/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 158950 cleavage dress_shirt fixed front_wing grisaia_no_kajitsu headphones no_bra open_shir (2437x3500, 2.42M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=3266704
ebay.com/itm/Lot-20-Solder-DIY-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Female-Plug-Jack-Adapter-Socket-Connector/322332070842
my.mixtape.moe/dhqqcy.mov
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Should I get the L007 do they run on the SRM-252S?

Attached: 1528052382035.jpg (752x1080, 362K)

That's a dick down there, isn't it?

Attached: megastaxrin.jpg (1786x9856, 1.28M)

VN takeover!

Attached: 698d5791d44c47e7b2a5b918f4fc151d.jpg (2000x2704, 1.34M)

Attached: 1503984330146.png (692x485, 221K)

Hypex should start selling NCore modules to headphone users. Some of them have lower noise than most dedicated headphone amps and still deliver over 50 Vrms unbridged.

has this been used before? do you want me to bake the next one with it?

Nope: gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=3266704

I don't think so, but feel free to do it.

user in last thread who asked what id use for the m2, just a comfy pair of hd600 that I saw an old couple selling, some iems and an old astro that I picked up from my friend

The output impedance may be too high for the IEMs, but it's perfectly fine for the HD600.

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Good op.

Attached: 1504240128630.png (1920x1080, 1.43M)

the l700 are probably the best headphones stax ever made, the 009 sound nicer but the cost is way too high. the 252 will struggle on them. the 353x is the standard choice and is a perfect pair. or if you need a dac the upcoming d50 might be a good choice, unknown now.

>want
Wireless monitor earphones
>must have
Very neutral sound, very lightweight, battery life of at least 3 hours
>must not have
Emphasis on bass. Can't stress that enough
>budget
$150 USD
>preferred brand
Audio technica or Onkyo

>d50 might be a good choice
You know it's not.

The more difficult load is the 007. At least you get more full-power bandwidth. But not really, since it's the 007.
009 is much more easily powered.

>the 252 will struggle on them.
stax elitism needs to die

Old headphones are dead. Looking for two new pairs, one for traveling and one for home.

For travel i'm looking for closed back headphones that are v-shaped and under $200
For home I'm looking for open back, neutral headphones up to around $300

What are the current popular choices for these? I prefer detachable cables, but it's not a big deal.

Thanks!

>For home I'm looking for open back, neutral headphones up to around $300
HD600. Look them up.

>For travel i'm looking for closed back headphones that are v-shaped and under $200
ATH-WS1100iS

Does nobody here rate mid range price closed backs? It's either m40x as a layover or you jump straight to ZMFs

There are no mid range closed backs. The fostex TR-X00 is a great headphone but it might as well be semi-open.

Attached: 01D1B1F5-CAC6-4577-9AA3-DB5724C50425.jpg (2772x3698, 2.08M)

oppo pm3, get one before they're gone

>tfw could try out headphones and even earphones as much as I wanted in Japanese electronics stores
>in Australia they expect you to buy $400 headphones without even trying them because 'muh hygiene'

are you in sydney? minidisc is ok for trying headphones. but the headphones and especially dac/amps are so stupidly overpriced.

Recently bought HD598s to use as PC headphones, am I missing out on anything without a DAC? I don't notice any hum or hiss or whatever it is I'm supposed to get without a Grade-A Audiophile setup but maybe that's because I have pleb ears.

Attached: beigeboi.jpg (810x456, 27K)

asians are perfect & clean while australians are disgusting filth

What are the most aesthetic on-ear headphones that I can get, that sound decent and don't break the bank? Porta Pros look like ass so don't try to get me to buy into that meme. Pic related but I missed out on buying the wired version for $100 canuckbucks and I'm not dropping over 3 times that on the wireless version.

Attached: sennmom1.jpg (770x433, 44K)

That's fucking hilarious because Australia basically is asians at this point.

In most civilized countries headphones is "hygiene class product" by law. And rightly so.

ur fine

you are fine, 598 is a good ear trainer after few years with them you'll be able to choose better headphones, don't bother now

This is true lol esp in Sydney.

Argon MKIII owners on /hpg/ what's the frequency response like for this mod? It looks super dark and bassy. Zeos says soundstage is godly. How's detail retrieval/resolution or these? Are they veiled?

Bruh
>Amp is USD69
>Shipping is USD70
Fuck you

A M E R I C A F I R S T

Attached: turnip.png (525x313, 173K)

Beyer DT 770 or Custom One Pro
ATH MSR7
NAD Viso HP50
Plus the oppos like the other user said

I didn't have anyone to share this with but I wanted to say I finally got around to putting a headphone jack in my MDR-V6

Marv is a dirty chink bought out by Schiit

So the cable is detachable? I really want that done with mine but don't have anywhere near the skill or knowledge.

Yes. Not the included cable mind you because I forgot to buy male connectors. I had more female connectors though so it's now a male to female extension cable. Fortunately I had a aux cable laying around, so I'm currently using that to use the headphones.
Also, soldering is easy and incredibly useful. I've used it to restore some old RC's and Nerf blasters for the kids. Also desuckified a Walmart electric toothbrush. You can find a soldering iron on the cheap with a start up amount of solder. I also recommend buying helping hands to hold your components in place. I've made do so far with binder clips and clothespins, but I have one on the way now.

Attached: Sorry for potato camera.jpg (4128x3096, 2.79M)

Can you elaborate on struggle? Don't all lamdas share the same efficiency?

Nothing to do with Trump though. America has always been like this. Always slowest flat rate untrackable $49.99 shipping for smallest item China would ship for free (or Japan would ship for 1500 JPY airmail.

headphone noob here. when is massdrop gonna drop 6xx's again? fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk

it's a swamp, user
once you get into electrostats it's a money bog, it sucks you in

I paid £70 for shipping from bottlehead.

Attached: 1526812295410.jpg (413x570, 57K)

I really want to do this with my MDR-7506

All amps don’t share the same power supply.

Nice, I am planning on doing the same to my 7506's here soon
Do you know if there are BNC type connectors that could be locked in place (like picture)
because I feel like the jack could come out of the headset pretty easy.

Attached: BNC_3.jpg (1000x1000, 159K)

Might of been $70 (£52.38) to be fair. I can't remember..

Attached: 1528080590526.jpg (1122x1285, 126K)

Fell for the crack meme baka

HD 25 look cool to me lol

I want to know that too! I've seen in a amazon review of the female jack that is used in this mod that the cable comes off too easy

The d50 is roughly the same size as a SRM 252S I honestly can't see there being much difference apart from the price and the tiny useless aesthetically pleasing (in which case why are you buying stax?) Gauge.

Attached: hpure.jpg (280x275, 48K)

Anyone know something bad about these? I can't find anything negative about them, except from people who come from darkish headphones like LCD which is no opinion at all.
I'm starting to think they are actually good, wish I could audition them but I can't.

Attached: 1517156165670.jpg (770x578, 48K)

I agree, d50 is most likely a dressed up 252s. Just another compromise. Disappointing really.

What is the term for when your lows mids and highs overlap each other and drown each other out. if bass is high it will fade over mids and high, or if highs is too loud it will fade out bass and mid? like there is a limited range to what output is giving you. Can this be fixed with software or hardware? i have some atm50s and i know damn well it shoudlnt be sounding this off unless they are defective or something.

Yea a fortnight streamer called ninja has them.

Attached: 1496119650025.jpg (360x336, 22K)

Who is that cute girl?

Have the HD 558. Yeah, you're fine, but I would recommend either a turtle beach dolby digital earforce to hook up to any device you have that's got optical out.

Or, if you have a htpc, a mobo that has built-in headphone amp with surround. Dolby surround headphone is awesome (though Jow Forums may tell you otherwise).

I will never again game/watch movies with headphones without either or. I was actually thinking of upgrading to HD600s. The 558s don't really require the mobo headphone amp (I have to keep the sound around 10% or risk hearing loss).

They're worse than stax

Needs less blu tack tho. And don't need a special amp.

auditory masking

>hes still trying to force the blu tack meme

Attached: brainlet.jpg (642x725, 42K)

you don't own stax and yet you own a special amp for your argon

They are actually good, user.

It will elevate my Jow Forumsaymer cred, it's not a bad thing!

Attached: 1518696645032.png (511x583, 459K)

I do not sorry. The ones I used here are pretty snug doe
ebay.com/itm/Lot-20-Solder-DIY-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Female-Plug-Jack-Adapter-Socket-Connector/322332070842
They fit just snug enough inside the current hole for the cord; the plastic sheath comes off with just a bit of prying.

Hang only I misread that as the cable coming out easily. Like I said, the jack fits in the headset pretty well. I have secured it with some Plastic Weld epoxy. There is a separate dot of epoxy on the body of the jack not connected to the structural epoxy. This dot should keep the jack from coming out in the event of a catastrophic failure of the main glue.
Right now it's holding well. I can pull on the cord and in fact remove the cable this way without the jack coming out. Any epoxy will do as it has a bit of give in it. I think super glue would be too brittle but I've heard good things about Gel superglues.

>girl

my.mixtape.moe/dhqqcy.mov

Thinking of getting me one of these. Thoughts?

Attached: Sennheiser HD 599.jpg (1312x1312, 148K)

stax and anime are two memes that need to die

stax website

What headphones DACs and amps are /hpg/ endgame?
I currently have an ER4XR and EDC as my daily driver, so IEMs only.
I feel like a Schiit stack and HD6XX + HD600 are gonna be endgame. Any higher and we're going into meme territory.

>/hpg/ endgame?
/hpg/ fell for the measurement placebo. whatever is cheapest and measures best IS best, period.

Anyone know a good upgrade from the TH-X00? I want something closed, fun, and lively with lots of bass without bleeding into the mids. And great treble.

kannon

closed zmf

>kannon meme
No thanks.

Atticus or Eikon?

I'm neither of these posters but I own both zmf + kannons and used to own e-mu teaks. teak has better bass than the atticus because it is biodyna. so either eikon or kannons, but kannons are better

I typically get told that I'm wrong about my headphones from people who have never even heard them though so I'm not sure why I still even try

>Atticus or Eikon?
Aren't those open or atleast semi-open?

they are fully closed and leak less than most closed headphones

Nope.

Which ZMFs are better, the planars or the dynamics?

the planars are t50rp mods so the dynamics

How do you guys find your spending? I'm a newly awoken audiophile and I spent half a months worth of minimum wage on hd600's and a m2. Now thanks to Zeos I'm finding more shit that I want but I'm still a student so I don't have much income

What's your major? I just got an internship making $31/hr full time, so I'm planning on splurging on my endgame.

Internshipcucking like the other user said is a good way to get shekels. You can also suck dick on the side.

Have you tried the other emu variants?

>getting flimsy plastic stats instead of well-built dynamic headphones

Attached: RMAF2016_ZMF_Photo_Main_0[1].jpg (600x472, 36K)

D&C
Nice try kike, but stax and zmf are complements, not competitors.

no and there's only two. the purpleheart and the the e-mu teak. the purpleheart is based on the $50 CAL! biodyna while the other woods are using the same driver variant as the fostex/denon but with a stronger magnet

Are the rosewood and ebony too close to the teak in terms of sound?

idk, not many people care about the rosewood/ebony. the appeal of the teak is that it's stronger so chan was able to hollow it out much more than any other wood. you also can't buy the teak cups separately unlike the other woods

ZMF Stax mods when?

Nice denial.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc

Didn't the user with the HD800S from yesterday's thread also mentioned about the poor build quality of these L700s?

Auteur is the open/semi-open one

You should embrace it and make it your strength
I do one stax and let me say that the Argons are coming close. And you don't need a special for a 6mm

Attached: Blu tacx.png (1041x1500, 1.19M)