So now that the dust has settled, what is Jow Forums's opinion of the Raspberry Pi?

So now that the dust has settled, what is Jow Forums's opinion of the Raspberry Pi?

Attached: 1500288043544.jpg (1571x1080, 189K)

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and dust gathering Raspberry Pi's.

Attached: Judge evicts man, 30, who refused to move out of his parents home or pay any rent.jpg (425x370, 19K)

I used it in my distributed software class for a waypoint server. Bretty cool

Impressive paperweights. That said, I'm actually using mine.
I think their best application is a low-power miniserver. For example like a VPN access point into a network.

it's okay it's not great. there are better alternatives but the community is smaller. I have one and I made my first web server/site on it and used the skills I learned from using that and reading /wdg/ to land a job as a developer. I only replied to your thread because of those trips

orange and banana and whatever chink clone pis are better

Allwinner is shit and you are shit too.

They're neat, but overhyped as fuck.

A successful startup from bongistan.

Wanted one for osdev/bare metal programming but it's way too closed and proprietary wirh hardly any docs so I gave up on it.
Gonna use a Beaglebone Black instead.

Too weak to do anything useful. I don't see the point in owning one and letting it collect dust. If I'm planning to make an electronics project, I'd just use a msp430 or an arduino; much easier and less overhead

>Beaglebone Black
Patritian taste

Loaded a retro pi with games for my sister which she apparently uses pretty much every day to relax before going to bed.
Use one in my home and hers as a pihole. All prepackaged standard stuff. Neat but ultimately a 'who cares' thing.

I too use your sister's pihole :^)

Terrorism

I use mine for non resource heavy things like web crawlers which need to run a long time.

Can I use it as a 1080p media player for the TV? Not even 4k, will it overheat or something?

It misses another RJ45 port. It'd make a nice little router

>ethernet on USB2 bus
>router

user...

What do YOU use as a router then, huh?

Can I use it if I only wanna browse the web, use LibreOffice and program in Python? Is Raspbian good enough for this and the processor fast enough?

I have an old poweredge I got for $50 with built-in dual gigabit ethernet. It's kind of old and slow but it runs a pfsense router and plex server well enough.

its good for arm assembler learning

Love all eight of mine.

>Nonfree hardware

No thanks.

Good entry into homelabbing and freeing people from the clutches of the cloud.

There should be a distribution that's focused on giving you a selection of server-services that you can mix and match at will.
That's the real power of Raspis. Not shitty LED blinkers.

pathetic

want to use one to program OS for it, but am scared of booting being problematic
iirc booting OpenBSD on it is clusterfuck and it might be because of some drivers, dunno have to check that and how other (small) OSs do that before buying it
although it could be useful outside OSdev, dunno what's about that graphics chip driver licensing issue

Just buy an old thinkpad

I have a first gen I don't know what to do with, and now a Zero W which I finished using for something else, and now don't know what to do with.

useless power consumption

Im planning to buy one, how propietary is its firmware?

Very proprietary.

Retropie is pretty good. Kodi is a great media player. I have one set up as a security camera.

They're pretty versatile

Attached: exploits_of_a_mom.png (400x123, 16K)

how good is bluetooth working on the Pi with Raspbian? I have a Logitech K380 and a Logitech M590, using both via Bluetooth so a good connection is mandatory.

Damn, is there an alternative out there?

Lack of Gigabit Ethernet killed it.

Still don't understand their resoning, the price would be +5$ to put it in.

whats the chepest model that can run PiHole?

also besides a power adapter and a SD card what more do i need to make it run?

Dude, the 3B+ has gigabit ethernet.
It's also fucked over by some wonky firmware shit, causing it to be even slower than normal ethernet.
Even without the issue, it can reach 300mb/s tops.
This shit isn't as simple as slapping on an ethernet chip. There's a fuckload of other considerations in there.
If anything, they should have gone for a faster SD-card-reader in the B+.

What the fuck do you need gigabit for, anyway?

See

dude mine can't do over 250mb/s

and i need more because i have a Gigabit internet connection, so i want to use it as a seedbox/file server

Orange Pi Zero

It has none of the superfluous shit like HDMI ports. Just an ethernet jack and a single USB port.
You don't need anything else, aside from maybe a case and an SD card reader. Also, Raspbian has SSH disabled by default, but it can be enabled via adding an option in the boot ini on the image.

(I swear if the fucking boot dot ini thing is word filtered I'll strangulate Amazon)

>Orange Pi Zero

just googled it and its a copycat chink board, are you sure Raspbian even works on this shit?

>low power server

this. when you move out of your parents basement and have to actually pay ludicrous energy costs they make sense rather than runing your xeon 24/7 just to torrent

It sits in a spot where it's too weak for a lot of PC things and too strong to act as a microcontroller

then I'm sorry for your purchase. i too find the pi slow as hell for anything more than an emulator box or a simple filesharing server. as user says, the whole interface runs off a USB2 hub, from an SD card.

I'd recommend getting a passively cooled mini-ITX system. Currently running pfSense on pic related; Realtek Gigabit for WAN and USB3.0 ethernet on LAN. I haven't noticed any slowdowns. And if you do find the interfaces slow, you can always put in a PCI-E Dual-Port NIC.

Attached: asrock-motherboard-qc5000m-itx-ph-a4-5000-ddr3-1600-sata3-hdmi-d-sub-mitx.jpg (800x800, 104K)