/ag/ & /am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Greedy Jew Edition

Discuss the technology of stereo speaker systems here. Post budgets and recommendations.

Attached: Coincident.jpg (700x463, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Rtbvp3B-BBE
amazon.com/dp/B000CMM202/ref=emc_b_5_t
amazon.com/Mackie-CR3-Creative-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B015U623MQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1528418158&sr=8-7&keywords=iloud&th=1
amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-MK402BT-Bluetooth-Bookshelf/dp/B07BKRNBM7/ref=sr_1_67?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528418484&sr=1-67&keywords=powered speaker bluetooth&refinements=p_36:8000-12000
amazon.com/Edifier-R1700BT-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016PATXSI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528418555&sr=1-3&keywords=active monitor bluetooth
amazon.com/Edifier-R1850DB-Bookshelf-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B073W1R4XQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528418528&sr=1-5&keywords=active speaker bluetooth
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Greedy Jew Edition
I bet that there's a conspiracy between tube-manufactures, tubeamp-manufactures and audiophile reviewers.
Fool people into buying inferior gear that has expensive parts that need replacing.

Attached: MA-1-shadow.png (863x351, 400K)

What's playing folks?
youtu.be/Rtbvp3B-BBE

Can anyone recommend a portable speaker, I know they are all shit but I need one.

Is the Logitech Z906 5.1 good enough for a tiny room?
(Talking like 7ft by 10ft)

Kitsound Boombar 2 I own isnt too bad honestly. But thats a UK brand.

Steve Hoffman master of Rumours

>Accuton
It's always the small outfits and DIY crowd that picks up these drivers, never the measurement focused group. They're seriously expensive, and some of the drivers are well behaved, but their absence is stark.

Blue Planet Corporation - Digital Forward

It's more like owning a vintage muscle car. You're buying something on the idea that you enjoy the sound signature of tubes, and different topologies offer very different sound presentations for both the preamp and amp sections. Tube rolling also changes sound signature which is appealing to people who like variety.

I still prefer solid state amps got most listening, but I own two tube integrated amps. One is made from scratch from the transformers of a stromberg Carlson integrated. The other is a Harman kardon integrated amp wired like the citation series. Both sound excellent as long as your speakers have a flat impedence/present an easy load.

The thing with accuton drivers is that their transient response is very impressive. Some people like the immediate attack/decay. Other people don't like it because they think it sounds unnaturally fast. These people typically like vintage speakers with poor transients, amplifiers with low damping factor, or a combination of the two.

When utilized properly they are incredible, but their pricepoint is limiting even for high end manufacturers. Most of those same manufacturers have moved on to making drivers in house with similar ceramic cones that work better with established designs in their catalog, or they have contracts with Seas, Tangband,SB acoustics, hivi and other big boi manufacturers.

I actually want to buy this dudes speakers. They're apparently very good.

Just posted hereI wanted to ask (or any other user who cares to answer) what do you think of his top end speaker the PRE? They cost $30k new. I wanted to pickup his amps too, the dragons for the woofers and the 300b Frankenstein for the tweeter, as well as his statement line stage.

Does anyone have some useful comparison charts? I'm helping open a cafe, and trying to pick out the right speakers for the space.

Sure that's not the breakup mode not being filtered out like it should? They're still hard cones.
The thing that bugs me isn't that the Accutons aren't nice drivers, but that they seem to be used by designers whose approach seems more like throwing money at acoustical mating problems.
Also, I'm looking for midrange drivers right now. Pure midrange, no bass. But they all seem so painfully power limited. It bugs me more than it probably should.

>useful comparison charts
What do you mean? Measurement guides?

Comparisons of wattage vs price, or maybe frequency charts. I'm not really sure, I'm just looking to get a good sense of what the average speaker is like, and the wiki doesn't have much info on this topic.

The biggest redpill in audio is that your goal doesn't have to be 100% neutrality. Eventually you realize that you don't have to buy studio monitors and 100% accurate solid state amps.

that dude has one realistic loooking sexbot there noice

Spiderland

The basic traits that make a speaker good:
-Smooth and extended frequency response on-axis, facing the speaker
-Smooth response off axis
-Low distortion
-Sufficient output/dynamics
-Low noise/vibration/etc.

General trade-off between size, bass response, and output. Anecdotally, most people overestimate their output requirement.
What's the cafe space like?

Big and concrete. We're converting a tractor supply space. I'm looking at these right now. How much of a mistake are they? amazon.com/dp/B000CMM202/ref=emc_b_5_t

Unless music is going to be one of the main attractions (you shouldn't ask here if it is), you may not have a pressing need for maximum dynamics. Still, it seems like any ceiling or structure there would be high up. For a smaller speaker to work, it would have be suspended and tilted down into the listening area. Not all cones are designed to be horizontally mounted after all.
Fewer, higher output speakers to cover the floor can work.
>mistake
I don't necessarily know how it sounds, but the output seems on the low side.

>thinking moving vintage hi-fi to the guest room and having modern hi-fi in my bedroom

Attached: 1519868650091.png (5000x5000, 381K)

Yeah, it's saying the sensitivity is only about 85db, which concerns me, but I'm not really sure what the optimal level would be. I can't find anything that advises correct db per area

>tfw get UPS notification about my audio equipment being delivered to my front door
>message roommate if she brought it inside
>no reply back for 30 minutes

Some factor kid better not steal it

How portable do you need?
Does it need to be completely wireless or is a power cord OK?

Do what Chipotle does. They have Klipsch Heresy installed but they invert them so the woofer gets more low end by utilizing the ceiling

That's clever, but our ceilings are going to be way too high to justify it.

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

A pair of Cornwalls will fill an area that large nicely assuming the place is the same size as the Tractor Supply near me. About 100db @ 1 watt efficient too. Only concern is echoes because I've been big polebarns with better equipment and it can be bad sometimes.

Is it one giant open space? Why not several smaller speakers as an alternative?

Attached: mememagic.jpg (440x522, 62K)

Yeah, it's effectively one giant space. We're putting up a handful of walls that go to the ceiling, but they won't fully close anything off, so smaller speakers to spread around is what I'm looking at.

these are good, as are most phillips portables
but you might search phillips vs X to see what might be better
Philips SB365B/37
its about 29 to 50 bucks

Attached: 81AHKTllvLL._SL1200_.jpg (1200x1200, 310K)

New flat, new tv, new lowboard. Room to big (almost 28m2), tv does only allow just about 7cm in front of it for a soundbar, so I'm fucked. Which AVR and box set do I get?

>portable speaker,
I can totally recommend the JBL GO, it's got awesome sound for a speaker it's size. It's got the Bluetooth and a 3.5mm jack and a battery that lasts me quite a while. It's vastly superior to other speakers of that size that I've had. I bought mine kind of randomly, there was a store that had some kind of anniversary special on a lot of things and they had a bunch for $10. I believe the regular price is much higher. I can highly recommend it if you want something that fits in a jacket pocket. But if you by "portable" mean something that goes in a gymbag or backpack or car trunk then this is not what you're looking for. Picture related gives you an idea of it's size compared to other things.

Attached: IMG_20180607_232207.jpg (2800x2100, 2.22M)

It's $275 on Amazon in the US. Do you really need 5.1? If not, there are much better 2.0 options.

for a cafe, consider:
Sony SS-MB150H or SS-B1000

good upper range, recessed midrange so it doesn't compete with conversation, and not bad bass; also very small, disappears into the background, and easy to power -- can be hung near the ceiling

usually $40 to $60 a pair used (eBay, craigs) in excellent condition; sometimes less than $10 in a thrift store

I'll just throw some advice in here, you absolutely do need good 5.1 surround if you're going to watch movies but you absolutely don't need no pathetic all in one mini speaker garbage from Logitech, that's just awful. What I'd do if I didn't already have a real 5.1 setup with a big powerful surround receiver and big actual speakers would be to buy a real stereo system. Get a pair of good bookshelf speakers and a good amplifier and start with that. You'll be able to get something acceptable (real separate stereo amplifier - not a garbage all in one solution) at that price. Then get a pair of front speakers and a center and a surround receiver later. Just a good surround receiver is $500 but that's not a must in a 7x10ft room.

I'd say a good stereo system is highly preferable to any Logitech or all in one solution like it.

These look pretty good for us. Thanks m8

I bought my girlfriend a UE Boom a few years back, mostly because for the colors they came in. Nice and simple design and sound decent but I have not compared anything side by side.

preddy gud advice

Attached: marvelous-vintage-industrial-living-room-25-phenomenal-industrial.jpg (1294x863, 748K)

Let's say someone wanted to buy speakers to party in a hotel room, what's the best option at $100, what about $200

First thing to come to mind for $200
amazon.com/Mackie-CR3-Creative-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B015U623MQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1528418158&sr=8-7&keywords=iloud&th=1

Mine stopped working after 6 months. Great speakers, but I'd get 2nd hand ones next time.

rent them from guitar center
and will a hotel actually allow one to play music that loud

>$100
amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-MK402BT-Bluetooth-Bookshelf/dp/B07BKRNBM7/ref=sr_1_67?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528418484&sr=1-67&keywords=powered speaker bluetooth&refinements=p_36:8000-12000
>$150 (With remote)
amazon.com/Edifier-R1700BT-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016PATXSI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528418555&sr=1-3&keywords=active monitor bluetooth
>$200 (also with remote)
amazon.com/Edifier-R1850DB-Bookshelf-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B073W1R4XQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528418528&sr=1-5&keywords=active speaker bluetooth

Do I even need a dedicated speaker amp if it already sounds good from DAC AMP

No

Use a lot of small speakers rather than a few big ones and get some subwoofers, even if inexpensive. Run the sound really warm and low. The reason to use a bunch of speakers is for even dispersion. If you have just a few big ones, then to fill the areas without the speakers you have to turn those up louder which means a few people have to sit next to a very loud speaker. Then they yell and the whole place gets loud.

Also make sure you acoustically treat the ceiling.

> this
Human ears don't have flat response curves. And every persons ear is a little bit different. Buying speakers based on specs alone is no guarantee you'll actually like how it sounds.