Are professional calibrators the biggest frauds in the world of technology?

Are professional calibrators the biggest frauds in the world of technology?
I just came from my friend's house, he has a brand new 4K tv which was calibrated by a professional.
Shit looks the same as my also new TV, which I calibrated myself using just internet suggestions
(movie preset, some options turned off) and the rest of sliders by using screen test pictures.
The only think I didn't touch was white balance because for that you need professional equipement.
This shit just looks the same, he spent well over 300 dollars on it xDDDDDDDDDDDD

Attached: video-calibration-1-616w.jpg (615x376, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hdtvpolska.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/r2_6.jpg
hdtvpolska.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/c2_5.jpg
hdtvpolska.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/bf2_4.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you want the absolute best possible quality, then that's what you do man

>The only think I didn't touch was white balance because for that you need professional equipement.

What?

Just set it to the color temperature of the ambient lighting.

They're not frauds. People are just dumb enough to overpay them. A fool and his money are soon parted.

What is a color? how do you know that you see them in the same way that other people does? why does it fucking matter? as long as it looks good to you who cares.

spotted the colorblind untermensch

How would I know? how would you know? what is red? tell me using words.

If you have the tools, sure it's easy to do it yourself.

>tell me using words.
The color of your blood or rose is considered red. However you perceive it is irrelevant, as long as we both agree it's "red". Now fuck off, this is a 18+ site.

>tools

Lol, I did it only using my brain, my eyes, some knowledge and basic test screens that you can find on youtube videos, you can also play them on your bluray player, whatever...

Every monitor is different

Good luck getting matched colors on multiple displays by eye.

On a single display you're fine because you have no reference to compare it to directly and your eyes adjust to the different colors fairly easily.

BUT, if you have a professionally calibrated display next to an uncalibrated, or calibrated by eye display, you'll easily see the differences.

Now what really fucks people up is when they realize they prefer more vibrant unrealistic colors over a natural "true to life" calibration.

>by eye.
I said I did it using test screen patterns. Not merely looking at pictures and trying to make them look right.

test screen patterns is by eye

unless you're measuring the white point, and using a colorimeter or something, it's simply not going to be very accurate.

Oh so you are one of the pro calibtarts?

Bull fucking shit. White point literally changes 2-5% of overall picture. The rest lies solely in basic settings.

lol, like I said, if you're using a single display, enjoy your inaccurate colors cuck. You'll never know any better.

If you're going to have multiple displays near each other, or side by side, you'll want them calibrated, this is especially true for video walls where you're playing videos or high res pictures across several displays, if your colors are shifting between the panels it looks like fucking garbage, and looks like it was installed by an amateur (because it probably was)

I have two separate displays from the same manufacturer in front of me right now, and there's exactly zero difference in color.

Studio picture: hdtvpolska.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/r2_6.jpg

Pro calibration: hdtvpolska.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/c2_5.jpg

Amateur calibration: hdtvpolska.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/bf2_4.jpg

Get fucked.

Not just using your perfectly calibrated eyeballs to set colors and back light to your preference
>ISHYGDDT

Attached: unnamed.png (960x603, 33K)

>exactly zero difference in color
panel type and manufacturer?

Nicer panels are factory calibrated to be fairly good, though even these can be made better with your own calibration assuming you have the equipment.

ASUS IPS

Without knowing anything about how that's being displayed, the image captured, etc. It's worthless.

Thanks for the (you) though.

Would depend on the specific panel, I had two 25" asus 1440p IPS panels that were fairly decently calibrated from the factory, though they were easily a few % off of each other for color values, it wasn't jarring or super obvious unless you were looking for it.

Supposedly by a pro calibrator believe it or not. Either way, you can easily calibrate your monitor or TV using test patterns up to 95% of what a pro calibration will give you. With TVs it's even easier I'd say.

heh heh these are the same people who have their ribbon speakers perfectly aligned with their lines of coke.

>Supposedly by a pro calibrator believe it or not
I don't doubt that, I just can't give an opinion without knowing what they're using to display the image, what type of tools they're using to calibrate, and how they're capturing the image to compare, is the ambient lighting identical? Etc.

Without full information it's just useless pictures.

>Shit looks the same as my also new TV
I bet you didn't do a side by side comparison.

>hurr it looks like i remember my TV looking

If it takes a side to side comparison to notice some trivial differences in colour, then it's not going to be worth $300 just for a TV playing a few movies.

That's up to you to decide user.

If you work with colors regularly for work, and are regularly using properly calibrated displays, you'd be retarded if you didn't notice the difference on your TV.

Ever go to a sports bar with 30 TVs and they're all different panels from different manufacturers?

Even when they're playing the same content, you can generally see color differences between the panels, during NFL games, the field color or jersey colors will shift depending what TV screen you're looking at.

Higher end sports bars will have identical monitors around the place, and generally they'll be factory calibrated and all be fairly close to each other.

>If you work with colors regularly for work, and are regularly using properly calibrated displays

But really though, that's not the norm is it? OP's friend just blew $300 on snake oil that isn't going to make a difference to him in any meaningful way.

Depends how sensitive he is to color accuracy.

If his computer monitor is properly calibrated he may simply be used to it.

Maybe he's just an idiot wasting money.

Doesn't really matter to me. I'm just saying there ARE reasons you'd want to get a display professionally calibrated, though if you need to calibrate several displays, you're probably better off buying a colorimeter and learning to do it yourself.

>if its not so bad that you can starkly remember the difference, then its not worth having done professionally

I can calibrate a tv to look true to life with "internet suggestions" and whatnot. However, I'm colorblind as shit. You might want to get your eyes checked. Actual calibrations require rather expensive software and sensors. It's also not as simple as just turning down the saturation, or whatever, seeing as you need to break in the display by running pixel cycles. It's a shorter break in period for Q/LEDs, longer for OLEDs.
>LEDs don't age
yes of course the one thing we've ever invented that doesn't age while running over a hundred cycles a second happens to be your tv sure showed me

This thread reminded me that it's been a while since I last calibrated my monitor.