/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: perfect_square.png (1218x1248, 1.1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/articles/genderless-pronouns.html
youtube.com/watch?v=y98q4fzIaak
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vieta_jumping
download.fcitx-im.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First to remind you to use neutral pronouns:
stallman.org/articles/genderless-pronouns.html

please don't breed

Transmission-daemon 2.92 is in the official raspbian/debian repo, 2.94 is the current version. How do I update it (private tracker doesnt support .92)?

switch to sid

a = 2, b = 6
k = (4 + 36)/(1+12) = 40/13, not a perfect square.

k is not even a natural numver now you dumb fuck. Cant just plug in random numbers and see if it works, they have to solve the equation in the respective domain.

yeah, I'm on Kubuntu right now. How the fuck do I make a Win10 USB so I can get off this shit.

Install GuixSD

sudo apt install woeusb is the easiest and best program to use which I have used for the exact same purpose before in the past and would highly recommend.

youtube.com/watch?v=y98q4fzIaak

What does Jow Forums think of the code babes?

OP is a fucking faggot. Given k a cube of a natural number, k can't be a square of any fucking natural number. Besides, if you use any random number meeting the requirement, e.g., a=8, b=27, the result k is not even a natural number. So feel free to solve your retarded equation and consider killing yourself.

You either ignored the first line or were to dumb to know what it means. A, B and K have to be natural numbers.

he was clearly trying to prove that k is natural if a and b are natural, it is not, therefore k is not a perfect square.

That's not how these problems work.

The problem states that for when K, A and B are are natural numbers
K is a integer square of (a^2 + b^2) / (ab+1). If K isn't a natural number then ignore it is irrelevant.

>take discrete mathematics class
>teacher is shit and I blow it off constantly
>somehow pass with a C
>hardly know shit about discrete mathematics
In short I can't solve that problem.

this is the transmission plugin on freenas 11
I linked a directory from a samba share folder to a folder inside the jail, but it doesn't seem to work
any ideas?

Attached: 2018-06-06 00_39_13-Transmission Web Interface.png (357x99, 4K)

Is Xscreensaver bad?

I've been trying to get Power Manager + Light Locker on Xubuntu to shut off my screen on idle but all they do is blacken my screen (I can still see the backlights, it's not actually OFF).

All these googling introduced me to Xscreensaver which people have been shit talking for some reason. I decided to install it anyway and it works the way I expected Power Manager to work. It actually turns off my monitor.

But I'm inexperienced, why is Power Manager and Light Locker installed by default? Is Xscreensaver not good?

Thoughts on Deepin DE?
>inb4 Chinese spyware

Whatever happened to this chinese ubuntu kylin? Shit looked pretty dank

Attached: ukui-ubuntu-kylin-desktop.jpg (1440x900, 171K)

What did I do wrong? Says I my processor architecture is AMD64...so I downloaded that USB and made a live USB. But the shit doesn't run

Attached: ehhhh.png (922x485, 108K)

It's one of the hardest problem in a maths olympic competition....so you probably wouldn't anyway.

I guess it's not secure. But it will do for now, nobody else in the house knows Linux anyway.

Attached: Xscreen.png (954x388, 51K)

virtualbox cannot emulate an amd64 cpu, your host (real) cpu needs AMD-V/Intel VT-d supported and enabled in the bios for virtualbox to use to virtualize the cpu instead

ps. things like Qemu /can/ emulate a 64bit cpu, but remember cpu emulation is FAR slower than virtualization

Dang son how rude. Could have let me off easy. Is it this general problem, or just proving some equation is a perfect square?

ℕ^3 is the set of 3D vectors with natural components, not the set of cube numbers.

I think (a,b,k) in ℕ^3 is just a smartass way of saying that they're all in ℕ since they form a ℕ^3 vector.

this meme is so old and dead its not even shitposted on /sci/ anymore

>assume there is a solution n = (x^2+y^2)/(xy+1) so that n is a positive, non-square integer
>assume x and y are chosen so that x+y is minimal
>if x and y are not equal, let x be the larger one
>y is guaranteed to be minimal, so look at what happens when we change x
>set up a quadratic equation
>n = (x^2+y^2)/(xy+1)
>x^2+y^2-n(xy+1) = 0
>x^2-nyx+y^2-n = 0
>find roots of this quadratic equation
>we have set it up so that a root of this is known to be x
>recall high school math
>the other root q must have properties q=ny-x and q=(y^2-n)/x
>n,x, and y are integers, so by the first equality, q must be an integer
>we assume n is not a square, so n can not be 0, and y^2-n can not be 0, otherwise n=y^2 implying n is square
>so q is a nonzero integer, and we know it must be positive because n is positive (substitute q for x to see this)
>because we take y to be minimal, and x>y, and x>q, we get
>q+y < x+y
>but q,y is a solution as well, and it is smaller than our minimal solution
>therefore our original assumption that n is non-square is incorrect

Attached: sad-mathematician.jpg (978x1300, 82K)

it's not a vector space so you can't call them vectors
it's actually standard notation, though you are more likely to see something like
a,b,k all natural numbers
rather than
(a,b,k) in ℕ^3
especially in highly non-formal texts like computer science books

Google it. Problem 6, IMO 1988. Terry Tao did the problem at that time, when he was 13 ish. Think he only got one point though.

just post the link
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vieta_jumping

Better use a search engine which respects your privacy.

bro its ridiculously easy

Attached: IMG_20180606_130252.jpg (1448x1324, 783K)

bro its cartesian product not cubic

At my university (France), we use the two notations but we mainly use the (a,b,k) in ℕ^3 notation to feel smart.

So guys tell me if it's possible to install any distro on a surface pro 2?

Well fuck me

k ∈ N
wrong

Oh, that looks weird. We didn't learn that in our country, so it's my fault

question towards the gentoo users out there: Is it possible to run gentoo with binary programs only? I mean for settup up gentoo for the first time it would probably better i think. Later, when I have my setup complete I would start to compile all the things on my own. Is this possible?

What thin laptop is good investment to get if I want to run GNU/Linux

This is not normal.
Math, not even once.

What are some cool terminal commands?

Attached: 1528282429523.png (720x463, 67K)

>on Debian
>want to learn something
>check the Arch wiki
>run instructions the Debian way

>on Debian
>want something from the AUR
>check related PKGBUILD file
>run instructions the Debian way

Is this normal?

>on Debian
>check the Arch wiki
I admit, I've done that too.
I like Debian and I have no interest in running Arch, but those folks are really good at writing guides and documentation.

download.fcitx-im.org/ can I use wget to download all this?

NetworkManager vs. gtk-wicd

of these two, which is better and why

I experienced faster IP assignments with network manager switching from wicd

>Install GuixSD
Install NixOS

>it's not a vector space so you can't call them vectors

yes it is you dumb fuck. ℕ^3 is a vector space

is the AUR secure? I mean I read on the memewiki inatallgentoo that not all packages are, and is what is keeping me from installing Arch. I'm not retarded there has to be flaws on the ubuntu's repository but probably not as much

download an iso and dd to a usb?

They're both decent, but NetworkManager has worked more consistently for me.

>ℕ^3 is a vector space
It's really not. It doesn't even have additive inverses.

>GuixSD vs NixOS
What differences are there? Every reference I can find for one talks about the other too.

>It doesn't even have additive inverses.
It's the only missing property

just look out for things like rm -rf ~/*

Brainlet here, ℕ^3 is closed under linear combinations, so why wouldn't it be a vector space? Isn't that the only requirement?

Is lubuntu a good distro for beginners?

i once saw a script that fixed my 2 computer screens sides.
i have my second screen on the left and if i turn on the pc before turning on the monitor, linux will place the second monitor on my right side and i have to manualy switch it everytime...

>Isn't that the only requirement?
No. Consider 3x3 matrices under multiplication. That's closed under linear combinations, but it's a long way off being a vector space.

>Is lubuntu a good distro for beginners?
Sure.
It's not particularly pretty, but it "just works" and will run on anything more powerful than a toaster.

Line 1 -> line 2: no idea what you did there

Also, the last step you do is wrong because there needs to be a 2 in the mixing term to simplify like that.

(a-b)^2 = a^2 - 2ab +b^2

Do your homework yourself retard kid
Also r/fglt

So nobody here can solve it? /sci/ was right, CS (and Jow Forums) is full of brainlets. I mean, I'm a brainlet too, but I thought we had a few shitheads with more than 3 neurons around here.
Anyway, the only people who solve this on their own are
1. Prodigy kids who "just get it"
2. Mathfags who memorized a types of problem archetypes

Attached: brainlet_squad.jpg (1024x576, 109K)

a thousand* types

Am I supposed to be able to with just high school math?

Matrices aren't vectors though. How does it make sense to say that they can be closed under linear combinations? They aren't in a vector space to begin with

trying to format an usb, what file format should i use? i'm on manjaro linux, but i need it to be compatible with windows 10 for work

>Matrices aren't vectors though
>They aren't in a vector space to begin with
Sure they are. mxn matrices (over any field) under addition form a vector space. They have addition with inverses, scalar multiplication, commutativity, associativity, etc.

>How does it make sense to say that they can be closed under linear combinations?
Any linear combination of elements from the set will also be a member of the set. In the example I gave, if you multiply a bunch of 3x3 matrices together you'll get a 3x3 matrix.

Just use ntfs, it's surprisingly better supported on linux than fat. Works like a charm on any wangblows.
What kind of work requires windows 10 tho?

most non techy ppl dont take the time to learn linux, anything thats not WINDOWS or MAC is a big no no for them, and trying to talk to your bosses about switching to linux is even an greater challanger, imagine talking to a 50 year old dude who knows nothing about computer about this weird thing called linux that uses the terminal...people are dumb

Oh, I see, so the linearity of transformations applies to the transformations themselves as well as the vectors they transform? Or am I missing the point?

so i got the usb formated (ntfs) but its having troubles mounting on my laptop?!?!?
its manjaro linux too...i'm kinda lost :|
it reconizes the usb, but is just keeps spinning on what i assume is mounting...

>Oh, I see, so the linearity of transformations applies to the transformations themselves as well as the vectors they transform?
That's not what I meant.

"Vectors" (in an abstract sense) are just any members of a vector space. A vector space over some field is a (non-empty) set with:
a) A "nice" operation between it's members, called "vector addition".
b) A "nice" operation between it's members and the members of the field it's over, called "scaler multiplication".
c) Distributivity between a) and b).

Those conditions imply that every vector space is closed over all linear combinations, but just because some set is closed over all linear combinations doesn't make it a vector space.

It's a troll problem that's already been disproven here:

Look at the replies - the question requires k to be a natural number.

It's an IMO problem mate. It's where the big boys do math.
t. former IMO competitor

every time i press the X button on specific programs (anything in wine, games, etc) it always, always says "this window is busy, would you like to close it?" of course i fucking want to close it if i clicked close, who is this feature for? is there any way to turn it off? i dont know what to google but i couldnt find anything

typical dumbfuck manjaro retard.
FAT32 for best cross-OS compatibility
NTFS of maybe exFAT if you need large files fat32 doesn't allow. Pref. exFAT, NTFS is not optimal USB flash drives. The fuse-exfat driver is quite good and stable for years.

Pressing the X button usually just asks the program to terminate. If the program doesn't reply to it in a timely manner it means it's either busy, waiting for user input like if you want to save or discard your work or the program is frozen.

is there a way to instead force it to send a kill? all the times the program is "busy" with exception of prompts it was working just fine and i happened to be done with it. i have to open task manager and send kill to everything or it just keeps running forever now or until it finally lazily pops up the "window is busy" crap. if sending kill removes prompts i will just have to learn to live with that

create a short to xkill to somewhere and use that to close problematic windows?

The best game of all time desu. Vidya will never compete.

libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 but it is not going to be installed or
libgl1:i386 but it is not going to be installed

Holy shit this fucking ubunt is grinding my gears down right now. Same distro one on my thinkpad, one on my destkop. Get this shit on the desktop but the laptop works fine. Now I'm purging everything just to reinstall. Hopefully that will fix it.

i just found out this is bound to ctrl+alt+escape, thank you

try sudo apt-get upgrade

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
then try installing whatever you tried to install

>try sudo apt-get upgrade
I did that 3 hours ago of course lol, Trust me this thing is beyond fucked. It gets into these weird states somehow and just stays broken forever.

Anyway I appreciete the help but I tried all that stuff already. Its not going to be simple fix

>proprietary software
>systemd
Nixos is gay

"friendly gnu/linux thread"
LOOK AT THIS MANJARO RETARD
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

no bully or gtfo and go back to /b/ cunt

a number can be both a square and a cube though????
64 = 8^2 = 4^3

try to manually install one of the packages. If you run into a similar problem, try to install the package that is not installed that time. Repeat it until you reach the root of the problem, which is probably a totally missing package, something broken, conflicting or something with a missing dep.

is your point that not every set that is closed under linear combinations (and non empty) forms a vector space? i.e a set of 3x3 matrices? That seems to be what you're implying here and here , But then here you say that sets of matrices do form vector spaces

Yeah I'm thinking might be because I enabled the backports and couple other repos. Oh yeah forgot I installed nvidia driver right from the nvidia website. Didnt come in a deb package or anything. Maybe that wiped out some the packages that are supposed to be there.

So I have installed ubuntu on a usb with persistence. Now that I booted it up in live mode I wanted to check something from my computer's hdds. But they don't show for some reason. Even
sudo fdisk -l doesn't show them. The only thing I can see is the usb itself. Any ideas ?

What shows for lsblk

How to install Linux in Android???

Close your eyes and make a wish.

>is your point that not every set that is closed under linear combinations (and non empty) forms a vector space?
Yes.

>But then here you say that sets of matrices do form vector spaces
Under addition. A vector space is formed by the combination of elements and operations.
If you add matrices together then they form a vector space. If you pick some other operation (such as matrix multiplication) then they might not.

>comes to gnu/linux thread
>posts gnu
might as well have bsd in here. make your own thread

Attached: 889896756.gif (479x255, 2.88M)

what is the most common desktops (not distributions) used in universities, in offices, at home, etc.

is there a "Best" desktop?

i mean xfce vs kde vs gnome etc

my college just uses the dafault one that comes with ubuntu (yeah i know lol )
aint nobody got time to be installing custom DE's on 1000 computers