Tfw were getting closer to a world where your Cell Phone is your main computer with beefy specs and dedicated graphics...

>tfw were getting closer to a world where your Cell Phone is your main computer with beefy specs and dedicated graphics that are reliable, you come home and drop your phone into a dock and it's your full desktop PC. You have ONE device for everything. Want a bigger screen? Throw it in a tablet shell.

The baby steps are already happening

>Windows Continuum
>Samsung DeX (Works surprisingly well as a desktop replacement)
>Asus ROG Phone dock

Attached: ASUS-ROG-Phone-PC-Dock-press-680x453.jpg (680x453, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt1798709/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_3_64_bit_Install
adafruit.com/product/1946?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI15KOla672wIV1LjACh0mQw7-EAQYAyABEgKyhvD_BwE
learn.adafruit.com/fona-tethering-to-raspberry-pi-or-beaglebone-black/overview
politico.com/magazine/story/2018/06/03/cyrus-farivar-book-excerpt-stingray-218588
adafruit.com/product/3775
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not for me. Phones are stupid spying devices for ultra-normie housewives and minority just-starts-dancing genderqueers

I can't fucking wait for the day desktops, and having multiple devices is obsolete and you have one gadget that runs your whole life. Why the fuck did modularity die.

I wonder when they will release first phone that will be running emulated Windows 10 while in desktop mode.

Attached: Windows10-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 41K)

No, it won't really happen, it'll stay a niche product.
Apple is the only entity in existence that can actually push it far.

>Baby steps
Huawei's Easy Projection is full fledge desktop replacement.

Attached: Huawei-Mate-10-Easy-Projection-Phoenix-OS-2.jpg (1024x750, 97K)

Really, not OP but this is literally my home setup. I use DeX full-time as my Desktop, bar another Raspberry Pi for my Plex server. I do all of my gaming on my Switch, except my faggot mobage games which I play on both my phone and DeX, bust out emails, DeX has a FULL Microsoft Office Suite with Windows compatibility that I use for Work Shit, and it's great having ACTUAL texts on my PC with instant replies. Watching a YouTube video? Need to take a shit? Grab my phone, continue exactly where I left off, done shitting, pop it back in the dock and I'm ready to go within Seconds.

No one's going to buy your tacky ROG STRIX GAMER EXTRA AWESOME EDITION XXL SNIPER OVERKILL Phone.
If I see you in public with it, I'll mock you all the way back to your parents house. You fat little faggot

I tried to use termux today. It doesn't have openjdk. Into the trash it goes.

Looking at librem-5 that seems to be the case, pretty comfy desu, easy way to bring all your computer shit with you. Just plug it in wherever you are.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Attached: canvas.png (640x360, 521K)

poorfag

I will never understand the fawning over some all in one device.

I you were given the choice of being able to bring your comfy riced desktop with you, would you refuse?

>Nooooooooo fuck I'm getting raped and cant even call 911 because my email software just crashed
This will happen in the next several years

we can only pray it happens to your mum tomorrow and every day after

That would be neat but I'm looking at some of the issues that stem from just having one device that does everything. If it fails and given the nature of disposable devices now a days it's going to fail, your locked out of everything until you get a new one

>your locked out of everything until you get a new one
That's way there's CLOUD COMPUTING.
I think a way to retrieve a working environment from your device would solve it it, like Backedup image or something.

eplain to a brainlet why cant they just rewrite shit for arm though? Wouldnt they 'just' need to make proper compilers for arm?

Her 2013 ( imdb.com/title/tt1798709/ )
the phone is a small device, with camera, small screen. Seems reasonable.
I know this is shilling, since it's just a movie, but this might be the future.

Really small, just a camera, and a screen, you plug it in a bigger blank device (a desktop tower, a console,a hand sized screen, tv), a shell. Then it connects to a cloud based system, and the small device is only reasonable for authentication. The games, the messages, it all happens in the cloud. Everything at one place, games, personal files,audio logs, videos, pictures, everything organised. With built in personal artificial intelligence that helps your every day (even hooks you up with chicks lul).
This is a viable design that heavily depends on the infrastructure. With quantum computing it is highly possible to achieve

If you care about texting so much maybe you could quit being a brainlet and set up an SMS gateway on your phone. Then you could use a real computer and still do your normie shit.

>rewrite shit for arm though
Not as simple as you think, the set of instruction for ARM architecture isn't the same as x86.
And the lack of competent programmers.

>Trusting anyone but yourself with your data
That's not a good viable option, even if that future with phones that powerful comes to pass the desktop will exist and greatly outperform it. So why would I settle for a less powerful device that I can't fix, and that I have no control over.

So we are back to removable storage.

>that feel when you drop your phone and are locked out of your house forever, when you finally do get in you can't play vidya or even turn on lights. you beg for Alexas help but she will not listen.

Sounds like ultra botnet devices, no thanks senpai

I don't want 1 transforming device. People say phones are getting more powerful but don't understand that desktops have also been getting more powerful. The only 'PC' things that shit and others like it can do is run basic normie shit like Microshaft Edge. Want to do any kind of video or sound production on an Android phone? Want to sort and organize thousands of files, zip up a load of files together? Want to plug multiple external devices, or anything in at all? Want to do anything other than absolute basic web browsing and word processing? You can't. For a very long time, the desktop will still exist no matter how powerful you think a phone can be, a computer will always be more powerful and be the thing that makes all the dumb shit you toy around with on a smartphone.

Transforming phones into desktops is some shit an 8 year old would think is a good idea.

What about creating a cluster of your devices?
For example a dock for your phone with CPU for heavy load?

Yeah, enjoy your terrible latency and unusable anything. The idea has been tried years before. Won't make much sense at any point even when we get nanosecond latency external connections.

my idea is
>wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_3_64_bit_Install
>adafruit.com/product/1946?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI15KOla672wIV1LjACh0mQw7-EAQYAyABEgKyhvD_BwE
>learn.adafruit.com/fona-tethering-to-raspberry-pi-or-beaglebone-black/overview
>switch to manually cut power to gsm ( i.e. fuck a stingray)
>politico.com/magazine/story/2018/06/03/cyrus-farivar-book-excerpt-stingray-218588

> adafruit.com/product/3775

What about folks that are more concerned with the hardware within the product and don't care whether it does or doesn't have gay-men RGB? I imagine you don't go out in public much anyway, and just mock from the safety of your Fractal/Noctua based battlestation.

>one gadget that runs your whole life
What are you going to do if something happens to such an important device?

yo quite down, that guy has brown case fans

Attached: 1527232294239.jpg (726x572, 157K)

I still pray for a proper Linux Phone. And by that, I mean a full desktop in 'phone mode' for daily use. Then when i'm home i can just hook up to any 720, 1080, or 4K tv using an hdmi cable and hit 'desktop mode'. Then sync my bluetooth keyboard and go to work. And the beauty of all this is that the Apps that are made for the phone can also work on any Linux desktop.

>jesus says jews are satan
>jesus is king of the jews

Attached: [confused gay noises].jpg (900x682, 104K)

Samsung is actually making this possible. In about 2 months DeX will support Debian installs officially.

and again, you might want to reread john 8:44, rev 2:9 rev 3:9

Alright, so jews are the good guys. Gotcha

>matter fact
>31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”

34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know that you are Abraham’s descendants. Yet you are looking for a way to kill me, because you have no room for my word. 38 I am telling you what I have seen in the Father’s presence, and you are doing what you have heard from your father.[b]”

39 “Abraham is our father,” they answered.

“If you were Abraham’s children,” said Jesus, “then you would[c] do what Abraham did. 40 As it is, you are looking for a way to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things. 41 You are doing the works of your own father.”

“We are not illegitimate children,” they protested. “The only Father we have is God himself.”

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”

>decide to read up on the new A+ 901 / 902 exams
>downloaded a book
>get to hardware cooling
>calls liquid cooling novelty
>phase change, LN2, dry ice, peltier is not
yeah fuck this "future" we are heading into.

Wow, jews are the children of god. It's like they're all jesuses.

purdy good

Okay, nigga... I'm not the person you're replying to, but you just sold me on DeX. I've got a Galaxy S8 and I've been considering buying the dock but now I'm definitely going to. Damnit.

Did you catch the bit about Linux on Dex coming in the next few months? Once Samsung released the official demo and said they're getting it ready for release, i Sold my desktop the next day. Even without Linux yet, it's worked wondefully. The S8/S9 are truly powerful machines comparable to current mid-range Laptops in terms of performance.

>your cell phone
>implying you control/own the pocket spying device

>looked up the Linux Galaxy shit
>It's real
>full compatibility with any OS
>Gentoo on my phone for real

I want to hate this so much, but how can a phone company be so frakking based

It's never going to happen
The "beefy" specs are literally only there to enable more botnet into your life
If you know what's good for you you'll get rid of your phone

>tfw were getting closer to a world where your Cell Phone is your main computer
the opposite. we had these devices, nobody bought them. samsung will go the same way.

They have to translate CISC instructions into RISC ones which is very very very hard without emulation. It's like rewriting the US constitution in japanese.

I actually kek'd at this post. Well done.

Phones make for pretty solid VR HMDs. The software is getting better by the day.

The purpose is dead in the water, as always.

I would support this shit just for the opportunity to kill off c*nsoles. Fuck those piece of shits.

can any mobile phones even hook up to dual monitors

I think a combination of declarative package management (like nix and guix have), + reguarly incremental backups to your own home server can mostly solve the issue.

you can plug a proper keyboard into your phone and get access to a proper unix-like shell. this is enough to do a lot

(Me)

Attached: fd-ca-node-605-bl11000x1000.jpg (1000x1000, 224K)

I don't understand the hate, are Jow Forums being autistic because new computing platform is emerging?

the day i can do large multi display setups with this is the day ill switch. For now even a laptop isnt enough. Would love to go single system though. Mum is close, runs a gen 3 x1 yoga and 3 TB3 docks on 3 identical setups plus a phone.

>one device for everything

yeah because I want to be unable to use my computer and my phone at the same time since it's stuck in a fuckin dock. discreet devices exist for a reason. and before someone says "use two" then what you've done at that point is dedicate that second device as a computer, and it's just a desktop then isnt it? obviously everything is gonna get smaller eventually but a dedicated desktop is a dedicated desktop no matter how small it gets

shit logic debunked with 5 seconds of critical thinking like most topics on this board

Why everyone things it's a must be one device for everything?
It's one device that can do everything you need.
No body is stopping you from getting a laptop/tablet/desktop/dragon dildo

I think this would only work if your phone acts purely as storage
Imagine a extremely fast connection (like a ssd) on your phone
You use your Android shit all day long, come back home, dock your phone into your desktop and windows use it as main drive and access stuff Android wrote, like your messages and downloads
You can also choose to download a game to your phone or local desktop storage
Later that day you do the same on the laptop, all your files are simply there, as well as your programs
The other day you open the steam app on Android and continue downloading to the windows folder
The dream

i already do that using syncthing

Literally not what was said

There are proper compilers for ARM already. Compiling software from single source code for multiple platforms is pretty normal.
Just take the source code of the software you want to port... oh.
inb4 free software is shit

>windows
What's wrong with you.

I sincerely doubt we'll ever get devices with the same power of conventional desktops while maintaining the small form factor. We're already reaching size limits.

this would be plain bad as if everyone had one device which is their phone for everything, every programmer on earth would try to make viruses and NSA would control it so easy its not even funny. might sound like the perfect world having that but there are always consequences from the bad guys

Kill myself

>a fucking weeb
kys

Eh...

We have ARM compilers for both languages. The issue is that ARM CPUs communicate with hardware differently, and the bootloader (along with parts of the kernel) would have to be rewritten.

Also nobody likes recompiling all their shit

I want neets to push for this, not because it will be successful (it won't be) but because they might progress technology just a little bit more in the process of trying to figure it out

That's not even a software thing. Phones don't have good enough screens to be used well for VR.
Ever try an Oculus Rift? Totally different feel

i dont want a device that uses proprietary bootloaders and drivers so it can only run some shitty android or windows

The stakes are much higher in the future

What if could run gentoo?

>Emial

It's the fucking opposite for some VR headsets, the htc vive has total shit quality whereas a 4k sony smartphone looks stunningly sharp. Without that mesh grid shit all over the place.

maybe they will make the dock part wireless some day

its unlikely if they dont change things so it boots like a normal intel/amd computer. custom bootloaders for every model is the most retarded idea ever.

Not possible unless you make a breakthrough in several areas - thermals for one. CPU intense desktop tasks and desktop gaymen will make your cellphone thermal throttle in seconds.
You'd also have to power the components directly once it's docked rather than just charging the battery.

This sounds a lot like what Ubuntu was trying to do

That's neat, didn't know something like that exists, sadly samsung and gapps spyware is a lot, would be nice having a similar setup on a gapples device, also battery life is a concern, does it gets discharged faster when using the dock?

I want this now, hacker utopia WHEN

Android is useless as a desktop OS. That would only be useful if the phone ran linux.

>Phones into full fledged computers
>Not small computers with capabilities of a phone
I hate to use this word, but
Millennials.

Do you use dex pad or station? I have a problem with the pad, my 5ghz wlan always disconnects when putting the s9 down to the pad. It however works when put upside down to the pad, but then I cant use the phone as a mouse

Station, I got it with my note8.
Never had any issue like that, the only issues I had was monitor doesn't recognize the HDMI output and I have to re-try several times.
And honestly it's very handy, 95% of the time I just use web browsing and social media for work related, and it's superb for presentations.
The only issue is the propriety chip.
You can't use the station/pad with other phones and you can't use the phone with generic USB C hub.
DeX book when?

Attached: Samsung-Dex-Book-concept-1.jpg (1280x1006, 133K)