Software closing, move to open source?

The greatest Bible concordance software option Bibleworks has announced they're closing after 10 editions. The lead developer is turning 70, and in his forum post he explains that moving to open source isn't a viable option since the software depends on licensed material.
Licensed material he's referring to:
>Bible translations in all languages
>Commentaries
>Atlases
>Dictionaries

Is there an example of open source software allowing for paid extensions to include licensed matieral, or are the two antithetical?

If this software were to be saved by migrating to an open source option? How would you do it?

The other proprietary options are several thousand dollar unintuative DRM and subscription based garbage

Attached: IMG_20180605_095430.jpg (1045x8100, 1.92M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_copyright_law
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Man, a 70 year old dev. I'm actually impressed.

He says in the post that the youngest developer is 49

Christianity = open source
Judaism = closed source

Why not move to open source what you can, try to get licenced material to contribute as well. If it doesn't, let the project go into capable hands and built the new material as open source. It will take time, but will be worth it. Hell, it's Bible software, they can probably also raise some easy money for the project.

>try to spread the word of god
>the religious texts your software depends on are aggressively copyrighted and coveted by greedy humans

Funny how that works out.

FYI the original reason copyright was established was so the church could stop people from printing sacrilegious texts and force them to only print propaganda.

In theory you can open source the software stripped of licensed material and make license material "pluggable". This could let another company license the material and "plug it in" in the same way a document reader can read any .txt file. But it depends on how well they compartmentalized the data from the logic. Also depends on if the licensor will agree to license their stuff to a company using foss

What reasons would keep a license holder from agreeing to sell on a foss platform?

This is unacceptable. They can offer the licensed material IN A SEPARATE DOWNLOAD.

Tell the developer to do the right thing.

to elaborate, the tools are linked by verse and word where you can select a section in your bible translation and it will display the relevant information in another panel as a greek dictionary, commentary or whatever else

How can you extend this to a full compelling argument?

Open source everything and direct all complaints to [email protected]

God is giving them an opportunity to pass the torch, open source is that torch. All the licensed material can carry on too by including it as a separate download in the next releases but you can secure your own effort won't be for nothing by making the torch itself open to improvement.

Don't leave the world in darkness.

>The greatest Bible concordance software
Whatever, can't they just demo it with a pagan or satanic bible or whatever?

Or maybe it's time to stop supporting 2000 year old Schizophrenic stories and grow up from your imaginary friends.

/thread

Idk security. Companies have funny policies

i agree my fellow reddittor

Obsessed

this

the only thing missing in this great post is repeating digits

They should be using the King James Version. Zero corruption, and zero license fees.

Attached: image.jpg (176x176, 14K)

Theres no reason why you cant separate the logic from the text here but it really depends on how the software is already architected. You can always ask them to try and separate it

>Bible can be copyrighted
Why do people put up with stupid shit like this?

Attached: newslatinamericacocacolaaccusedoffundingcolombiandeathsquad19099225.png (500x568, 99K)

If the program is impossible to use without the licensed material then open source doesn't really make sense.... unless

To fund new translations

>FYI the original reason copyright was established was so the church could stop people from printing sacrilegious texts and force them to only print propaganda.
wait, I'm finally learning something form Jow Forums (although not too related to tech). though it'd be cool if you posted your source

Anderson affirms studying Greek, which is the goal of the program

Usually angry tards like you turn out to be "former" Catholics. I say former because they usually still believe but they're simply angry at God because their lives turned out to be shit and not as fulfilling as you thought it would be

Attached: thinking.png (429x459, 28K)

Mazzeltov

The power of the mysterious amerikan soul.

>Yet another example of how FOSS was never able to produce any half decent alternative

mfw now I have to translate the bible into an open-source-friendly version for future generations

Better to worship kike bullshit from the 1800s, right comrade?

Attached: 1527232294239.jpg (726x572, 157K)

There is one, it's called the NET
Kjv and other old translations are in the public domain too

I don't have a primary source but check the citations on wikipedia if you want more info en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_copyright_law