Hi Jow Forums, I'm a newb at programming...

Hi Jow Forums, I'm a newb at programming, but playing the game UnReal World written in C++ has gotten me quite interested in learning more about the language. Is there a specific beginners book to C++ that you would recommend?

Attached: unreal-world-330-seal-tribe-village.png (1199x898, 894K)

learncpp.com

a bit unrelated but how are you liking it? I have it in my library but have yet to play it.. sorry to i've been trying to make my own roguelike, if you want some engines, I know TOME makes their lua engine available, and there is also lambdahack (haskell) and pygame+tcod (python) for other language options.

Thanks for the rec
I'm really liking how complex it can get. It's definitely time consuming, but not in a tedious way...more in a focused, immersed way. Highly recommended.

i'll probably get flamed for talking about video games here, but if you like UnReal World check out CDDA and Dwarf Fortress adventure mode as well.

>get flamed
What year is it???

err yeah, we used to say that... i'm old(ish). Still say old things sometimes.

Attached: c149b2ed148e8d068be6589dc298277fb281bbea2ad878891bd4e395eed9bc6b.jpg (1500x1046, 567K)

Don't do it again
I'm giving you an infraction for this post.
You've been warned.

I'm 25 and still say that(I'm not old?). Thanks for the game recs.

fuck i'm at my limit for the month already.

well thanks for making me feel better. I'm 30 this year so it's all downhill from here on after.

No problem gramps, I mean, user.

(shakes cane) back in my day we used rage face instead of angry pepe to declare our autistic screeching

Attached: 71ed7f42d6b2ead86a15e1b9cc1021e937d7135737de030957767cc95452d5c5.jpg (1260x900, 236K)

>write URL manually
>forget a p

Attached: 1525442425185.jpg (218x218, 8K)

Just make games in Unity or at most pick Unreal if you feel adventurer. Really

rekt

Use Godot OP

Thank you for a new template OP

When godot throws away gdscript, yes.

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (2nd Edition)

By Bjane Stroustrup

is the one Jow Forums recommended me 3 years ago, I haven't even got into yet (I've been in college for the last 2 years).

desu, fuck books.

You're better off following a youtube tutorial or one of the numerous online ones when it comes to learning the basics of a language.

However, the books are good for exercises and as a reference once you have an idea of what you're doing.

Attached: fraiser trek.jpg (640x595, 47K)

You can use c#

Scott Meyers books

Pretty sure URW was made using SDL2. So you can just look up tutorials for that library.

woah

A game like that doesn't require the absolute highest level for performance (except maybe for the world generation part?) so doing it in C++ wouldn't be an optimal decision in my opinion.
I actually have a side-side project that's very similar (it involves terrain generation, exploration and hunting for creatures). I did prototypes in libgdx+kotlin, unity+c#, and electron+webgl+pixijs+typescript. They're all decent, but I'm probably going to explore some more options because game design problems are holding me back anyway so I can't start writing it properly yet.

when you are hungry you thing about food :^)