Choose my next distro Jow Forums

choose my next distro Jow Forums

I've used arch linux for quite a long time and after trying antergos, I've decided that I want something else, preferably rolling or half-rolling

Attached: How-to-Activate-Wireless-on-Arch-Linux-2.jpg (300x300, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nixos.org
repo.voidlinux.eu/current/
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>half-rolling
Fedora. Package manager is slow AF.
>rolling
Void.

I will never understand why you autistic babbys go to such great lengths to avoid ubuntu which is an all around solid distro that all the real professionals use.

It's not the only fish in the sea, son.

>Fedora
I've been seriously considering fedora or mageia cauldron.
>Package manager is slow AF.
that sucks. is there any way to fix that?
>Void
how is the package availability?
>Ubuntu
I really dislike gnome(and unity) and kubuntu isn't exactly the best kde experience. Also, not rolling (I might be wrong)

Gentoo.

I moved from Arch to Gentoo. Couldn't be happier.

Attached: 1526799897351.jpg (540x393, 15K)

Be warned, once understanding what it is they're actually doing, you will never want to touch another OS the rest of your life.

Attached: GuixSD-V.png (159x141, 7K)

>Gentoo
I have a very shit processor and don't know how well I'd be with a source-based distro

You should try out NixOS user, not trying to goof on ya.

I've been using Arch for a really long time and I'm moving over to Nix. I think if you really understand the shortcomings of reverting back multiple packages correctly on a rolling release, you'll see the value of having a declarative package manager backed by version control.

nixos.org

I still have Arch machines, but I've found that Nix is actually useable as a daily driver with little effort, and their packages are very well maintained.

Also as an aside their culture hasn't been hit by major episodes of toxicity yet, they've been under the radar.

Attached: 1525401131134.gif (300x424, 2.56M)

Go on . . .

Its not rolling but you can do full upgrades whenever a new release comes out. The packages are still new enough unless for some reason you need something newer, you can easily compile from source. It just werks and user base is much larger.

>dedicated wholly to free software, gnu sponsored and fsf endorsed
>no terrible systemd or kernel bloob nonsense
>lisp (guile[scheme]) hackable on every level, entire os and all packages are just normal lisp declarations
>functional package management, roll anything back (including the entire os) to any previous [working] state, basically impossible to break beyond repair

NixOS is cool too if you find for some reason you like that better - But I see Guix/GuixSD as a necessary improvement in many important ways to the things the Nix team started.

while I find that a great idea, I want non-free packages for >muh gayming

Is GuixSD stable for daily use? I'm using NixOS but I'ld prefer using Scheme over Nix as configuration language. Also it seems more tidy i.e. everything is done through a single tool, and also the init system is written in the same language which makes hacking it easier. (NixOS in comparison has a number of distinct tools and uses infamous systemd.) Also is total freetardation an issue in drivers and media support?

>can it be fixed?
ikd desu. Maybe.
>void packages
It's got a lot of them - non multilib, multilib, and nonfree repos that you can easily add and remove. The default is non-multilib.

huh, interesting. but upon taking a look at their site, I noticed that their package search engine sucks ass. if it's in the github search then it's in the repo as a binary? sorry I'm dum

I've been using it as my main and only OS on anything I can install it for the last year and a half.
I'm sure there exist usecases where it falls flat, but I've yet to find any.

Cool. I'll give it a try in a virtual machine and probably install it when I find time.

Yeah, it does suck for now at least. Hopefully it'd change. I have not really found out what the package templates in the GitHub are - a quick look at some and they look like build scripts that include the source urls.

Here's a snippet from the repository's README:
"
This repository contains the XBPS source packages collection to build binary packages for the Void Linux distribution.

The included xbps-src script will fetch and compile the sources, and install its files into a fake destdir to generate XBPS binary packages that can be installed or queried through the xbps-install(1) and xbps-query(1) utilities, respectively."

- Void Linux
- A BSD
- Plan9
- macOS

Why you care about their online search engine? If you install it you can use the package manager.

taking a look at repo.voidlinux.eu/current/ and it seems to have pretty much everything I use. I think we might have a winner.
I wanted to check the available packages before downloading.

ackchualy, xbps is very fast and versatile, it's how void linux started.
btw... any news about the project leader who mysteriously got.... into the void ? where is this torero ?

we were talking about fedora's package manager.

It's fast alright. The leader is still MIA. I just read the news page now and then and I don't see any news about him yet.

>void
is a cucked meme nicetry though fgt

Stick with Arch, Honestly rather use something that is well maintained and supported rather than some obscure piece of siht.

gentufag detected

Here's my setup to those who're curious about Void. It werks.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-06-05_20-57-59.png (1600x900, 247K)

Wrong!
Archfag infact

after using slackware for years when i tried void it was instant love. they are very similar distros in their simplicity and BSDish style

just this issue with this spanish monkey who disappeared and took passwds and stuff with him. happened before with other distros. they will get by

Install Gentoo, unironically

it is done, frens :^)

Attached: IMG_20180606_011931.jpg (3984x2179, 1.06M)

I'm using Void as well and love it.. enough to let the brony cringe slide. As long as it keeps getting updates I will continue to use it.

Attached: b567fc2b13d2dcf395396878797e03159246fbe605bdd3e93c57edbad769de37.gif (232x158, 1.05M)

Ubuntu is shit, I come from the mandrake era and I can tell you ubuntu is a cancer. I wish mandrake continued as good as it was mandriva sucks too.

gecko linux with tumbleweed repos

Nice.

are you op, what distro

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Let me take advantage of this thread and ask, what is the best non Windows OS for gaming?

Slackware -current

>Autism
Void Linux (used it for 8 months)
>Libtard
Parabola (currently using it, it just werks without the botnet)
>200IQ
GuixSD (i will try it soon)

I run Gentoo on a Raspberry Pi.

I use Gentoo on a Pentium 4 machine.
The performance imorovement compiling gives you is especially noticeable on old hardware.

GuixSD is also Libtard-approved.

>Linux-libre
No thanks

Please... ;_;

Yeah, but Ubuntu can't dump me, so I don't see the problem in wifing her right away.