Jow Forums, do you use ECC ram for your desktop?

Jow Forums, do you use ECC ram for your desktop?

Attached: ecc-vs-nonecc-768x554.png (768x554, 132K)

why would anyone do this?

stability I guess

It's way cheaper. I do.
I also never had a single BSOD

Is there really a point unless you are hosting something critical?

>its way cheaper
??
>never had a bsod
me neither because i use an actually stable os

I built an ECC desktop. It still BSODs from time to time (even one time corrupting the disk). And not once have I actually had an ECC error.

ECC being the pinnacle of stability is a bit of a myth IMO.

I don't live in Chernobyl or outer space so no.

if it's corrupting the disk is that the memories fault or some paging software?

does ECC really affect BSODs?

If your RAM is causing BSODs I would assume it would fail a memtest. And aren't most BSODs related to other things - drivers or other failing hardware?

How do you measure ECC errors?

Can you do this on a non-ECC desktop, to see if getting ECC hardware would be worth it at all?

Second hand ECC is cheaper.
I think so? Though says that he still has them.

second hand non ecc is even cheaper though

At home no, at work yes.

No. But I heard its worthy. Can I get 32 GB ECC cheaper than regular RAM for my 1700 on a B350M-A?

My server does. Server is running a Haswell tier Pentium dual core. I got my hands on a SuperMicro ECC capable server motherboard so I sprung for an 8GB kit of ECC RAM because fuck it why not?

Pic related. It's been on for like 4 months now. The GT710 is because the server also acts as my streaming PC for my living room.

Attached: Server-Guts-GT710-2.jpg (4628x3455, 2.93M)

Neat

no. ECC RAM is usually more expensive. Also ECC compatibility relies on both the CPU and motherboard accepting it. Ryzen can technically work with ECC, but it doesn't properly work. It will correct 1 bit errors, but if the PC experiences a 2 bit error, the PC is supposed to log the error, and shutdown to prevent data corruption. Ryzen doesn't do this.

The naming of this shit baffles me.
>error correction errors

what? ECC stands for Error Correction Codes

Yeah only on my workstations doe.

Attached: file.png (842x872, 58K)

The names of all the terms, not "ECC" itself. i.g. >ECC errors

Why tf would i run ecc in my gaming or work pc?

>buying at a ratio of 1GB = 4$
>in fucking 2018
life is good

I don't see any difference.

Attached: maxresdefault_0.jpg (1533x961, 131K)

Why the GT710? And what resolutions does it stream?

Wait, ECC computers turn themselves off?

It streams mostly 1080p content (99% of my movie collection is Blu-ray that I rip and encode myself). Also 480p for regular DVDs and Anime series.

Although the GT710 is capable of 4K @ 60HZ if need be over HDMI. I got the GT710 for $22 brand new.

It's because he forgot the chip that finds errors.
He also forgot the buffer on a chip that is usually found on ECC/registered. I think it was hard to find only ECC ram that wasn't also buffered.

if the ECC is doing it's job yes. 1-bit errors can be corrected. The PC will properly log the 1-bit error, correct it, and keep going. However it is impossible to recover from a 2-bit error and if the PC keeps running even after experiencing a 2-bit error, data corruption can occur. So the PC is supposed to log the error, and shutdown.

They do make ECC non buffered memory, but iut's a pain in the dick to find.

I can only assume some buggy kernel code perhaps coupled with randomness caused the BSOD. And when you have one, its really pot luck whether your filesystem ends up in a good state or not.

Usually they are reported in the event log or in the BIOS.

ECC is only really useful for ensuring long-running tasks haven't had their data corrupted. It doesn't save you from buggy code, power failures, or random disasters. You should always be backing up your data and run your stuff off a UPS if your *really* concerned about not losing data.

they look the same to me

I once got fired for buying ECC ram for the servers.
The bloke must've been a g-tard and said I was wasting company money.

Ive always wondered what the difference was when buying second hand ram...

Yes, but only because I found 16 8GB sticks of it for $150. That's just $1.17 per gigabyte.
You get it for much cheaper and any reputable seller will exchange it if it's DOA.

Literally the same thing I did except mines a Haswell Xeon and I’m running proxmox, with an AMD card of around the same performance passed through to a Windows VM for the same purpose

Yes, because my computer came with it.

ECC errors are extremely unlikely to occur in everyday usage. And if they happen they have to jump through several loops in modern system before they manage to crash the computer.

It's only really useful in extreme server cases when you don't want your bits getting flipped by cosmic rays affecting the operations.

Attached: 1419190818083.gif (640x360, 319K)

So then how do I reduce BSODs on a Windows PC?

Install gentoo

>da evul cosmic rays
round earther bullshit

ECC is only useful for shiton load of data that you need it to be accurate. They are slow af.

Same, I run Windows 10.

Stop using old second hand RAM from sketchy sellers? If you're getting a BSOD it is for a reason and you should just read it because something of yours is fucked up.

one is slower and costs a lot more

one corrupts your data and costs a little less

>something of yours is fucked up.
Prolly your OS.

My two Ryzen Systems use ECC because they can.

cosmic rays can hit the flat earth, larper

Definitely not, I debated back and forth over whether or not it would be worth it for my NAS server but quickly realized it was totally unnecessary for my very pedestrian sever needs

>Wait, ECC computers turn themselves off?
Non ECC computers turn off as well (bsod), but even from 1bit errors

This doesn't make sense. What the fuck kind of mickey mouse servers even have non-ecc compatibility.

nope. companies dump huge amount of ecc ram. since most companies don't buy second hand stuff, they end up being very cheap.

beaut

Yes because rowhammer.

Where to buy used ecc

because motherboards that supports ECC are expensive af
and why should i use some second-hand ram that has experienced hing intensity usage?

Fucking kids on this board I swear.

Yes, I use ECC, for servers. Anything where uptime and correctness is absolutely key should get reliable hardware, and non-ECC memory has no reliability guarantee. What does this mean? In non-ECC memory, data corruption is invisible. You might never know a random bit got flipped. If it happened in a database transaction you might just have updated someone's bank account to have 1025 dollars instead of 1. Data errors don't always crash the system, actually usually they just lead to silent corruption. Worse than the above "cosmic ray" scenario is a stuck bit or intermittent bit, where a module has a hard fault. With ECC you'll know about it right away. With non-ECC you might just crash every few days, but in the meantime everything going through that bit got corrupted. ECC is also guaranteed to detect two bit errors, and CAN detect higher bit errors but isn't guaranteed to do so.

If you're using raid 1/10, a high reliability filesystem like ZFS/btrfs/HAMMER, then you should really be using ECC otherwise you're missing a lot of the benefits of your setup. If you're operating important databases processing customer records then you should be using ECC so you have a measurement of correctness.

If you're just shitposting on some gayman garbage then please just buy regular RAM.