If Discord was open source I'd host a server instance and I would totally not log chats and spy on users

>if Discord was open source I'd host a server instance and I would totally not log chats and spy on users

Attached: DAR2lrFVYAA7zfF.jpg (640x628, 41K)

>open source
Absolutely disgusting, free software is the way to go

surely it's more work to log chats and spy on users? Lazy privacy that's what I say

If the chats are e2e encrypted then it doesn't matter if the person running the instance wants to turn it into a botnet

well if it's open source you can fork it and modify it to do whatever you want.
personally I'd run a dm AI image recognition bot so that any nudes that are being exchanged in my community will be forwarded to a specific email address.
>implying the discord devs don't already have this set up

It doesn't as long as it's a person and you can really choose the server and self host. If it's a company that controls all servers, you can easily harvest metadata that's even more valuable that your gay furry roleplay

>transferring sensitive files over email
are you fucking retarded

>sensitive files
cuck

>he wants people to touch his file-chans
pimps out

>go through all this effort to extract nudes
>transfer it over email
LOOOL user STOP

>all this effort

nice shilling, nobody wants the ability to host their own servers to replace discord out of the kindness of their hearts but rather for the ability to host small private servers for small groups of people, the ability to self-host servers also helps every user out in the event discord radically changes their TOS and/or decides to ban certain users from the platform

If you really want your own private discord/slack clone where you own the data, try rocketchat.

>but rather for the ability to host small private servers for small groups of people
but that's literally what I said you idiot.
also if you host your own open source Discord server how do I know it's not spying on me even more and my dm's end up all over the internet because that one time I hurt your feelings?
I'm not shilling anything but let's face it, people hosting Discord servers on their computer would be like trigger happy forum moderators from 15 years ago on steroids.

IRC is better and doesn't have all this shit. Just get ircd and get over with it

>IRC is better
IRC doesn't have any kind of message persistence.

spying on users implies that you're less concerned with petty community squabbles and are more concerned with larger volunteer providers going rogue but whatever, if you didn't mean that I'll accept that I'm wrong and jumped to conclusions, but it's still a fucking retarded argument because boils down to you being a dumbass and sending sensitive information in a pm that the third party hoster has control over when there has been good ways of sending private information for literally decades - irc has had dcc for over two decades and otr plugins for around a decade at the very least
I can accept that the third party hoster being shit either through being compromised or going rogue is going to be far more of a concern than a service like discord having these problems but the bigger concern should be putting all your eggs in one basket, if you're that concerned about private logs being leaked to the greater public because they may be incriminating you should be equally concerned about a service like discord deciding to ban you and removing you from your community and from the communication platform your friends/family will eventually use exclusively, and if you're concerned about not wanting vanilla but private logs being leaked then what the fuck are you doing giving them willingly to a private company whose sole business model is literally your private data? discord could close up shop once their vc funding stops and you could lose access to all your past logs, and I'm not trying to say that centralised services are bad but self hosted ones avoid a lot of these problems and the drawbacks, like hosters potentially leaking logs, can be solved when you can mod a client to accept things like otr plugins
and as far as self-hosting communities having power tripping mods? yeah that will be a problem, but why would you ever want to associate with those communities?

You can do it already with bots.
What is your point?

Attached: enhanced-buzz-26895-1445458041-7.jpg (540x360, 31K)

>you being a dumbass and sending sensitive information in a pm
isn't that the point of dm's in any internet messaging software tho? we're not talking wall posts or public channels.

>why would you ever want to associate with those communities?
but in this specific context you'd be already associated with those communities.
this is what I was asking all along: what if some of the Discord servers that you are a member of right now would be hosted on their owner's computers? can you actually handle that? because this is one of the main complaint about Discord among people on the internet: not open source & the inability to self host a server.
so are you ready for some retard to host a 'custom' server which you happen to be a part of but at some point gets filled with chink botnet exploits over night because he forgot to set up some file permissions?

Actually, there already exists that exact AI inside Discord. I tried sending a nude over Discord(not mine of course lolsz) and it said "Our monkeys have identified the image as explicit one and your image won't be sent until the receiver enables it" or something similar.

I realise this won't be satisfying answer to everybody but I already told you what I'd do: the equivalent of what dcc and/or otr in irc does, and an even less satisfying answer would be that years of using less than trustworthy services has created the mindset that convenient chat programs aren't good places to discuss truly private things, and the least satisfying answer would be that I'd stick to my irc/mumble/whatever setup, but I'm in the position now where I can conceivably host my own stuff if I need to or that I'm in communities where I have a reasonable degree of trust with the owners
I realise it's a bit of a cop out answer but I don't know what else to say, but you're right in that discord going open source and self hosted may present some issues with the client being far more exploitable than something like irc
at the end of the day though both 'solutions' are going to be free and you're going to get what you pay for but I'm only really going to care about the one that gives some end user control

bots don't have access to private conversations

Neither would self hosted servers.
PMs being only available in the same server would be pretty stupid.

As an end user, I'd rather have my chat logs be spread out on different servers, instead of having one big Google company having it all.

>a whole thread about 'what if discord was modified and hosted on random neckbeard servers'
>hurr durr default discord is not like that

what's the problem with sending by email?

fpbp

>muh discord

/thread

Attached: nitro.gif (375x375, 43K)

fair enough but in this case those different servers are owned by individuals like you and me, not companies.

die fucking frogposter

Attached: download (2).png (225x224, 14K)

>also if you host your own open source Discord server how do I know it's not spying on me even more and my dm's end up all over the internet because that one time I hurt your feelings?
send your messages with E2E encryption. but you still need to trust the person you're talking to because they could still be an asshole and post your nudes on facebook

>I'm not shilling anything but let's face it, people hosting Discord servers on their computer would be like trigger happy forum moderators from 15 years ago on steroids.
discord server admins are already like that without being able to host it on their computer, this will happen as long as there is a power divide between admins/mods and everyone else

>opensource

Free as in freedom or gtfo