Press F to pay respects on Intel

Press F to pay respects on Intel

Attached: strong arm.png (911x981, 325K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Micro_Devices,_Inc._v._Intel_Corp.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>arm will totally beat x86

>people are holding intel chips to their heads

>Press F to pay respects on Intel
S

You know amd is also x86, pajeet. Consult your boss, so you don't lose rupees next time.

S for having minux backdoor.

Attached: 1494886290711.png (633x900, 162K)

>ARM laptop
why not just get a notebook then

no, amd is amd64 nowadays

Attached: 1509476367243.png (420x420, 12K)

>x86 extension
amdrones ain't very bright, are they

Could this be, may I say it, the Year of ARM on the Desktop?

I'd like that. Could probably get a cool business style laptop with that.

x86-64 actual name is AMD64

Would it be nice to have a laptop based on this platform?

Provided a desktop distro is available and software is optimized for ARM, it would be quite nice I'd imagine.

How good is their falkor arch? Could they retool it for laptop usage?

Attached: 20170823_qualcomm_centriq_2400_slide.jpg (648x338, 45K)

>corelet posting this hard

reminder

Attached: yearofarmdekst.jpg (1905x985, 267K)

Atom-tier and it's pointless.
They've booted the Falkor team iirc.

Too bad literally every qualcomm laptop I've seen is significantly more expensive than the equivalent with an atom

8 threads per core? How does that even work?

They mean the entire chip has 8 threads

But this shit has 4 working cores? big.LITTLE has 2 sets of cores, but only 1 set works at the time. Sure, they can made them work at the same time, but slower cores are different cores with smaller cache and lower frequency.

Wrong. Only the android scheduler does that. Look at these big.LITTLE single board computers with samsung SoCs. They've got all 8 (4+4) cores running at the same time. Explaining Computers showcases that in one of hes videos.

But it still doesn't change the fact that 2nd set of cores is slow garbage.

Okay

based okayposter

no shit, if they were all the same speed it wouldn't be big.LITTLE

AMD really needs a 4-12w CPU to compete with the Y series

>Beaten by a single-core Celeron
Jesus, what a trainwreck ARM is. The only hope left against the x86 jew is RISC-V

They already have the 2500u a laptop 15 watt chip

that's not a y series

it rapes my B50-30 kek

mate that's a 4 core celeron with OC'd atom cores lol

well at least it can play Half life 2 on meduim

>housefire in your smartphone
what did they mean by this

*portable housefire phone (TM)
FTFY

With enough cores and GHz, ARM could one day reach the power of an i3.

How will this compete with 12w TDP 7nm Zen2 CPUs with integrated graphics that aren't gimped?

This is just a dieshrunk and higher clocked 845, right?
So Adreno 630.. lets assume like 35% higher performance.
so 135% of 737 GFLOPs is 994 GFLOPs.
That's actually quite impressive, but it's less than half what we'd expect a 7nm Vega8 to put out.

As for CPU, looking at what, maybe 20 GFLOPs from the CPU? Compared to over 10x that a theoretical die shrunk 2500U...

Yeah, this is nothing. If anything it's looking like ARM is going to get replaced in phones by x86-64 if this is the best they can do at that TDP.
You could make a theoretical 4W TDP Raven Ridge shrunk to 7nm with much better performance than this 12W chip.

Oh well I realize now I compared to the theoretical Snapdragon 1000, and not a theoretical overclocked Cortex-A76, but still I think my points still stand.

Also I really shouldn't have said gimped graphics. Adreno is really capable. But it's nothing on Vega in its sweet spot at lower clocks.

Adreno is actually far more capable, comparatively, than these ARM CPUs are.

It's an ARM chip competing against Intel ARM chips, brainlet.

I don't think that is really an accurate comparison. Why would Qualcomm create w new tier of SoCs if it was just a die shrink and yearly upgrade? In reality, it probably has something like double the cache, GPU cores, and memory bandwidth compared to the 8xx series (since the TDP has doubled). I mean if Qualcomm's roadmap wasn't competitive, why would Microsoft go through all the trouble of creating Windows on ARM?

>AMD dethroned Intel at the mainstream and top end for CPUs
>Qualcomm about to dethrone intel in the low end mobile for CPUs
It's glorious finally seeing the fall of intel.

Threads are software, nigger

Probably the 20 hours of screen on time on a laptop that weighs about a kilogram.

>Intel ARM chips
>brainlet

Attached: 1390508731534.png (670x720, 539K)

>ARM
It's fucking nothing.

>Intel ARM chips
uwotm8

Then what are thyperthreads

You can have 32T1C, but that doesn't make it necessary faster than 16T1C. It also depends on how the software works and executed.

Attached: spit.jpg (485x362, 30K)

>Intel ARM chips

kek, he thinks Atomfails are ARM architecture.

Attached: oddball-cat.gif (400x250, 1.98M)

>that much detail in a cat model
>doesn't even have cat eyes
how do you overlook this?

>have four cores with eight threads each

pretty bad wording

>literally patented under AMD64

hmm

Ya, you're right.
Simply overclocking like the article claims makes no sense.
They'd need to increase die size to give it the performance at given TDP.

Still, the CPU is going to be super weak.
You could double Adreno cores and get a capable GPU at 15w, but you can't double the CPU and get the same compared to Zen.

probably intentional

arm is crap, however, they use hardware acceleration to boost shit, its entirely possible to make a laptop on an arm processor that most people will find adequate, granted, im also of the opinion windows 8 was very close to being a true hybrid desktop mobile os, it just sucked dick for desktop at first.

my understanding is threads come from utilizing resources in the pipeline at the same time that would otherwise go unused

How low of a TDP would a laptop CPU need to run without fans?

It will not make a difference in practice given Intel has a monopoly

Here's a pic of a Belgian website
>252 laptops available
>1 (one) has a Ryzen CPU

I shouldn't be surprised tho'

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Micro_Devices,_Inc._v._Intel_Corp.

Attached: monopoly.png (1920x1080, 280K)

Microsoft probably doesn't know whether it will be competitive or not, but don't want to miss the opportunity to dominate if it happens to succeed.

There are a number of 12w fanless laptops, iirc. Maybe even 15w?

Qualcomm batting heavy as fuck lately.

The newer snapdragon socs even have metal casings to prevent overheating death without a heatsink and to also allow better thermal transfer when using a heatsink.

They also have great upstream NIC support on Linux. (OpenWRT is the best example of this)

Freedreno is also the best (IMO) foss embedded Linux GPU driver.
(maybe once etnaviv has the recycled AMD scheduler it can rise up)
Also Qualcomm is the only American 5G company which will allow us to get GPL compliant Simcard support! (Librem for instance)

Snapdragons ar

I just hope freescale will go bankrupt, that's all that matters.

Imagine a Armbian laptop with foss WLAN/5G/Ethernet(qualcomm-atheros)
support

Snapdragons(CPU) and Adreno(GPU) already have good history of support.

Then throw in a Ti chip for the audio and a OLED for lower power consumption and you got a laptop that could probably run on a 12 cell for days.

Why's that?
Also they kind of are since they merged into NXP semiconductors.

Because they fucked me over when I still was a child over decade ago.
Death to NXP.

Haha!
What happened?
I'm actually disapointed in their downfall because they made the only Foss ARM hardware for some time.(luckily there's more options now)

>IT WORKS TW1002B

Attached: 1523586375590.png (2560x1440, 1010K)

Bought a 1.4GHz G4 CPU upgrade for which I saved my money for over a year long. Didn't go to some events in my city (saving the bus ticket etc.), abstained from getting sweets and all that shit. 3 months after I've bought it, it broke down. Freescale refused to exchange it for a new one because I've gotten it on ebay and made up bullshit, claiming it wasn't genuine (which it was, original sealed box and all that fuzz). Thing is: Ebay was the only source for these CPU upgrades in germany back then. You could buy them from overseas and pay shipping and tax out of your ass, or you bought from an importer. That importer guy used ebay to get away from refunds etc. Looked like some private person importing them.
Fuck freescale and NXP, they shall rot in hell. I'm getting into a fit of rage just thinking about it.
It didn't even increase the FPS in Warcraft 3 that much, only about a 10FPS boost (40 FPS, ridiculous!).
Built a hackintosh about a year later and never looked back.

Attached: 1508012274719.jpg (550x550, 23K)