OpenBSD is a meme

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/innovations.html
man.openbsd.org/bulk.8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cool story.

>is so desperate to shitpost about BSDs, he can't even wait for a thread to show up

@66231903
(You)

Nice copypasta.

Attached: reddit.png (310x310, 25K)

>Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?
wow you surely know a lot about computers

I am worried about the developers of OpenBSD being total cancer and spreading their ideology like cancer to others. Just look at their fanboys defending their mistakes at all costs.

tell that to defcon guys el ou el

>Just look at their fanboys defending their mistakes at all costs.
I honestly think this only happens on Jow Forums

This. Looked like OP was going to slam dunk btfo openbsd but he posts some retarded garbage nonsense

I am worried about the developers of the GNU operating system being total cancer and spreading their ideology like cancer to others. Just look at their fanboys defending their mistakes at all costs.

>spreading cancer
wut

BSD fagboy detected. You are so easy to recognized niggers.

you ever notice that the people who really dislike BSD can't write english for shit? must be one of those latinos who work for the FSF

cancer isn't contagious

Attached: forrest-gump-30.jpg (900x611, 154K)

t. fanboy

Not really, although they can't seem to write C for shit.

Where did the UNIX touch you?

In all honesty though, just an user scrolling by, but OpenBSD's weakness, which is its only weakness but still a big one, is that it hasn't received much critical attention from the security community. How you define that community is somewhat subjective, but it hasn't received even a 1/4 of the attention GPG has gained over the years, and even it still has glaring bugs exposed every so often, like recently.

The Qubes devs point this out as well, that there are definitely more holes that haven't been spotted over all this time.

Pretty sure thats totally wrong though the defacto ssh server for unix is from openbsd. The distro doesnt get a whole lot of attention as a whole but they have some big projects within it.

Ok, so parts of it may be better developed than expected. But an OS is big, and you need the whole project to have serious attention.

what's the safest way to handle installing ports through sudo/doas on openbsd and netbsd?

you can't just give make root permissions, that's not very safe.

Its was forked from NetBSD in 1995, and they prioritise code correctness over new features. This isn’t your latest meme linux distro. No none trivial OS will have less bugs than the base OpenBSD install

just put the tree in your home dir, or put it in the standard location and chown

this is you.

Attached: freebsd experience.jpg (1300x804, 161K)

Didnt those stupid Norks try and take over openbsd for their nuclear missles and stuff?

>implying I would ever use an OS that hates hugs

At some point there was talk about "FBI backdoors" that was clearly bs but then openbsd devs still took the time to fully review the entire source code that might hold such a backdoor
You probably underestimate what working full time as a professional software/computer engineer on a project means
Most of the BSD distributions (freeBSD excluded I think but dont hold me to that) are projects run by engineers working full time, not hobbyists

> Filesystem
I don't care. The OS is user friendly and reliable.

> remote holes
No OS should be responsible for the security of 3rd party software. No OS claims to be.

> danger of ending
The users gave them money. Even if every core dev was killed tomorrow, the software will keep running as long as you have supported hardware.

> standards
I don't care. The OS is user friendly and reliable.

If OpenBSD is so into standard compliance, why did they put GNU extensions into their source tree in the first place?

This thread again.

No operating system goes as far as OpenBSD to provide security

openbsd.org/innovations.html

Set PORTS_PRIVSEP. Better yet, just use packages.

Man, instead of posting the same thing over and over go fap or do something productive, like do your fucking homework finally

The whole *BSD community manages to be both butthurt about Gahnoo/Limux and pretentious as fuck at the same time.

Hey at least its better than 90% of the other threads unfortunately. Best linux distro threads and all the other pointless bikeshedding threads muh java muh bloat consumer electronics, 12 year olds asking for tech support. This site really is getting worse it seams. The avg number of decent threads at any given time is dropping every year.

Why should I use openbsd over netbsd?

Well, /tech/ was better last time I checked but also extremely slow.

People actually use OpenBSD, it think netBSD compiles for more architectures but for desktop use there is no competition

>desktop bsd
is a meme but openbsd does have a lot of nice things going for it secwise. They also develop some of the best software packages.

Netbsd is portable but that really only matters if you're putting it on toasters. Also ARM is its own fucking hassle that is beyond netbsd's control. "More architectures" is not scaling with "more individual blobbed to fuck arm chips" where they're lagging behind sunxi all the damn time.

It is funny how the only way we can get OpenBSD discussion threads with this trash pasta, maybe the real shitposters are the generals, and OP is fighting to improve Jow Forums

>desktop BSD
werks on my machine.

Yeah thats why I come here because I can just post stupid shit without having to think all that much. Its still possible to have a decent discussion without spending 10 minutes for form a huge wall of text that nobodys going to read anyway.

Can't be a desktop machine if you don't have graphics drivers.

But I do have graphics drivers...
Im sorry you cant play your video games user, but that’s not really what OpenBSD is for anyway, you would be happier using windows

I'm not even the vidya babbies just have a heavily graphical workflow. I could theoretically need CUDA shit too and thats a whoel other nightmare. Not sure about opencl.

Use packages or man.openbsd.org/bulk.8

It seems that my superiority has spawned jealousy

Have fun with the systemD creep, GNUfag
OpenBSD has a solid philosophy and they refuse to use blobs and shortcuts, even if it means reduced hardware compatibility.

Attached: ppuf400X363.gif (400x363, 79K)

Actually Hurd does, which is why there's renewed interest in it. Everything runs in userspace including drivers, every user can run a custom kernel at the same time, there's no memory exploits or shared filesystems. It's pretty much the ultimate secure system even includes namespaces by default instead of the ugly hacks kernel.org shoved in to enable namespaces.

Soon you can even run OpenBSD kernels in Hurd, since they're using NetBSD kernels these days in Hurd to take advantage of the userland drivers.

even if you're not running openbsd as an OS you're probly gonna end up running openbsd software anyway. Some good shit.

Ι mean good for them, even if it took them 40 years
But I still hate the GPL license (especially GPLv3+ that im sure Hurd will be under) so ill just stick to my bsd thanks

Why "hate" GPL?
Please explain.

Too restrictive

For all that software you're distributing?

No, for the software that I want to use
I sincerely believe the GPL code does NOT help the global state of technology in general
Just read openBSD's stance on the GPL ideology, I find it 100% reasonable and correct

So you're mad about something that doesn't even affect you? Even the GNUest man doesn't advocate GPL in all cases, only as a means to defend against proprietary alternatives. BSD exists due to GPL.

It does affect me, just not immediately
The MIT license existed long before the GPL license and the BSD license is a spinoff of that
The GPL license exists because Stallman is a pompous asshole

It affects people who distribute software and nobody else, ever. BSD is secure because linux is viable. Not great, viable. It would have been perfectly affordable for 90s microsoft to EEE the fuck out of BSD before it ever took off if linux wasn't right there with it being impervious to money.

Stallman is pompous as fuck but he's like an ascetic monk living only by the freedoms and charity and shit. That doesn't mean you need to worship or imitate him to benefit.

i'll have a look, thanks.