/wt/ - watch thread: modern patrician edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches and horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=uPnTOcCEugU

>Other Recommended Watch Media
soundcloud.com/twobrokewatchsnobs
shoutengine.com/WatchAndListen/
hodinkee.com
youtube.com/user/watchfinder

>Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=CtGfhSqj68k

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Essential Pieces of a Watch:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Notes: Please no more shitposting guys, leave it to Rakesh and a few others. The bead posting is just really old, lets try to be creative with it at the very least. Maybe revitalize the TVG posting, but lets change it up instead of dumping five posts of the same boring, unfunny meme all at the same time. Thanks.

Previous thread >>irrelevant shitposting

Attached: fine timepiece.jpg (4873x2741, 688K)

current thread

Thank you for the recommendation. I've never seen that JLC before but I love the dial, I'll look into it more. I also love the dial design on the Grand Seiko, it's absolutely stunning. Unfortunately for me, it's a bit busy and feel that I would tire of looking at it after a while.

>I've never seen that JLC before
It's the watchmaker's watchmaker, my dude.

Hey lads, just bought myself a new watch, what do you think?

Attached: new.jpg (800x600, 84K)

Absolutely gorgeous.

That Polaris is new. I'm going to my local boutique soon to view it in person.

wear it in good health

> they see me trolling

>tripcode
>required viewing video is unrelated
>recommending watch and listen
>not linking the previous thread
this is one of the worst OPs in ages

Who cares. It has one of the best watch photos in ages.

I'm intimately familiar with Jaeger LeCoultre, just not that Polaris model. I've been hoping to purchase one for quite a while, but I've fallen in love with a lot of their offerings. I love the Master Control Ultra Thin, especially at the price point, but I also love the Geophysic True Second and (now) the blue dial Polaris. I was unimpressed by the promotional pictures of the Polaris but the textured dial looks excellent in the right lighting conditions.

lmao

suck it, nerd

So.... what do you think about this one?

Attached: jl210_im.jpg (940x500, 62K)

A copy of A Journey Through Time has come up for sale on watchrecon for whoever has been interested in it.

Attached: 20180408_142425.jpg (2051x1050, 1.01M)

Yea mean the failed space watch?

The required viewing video is also flatly wrong. The original Paul Newman Daytona was not the most expensive watch ever sold, as the Henry Graves Supercomplication sold for $24 million in 2014, and is also probably the greatest watch ever made.

Attached: Henry-Graves-Patek-Philippe-Supercomplication-Sothebys-8.jpg (1500x1000, 191K)

found the unoriginal bead-poster, pathetic

>probably the greatest watch ever made
I like my watches to be useful and not just for showing off, so I wouldn't agree.

put your trip back on

last thread's alpinist wasn't nice enough for you?
oh i'm sorry it was a seiko, probably upsets your delicate swiss sensitivities.
please, by all means, continue your rolex+beads posts now.

>I like my watches to be useful and not just for showing off, so I wouldn't agree.
I meant from an horological perspective, you inveterate pleb.

AAAAARRRRRREREEE UUUUUUUUUUU RRRRREEEEEEAAAAAADDDDYYYYYY????

Attached: areurdy.png (798x722, 85K)

I'm a little ambivalent that cramming a bunch of complications into a big pocketwatch is the absolute height of horology. It's a cool watch. VC has a cooler one, though I concede the patek was pre-CAD, which is impressive.

Oh, I thought you meant the thing you wrote.

I like it, though with a black dial I'd prefer it on a bracelet. Unfortunately I have no shortage of dress watches on straps, which is why I'm looking for something with either a truly interesting complication (like the Geophysic True Second) or something a little more sporty like the Polaris.

Any recommendations for a 400€ automatic watch with a leather strap? It should be black or any dark color. I don't know a lot about watches so any help would be great.

nice try, pal

Attached: nicetrypal.png (714x560, 62K)

what did you order?

>I'm ambivalent that having a bunch of time keeping complications on a pocketwatch is the height of the study and measurement of time keeping
wew lad

new old stock Swatch pulsometer from Italian collector. For my brother who is going into med school.

Attached: swatch-pulsometer-ga106-6.jpg (388x388, 37K)

Yeah, I'm sure the most complicated watch ever created before the use of a computer to assist its design, from a time when most highly complex complications were passed down only between master and apprentice, and when that many complications had never before been put into the same watch, isn't that impressive in terms of the art and science of watchmaking...

Put that baby on the nato already pls

How's your wrist game /wt/?

Attached: IMG_1124.jpg (728x700, 149K)

End game tier

Attached: wristgame.jpg (640x640, 87K)

What movement is in this? Looks neat.

Attached: 20170328_221111-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.52M)

>Please no more shitposting guys, leave it to Rakesh and a few others
Spotted the faggot

>Maybe revitalize the TVG posting
TGV posting is only for the true connoisseurs, not your average /wt/ trolls

Attached: tgv132123.png (1500x1500, 3.22M)

Attached: IMG_1215.jpg (652x676, 155K)

Attached: IMG_1233.jpg (800x800, 553K)

can someone articulate to me why I hate this watch so much?

Oh good, here comes the bracelet and bead faggot.

What the fuck is the thing with all these beads/bracelets? Looks gay as fuck.

Yeah
You're a poorfaggot who cant appreciate horology.

Attached: IMG_1235.jpg (500x500, 72K)

BB

Attached: IMG_5335.jpg (3264x2448, 1.07M)

Attached: IMG_5428.jpg (3264x2448, 1.14M)

Poor sub :(

Attached: IMG_1241.png (698x766, 1.06M)

That's probably the most boring Rolex photo I've seen all year...

Of a boring watch too

I have two watches here, but I have no idea what they are. Could you guys please help?

Attached: 20180605_205602.jpg (2225x3961, 2.47M)

Help guys. How do I achieve this level of wrist game?

Attached: halp.jpg (772x510, 78K)

what ref. is this?

i've never seen a non-maxi dial, no-date submariner with the superlative chronometer inked on the dial

Hello rakesh bro
Just wear your tudor among a bunch of old dudes while sipping wine.
Also maybe add some bracelets dunno.

Propably a feike

Cop or?

Attached: 7928-blue.jpg (2742x1542, 316K)

Hell yeah

Attached: IMG_1244.jpg (1440x1920, 261K)

Are you trolling? I don't know much about watches and even I recognize what looks to be Vostok and Swatch.

Brave men walking among cowards

Attached: IMG_2387.jpg (1000x1000, 243K)

#BornToBeBrave

Get a Seiko SARB and put it on a leather strap, ez

Only the brave are born to dare to wear a slice of nature

Attached: slice.jpg (1552x873, 445K)

No I'm not trolling at all, just don't troll me or make fun of it, I just want to know exactly what it is, please.

Is it a Vostok?
I know it's slavic because there is slavic text on its back (this freaking thing started to run after I held it in my hand even tho it's been collecting dust for 20 years lmao)

Swatch? Is it really?

Wtf, why do I have these in my drawer? They've been lying around for 19 years or something, I remember I had these when I was so damn young I couldn't even use them on my wrist because I was just a child.

Lmao

you've got either a pretty wierd and interesting swatch (might be a knockoff. if not, pretty cool).

and a not so cool vostok (plated brass).

both are pretty bad but i'd probably keep the swatch as a fun novelty

>fake tudor
no user. no.

absolutely pure class

Yes. I want to get one myself.

I have been seeking a similar watch for self-defense purposes.
How solid is that timepiece and will it handle if you use it to bash an assailant?

Apparently it is a 1995 edition commemorating the 50th. Anniversary of the end of "The Great Patriotic War" - the Eastern Front conflict of World War II. The picture dial portrays Rodina Mat (or Mother Russia), a statue which stands atop the Mamayev Kurgan memorial complex overlooking Volgograd (Stalingrad).

Okay guys I will stop posting watch and bead combos and shitters if you apologize for making fun of my heirloom watch that I got from my grandmother.

The watch means a lot to me and I would like each of you who insulted me over it to apologize and then we are even and I will only post quality content.

Attached: IMG_2455.jpg (500x667, 134K)

not surprised the vostok still works, it's automatic so it will wind itself and run forever if you wear it.

You know, most people visually inspect things before asking others what they are, if that other one is a Swatch, it will undoubtedly say "SWATCH" on the back along with some other information. If not, it's probably a knockoff of one. I don't see the characteristic Swatch strap lugs so it's probably some cheapo.

just a little weird how many people coming in here asking what a particular watch is when literally all the information you need is printed on the very device you're asking about.

That's how bad the other OP pics have been.

Also say whatever you like but the Daytona is a design classic.

Then it is not a swatch.

I had no way of knowing how to search the vostok tho, I can't read what's on its back at all. It's russian.

> someone said something bad about me on the internet so I'll troll
Are you 12?

Attached: IMG_2534.jpg (800x800, 155K)

I have had my SARB035 just sitting in the box unopened for months unworn. Should I just wear it or flip it in a few years?

It won't be worth any more than it is now, unless you wait 60 years until everyone have thrown theirs away.

dw

Attached: IMG_4939.jpg (710x696, 119K)

anyone else join the mvmt?

post cute watches

Attached: IMG_1459.png (566x712, 794K)

Wear it. Please tell me you didn't really buy a Seiko as an "investment"

Attached: julia.png (960x544, 467K)

your family "hierloom" is worth nothing, like a pauper handing down a fucking rock to his kin when he dies. Stop sperging if you legitimately think you can threaten us or hold that over our head, garuentee you 95% of us just ignore your posts, so enjoy wasting YOUR time in vain. I hope your grandmother is rotting in hell you fucking faggot

Here bro
Loving the classic coal black and white combo

Attached: IMG_5232.png (616x778, 717K)

unrelated but calling it now the PADI turtle is going to shoot up in value when it gets discontinued.

do you like my collection?

Attached: dwcollection.jpg (622x772, 138K)

well that shut him up, lol

Nah I bought it with the intent of wearing it, but just did not like it compared to my other Seiko so just shelved it.

It very likely won't be automatic. Have to wind manually.

Attached: IMG_2388.jpg (714x524, 188K)

I haven't wounded it. I just held it in my hand and it started going.

Attached: IMG_2411.jpg (639x640, 36K)

Attached: IMG_4112.png (618x774, 1.07M)

Attached: IMG_2311.jpg (640x640, 114K)

I'm curious, how far along the autism spectrum do you sit?

COME AT ME

Attached: wristgaem.jpg (640x640, 111K)

about as far as my dick in your mommas asshole last nite

Attached: IMG_1686.jpg (600x600, 42K)

Nice, she's been dead for 5 years.

You haven't even said what watch it was you got mad about.