What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: 3357899754311.jpg (640x480, 32K)

too mach money

$1000 atom laptop

small screens and cramped keyboard, price to performance ratio
even today it's hardly a viable form factor even with gpd pocket

those machines will always have my respect tho, for pushing towards boundaries

Attached: carlton.jpg (300x375, 16K)

weird creen resolution, aspect ratio, and an OS that didn't know how to adjust itself to it

Otherwise a nice machine for its time

I've had one. Nice gadget, but wasted money if you aren't interested in a high-tech toy. Too small to be convenient with any available OS on board, too large to be mobile.

Too expensive, too slow, reflective screen.

Intel Atom
>Entire N line DOA, you can barely browse Jow Forums with these today
>The current gen is STILL fucking Cherry Trail
Can't wait for Qualcomm honestly it doesn't matter how bad it is it can't be worse than the Atom line

Very expensive for the low performance

They're not especially good at anything. There was a modernised Psion that got released earlier this year, and it seems to have stagnated already.

I have this one and the keyboard is surprisingly easy to type in

Attached: Sonyvaiosub1.jpg (800x699, 44K)

Propriety connector for have drive, making upgrades impossible.

Answer looking for a question

even in its time it was fairly useless

the baytrail one are pretty good they just take foreever to install ubuntu

I've always wanted one of these fucking things.

If you look at a lot of the marketing behind these they pitched it as a fashion/lifestyle computer, that you'd take with you bc it was:
A) small
B) good looking

My hypothesis is that it failed for 2 reasons:

Firstly that the fundamental assumption that making a laptop sufficiently small will make it closer to a phone in its use scenarios. I don't believe this to be the case, look at the MacBook air. For years Apple sold an 11" (which didn't quite fit in ur back pokiest but it was still very small and light), but EVERYONE bought the 13". The UX of a laptop just fundamentally dosnt lend itself to this use case of an ultra mobile, cosmopolitan device. Which brings us to number 2...

The year after it came out the iPad came out, and brought with it a wave of other tablets. These were devices that fit the bill for the aforementioned use case to a tee.

Sadly, its another relic of the strange mid 00s Sony that brought us so many beautiful, and unique but ultimately misguided products.

Attached: vaiop.jpg (560x300, 45K)

My dad was one of the few people who actually bought and used one of these things for it's intended purpose.

I have a... HP 95LX...

Wangblows instead of Gnu and Penguin or THAT SMUG MOTHERFUCKING FISH, LOOK AT THAT SMUG MOTHERFUCKER

laptop cutoff is 13"

>We will never go back to mid 200Xs peak gadget
hold me, dudes

Shitty spot between smartphones and small laptops.

I dunno, you tell me.
Just look at that shit. What possible use case scenario could there be for such a tiny computer?

>tfw you didn't own one when they were useful.
I suppose I could get one now, but it would just be a toy.

Attached: 06-toshiba-libretto-50ct.jpg (1170x780, 56K)

Not enough thinn models.

Attached: twingoooooo.jpg (2000x3000, 1.04M)

>shit Intel Atom cpu
>even shittier GMA500 gpu
that's what went wrong (with Vaio P)

All of the technical answers are bullshit. Sony will no longer use it believes there is no longer a future for desktop PC's, at least not in the home anyway. They moved a substantial amount of resources into research and development of several secret projects and into the phone and tablet business. The stated aim is to reorganise their business looking toward the next 25 years. In other words, they see this as the end of a technological era and the beginning of a new one. There was very little wrong with their laptops, there just isnt a market for them anymore

what kind of laptop is this

Atom got discontinued and replaced with Celeron N.
N3450 is basically an upgraded x8350. N4200 is likely a bit better than the x8700. They cost way more though.

It's a "Shut the fuck you and buy a Thinkpad"

thanks mr. "fuck you nigger faggot i have 2 stinkpads already and find this vaio comfy"

Attached: SdLBZXQP6f-4.png (300x250, 31K)

It was too expensive and nobody needed it. They had huge ads all over the rich people upper east side in NYC when they just came out, before an Apple store existed.

Anyone else got the Gemini PDA? I got mine and its breddy gud. Needs work on the Linux side though.

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9NLzMvNzY1NDM1L29yaWdpbmFsL2dlbWluaS1wZGEtMDAyLmpwZw==.jpg (1500x938, 692K)

Must be nice for once to appreciate your presidential hands

That's not true at all, the hard drive uses a standard ZIF connector which is not proprietary, it's the same connector that used to be used on iPods with 1.8" hard drives. I replaced the HDD in my P with an SSD.

Yes, and agreed. I got Debian on it recently. It's a bit of a mess, but I'm excited for the future.

Its a Vaio X505.

>MtK SoC
D r o p p e d

not to defend it, but why do you dislike mediatek?

Not him, but they do not comply with the GPL, they are terrible at releasing kernel sources.

1. It's useless
2. Retro gaming doesn't count.

UMPC segment died got replaced by tablets/hybrids

This Vaio in particular? A lot.
- 2GB RAM made it ineligible for Windows XP ULCPC and Windows 7 wasn't out yet, so Sony had to put Vista on it.
- The cheaper model had a 1.33 GHz Atom and an excruciatingly slow 1.8" hard drive - with Vista it was pretty much unusable.
- The high-end model was better since it had a SSD (albeit not a fast one) and a 2 GHz CPU, but was obscenely expensive and tended to throttle under full load.
- Neither model had good battery life, and what good is an UMPC when it gets only 2-4 hours of battery runtime?

The 2nd generation fixed a lot of the issues, but I guess it was already late by then.

It' like the Libretto, shot their load too early

Attached: Toshiba_Libretto_20 (0070_01_l).jpg (800x800, 74K)