Hey Jow Forums, techlet here

Hey Jow Forums, techlet here.
I am thinking of upgrading to a new PC but there is so much shit to consider. If I get a 1440p monitor, what happens when a game doesn't support it? Does upscaled 1080p look worse? Does watching 1080p videos look worse than on a native res monitor? What about 144hz? What if a game is locked at 60fps? Doesn't that cause screen tearing? I don't want to invest in a meme and find out it's better only some of the time, instead of it being a straight up upgrade. Also with new GPUs coming soon, when is the best time to upgrade and what to? Pic unrelated.

Attached: 1523884342784m.jpg (910x1024, 156K)

>If I get a 1440p monitor, what happens when a game doesn't support it?

what

all games support 1440p

The only game that doesn't support 1440p that I know is from 1999

Most games will support 1440p.

Right now the card for 1440p would be a used 980Ti, a 1070, or 1070Ti.

What about the other part of the question? What if I were to watch a 1080p video?

B-Bump

Attached: 1526323679061.jpg (686x586, 352K)

Maybe if he's only going for 60fps. I have a 1080 and a 1440p 144hz monitor. I have to play my games on medium/low to comfortably maintain 144fps

>What if I were to watch a 1080p video?
user, even an Intel GPU can do that. Lots of normies do it on their smartphones every day. look at the graphics in the Nintendo Switch can produce and realize that it uses an somewhere old single board computer Nvidia made for tablets. 1080p video on a 2K monitor would probably look about the same although you should keep in mind that 2K is not twice the size of 1080 so it might look more compressed but I don't know since I don't have a 2K or 4k monitor. you could run any recent game on your new monitors native resolution so I don't know why you would care. sometimes you can even get old games to run at higher resolutions than they were designed for.

We have an entire thread for stuff like this (/sqg/) which I guess you wouldn't know because you're either from Reddit, only here doing the summer, or underaged. The only reason I answered your question is because I'm in a slightly better mood today than usual.

Next time I see someone clogging up the catalog with consumer questions like this, op is going to get bullied.

Attached: 1523906815488.png (701x720, 357K)

This is pretty much the thing: a normal 1080 is good for 1080p 144fps, while 1440p 144fps you really want to get 1080ti, hell even 1440p 60fps maximum graphics can be sometimes a challenge for 1080ti especially when the game is graphically intensive and isn't optimized really well.

t: 1080ti 1440p player.

And to answers OP's question: It really doesn't look worse, it just looks the same and sometimes even better with some videoplayers own enhancements.

For video and games it doesn't really matter, though a higher resolution always looks better of course.
The only thing that looks bad is setting your desktop settings to 1080p on a 1440p monitor, because the pixels don't align properly. This will cause text to look blurry and unattractive. See pic related.
But this is absolutely no problem on a 1440p monitor since you can set everything to 1440p. I've been using a 1440p monitor for 5 years now and I had absolutely 0 issues with it.

Attached: 6243789543.jpg (1280x800, 191K)

I never asked if it can handle 1080p, but if 1080p would look considerably worse on a higher res monitor.
As for the rest of your post, you should consider killing yourself at the earliest convenience.

>The only game that doesn't support 1440p that I know is from 1999
you fucking underage retard.
In 2000s we gamed in 1600x1200 and then the shitty TFTs came and everybody switched to 1280x1024 for almost a decade.

my $400 syncmaster monitor from 2006 is at 1680x1050...

>user even an intel gpu can do that
Reading comprehension, this was never asked.
>it might look more compressed but I don't know
So? I thought you are a smug anime poster, you should know how resolutions work better than me
>We have an entire thread for stuff like this (/sqg/)
You could make a thread about anything and ban all discussion ever, plus your thread won't answer my last question. I also don't browse Jow Forums very often.
>I guess you wouldn't know because you're either from Reddit, only here doing the summer, or underaged
I don't browse Jow Forums you jaded pathetic loser. Kill yourself.
>The only reason I answered your question is because I'm in a slightly better mood today than usual
You didn't answer shit. If you are gonna be a smug jaded faggot, at least be a smart smug jaded faggot.
>next time op is going to get bullied
Oh no, whatever will OP do

Attached: 1526154195657.gif (308x175, 2.86M)

What about videos? Judging from your image, if I try to view 1080p anything 9n a 1440p monitor, it's gonna look like shit. As for games, I guess most support 1440p so it doesn't really matter. I just don't want to fall for the higher res meme and have to deal with all sorts of bullshit. Same goes for 144hz, wouldn't 60fps look terrible on that?

You don't understand. Look at the 1080p on a 1440p monitor. The problem is that at the border, the colors are combining to smoothen out the picture.
This doesn't matter in video, since there are no hard borders to things anyway. It's always neighboring colors flowing over into each other.
Text really is the only exception. Look at this text right here, it's pure, hard black on top of pure, hard blue. Here the pixels aren't supposed to merge, since that gives the stongest contrast and makes the text most readable.
In video it really doesn't matter, trust me.

60fps on a 144hz monitor is more of an issue though. Since certain frames will be visible for longer than others you will get some minor stutter. It's not as bad though as, say, 24fps on a 60hz screen.
But every monitor can be set to run at a lower framerate, so if you're gonna view 60fps content I would suggest turning your monitor down to either 60hz or 120hz.

>maki isn't real

Attached: 1525259281675.jpg (500x500, 47K)

To prove my point regarding video, I've taken a screenshot from above user's gif.
Look at the part where the guy's hair borders the background.
When looking at the video, it might look like the black and gray colors here are directly colliding, but if you look closely at the pixels you can see that there are at least a couple pixels that turn the hair from black into dark gray into lighter gray.
This is what I mean by video not having any hard borders. The same is true for games.

Attached: hair.png (1510x1390, 59K)

I haven't done my research on 144hz monitors yet, but can you switch it on the fly? That would instantly solve the issue right? Can every 144hz monitor be set to 60hz/120hz?

not him but
>asks stupid question
>asked to move it to /sqg/
>hurr kys
this makes people not want to help you

Attached: 1528036283194-g.png (1024x749, 196K)

Yes, as far as I know it's common for 144hz monitors to have an option to limit the refresh rate, which you can change in the AMD/Nvidia settings.
TFT Central usually compares response times for different refresh rates, and all the 144hz monitor reviews I have read from them have included tests at 60hz, so I know it's a standard functionality.

Attached: 62934543.png (1094x865, 171K)

So far that one or two user's have been very helpful, plus I've asked multiple questions.
The problem with that user you are referring to is that he is probably a fairly old, jaded and depressed person, overweight and prefers to be an arrogant cunt where possible so that he may feel superior to others, if even for a little bit. Then he goes back to watch his anime on his heavily modified Linux system deep into the dark, lonely night, as he always does, as he always has.

if you don't like it you can fuck right off, this isn't reddit, and that faggot answering you should know that too
read the fucking sticky and don't pollute the catalog you dipshit, it's okay to be a newfag just don't be arrogant about it

I hope you find happiness in your life soon user