Today i decided to convert completely to linux

today i decided to convert completely to linux,

which linux distribution should i install ? that is most stable (have mediocre linux knowledge )

Attached: pepe.jpg (718x800, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Linux From Scratch

install gentoo

Fedora or Debian.

There are the only actual responses you'll get.

ubuntu or any of its flavors

Kubuntu 18.04
They updated their KDE version and it's actually working as intended on the 18.04 release.

Arch and suse basically used to be the only place where you could get a working KDE desktop but now ubuntu has it.

If you care about having features you're used to and then some from windows, give it a shot.

Attached: 1527887470932.jpg (1683x1080, 462K)

Debian. Always Debian. Never stray to anything else unless it's for server purposes.

Ubuntu 17.10 or 18.04

ubuntu. If you want you can install through the minimal iso, select your DE during the install, or just pick the ubuntu flavour of your DE of choice, eg

kubuntu for a pretty desktop out of the box, not too customizable and not so lightweight
xfce for a not so pretty but highly customizable and lightweight
lubuntu, same as xfce but uglier, less customizable but even more lightweight
ubuntu default desktop (gnome) for reasonably pretty but heaviest one on the resources.

apart from installation and maintanance, all distros are literally the same, ricing is the same on all of them, ubuntu can look just like a riced gentoo or arch, and gentoo and arch can look just like a default ubuntu, so thinking too hard on this matter is waste of time

my initial choices were debian,ubuntu but recently manjaro

heard debian is most stable
ubuntu is for noobs
and don't know anything about manjaro

i am going to use it mainly for dev i will give it a shot in Vmware

Debian, Ubuntu or Mint, browse about which one, and choose between those. Also, you probably will have to choose for a desktop environment, go for KDE.

thanks good info actually

>convert completely to linux

This will end badly. Dual boot and get used to using it first.

this, Mint/Debian + Windows 8.1 is the master race

Pick your flavour
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html

Attached: Screenshot-2018-5-20 List of Free GNU Linux Distributions - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation(1 (1241x985, 106K)

i have some knowledge about linux and its commands from pwd to suid and to bash scripting with functions

and i want to force myself using linux leaving me no choice, but seems ubuntu/debian are the most stabe

yeah just use ubuntu
having most google hits for common problems adress the distro you are using specifically really helps when learning lenux

Does not Mint have secrity issues?

Slackware. Easy to set up and rock solid from the start.

>inb4 no package manager
Well there's slackpkg, it doesn't handle dependencies automatically but that's one reason why slackware is so stable; it doesn't attempt to do much for you. For more convenient package management there's sbotool.

>echo other anons

Ubuntu, non-meme and stable disrto.

can i go for kubuntu ?

And then you should stray to Debian.

Parabola. Its Arch but with all free software. If you are less advanced then go for Debian maybe? Or plain Arch.

i'll chose between kubuntu or debian seems the most appropriate for me and the most chosen one in this thread

kubuntu is the same software base as ubuntu.
Just skinned different.

It won't be a bit different other than how you want your desktop environment out of the box.

>the state of Jow Forums

just downloaded kubuntu thanks user and other for legit advices

OpenPEPE tumbleweed

Honestly I don't know much about that, that's why I said to browse about each one

>most stable
Debian

Go for Debian, Ubuntu is casual tier, you can even go for Debian sid if you want, it's not that hard to configure.

Xebian, basically Debian Sid + Xfce from the Xubuntu team.

mint's website was suffered from an attack, if I'm not mistaken the iso download was replaced with malware. since then a lot of people are hesitant to use mint again.

its a good one, debian is pretty much the same thing but you can have some 'unexpected' issues that are sometimes a bit hard to solve if you are not experienced.

manjaro is weird
I wouldn't call it noob friendly with the types of obscure problems that crop up

Never had problems with Manjaro in 9 months of daily use apart from not receiving new update notifications for at least 3 weeks, which I found odd. Updating the mirror list fixed the issue.

The only other complaint I have is that it does not always boot on the 1st try, especially when GRUB times out. It will just say loading ramdisk and basically freeze. Have to reset the computer and then it works.

gentoo, you'll never regret it, you'll love it and use it forever and ever

Parrot OS, not even memeing, I tryied revenge OS, Elementary, Slackware, Mint, Kali, and many others. parrot OS just werks plus security and pentesting tools and its debian.

make sure to partition your disk correctly incase of system failure.

Manjaro. It's out-of-the box of arch. AND the AUR will mean most programs you don't have to compile yourself.

I doesn't matter what people tell you. Kubuntu is probably the WORST idea ever! Don't fall for the "kubuntu works normal if you know what to do" meme! IT'S BULLSHIT!
Go for KDE Neon instead if you want to try KDE. It's perfectly stable. SuSE requires some additional knowledge while setting up, kubuntu is buggy as fuck, debian has limited repos and is also a meme. Arch/Manjaro and Fedora are also good distros, but it's again a meme they are suitable for newcomers to linux.

I jumped straight into it a year ago and it worked out well for me. If you really want to learn fast this is the way to go.

can you elaborate on the mint attack? I installed Mint a few days ago on my netbook and did not know of this. I only do some basic browsing and stuff.

"stable" does not mean "harder to break by fucking around when you have no idea". It just means "software gets tested properly before being put into the repositories".

For your average noob, any Ubuntu flavor will do fine.

FreeBSD or OpenBSD if you actually want a good OS.

Either Gentoo or Arch, I prefer Arch
If you want to be easy, funtoo or manjaro

looking forward to the inevitable windows reinstall thread in a week

Install a GNU OS with Linux installed, don't get the raw thing.

Ubuntu, Debian and Linux Mint are the most stable ones out of the box, to a lesser degree also fedora.
Gentoo and LFS are technically the most stable ones you'll get but if you don't know your way around Linux and don't have the time to invest into setting it up its not really worth it.
If you want something stable, stay away from arch. I've never personally had it crash on me but the way the package manager and dependencies work on arch makes it prone to instability.

>jpg
How many reuploads has this shitty meme seen already?

>not thinking it over and making sure you can have all your use cases met in one way or another
i can't wait to report your 'OMG WHY WONT LINUX PLAY MY GAMESSSSSS' thread in a few days.

Xubuntu

install Biebian

Attached: desktop01.png (1024x768, 597K)

ARCH IS WHAT POWER USERS USE