Java or C#

If you had to choose between these two, which would you rather use and why?

Attached: images-1.png (479x248, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=test&runid=60fab9eb-a5ad-49cb-aefe-24ad0f377122&hw=ph&test=db
chrononsystems.com/)
sites.google.com/view/energy-efficiency-languages/results#h.p_F4kP6rWGiDZ1
java.com/en/download/
sites.google.com/a/athaydes.com/renato-athaydes/posts/a7mbnative-imagejavaappthatrunsin30msandusesonly4mbofram
youtube.com/watch?v=JoDOo4FyYMU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

C#. Java can't even compare strings without a helper function .equals . Only pajeets use it

>Java can't even compare strings without a helper function .equals
Woah you totally killed java. Comparing strings without equals is literally the most imporant thing these days

Javascript

Attached: vba.png (786x335, 19K)

Kotlin

I liked C# just because if of Visual Studio. Everything about Eclipse just hurt for some reason.

Java
techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=test&runid=60fab9eb-a5ad-49cb-aefe-24ad0f377122&hw=ph&test=db

C++

C#.

My Uni tried to teach us Uni-students how to code with Java a decade ago. It didn't end well.
Meanwhile, C# is easy as pie, and can work as a fine stepping stone to mastering C++ and even C.

dumb question but what benefits would C++ have over C# if I were writing some simple accounting program. I had people come from C++ background who absolutely hated it for very specific reasons.

what's wrong with eclipse??

I wouldn't say anything was wrong with it per se, it just didn't feel intuitive to me. I got on VS and just ran with it, but eclipse was just meh. Just a personal preference it seems.

C++ has better performance. But it's syntax is shit just like C which makes Java and C# much easier to work with especially on large projects.

c# because of linq and visual studio

meanwhile on java you get:
>stream API which is a pain to use
>no properties but instead you need to have manual getters/setters for everything
>comparing strings without .equals fails half the time
>eclipse is complete utter SHIT
>>memory leaks on every platform
>>development server support sucks major ass
>>lacks basic features like soft-wrapping because the dev team can't get their shit together
>intellij idea is cool but costs money if you want to use it for work
>maven what the fuck what do you mean you can't run gulp on windows because of a never solved bug in the commands plugin
>no quick object/list initialization
>no var

No wonder pahjeets love java and whenever they touch c# they code on it as if it were java

I have over a decade of commercial experience with both of these cancerous languages and if I absolutely had to choose one, it would be Clojure on the JVM

Underage

As much as I dislike MS, basically these are correct. The tooling for c# is substantially better.

>stream API which is a pain to use
Not true, stream API is great. You're probably a brainlet
>no properties but instead you need to have manual getters/setters for everything
Your IDE can generate them with press of a button, also Kotlin if you want to
>comparing strings without .equals fails half the time
You shouldnt compare string without equals you brainlet, you dont even know how to use Java it seems. == only checks if its the same object, not if its the same content
>eclipse is complete utter SHIT
Not really, does the job just fine. Also there's IntelliJ which is great. Are you a poorfag?
>memory leaks on every platform
Proofs? You're talking out of your ass. Java is the most stable language for long running code.
>intellij idea is cool but costs money if you want to use it for work
Ok you are a poorfag, probably without job. Let me guess, CS student still?
>maven what the fuck what do you mean you can't run gulp on windows because of a never solved bug in the commands plugin
Why would you use gulp inside maven
>no var
False Java 10 has that

>no var

Java 10 has var now.
After 37983749 years.

>CS student
university/college students can get free license with their school email
not the one you are replying to

thi is applicable to all jetbrains products

>java 10 has var
which is completely useless because most existing applications that need to be maintained are still on java 8 and will stay there for a long time

Java because of
>much wider and more mature ecosystem of libraries
>a dozen of JVM implementations to choose from
>Clojure, Scala, and Kotlin interop
>tons of professional development tools (e.g. chrononsystems.com/)
>multiplatform support is at "mature, has been first class for 20 years" level and not "we're still working on it so you better use windows if you don't want to suffer (you will anyway)" level, especially for the developer
>much more popular among companies that pay programmers money
>used everywhere: video games, us navy battleships, banking transaction processing, Bill Gates' Blu-ray player
>IntelliJ IDEA
>it's the fastest JIT compiled language, faster even than a lot of AOT compiled ones sites.google.com/view/energy-efficiency-languages/results#h.p_F4kP6rWGiDZ1
>GraalVM, SubstrateVM

>video games
only minecraft

Slay the Spire too actually and some other small steam rpgs
Sure, video games arent popular to make with java, but you can still do it no problem if you want to.

>he's too young to remember runescape and funorb games
Also, heartlands

I always had this notion of Java being slow as shit. Was it all just a meme? Also, why does their website still look like it was made during the early 00s java.com/en/download/

Yes it was a meme from ancient times. Also that is not the official Java homepage.
Modern Java is very fast and will only get faster with GraalVM
sites.google.com/a/athaydes.com/renato-athaydes/posts/a7mbnative-imagejavaappthatrunsin30msandusesonly4mbofram

it USED to be slow, the most recent version of java has performance on par with C in some use cases

>java.com/en/download/
hmm guess it is actually oracle supported website. It's simple and works, who cares. There's no fancy website for gcc either

the hell is gtaalvm

C#. It just werks

Java can be fast, it's just that it's the preferred language of lots of "people" who don't know what they are doing.

youtube.com/watch?v=JoDOo4FyYMU

Is Javascript syntax more similar to java or C#?

What if you take Python into the equation? Is C# still king?

I head oracle will drop support for java 8 surprisingly soon.

>Python
AHAHAHAHAHA
>C# king
AHAHAHAHAHA

Javascript is an abomination, but syntax doesnt matter anyway since Java, C# and JS all pretty much have the same

Attached: 1512325771221.jpg (600x600, 33K)

end your life

The next LTS release id JDK 11 which is out in september

elborate

are you ok?

based

What do you want me to elaborate on?
C# being > than Java?
See
and
Actual factual arguments, not feels and comfy

Python entering the equation? Python is only relevant as a wrapper for ML, which you could also just do better with dl3j and nd4j, and shitty little utility tools. It's not a language that you consider for anything other than teaching brainlets basic programming concepts. Python is not compiled, its slow af.

Java is mostly used in enterprise level projects. If you like being a codemonkey in a 2 by 2 cubicle next to a couple hundred pajeets, go for it. The future of mobile apps is in the webstack and using transpilation tools like react native. C# is for games mostly now.

Python has its uses, but it's a bad choice for actual software development because it's slow as shit and can't take advantage of multicore CPUs.

I see you never actually touched enterprise level projects. Besides, a lot of fintech startups (nearly all of them) use Java. Java is used at any startup where you need performance and need to handle lots of requests. This also includes Netflix and large scale online shops like Amazon or Alibaba. Hardly boring cubicle jobs.

Mobile apps arent interesting. They are just CRUD. The backend, where java runs, is doing all the interesting work.

>students too dumb to learn Java
Maybe Python would be more suitable for your students

I wish we have VBscript today rather than piece of shit, meemscript

Where it counts, Java is still slow. Where it counts are computation-heavy algorithms on large data sets. Granted, these can be optimized, sometimes to be on par with C/C++ code, but only at the cost of modularity and genericity. Efficient C++ code can be designed to be generic and usable as a general-purpose library. Java code can’t.

yet java owns c++ in enterprise. really made me think

No shortage of pajeets.

You do these in C anyway, thats what nd4j does

wrong. the most popular data processing frameworks are JVM-based:
>Hadoop
>Storm
>Spark
>Samza
>Flink

Attached: [email protected] (1280x810, 70K)

What is TEXT?

Pajeets mashing their face into notepad

Java, but unironically because it's a simpler, more consistent, more elegant language

case in point
>overloading the == operator
>being too much of a brainlet to understand you are passing around pointers and what you are comparing with == is the pointer address
wew

C#, coming from a guy that learned Java first.

patrician here