7 weeks until "launch." nobody's assigned to data migration yet, with 4 weeks to launch.
... negotiate a raise, or just watch this company burn?

Milk the cash cow until the udders bleed, they obviously won't listen to people who know what they're talking about, so no sense in helping.
You can, however, re-introduce your plan once launch crashes and burns like the Hindenberg. Just make sure to make it super obvious that you have already introduced this plan before the current one started without being a dick about it.
Best of both worlds.

>get a warning
I would give you a warning too if some faggot would recommend a fucking cuck cuck no instead of ixquick
Fuck you for spreading this garbage poser "we just pretend to care" website.

start finding a new job? seems obvious.

will the company absorb this cost or will it die?

>what is the fappening

>meet a girl
>she constantly uses her phone while we are walking
>i tell her if she doesn't care that facebook and google spy on her
>get a weird stare
>tfw we never met again

Attached: raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg (360x360, 28K)

Hi Alex, we all laughed at you after work.

I'm kind of in this boat haven't said anything but here goes

>Work for major refrigerated trucking company
>No it's not Swift, JB Hunt or Schneider
>Used to have lightning fast wifi in the yard and inside the terminal
>Like 4mb/s download speeds over wireless in the parking lot around giant metal trailers
>Run for a few months, pick up a nail and come into the yard because they will fix it for free
>Wifi has become literally dial-up speeds
>Webpages won't load
>Run tracert from a bunch of places in the yard
>For some reason they all have the same subnet
>Every single computer on the network, all the driver's cell phones, all of the truck's onboard electronic log and diagnostics, all of the laptops, everything
>EVERYTHING
>on one subnet

Do I say something? I don't want to get accused of hacking or some shit for running a simple tracert anyone could figure this out with some googling, it's not even script kiddie level shit I did.

how did you get the seconds on the windows clock?

just say "breaker breaker 420 my internet is slow" to the it tard asses. it's not your problem, it's theirs

I know for a fact you don't work with me.
I used Winaero Tweaker a while back to customize a bunch of shit, I think that's where I added that.

thanks user

Yep, just went and looked.
I think it's a registry tweak, that's how most of Winaero Tweaker works.

Attached: Image 2.png (860x1157, 104K)

What, you think you're the only one who uses Jow Forums? Haha

No, I know exactly who uses Jow Forums at work, and you're not one of them. Also, my name's on the fucking screenshot.

linux failing at basic tasks once again

Nah, I'm just too lazy to setup the thumbnailer file correctly, and too lazy to switch to a better file manager.

yea i got it installed and read the url that was linked in that menu to do it manually

Attached: 013 - jl8q6On.jpg (853x480, 35K)

not sure if i can execute that strategy. never had time to get around to a full fledged plan.
>hiring manager decided 2 days/week face time was OK to run a business
>it took us 6 months to replace him.
>new hiring manager given paramaters: 6 month pay freeze, can only offer 10% below market until jan 2018
>53 hours/week for me and team, just to keep the lights on, worry about the future later

it gets worse, owner hired (((coach))) to be gm.
>(((coach))) forced to become director when previous director was caught embezelling
>(((coach))) is now my direct supervisor
my humble opinion: coach is gambling with house money

not die, but we'll stay on the same platform
double dipping: cost of ops on current platform + dev for new platform runs us -$10k/day
gonna stay here until health problems subside, i just don't care anymore. shame, i used to love our product.

Then just milk it and update your resume on LinkedIn as soon as possible.

>a peeping tom saw my tits through a window from the sidewalk, arrest him!
>it's not an invasion of privacy when I intentionally flash my tits

Saying "the cloud is just someone else's computer" is like saying "a man is just 200 lbs of meat". That's not ALL a man is, but it is certainly true that a man IS (roughly) 200 lbs of meat, and in certain situations that may be the only thing about a man that matters.

I'll be convinced that cloud computing is as secure as in-house computing when you find me a bank that does its payment processing in the cloud.

I only just recently bothered to organize my folders user

Attached: 1337128895757.jpg (172x300, 13K)

Nice. I'm usually really good about it for a day, then it gets clogged up for two weeks, then I get frustrated that I can't find shit and clean things up.

Wow, apparently stating the truth makes people insufferable. Some fucking people.

I don't follow.

Cloud computing is for companies where IT is just a cost and is unrelated to their products, financial services now are 100% IT now.

Take a look a the screenshot

Call be a /brainlet/, 'cause I'm still lost. You mocking one of my saved pics?

Second to last post in your screenshot user

I see. Sorry about that mate, it's been a long night and my brain is tired.

Attached: 1525334086352.png (500x708, 778K)

>giant dick
>rainbow flag
everyone thinks you're a fag

>rainbow flag
That's not what that is, user...

Attached: 1523035484150.jpg (225x393, 16K)

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I suggest to read a book, nigger: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_absence
and btw, there are lots of known vulnerabilities/attacks against virtual machines, though most of them are difficult to exploit

this, fuck the satanic fags at jewgle

you were trying way too hard to be funny.

i would probably block you from social media afterwards.