/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: hKbwzs9.jpg (1268x1820, 737K)

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/qtcerc.flac
audiocubes.com/collections/headphones/products/stax-srs-3100-electrostatic-headphone-system
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-airist-audio-r-2r-dac/talk#discussions
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/490zmq/so_i_did_the_sbaf_mods_to_my_hd_800/
en-us.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones-audiophiles-hd-820
xenona.com/xenonaupl/Ivo_Hristev/AES-tutorials/aesTutorial48.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_unit
jackaudio.org/applications/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

my.mixtape.moe/qtcerc.flac

the Superlux HD330's are better than the Takstar Pro82's

Attached: aaaaa (1 of 1)-99.jpg (1000x624, 131K)

ehhh

Attached: 5309891.jpg (1000x645, 93K)

Memes aside, what are the actually viable alternatives to the Pro 82's?

>Power Voltage Frequency: 117V
So if I get a UK to US step down transformer it should be fine?
audiocubes.com/collections/headphones/products/stax-srs-3100-electrostatic-headphone-system

ath-msr7

>headphones that don't have a perfectly neutral signature are bad

don't worry, audiocubes includes in their orders a transformer for your country
from their faq:
>Are products carried by Audio Cubes Japanese models (100V)? Will I be able to operate them?
Yes, our units are Japanese with Japanese packagings and manuals, and unless stated otherwise their voltage is 100V. However, all orders include a heavy duty matching transformer and we ensure that the set up have no problem for you to use in North America or Europe. If you have questions, you can also contact us and we will always assist.

I didn't say it was bad

Best complementary headphone to HD600?

Attached: 1519706260515.png (1524x3312, 683K)

I didn't know Memedrop sells plagiarized designs these days.

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-airist-audio-r-2r-dac/talk#discussions

Attached: Capture.png (925x888, 533K)

Whatchu gon' do 'bout it?

Attached: wJ9u35cVRj65vQbrYk41_drop_page_perks_image.png (1500x1000, 763K)

Worth getting the HD800 for the mods, lads? FR looks good.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/490zmq/so_i_did_the_sbaf_mods_to_my_hd_800/

Attached: 1bnI5KQ.png (2470x1371, 103K)

some shitty planar

Atrocious, get 1990s instead.

just get 800S

>stealing a 10 ENOB design
oh no no no

Why don't you own HD-820 yet, faggots?
en-us.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones-audiophiles-hd-820

Attached: product_detail_x2_desktop_HD_820-Sennheiser-01.jpg (1312x1312, 110K)

Attached: product_detail_x2_desktop_HD_820-Sennheiser-02.jpg (1312x1312, 105K)

Attached: product_detail_x2_desktop_HD_820-Sennheiser-03.jpg (1312x1312, 96K)

Attached: DTSYocCWsAAnPGF.jpg (1200x900, 104K)

Post yours.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

Ugly and cheap

Attached: sennheiser-hd820.jpg (1920x1080, 161K)

>this product may contain chemicals known to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm

Attached: Thanks-a-Million-Banner.jpg (803x389, 75K)

if you eat it

Stax.

>chink stealing from chink

Pottery.

because it hasn't been released and is horrible value

It looks sexy as fuck from indo user's photo from the last thread.

reviews say they feel like cheap plastic

I've always wanted an HD 800 but I hear they're lacking in bass. Is this also the case with the 820?

They have more glass because of glass.

That's the fattest frequency response you are going to get for 30 bucks. Where did you find this chart?

Are they any good? I haven't followed up with their new headphones.

What about the superlux HD 330?

Based glass-user

buy ZMF

Get on my level.

Attached: sets.jpg (750x1000, 200K)

>chink tube amp

Attached: PO-xIa0T_400x400[1].jpg (400x400, 26K)

what are the best headphones purely for gayming? takstar pro 82?

Atticus

>Blocks your path

Attached: hd600.jpg (875x900, 165K)

Yeah the veil does.

Argon mk3

Attached: Side_off_stand.jpg (1500x1125, 95K)

THANK YOU HEADPHONE JESUS

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 105K)

>he has not experienced ZMF build quality

Attached: a6HF5r1[1].jpg (4032x3024, 1.87M)

I've never liked the wood cups on zmf headphones. They look unfinished and they could be using prettier woods

Attached: Bocote1-750x750.jpg (750x750, 84K)

Maybe it's just the wood grain but that looks so irregular

>Day 7 of saving up for my future STAX earspeakers

Attached: 1509138742450.jpg (960x902, 56K)

Don't forget that you need an amp for it too.

just give up and get DT1990 already

Attached: 1499764451431.jpg (640x511, 128K)

>Massdrop finally comes out with a DAC for their chassis
>They instantly remove it because of this
REEE.

hang in there

>Frogposter
May as well give up now on those stax.

you guys are fucking sad and pathetic gimmick memers

I'm perfectly happy with my ATH-M50x, it's a reputable, Japanese, brand and I've enjoyed wearing them for 16 hours a day for 2 years

Attached: g headphones.jpg (1128x796, 315K)

That's HD598 though.

I seriously don't get audiophiles. What's the point in buying ten pairs of headphones instead of just settling with a good one? I swear to god, many headphones lovers don't even like the music, the just want to hear their equipment.

M50x is a shit headphone and made in Taiwan, not Japan. Don't let the door hit you.

>audiophiles
They're not the ones buying 10 pairs of headphones. They spend a lot of money on one or two pairs for the most part. Along with outrageous amounts of money on equipment, speakers, etc.

But I want to fuck Mia, not look like her.

Stay strong Staxfroganon! Everyday you get closer and closer!

>tfw the Sennheiser shills have mutated into Beyerdynamic shills

this has to be a troll, but in case any newfags are lurking please refer to this

Attached: 1500338144485.png (1577x1000, 912K)

Go for the SR-009 + BHSS and then quit headphones for life

Massdrop is hiring. Would you apply?

I thought Poldy's argument in his tutorial was more convincing. Start from 2.5, page 16.
xenona.com/xenonaupl/Ivo_Hristev/AES-tutorials/aesTutorial48.pdf
I would also like to add that peaks dominate in localization.
>Harman
Here's a table from one of the early trials.

Attached: Harman stuff.png (922x380, 61K)

still pushing your meme guide I see, rabid stax user

*BHSE

Reading through comments regarding this massdrop debacle, came across this. Allegedly this is the quality of work of the guy they ripped off.

Attached: ss+(2015-11-18+at+06.07.40).jpg (866x452, 152K)

>hurr my circuity isn't pretty like a macbook logical board >:(
who cares as long as it works properly

It's not about looking pretty. You do a sloppy job and your shit is liable to break. Just ask Schiit.

This is a pretty dumb question but I'll shamelessly ask it anyway.

Is there any way to uniformly add distortion to audio? Preferably while streaming it, since otherwise I could probably be satisfied with manually distorting it myself (if I knew how). I know it's heresy, but to me distorted audio makes shrill music sound like a cloud instead: it basically masters(?) it so it's broad instead of sticking something thin in your ear. I recently had an experience where an artist I liked released a bad song, but I listened to it anyway to support them :'). I'd like to make it not so bad...

Attached: 678e2777dc57f3c6c4959bb9af005796e873f3dfe006086ac1d7db991619dec9.png (1447x2047, 2.59M)

A500x

I haven't actually heard much about the superlux HD 330, if you want to make your own version of the guide go ahead

it's the quality of the work inside the airist heron, the dudes who did the ripping off.
i'm guessing airist will claim they worked alongside some chinese oem who actually jacked the design, saving face and shifting blame.

this

soundstage, imaging and a bright/neutral sound signature is all that's important for gayming

K702 is also a good headphone

Takstar pro 82 is pretty terrible by competitive gayming headphone standards.

Oh that'st he quality of the work of the people who were doing the ripping off? Thanks for the correction.

>gayming
>standards

>i'm guessing airist will claim they worked alongside some chinese oem who actually jacked the design, saving face and shifting blame.
NO LIABIRITY

Attached: ss+(2018-06-05+at+06.37.22).png (538x635, 310K)

I dont know why you guys love buying from redditdrop, fucking hate that site. is everybody really so impoverished they cant afford anything

So, about a year ago you guys recommended me the MEE M6 pros as decent in-ears. And I like them well enough, but I just needed to say, fuck those things get ungodly amounts of tangled if you so much as look at them.

>competitive gayming headphone standards
no such thing.
if we are talking about actual games with a lot of ambient,voice, effects though, headphones do matter

yes of course that's possible, you can do it a million different ways. but there's no fixed meaning to "distortion." you can call eq distortion. what you're probably thinking of are audio effects, but again there's literally millions of them. you can get hardware to do it live, which is what studios use.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_unit

you can also get huge audio interface like tools for mixing and adding audio effects that cost tens of thousands.

it's possible as well through software. I don't know about windows or mac but on linux jack audio is great for that kind of stuff if you want to feed into applications to live edit sound:

jackaudio.org/applications/

do you have no knowledge about electronics at all or why would you think soldering is a cosmetic issue not a major technical problem

Shit nigger, thank you. I was really feeling myself after that post, cause I thought I did a faux pas somehow.

I was just thinking more along the lines of making a specific song sound like its snippet- it was being played through speakers, then recorded through a phone halfway across the room. It really compromised most of the subtlety in the track, and basically reduced it to its bass and little else. But besides inadvertent "distortion", there are things like the song sounding muffled, as if played behind a door, or perhaps from a poor quality radio. I just wanted a flat modifier of some sort to (I don't know the proper terminology)... reduce the highs? It is sometimes really shrill to me and feels particularly unsafe at high volumes.

Duly noted. I use Windows 7 but I know Linux offers a lot of freedom that Windows doens't at least conventionally grant. Thanks again for the reply, cause I was really cold sweating out here about it, worrying I did something extremely wrong.

You need to go back.

HD598 a cute

so for gaming, you want a big soundstage? what's wrong with a small one?

>tfw you never be a cute anime girl who publishes scientific measurements and headphone reviews for the headphonephile community

Attached: 1526443058038.png (400x416, 158K)

>What's wrong about not being able to discern location from sound
Gee I wonder.

A bigger soundstage (wider is more important than taller, but both are important) allow you to get a sense of space and distance, this helps you to get an idea of where the sounds of someone's footsteps/gunshots/explosions are actually coming from and how far they are away. Headphones with small soundstages will just make it feel like all those noises are just right up against either the left or right side of your ears.

no, you want good imaging
soundstage is a meme, it only makes things sound far away losing on detail
imaging is the directions, like if sound comes from behind or only slightly to the left

hd600s got small soundstage but decent imaging for example, they are pretty good for gaming

no, I game on 600s, that's not how it works

I am worried about SHP9500 THD, how's that? because im gonna EQ it.

Yeah you're right, half of that is just imaging.

Topping D10+THX AAA Amp powering an HD600 and emu teak is my end game.

I thought that was imaging? I'm a complete retard regarding everything sound related

oh okay so imaging is a bit more important but it's best to have both?

Hearing the gear is a huge part of it yeah. I really do love my music but I spend just as much time being blown away with how good the headphones sound as I do appreciating the jams.

HD600 mid and low response is too colored for either. It manifests as inaccuracy in the tonal character and in localization.

THD is overrated, especially at low frequencies.
Just equalize and see if you run into problems. Do you already own the set?