/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread: >>

Attached: Microsoft Github.jpg (1014x516, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/TheoraVorbisEncodingGuide
marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137392506516022&w=2
ghostbin.com/paste/rghso
launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Previous thread:

Install GIMP

Attached: 1528377747955.png (306x306, 159K)

If I have everything configured in XFCE, will I have to reinstall drivers if I install i3wm alongside it?

G R E E N I S
N Y
U E P P E R S

No. You can choose i3 from your login screen.

how do i make this Not Happen

Attached: Screenshot_20180607_154627.png (64x54, 985)

Really?

Install Pinta. Gimp is bloated.

how the f* can i redirect blocked websites from a list on squid? its working fine, bloking what i want, but i need it to instead of going to the "ERROR YOU HAVE NO ACESS" it should be going to something like www.google.com

Attached: 1111111.png (986x1008, 142K)

So is ur life.

Since FFmpeg 4.x, I'm missing encoders.
I've tried to encode with
>theora for ogg
>lame for mp3
>vp8 and vp9 for webm
>h264 and hevc for mp4
the only one that worked was h264 + hevc

I've tried the package in the main repository, but also ffmpeg-full and ffmpeg-full-git from AUR. None work.

Should I try downgrading to FFmpeg 3.4 or am I doing wrong something else?

>solarized
ewwwww

>censoring yourself

Attached: 1526871665196.jpg (1200x794, 118K)

>drivers
why would you have to do that to change wm
???
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/TheoraVorbisEncodingGuide

>inplying i'm not doing a college project

Use duckduckgo instead.

I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

When I choose my wi-fi and type the password, the installer brings me back to this screen.
What do I do?

Attached: IMG_20180607_145029.jpg (4608x3456, 2.65M)

wtf are these trolling cunts doing on a friendly linux thread...MODS MODS MODS

GNU/Linux*

Attached: 1481185821119.jpg (480x336, 23K)

Based foot poster.

>HURRR DURRR MOM I'M TROLLING ON DA INTERWEBSSS HURRR DURRRR

Attached: basicAnon.jpg (1600x902, 96K)

Is that some debian / ubuntu installer? Buggy pieces of crap in my experience. Try another version of the distro, maybe it works then... or another distro.

Or set wlan up later [if it's not some netinstall] - after the installation is done it can work better than the actual installer..

It's netinstall. Fugg.

BTW there is one more possible issue, maybe your NIC requires proprietary firmware - an unofficial nonfree variant of the installer medium might solve that.

Or again, another distro that doesn't have an open sauce only policy.

get a better font

No. Alpine is just Linux.

any reccs?

anonymous pro

Linux is just the kernel.

Terminus

I just tried it with a FFmpeg 4 static build, which works, but I'd much rather know why it doesn't work with the builds from repo or AUR

ffmpeg -encoders doesnt even list libvorbis libtheora libvpx and whatnot
It worked with ffmpeg 3.4 but not since 4.0

marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137392506516022&w=2
>Because if you want me to "act professional", I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what "acting professionally" results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways.
Why is Linus so based?

non-ironically would be an improvement

Menlo, but any monospace font should do the trick.
search for mono in font names or monospace/fixed width in font websites.

oooooo i like it
thanks user!

If I use Debian can I use the Ubuntu snap store? Can I download any Ubuntu program?

Someone had tearing in a rotated monitor with compton and fixed it? Google'd a while but couldn't find anything more than "compton works weird on multimonitor setups".

also on the arch/manjaro repos so thats a neat plus

I don't know what's the snap store but I'm guessing it's like a package manager with graphic interface?
You should really try apt, it's in my opinion the best package manager but if you aren't into terminal stuff I don't see the need to move from ubuntu.
And yes you can use any program that runs on any distro on another if you have it's requisites. Try doing ldd /your/binary to see what libraries it needs.

Does it tear without compton running? Can u post your compton config inside ~/.config?

Flatpak m8. Just ise flatpak

Born and raised in Europe. The majority isn't into the burger political correctness nonsense, even if there are other [diverse] forms of etiquette.

Also, he's just overall pretty sane and goal-oriented.

He isn't

I have the standard compton configuration, I think have none (not un Linux right now but I can post it later).
Without compton it has a light tearing on both screens but with it the portrait monitor has and the landscape (primary) doesn't.
I run it like compton --backend glx --vsync opengl &
It shouldn't make a difference if I run it from i3's config or from .xinitrc, right?
Also if it serves, I'm using amd-pro drivers for r9 390.

That's a pretty great example of how not to manage a software project.

dumb frogposter

AppImage, Flatpack or Snaps?
What is the true master race?

So you agree with political correctness taking over everything? Why aren't you using FreeBSD?

Flatpak seems better designed, and has better support outside Ubuntu.

Just go back to Windows at this point.

I agree that Torvalds is a dick.

Go get offended somewhere else, cupcake.

try running it with --paint-on-overlay and change the vsync parameter to opengl-swc so it's:
compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc &
on my computer that slows it a bit tho.

This isn't the thread for your garbage. Fuck off.

font hinting can be the cause of this, try play around with hintstyle and lcdfilter in your font config

It's the ideal way. Else you get swamped with autistic burgers that like retarded codes of conduct and patronizing adults over correct language and bullshit.

Rather than programming and getting shit done and occasionally having arguments like adults. Which, by the way, do swear at each other.

You are a dick, too. And that's exactly how it should work, yep.

I will try, thank you user. If you don't mind, let me ask something more:

I've tried to search about what's the main difference among differents opengl modes, like drm, opengl, opengl-oml, opengl-swc and opengl-mswc but I couldn't find anything substantial. May you explain a little it to me?

Also
>It shouldn't make a difference if I run it from i3's config or from .xinitrc, right?

m8 what gpu do you have and what drivers

>Also if it serves, I'm using amd-pro drivers for r9 390.

No differences if you run it from one site or another, however I would put everything X related in the same file to keep it cleaner if you want to edit it later.
The modes is just a way to specify which method you wanna use from the linux kernel or from opengl, for example drm is from the linux kernel and is located in include/uapi/drm/drm.h, I really don't know what are the differences in the opengl methods but you should try all and use the one that works best with your hardware, on my computer opengl-swc is the one that works best but I'm using a nvidia so it should diff with yours.

yes, you can install the snap shitware on any gnu+linux system which has systemd. It even has official instructions for debian.

Thank you user. I will try the things you all recommended me.

perhaps I will, I've - seriously - never heard of it and I've used GNU/Linux since Windows 98 was popular. I've always used kolourpaint and GIMP and krita. Odd that I somehow missed the existence of this Pinta.

snap is comfy

You can use guix, nix, snap, flatpak or the much more capable & widely used docker (/rkt) and the like.

I'm going to guess the Ubuntu snap store can be installed and used too, but I never tried it.

>Odd that I somehow missed the existence of this Pinta.
You probably missed it because it's more like kolourpaint or mypaint or tuxpaint and less like gimp, krita or inkscape or blender in terms of features.

I don't think you'll stop using GIMP and krita.

Why is audio on Linux so fucking complicated?
>shit loads of programs depend on pulseaudio nowadays
>but all serious audio programs don't work with pulse and need JACK
I've literally wasted 3 hours trying to get the retarded JACK sink for pulse to work and I'm still getting errors.

Attached: brainlet.jpg (874x684, 79K)

Because Torvalds is a dick.

Seriously, I've had no problems using Linux for everyday shit so far but this is ridiculous.
I don't want to install a poorly maintained audio distro just for a working JACK config.

>nowadays
I only suffer this because I use an external card. You should go fine with the minimal software general guide for audio.

I have been trying to fix my microphone for over 3 years now since I bought it.
I feel you.

>minimal software general guide for audio
What?
I just told you I need both this piece of shit pulseaudio and JACK to work together somehow.
There's no other way to have sound from your browser and from something like PureData at the same time.

yeah this area does need to improve. my motherboard has dual acl1220 audio which means it shows up in alsa as two analog inputs and two analog outputs and a digital out. pulseaudio will only autodetect one analog input and one output meaning no front case microphone/headphone unless I set that shit up manually, which I've done. But this requires turning off pulseaudio auto-detection and so no not-plugging USB audio devices. There seems to be no way to make pulseaudio exclude the dual-acl1220 from autodetection while still allowing it to autodetect other things. That pothead who wrote pulse probably doesn't it would be "user-friendly".

Try this, maybe it will help you
>ghostbin.com/paste/rghso

In Gentoo, do you think it's better have more or fewer global USE flags defined in make.conf? Like I want to be specific about what I want but I don't want to accidentally break something and then have to recompile my whole system.

Then how do I get Jack implemented with this?

Can someone explain to my how the programs work across DE's?
Like a program made for gnome barely works on KDE.
How do I know which programs to choose?
I like qbittorent but don't know if I can use it in XFCE/Gnome/KDE.

AlsaMixer should do the trick, with having sound from mulitple sources together. Try the paste bin and check the links inside, everything worked for me BUT the volume. But my issue came because I'm using a sound card which Void can't work with.

I don't think the amount matters. In a more specialize system there are tend to be more global USE flags, in a generic system there are much less.
Also, when you eselect a profile you are enabling or disabling a shitload of USE flags too. The KDE system profile of course has a gorillion of global USE flags while the default profile barely has any.

How trustworthy are ppas? I have used launchpad to install the proprietary Nvidia driver, but it got me thinking, wouldn't infiltrating a popular ppa be the ideal method for the NSA to compromise Linux?

I have also been thinking that compiling everything from source isn't all that safer either as no one person has the time to audit every piece of source code prior to installing.

I'm getting paranoid. :(

I'm having install trouble with Linux Mint.

Hardware:
R5 1600
Gigabyte A320M mobo
GTX 1050

Upon booting Mint from a liveUSB, I get an error: "DRM: failed to create kernel channel. -22"

I am led to understand that it's a problem with the graphics card.

Any tips? How do I modify a kernel boot option?
Am I just busted?

What if I'm using an external USB DAC?

Trust the big ones like gnuzilla or icecat ppas, for small things just manually install it securely in a sandbox from their source code.

check your iso
the iso could be damaged

Dependencies should give you a rough idea on which program is DE-centric, if it pulls a shit ton of dependencies then it's probably not gonna integrate well on a DE it's not designed for.

Trust: official ppas made by the developer(s) of a program
Don't trust: unofficial ppas, yourself

add the "nomodeset" option to your kernel command line. You can edit menu options in every bootloader, usually with the 'e' key. You will have to death with 800x600 or a similar low res during the installation. After you managed to install the OS, install the binary drivers.

Thanks, man.

Can't answear you because I don't use it. I use external PCI card. Sorry user.

Which kernel?

what is the best gaming distro in 2018?

gentoo
>optimized specifically for your cpu
>can tweak literally anything to improve performance

Linux Xtreme Pro 2018

Do you think the graphics driver team is trustworthy? launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers

Using ffmpeg from git on gentoo ( tho not update for several weeks ) . I am currently transcoding old avi files with it to vp9. Check the PKGBUILD file to see if the encoders are disabled before compilation.

So? What I posted is correct.

I followed the gentoo guide on condiguring ALSA to be able to use more than one sound source at once ( the dmix part ). I am not able to make MOC ( 2.6 alpha 3 ) play nicely, it only starts when configure it to use a specific device ( in which case it disables other programs sound output ). Other stuff like notifications, mpv, wine, etc. work well. Any advice?

install pulseaudio

No.