>2018
>Bluray is still a DRM-riddled shitshow on PC
Why? What's the point of making it so hard to play Blurays still if 4k Blurays are out plus streaming has almost killed physical media? The only real solutions are paid solutions like PowerDVD or LeawoPlayer which may or may not be a Chinese botnet. Even with the AACS patch to VLC I still have a lot of trouble, and newer Blurays? Good fucking luck. Sure a bunch of media players released patches for BD-J support a few months ago but that hasn't helped a whole lot in my experience. Menus and special features are still a mixed bag. The only 100% reliable way to play Blurays is MakeMKV but that's proprietary and forces you to enter the beta registration key every month.

Attached: 4kuhd.jpg (1200x800, 52K)

It exist solely to milk videophiles

Because movie companies like forcing DRM nonsense on their portable temporary license bagels.

Pirate the movies if you disagree with their business practices. I don't know what else to fucking tell you.

MakeMKV is still free, it remuxes the video in perfect quality and isn't a botnet. There's no shame in using it

Except it's not free, it's proprietary

>muh
you know you wouldn't have dvd access if it wasn't for free software don't you

>MakeMKV is still free
You mean gratis.

>successfully protect your product from thieves
>thieves are upset

all dose people
all dose chezburgrs

Blu-rays kind of made sense when internet speeds were slower. Now it's just dumb.

no u

>put restriction on your product
>pirates dont care, they just find a workaround
>honest buyers are fucked
>"why do people stop buying physical media"

> 2018
> optical disks

The sad truth is that if you want to play BR, and especially UHD BR, you're better off buying a bone s

>"why do people stop buying physical media"
Physical media being a hassle while everyone starts using digital distribution more and more, which is coincidentally more controllable and profitable, sure is an odd complaint for media companies to make.

Blu-ray is pretty much a disaster on pc. Prime example of what happens when the industry gets its way: drm-laden trash you keep having to update.

If you're still using physical media you shouldn't even be browsing Jow Forums because you're old and all you're gonna do is whine that everything isn't like it used to be in "your day".

Get with the times gramps.

Attached: 1520008703657.jpg (500x442, 51K)

>MKV

Enjoy your lack of hardware acceleration

Netflix "4k" looks worst than upscaled 720p video.

maybe your internet connection sucks

literally nothing wrong with physical media exempt the space requirement.

>Why? What's the point of making it so hard to play Blurays still if 4k Blurays are out plus streaming has almost killed physical media?
because blu-ray is a licensed technology and they want to make money off it. If it's dying, the bluray consortium ain't gonna fucking open it up and get rid of the DRM out of the goodness of their hearts, they'll just move on and stop developing it further

blu ray has already been cracked user

It's been trash since it's inception especially on pc

If you ask me BluRays should exist just so I could download remuxes, I could not give a shit about whether anybody actually sues them

They keep updating it with new AACS codes and software tricks. Newer blurays are significantly harder to watch on PC than older ones. Power Rangers for example doesn't work on LeawoPlayer and is even MakeMKV-proof die to the deliberately confusing way the scenes are set up on the disc. MakeMKV wanted to download like 3TB of data off the disc.

>muh streaming
Fun fact: Netflix only allows you to watch 1080p or 4k content on Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge or the UWP app. Chrome and Firefox only get 720p.
Blurays are still drastically better quality than any streaming solution.

Streaming doesn’t have losses audio.

Just torrents bluray rips fampai

I own a bluray writer in my rig and I buy japanes BDs of my animu. Pirates don't even know what's about the drm because they never even experience it. They download the rips so there's ZERO drm for them. People who buy the discs experience the drm only and there's literally no player on the market that is either free or works fine to watch a movie. The only option is to rip the disc and watch the ripped video.

Sony needs to get bankrupt immediately.

Use Edge just for Netflix, then.

Sony loves making garbage proprietary formats that no one buys. Ever since DAT failed due to easy recording which scared record labels, everything else has been DRM-riddled trash.
>Minidisc
>SACD
>UMD
>Bluray
And Bluray only "won" because Sony took a huge loss and put drives in the PS3. They can barely even bother supporting 4k Bluray despite being on the fucking consortium.

> thinking mkv is a video codec

Why do you think that? Is it so hard to read up on this?