/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: pepe-and-pipi.png (960x1076, 181K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gentoo.org/downloads/
stallman.org/to-Jow
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/License_groups
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/License_groups/OSI-APPROVED
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/License_groups/MISC-FREE
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS#Performance_tuning
kb.iu.edu/d/aetr
poop.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for pippi cock

What's the current just werks distro? Is kde stable yet?

Damn Pipi is cute.

gentoo.org/downloads/

Jow Forums, an epitaph
Maybe I'll come back in autumn and see if things are any better.

Im using fedora cinnamon and it just werks

It annoys me that norms couldn't comprehend that someone might actually be alone forever and so invented a companion.

So just tried Manjaro GNOME. Liking GNOME, but can I have it where icons are on the desktop? I couldn't see an option but maybe I'm blind.

>yet he has waifu

Is there any difference between writing var="$(...)" and var=$(...) ?
What's the preferred way of writing a cmd sub?

Threadly reminder to stop picking your distro solely based on what's popular on distrowatch.

Attached: varg-vikernes.jpg (500x750, 92K)

>Is there any difference between writing var="$(...)" and var=$(...) ?
In that form, no. With the quotes, you can add extra text, though.
var="foo$(command)bar"
>What's the preferred way of writing a cmd sub?
Unless the quotes are actually needed, I would leave them off. I don't think people really feel particularly strongly about it, though.

Before this gets buried, can someone give me a quick rundown on pepe's newfound qt gf?

Attached: reisen listen carefully.png (600x600, 172K)

I quote everything to be consistent.
The only rule I follow is:
>singlequotes for strings
>doublequotes for variables
Example:
x="$(date +%s)"; y='fagget'
printf -- '%s: Ur a %s.\n' "${x}" "${y}"

First %s should be a %d, whoopsie.

Pepe should lend out Pipi to Wojack to make him feel better.

The story goes that she was from a picture from 2015 by some drawfag on /co/. She was called Azura by the original artist and was meant to be Pepe's gf/waifu. Whether that's true is irrelevant. Now she's called Pipi and is Pepe's gf.

Thanks user, have an awoo

Attached: awoo.jpg (384x344, 74K)

Arch KDE is pretty comfy.

I keep getting this "Minimal bash..." thing coming up for grub when I boot up. Yes I Googled it but I want to know exactly what this means. What happened to make this happen? Did grub install wrong? Is there more than one grub somehow?

Arch KDE isn't just werks distro
KDE breaks on arch because KDE has many "moving" things and arch is rolling distro
something gets updated from KDE
something breaks
GNOME on arch is stable though
t.experience

probably initrd

BEGONE SNOWNIGGER

Attached: Timothy _19 dead kids a day keeps the feds away_ McVeigh.png (2352x1764, 1.85M)

This will be worse.

so even a fucking painted frog gets' a GF ?
that's depressing

That's not pippi/pipi it's azure

dear lord the KDE login manager whatever it uses is a massive security danger

i closed my laptop lid and opened it and it d idn't even bother asking me password all of a sudden when it before had,

thats not even counting the fact that my open programs flash open before the login screen comes usually

this shit is garbage..

what the fuck

>my open programs flash open before the login screen comes usually
Fuck me then, my sister must have seen the hentai.

Are you on some Ubuntu or something?

None of this happens here on Gentoo.

yes on Ubuntu

> my sister must have seen the hentai
Bible black and the other classics are meant for viewing with your sister.

I really don't know how they always manage to do it [at least the part where they just keep things that work for everyone else broken for weeks to months].

I figure you might want to try a Sabayon live or something and see if it still happens, to collect some information whether it's again Ubuntu fucking up or maybe just something specific to your hardware somehow [at least the image flashing].

So I'm looking at installing gentoo to mess around with GNU/Linux at a deeper level and have a couple questions about the whole qt vs gtk thing.
I want to know if its at all sane to set up the install through USE flags so that the system purely uses only one or the other, to the point where one of them isn't even installed in the first place.
I can't seem to find much information on doing this so i don't know if I can't into finding the relevant documentation, am fundamentally misunderstanding something, or if its just such a bad idea nobody talks about it.

if the package supports gtk and qt flag you can just choose whichever you want
but if the package only supports qt and you disabled it, emerge will pull qt dependencies, same goes to gtk

-most programs only support one of them. there are barely a few which can be either
-a few programs, usually services like wpa-supplicant have a qt/gtk based GUI. If you mask this user flag out you will still get a fully functional program just without the GUI applications.
-the real choice for most cases is that you want gtk2 or gtk3 and for qt you want qt4 or qt5
-gtk and qt can co-exists just fine
-the only way to avoid one is to not install simply anything using them

Any combination of USE-flags Portage does not complain about is either sane, or it's a bug you should report.

That does not mean you can freely choose GTK2, GTK3 or the latest QT. Most GUI applications will be only written in one of these.

> through USE flags so that the system purely uses only one or the other
No, that won't work. You need to mask, too. USE-flags trigger optional dependencies, e.g. you can avoid building GTK2 or QT UI for software that optionally has it on top of a CLI.

Software that just IS a GTK2/3 or QT application will not necessarily be governed by USE-flags. It'll just depend on GTK2/3 or QT, and only masking these will prevent automatic installation.

Still, it means you can't use that software... because you just can't use it without GTK2,3 or QT.

17.10.1 ubuntu right click breaks down with regards to folder context menu, the menu opens but none of the items are clickable..

lol just installed gentoo
staleman proud now???

>the only way to avoid one is to not install simply anything using them
Almost. You can just put dev-qt/* or x11-libs/gtk+ into /etc/portage/package.mask.

Then Portage will actively block on anything that would install qt or gtk+ and demand appropriate USE flag changes where possible.

stallman.org/to-Jow Forums.html

He doesn't approve even if you license.mask ( wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/License_groups ) to FSF-approved licenses.

Stallman said in various places that he can recommend most free OS' for freedom-conscious people who will not install proprietary software and non-free firmware anyway. On a BSD mailing list he said he would even recommend openBSD based on this.
For the general public he only recommends totally free distros.

thanks for all the advice anons, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I guess we are in public now, and the direct letter linked directly recommends against Gentoo?

OTOH figures according to what you said, it'd be equally fair to say he can't make up his mind and posts / says one thing on some websites and in some places, and another thing on other websites / places.

My own recommendation is to accept MISC-FREE and OSI-APPROVED even if you only want open sauce:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/License_groups/OSI-APPROVED
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/License_groups/MISC-FREE

What is the best protocol to use for sharing folders between linux clients?

Currently I'm using smb/cifs but I hear it's subpar for pure Linux networks. I'm looking at nfs now, is it the optimal?

Manjaro KDE is fantastic so far. I've had zero issues.

NFS is better if you use NFSv4 and use the correct rsize and wsize options for throughput optimization. Keep in mind that NFS is completely unencrypted and only authenticates by IP address unless you set up Kerberos and use the krb5p option to encrypt wire transfers. Block the necessary ports at your firewall, and ideally use VLAN or physical separation between your NFS-connected systems and untrusted wifi guests.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS#Performance_tuning

I only connect through VPN if I'm outside and want to access my shares. But yes, I do want to prevent access from my local network to my shares.

how do I find out wich sound driver I need on ubuntu. pls no bully I'm nub

If you've got IPv6 you need to explicitly block the port at the router, too. IPv6 doesn't NAT.

Is snapd a meme? I just installed foobar2000 through snap because it was easy but it doesn't seem to work.

Window doesn't remember its size and music is not playing at all.

lscpi | grep Audio

>oldfag here
In old Unix there was a program called up(1) that allowed you to booklet print postscript files. Is that in some obscure package in Linux?
Here is what i'm referencing.

kb.iu.edu/d/aetr

Found it. it's psnup and in psutils.

Here's the deal : I want to have complete access to my desktop (all disks) when I'm outside. I connect to my desktop through VPN.

Currently, I'm running a smb server on my desktop and share the root / folder. This gives me access to everything.

However, I'm having problems with Thunar just refusing to copy files from the shares. I also read that cifs is a Windows thing and if running full Linux it's best to use something else, i.e. nfs.

So am I right in my approach? Or should I stick with cifs and not shoot myself in the foot?

How come it still makes me enter my password If I have this inside my sudoers file?
I'm using Manjaro.
And yes, my user is in the "wheel" group.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-04_21-39-18.png (726x481, 270K)

no issues with manjaro xfeces on my T420

For some reason when I try to ssh my machine nothings happens.
What could it be?

It was a firewall issue. hehe.

because it's a stupid idea

foobar2000 isn't supported on linux. I'd recommend cmus.

install deadbeef

ok guys, so i'm college, advanced networking and i have this fucking class,
POO (object orient programming? something like that), everything was going fine, good grades so far, but now my teacher wants me to make an python chat using flask, i have already tried to figure out how the fuck to do it...but everything seems overcomplicated? maybe i'm just not made to program, i can configure apache2, squid, email servers,dns and stuff like that with no problems, but this is getting on my nervers, you guys got any links that could help me? thanks sorry for the dumb question

Attached: f0b.png (864x576, 44K)

Don't share your root folder, retard. But yeah, NFS in fstab is the most native way.

Have 2 hard drives, an SSD with the operating system, and my storage drive with all my media. When I was on Windows I had my Plex server read off of this hard drive. I switched to Manjaro today and the hard drive is stuck in read-only, and I did not format it at all when I switched over. How can I change it to give me full permissions over the drive?

>I switched to Manjaro today
Aaaand this is where you pack your shit and hit the road straight to Jow Forumsmanjarolinux

>Jow Forumsmanjarolinux
better the foruns, made 3 posts about random problems that i had, it took them max 20min to get a responce from an high rated member.

Why so salty against Manjaro? Not niche enough for you?

i've been using tcpdump to monitor network usage, is there something better anyone can recommend?

nethogs

I have a problem with my SSH setup.
I have to change file permission of the authorized keys folder to make everything work but when I reboot the machine the permissions revert and I get "connection refused". So I need to manually change the permissions everytime.
What is happening?

thats gen-z for ya gramps, is not your meme anymore.
*dabs with gf*

Does anyone like tiling wms when you only need one or two windows open? With i3wm I've set up two workspaces that float every window because when I only want one or two terminals or a web browser I don't want it full screen.

Are you running it as a ramdisk or something?

Dont use tiling wm then.
Its a meme for people stuck in the 80's with 320x240 screens

It is supposed to be a Raspberry Pi headless thing.

I like it when I'm working on a project where I'll have an editor, a web browser, and a terminal or two for output and running commands.

Maybe I'll set up a script to quick switch between wms.

I'll assume you're not dumb enough to fall for the "it's a meme" line that other user gave you.

To answer your question, yes even with only 1 or 2 windows I would still prefer a tiling wm. I don't know why having a web browser taking up the full desk space would ever be a bad thing, but by all means set it up however you want, or just don't use a tiling wm if it's not your style.

So use any floating wm and setup the programs to where you want them to be at when they open, or use keybinds ion that wm to setup windows

I am trying to set up a Python IDE on Linux Mint in Oracle VM Virtualbox. But my virtual machine keeps running out of free space in the home directory and in general. I set up a 200GB virtual drive at the start. What is the issue?

du -h -d 1 ~

What's taking up space?

>I don't know why having a web browser taking up the full desk space would ever be a bad thing
Well I'm on a 27" and it's just obnoxious especially since the majority of websites don't utilize space well when fullscreen.
Also hate fullscreen terminals.
Even when I had a single 24" I never really kept anything full screen except creative programs like PS or Blender.

Usually the reason people like tiling window managers is because they have a few standard layouts that they always go to.
For instance, I was originally using OpenBox and I would almost always have my browser opened to only half the screen and on the other half I would do other things.
My layout on that desktop and others was pretty much fixed all day and I started to wonder why I didn't just use a tiling window manager which makes those layouts easier to navigate.

So perhaps your solution is to identify what else you would want to have access to on the same desktop as your webbrowser, and then just have all those windows open and displaying whatever you want displayed. Your web browser will then take up whatever remaining screen space you wanted.

On the other hand if you just like to have 1 window open on a desktop and also not in fullscreen then I really can't say I think you have any need for a tiling window manager. Either just make do with setting it to floating (or just hit the floating hotkey when you want it to float, it's not that hard), or just don't use a non tiling wm.

I just installed fedora on a t450 thinkpad and when I use the printscrn key it takes a screenshot, but if I use scrot it saves a blank, all black screen screenshot? Anyone had this issue?

veracrypt or zulucrypt? I need to pick one for my distro.
Does anyone have any good config tips/tricks for awesome wm?

Making a distro, does anyone have any suggestions about what they would like to see on it? Its minimal(ish?), has 3 wm to choose from (awesome, i3, openbox), and is geared towards privacy and programming. Any ideas what i should add?
>inb4 no systemd

OMG I think I am an idiot. Are you meant to load the Virtual Box with the fake boot DVD ISO, then install the OS to the Virtual HDD?

wayland is not Xorg

Has anyone managed to successfully install KDE on gentoo without policykit/consolekit?

I'd like to try KDE but anything poetterized is banned.

What's the best way to use win10 if I will only have it installed to play video games? Dual booting, or running it in a VM? I don't like the idea of windows having it's own partition to play with, but at the same time isn't playing games in a VM a bit of a fuck around with GPU pass through and the rest of it. I haven't used windows for some years now but I heard win10 is big brother and scans/watches everything you do. If I have it dual booted won't it be scanning my linux partitions too? Or can you somehow dual boot and sandbox at the same time?

Attached: 0181.webm (480x390, 1.14M)

Windows doesn't have any drivers for Linux filesystems so it's not gonna be sending home contents of your Linux drives.

GPU passthrough is apparently not too bad to set up but I haven't done it personally.

Dual booting is annoying imo.

Quick rundown, you say?

Attached: rundown.jpg (768x605, 78K)

I was always able to connect ssh and web server running on my home ubuntu machine, which has a public IP.
I used it like that for a year.
The i reinstalled the ubuntu OS and now i can't get it to work but i dont get it.. i have a domain poop.com which is redirected to my public ip
When i tested it at home with [email protected] and poop.com they all worked fine.
But now when i wanted to access it from my workplace internet i am unable.. it seems like if the server is turned off which it isnt
At first i thought it was the ubuntu friendly firewall fuckery, but i remembered to disable it and loaded my ip table rules which prior to the format is used for over a year so i know they are solid
At work i have regular internet so no ports and shit are blocked.. so what the shit why can't i access the server from here when i could do it at home?
I was NOT accessing it over lan (like 192.168..) at home, i was using the poop.com domain which redirects me to the public ip, so that shouldn't be a factor

it's pipi

Have you tried making a robot gf? What about genetic modification?

First of all, it seems to me that you're attempting to troubleshoot this problem at the least opportune time that you could possibly chose. You need to figure this out when you're at home and you have access to the network that you're having problems with. Without any kind of access to the network that you're trying to troubleshoot there's nothing that you can do even if you figure out what the problem is, and you're probably not going to figure out what the problem is. When working on my home network, I test public access using a VPS, but if you don't have that you can also use a laptop tethered to a phone or even just a phone with a terminal emulator.

Second of all, you are not providing very much information at all about how your network is set up. All we know about your configuration is that you're running a web server, an ssh server, possibly an smtp server, a firewall, and ubuntu. With only that information to work with and no access to anything, it's extremely unlikely that anybody's going to be able to help you, and you'd ought to know that.

Do you know what NAT means?

i have two public IPs from my ISP, one I use for my router that has all my comptuers connected to it and then i have the server machine which is not connected to the router but directly to my ISPs switch with its own public ip.
If this was a firewall problem then even when testing at home i would not be able to connect because the server is not on my router's LAN and therefore i am not accidently connecting to it via lan, when testing at home

If I install root, home, and boot on one partition it's not going to really be a big problem if I want to add another distro on the same drive, right? Just shrink it and do the same?

you could use i3-gaps or some other tilingwm that allows you to have gaps without having to use floating mode

Your firewall should always be a suspect in these situations. Without knowing anything at all about your configuration, it's not out of the question that you have blacklisted some blocks of IP addresses, or are running software that automatically adds IP addresses to a blacklist in response to certain types of traffic, or that some other similar thing is at work.

One step I would take is to port scan your server from at least a couple of different IP addresses (e.g. work/public wifi and cellular network) using nmap.

Maybe it's because I've installed it about 5 times now or because it has the better documentation, but am I the only one who finds arch easier to install and get in working order than debian? Maybe it's because arch has a baby tier insall guide, idk.
I've even tried manjero and bunsenlabs but arch was easier and cleaner.