Things that should be open source but are not

>things that should be open source but are not

>Visual Basic 6
>Apple's Talligent
>OS/2
>Win 3.1/Dos 6.22 and older
>BeOS

Attached: 1521243680626.jpg (957x621, 90K)

Shut the fuck up you self entitled 14 yr old

DOS has its source code released

All hardware and software

Attached: __black_cerulean_and_kaban_kemono_friends_drawn_by_yutsu__1c78446ef3389198b4b41448cec9d4d8.jpg (1173x1431, 135K)

>things that should be open source but are not
your mom

Hello there! You seem to have used the term "open source".
The term "open source" was created by a group of people that did not want to be associated with the free software movement. When I say "free" software (which is one of the alternatives preferable to "open source"). It's not about price; in that case I would say "gratis", or "free as in free beer". It's about "freedom"! This is what the free software movement is fighting for.
So what is "free" software? Free software is any software that guarantees the user the four essential software freedoms:
> 0. Run the program as you wish.
> 1. Study the source code and change it so it does what you wish.
> 2. Redistribute exact copies of the program.
> 3. Distribute your modified version of the program.
Some people decided that they wanted to restrict the user; but being able to study and modify the "open source" code is not enough! This is directly hurting the cause of the free software movement because it takes away the sociological "freedom" aspect of free software and turns it into a technological one.
So for those reasons I ask that in the future you use the terms "free", "free/libre" or, if necessary "FLOSS" (short for "free/libre and open source"), though the latter should still be avoided.
--- COPYRIGHT NOTICE ---
This text is part of the public domain. It may be freely modified, distributed and otherwise used as the reader wishes.

Unironically this. Keeping shit proprietary just isn't sustainable in the long run.
Open hardware in particular would be especially important, not only free software.

why do we need dos source code if freedos is a perfectly fine replacement?

but i used her last night to create a new fork?

Thread

Lolis should be open source

Haiku is open source.
But yeah, VB should be opened up.

Unironically, WinXP.

>>BeOS
Literally Haiku, nignog

>free/libre
why can't we just have libre?
Libre Open Source Software

Attached: cca.png (200x200, 428)

I'm ok with nonfree nonlibre open source. For me it is about having the freedom to investigate EXACTLY what a program is doing

VB? Isn't Rosyln open source?

>Rosyln
Roslyn*

>Why can't we just have libre?
Because anglos cannot into languages that aren't English.
Well, I guess Los Abominacions Americanes might be able to understand the word.
>Libre Open Source
Free/libre already includes source openness, no need for the "Open Source" part. And in any case, mentioning source openness on its own is harmful to the cause of the movement for software freedom, as it implies that the problem we are facing is a technological one, instead of the sociological issue it actually is.

>LOSS

For software to truly be free, we need the right to create and sell proprietary software if we choose and the freedom to choose a license (especially the freedom to reject copyleft)

>Every single Borland tool from the 90s

Attached: VhlQK.gif (256x256, 80K)

t. I use those software but I want to be a Jow Forums meme man and I want everything open source
Kill yourself.

Attached: 76C9720255CC48F9AFF031BCECCDB68F.jpg (1095x662, 126K)

Its only really early versions with none of the tools they used to build it under a EULA

Haiku is not BeOS

i cannot actually think of anything. before i used to use foobar2000, but ive completely replaced that with audacious (with exception of VST support for midi files, shame). before that i used irfanview, which i replaced with jpegview. and its built up, now i run guhnoo/linux fulltime. though, however, not libre linux. i wish i could but there is a proprietary gpu blob that my machine needs or it all remains 1024x768. you know what i think anything hardware related for software should be foss, maybe that is what people mean by "open source hardware"

>t. I use those software but I want to be a Jow Forums meme man and I want everything open source
All of it is pretty much useless from a business perspective, so I don't see any point in companies holding on to if its ancient and they don't profit from it anymore.

Attached: 1516332305013.png (656x555, 178K)