/dpt/ — Daily Programming Thread

Previous: What are you working on, Jow Forums?
>Have you started learning Haskell yet?

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-04-08-21h39m18s487.png (1512x1072, 1.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

octalpus.org
github.com/mfyuce/GitTorrent
doc.qt.io/qt-5/windows-deployment.html
stackoverflow.com/questions/162480/const-int-vs-int-const-as-function-parameter-in-c-and-c
miscbeef.com/birdcrab/
miscbeef.com/birdcrab/quick
miscbeef.com/birdcrab/interface
miscbeef.com/birdcrab/pieces
miscbeef.com/birdcrab/ZdON4b
miscbeef.com/birdcrab/wL1Pb2
github.com/taysand/dungeon-crawler/blob/master/Assets/Scripts/Player.cs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nothing
No

keep up the good work babe (=

I already started 5 years ago

Idk anything about programming. But should I first learn haskell as my first programming language

Pls give me advice

Absolutely not
Haskell is a beautiful language but it's both very hard to learn and not very useful iat the moment

Yes I started a couple of times, but for sadly I don't need it for work, all private jobs I could run with it I can also do with Python. Just for aesthetics sake, I'd rather learn Idris, as I'm more interested in type theory (in the formal logic sense) than in programming.

You should learn Agda then, Idris is meant for programming

D is the future of systems programming. It looks like Go will be in second place. I hope the fans of both languages can get along.

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f71696974612d696d6167652d73746f72652e73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f302f3737373733 (399x294, 42K)

Yes, but beware that the cabal/stack/haskell-platform situation is a giant fiery poop monster
you will soon be battling with it, instead of just learning haskell
and then you will give up and wait for them to get their shit together
then many years will go by, and it will still be grotesque and hideous
then somehow you'll even start considering F# because you really want some good competent FP and you'll say to yourself, "how can things have come to this"
"why, cabal/stack, why are you so retarded"

Well yes I know that Agda also has a much larger math library, but the thing is I think such languages (including Coq, say) aren't really well developed and never will be if only academics proper use them. With Idris I saw a chance of it at least over the years becoming Haskell size.

Cabal hell is not a thing anymore, now we have sandboxes and new-build, and stack is essential

*NOT essential

your PNG is now compressed

Attached: 1528326039100(1).png (1512x1072, 392K)

The space of search results and tutorials and blogs and so on are completely at odds with eachother in how a newcomer should proceed.

Not to mention cabal is still a fucking disaster, even with sandboxes. And also, many others currently would argue that stack is still the way to go.
If you can't admit it's a mess then I don't know what to tell you.
D suffered from similar issues with their "competing standard libraries", but even that wasn't as bad as the haskell situation.

how do you deploy a C program for windows?
why do I need a installer?

install gentoo

install lubuntu

How the fuck do you manage packages in C++?
I want to use Qt 5.11. How can I don't want users to manually download Qt 5.11. And I don't want any other Qt version other than Qt 5.11.

Hi guys, I'm thinking of starting a business / project, would anyone interested in it please fill out a quick survey / needs analysis?
octalpus.org

Concept is a cozy place for computer-people. Focus is on creating a good thing ~ caring what you do, not simply shitting more shit on the pile. No bullshit, no drama, no politics, etc. It would be the ultimate cozy/chill programming place, where you could go, do what you love without the shit ~ of work, of daily life, of external factors. Everything would be focused on the highest cozy quality/caring ~ physical construction, service, atmosphere, ... . A place to chill and program, discover your own enlightenment, and/or also join in some events ~ community projects for fun or resume padding, some programming jams / CTFs, maybe some talks or classes, and other related things.

Thanks.

stop

no thanks faggot

Attached: code_with_kloss.jpg (601x601, 49K)

why the homophobia?

Attached: 122.png (300x100, 53K)

Really makes you think. Who is that onions anyways?

Attached: 1527225121162.jpg (1920x1080, 127K)

That's Hiroyuki. He owns Jow Forums.

Isn't that the creator of sepples?

should i accept offer for software engineering or go self taught route? 20y old now and the degree is 4 years

Hey, could I get some help with this?
Why is it that both x1 and x2 always come out as negative?

Attached: mem.png (358x552, 13K)

Ah, i was translating to post it here but forgot the last bit

Attached: mem2.png (299x542, 11K)

You know what i learned from using vim?

The home and end keys are extremely useful

I haven't done any graphics programming yet. But did Apple shoot itself on the foot again? Why did they lose support for OpenGL and OpenCL?
Does Vulkan work?
Gtk is rendered by Cairo, will it work? Qt hasn't even got vulkan support yet. wtf are they thinking?

Not that I give a shit though.

Attached: 1527466935951.jpg (555x547, 54K)

Now there's MoltenVK which is a Vulkan implementation on top of Metal.

Decentralized Github NOW github.com/mfyuce/GitTorrent

Attached: bugfeature.jpg (750x750, 102K)

Where is the value of root set?
I refer to the line
if root < 0 then

Java is most comfy language

this unironically!!

Reposting from previous:
I'm making a game in C and just integrated basic lua scripting.
For now i just have wrappers for update and get position. I probably dont mind 1000+ lines of wrappers but is there some better way? Also should i look into userdata shit? Currently i just have a base entity lua class which i instantiate and write entity index to it. This class has method "getposition" which calls registered C function which returns position vector of needed entity. Can i somehow simplify this?

Attached: 0002.png (1360x966, 1.34M)

Sorry, I was translating and had some issues, lemme repost.

I don't know why, but x1 and x2 always come out as negative, any help?

Attached: mem.png (345x537, 12K)

Is GraalVM usable? Can I use Java-GTK with GraalVM? Does it work on LInux? Will I get sued into oblivion by Oracle for using it?

Attached: mem.png (201x96, 3K)

anyone?

this risks sounding retarded but here i go. i've been trying to store 4 different strings in a 2D array in C. yet when i try to print string[0], nothing shows up. the rest are all there. why?

you're missing a parenthese on the x1 and x2 assignments

forget this, im retarded

Nobody is going to be able to answer that without seeing your code.

Just distribute the exe + dlls + resources, the installer is optional.

doc.qt.io/qt-5/windows-deployment.html

what's the difference between
const int *ptr1;
int const *ptr2;

well nevermind, i took out another array when trying to simplify it for posting here and now it works for some reason i don't really understand

Go through the broken code with a debugger?

sounds like an idea. i wish GDB was more usable.

IIRC "const char*" means the pointer can be modified, but what it points to cannot and "char* const" means that you can modify what it points to but you can't modify the pointer itself.

stackoverflow.com/questions/162480/const-int-vs-int-const-as-function-parameter-in-c-and-c

Wrong, they both mean the same thing. The difference is between
const int *ptr
int * const ptr

One is a constant pointer to an integer, which value can change, the other is a pointer to a constant integer.

I don't give a fuck about windows

>should I learn haskell
LMAO

Attached: trashkell_on_suicide_watch.png (580x1500, 448K)

D is dead.

1 like for you my helpful friends

Attached: d lang.png (1280x720, 909K)

>One is a constant pointer to an integer, which value can change, the other is a pointer to a constant integer.
I hope you didn't mix up the order because I'm already over my head

Tile collision with slopes done.

I have a question about gravity. It's not quite to my liking.

It floats too long when the y velocity is 0, and the jump itself is a bit too fast to reach 0, if that makes sense.

It probably comes down to the physics values. This is the code I am using to move:

int vel = ceil( ent->y_vel );
PHY_MoveY ( ent, vel );

if ( ent==player && ent->status.jumping && jump_held )
ent->y_vel += grav_val_low * timestep;
else
ent->y_vel += grav_val_nrm * timestep;

timestep is 0.016667
grav_val_low is 3.5
grav_val_nrm is 8
and when an entity jumps, the y_vel is set to 3

It's probably some tinkering I need to do on my end. Games I liked the platforming of are Mega Man, Kero Blaster, Super Mario Bros 3, Cave Story, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, etc. What do you think the values of those are?

Attached: 2018-06-06 19-04-04.webm (640x480, 636K)

So what happened to Rust?

>392 KB
>gray background
>compressed

/me garbage collects the meme languages
oops haha bye :)

>So what happened to Rust?
Nothing. People are sill using it, and it's starting to get a pretty neat collection of libraries.

>People are sill using it
>still
You mean someone started to use it?
For what?

curses foiled again

C was a mistake
ML was robbed
only now we are coming to terms with the hideous error

it didn't have to be like this

Platformers cheat when it comes to jumping physics. They don't use something real like acceleration from gravity per second per second + air resistance they just make up some polynomial and tweak the terms until they like it.

The guy who did super meat boy, widely considered to have some of the best platforming physics of any game, talked about this handmadehero con. I can't be bothered to look it up for you but it should be easy to find. The talk isn't necessarily on that topic, he just talks about a bunch of shit.

>they just make up some polynomial and tweak the terms until they like it.
They cheat FAR harder than that.

Here is super mario bros. was a bitch to download from photobucket, they've upped their faggotry as they've become increasingly irrelevant over the years.

Attached: smb_playerphysics.png (789x6259, 737K)

Online strategy board game, titled Bird Crab. The rules are done, the site is pretty much done.

miscbeef.com/birdcrab/
miscbeef.com/birdcrab/quick
miscbeef.com/birdcrab/interface
miscbeef.com/birdcrab/pieces

If anyone's interested in trying it out, feel free to join miscbeef.com/birdcrab/ZdON4b

Attached: birdcrab interaction.png (990x1230, 597K)

Neither is the future of anything.
Do you really fucking think a GCd language even fucking qualifies as a systems language?
Fuck off delusional retard.

You mean the 'A', 'I', '$', '^', and '0' keys are useful. Right? Right???

here

Thanks for trying out my game anons, you are the first people who I don't know IRL to play it.

miscbeef.com/birdcrab/wL1Pb2

VMWare, Google, Dropbox, Mozilla etc. Why'd you ask?

github.com/taysand/dungeon-crawler/blob/master/Assets/Scripts/Player.cs
>female "programmers"

Attached: VideoGameSprites.jpg (1200x630, 94K)

>cs
Brainlet indicator

What are you programming in C++17 right now?

Attached: 1527725342600.png (791x1168, 370K)

nothing

a website API

HELP
Somehow I was chosen for Python interview, company is renown here. Yet there's a trouble -- in spite of having C++ background I have never written anything in Python besides four lines with regex. How fucked up I am? Should I just fast-read Lutz or whatever good book exists?

Attached: 15283246800650.jpg (600x432, 31K)

I am making a site to share videos (similar to YT), But I don't want to store the files that the users upload. Is there a good way to do this other than encrypting each file? I'm scared of being v& if a user uploads pizza onto my services

Do all the hackerrank python exercises.

first, encrypting something still means you have to store it on a physical hard drive.

second, there have been many attempts at p2p video sites, but none of them have stuck because people don't like sharing their connection with no added benefit.

i don't think you will get vanned if you comply with authorities and help van the pizzaposters.

the board feels really small and crowded. not sure what the dice on the board mean. idk about attacking after every step. might be better if pieces get stopped and attack at the end.

D has a nogc betterC subset though

Thanks for the feedback, are you the user who just played the 20 move game with me?

The dice don't mean anything, it's just a way to keep track of where a location is (AB5 for instance). I will make an option with a bigger board (another ring around the hexagon). I also have an option to end games faster with a rule Tech Fall 5 where if one player is ahead of another by 5, the game ends.

Combat waiting til the end might get too cluttered, but I am still trying to decide how long the animation should take (right now it's 1 second per action per priority with a max of 5 seconds I think).

So does C++

Yeah but it doesn't have package management like D

I'll package manage your D in a sec

yeah, is there a way to end your turn?

also might be better to do a proper mouseover rather than that tiny scrollbar at the bottom. I didn't see it at first and kept flipping back and forth between the manual and the game

i'm not sure you could manage my package

encrypted pizza is not illegal
social interactions with the authorities scares me. I'd rather not have to deal with them at all

Start with C. It's best to learn in lower level languages

Attached: 1503781260947.jpg (610x5332, 1.56M)

Thank you, seems good enough. What's about syntax? Should I simply skim through?

Attached: IMG_20180603_130936.jpg (576x679, 61K)

black.d

investigators are nice if you don't act like an asshole. also they'd probably like you helping to van pizzaposting fags.