Desktop Thread: Best You've Ever Seen Edition

Doesn't have to be your own.

Here is someone's OpenBSD desktop with KDE.

>HNNNNNG.

For security against firmware attacks, is Open BSD better than Qubes? Is OpenBSD easy enough for a grandma to use? What does it lack?

Attached: OpenBSD with KDE 4.jpg (1680x1050, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ix.io/1cDM
ix.io/1cDH
github.com/xero).
imgur.com/a/NSTbGcZ
youtu.be/CDEZaVP4vBE
csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html
imgur.com/gallery/SU6bL
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Look, unless your grandmother has dementia I'm sure she could adapt to any OS. The only reason you think they can't is because they're stubborn. If you insult them over it enough they'll learn quickly. When I was teaching my grandfather to use Arch Linux I asked him how he managed to live through the holodomor but can't even adapt to a simple operating system. He seemed more determined to learn after that.

I recently did an OpenBSD + KDE install. On a desktop it would probably be fine but on a laptop its just obnoxious: can't suspend on lid close (have to use Fn keys), volume buttons did not work. There isn't a wifi manager for any of the DEs. Battery life was worse than Linux and fan speed was high.

Attached: 1515421789773.png (1920x1080, 2.47M)

Top kek.

But it was more secure than if it were a Linux distro, no?

"Linux is a ball of millions or tens of millions of lines of code that has never been audited and never will be audited. It probably has more backdoors and security bugs than any OS, ever. Using even a hardened version, or Qubes, is almost pointless."

How true or false is this statement?

>more secure
lol no

openbsd is way more secure out of the box than any kind of linux, pleb. although probably not worth the hassles.

>out of the box
you'd have to remove all software from linux to get the same "out of the box" experience ;^)

Get rekt.

Attached: KDE Desktop.webm (1280x720, 1.89M)

>Implying you can't download select software.

>select
BWAHAHAHAHA

Gooby pls.

HNNNNG.

why would you use meme animations like that

its just a computer user not a fucking kids mobile game

This seems basic but beautiful.

>that disgusting jiggle when he moved the window
gross

too bad it can't run actual software

>kde4

Such as?

rslinx

Yes, of course it is more secure, and OpenBSD's codebase is famously clean and easy to read. However, the end user does not care: what I care about, as someone using the OS, is stability, ease of use and performance.

As much as I love and shill OpenBSD it just doesn't make much sense for a desktop. If you're truly paranoid use Qubes. The fact of the matter, though, is that even Ubuntu has more security OOB than the average user will ever need.

Attached: 1517940514415.jpg (800x600, 212K)

>Linux/Debian can't run software.

Attached: Laughing Tucker.jpg (283x281, 14K)

But doesn't the fact that Linux (including Qubes) is comprised of millions of lines of unaudited code nullify Linux (and Qubes) for security?

good ol xp

Attached: 1528132582412.png (1680x1050, 1.75M)

I can't even natively install smartshare for my tv so no it can't

How do I do or get this?

Attached: qtstep.png (1360x768, 337K)

Ugly, yet great.

No, I don't think so. While OpenBSD has more focus on security, the application-level compartmentalization is far more valuable for a desktop user.

Sure, OpenBSD's base is more secure: but gain access to that system, and its over. Qubes even compartmentalizes attached storage. There's so single point of failure. Kind of like why a password manager is good: you use incredibly strong passwords, making each point of failure more difficult to penetrate, and none of those passwords are the master.

Rate my stuff plz.

Attached: screenshot.png (800x600, 304K)

>Those thick clunky window borders
Ewwwww, it's almost like you have no taste

Attached: Final_Boss.jpg (465x493, 35K)

Kek

Attached: trfs_desktop_2_by_teenagerobotfan777.jpg (1280x1024, 716K)

could you link to that kwin script?

KDE is great.

Attached: Screenshot_20180607_161335.png (1366x768, 1.15M)

Attached: bliss 7.png (1920x1080, 3.19M)

hey man, i've only tried ubuntu and mint, want to try opensuse before jumping to arch. any basic pointers i have to remember while installing suse. thanks

Use the net install ISO that you aren't downloading an extra 1GB of garbage you probably won't need. The install takes over an hour, but you can just leave it once you set up users, passwords, and disks. Choose the KDE desktop to install and then you're done.

Is lxqt ready to replace lxde yet? I didn't even know there were a lot of qt themes.

here OP, still tweaking a few things color wise so not as consistent.

thanks user.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-08_02-19-16.png (1280x800, 882K)

another doubt, what happens if my internet flakes in the middle due to a power cut or some shit which is not common here but it's 30-40% probable currently.

should i need to do again or just wait till it connects to internet again?

probably really slow. even firefox is so slow on openbsd that its unusable.

I'm just getting into the xfce environment from mate can you give me a screen fetch or detailed list of what themes/tweaks you installed to get that look? Its noice

You wait until the internet connects again.

sure user.

here is my PS1

this is for non sudo access
PS1="\n\[\e[0;37m\]┌─[\[\e[1;32m]\e[0;37m\]]──[\e[1;33m\w\e[0;34m]\[\e[0;34m\]\[\e[1;36m\] $_BRANCH_STR: \$ \[\e[0;37m\]\n|\n\[\e[0;37m\]└────╼ \[\e[1;36m\]>>> \[\e[00;00m\]"

below is for sudo access
PS1='\[\e[0;32m\]Force_Acivated \[\e[0;36m\]ϟϟϟ \[\e[0;32m\]root ⟶ \[\e[0;37m\]'

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-08 02-46-42.png (1139x476, 87K)

more settings to recreate the taskbar should be done in gradients and background stuff in theme and desktop

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-08_02-51-44.png (1280x800, 393K)

This is a script I wrote that I use in conjunction with cron to periodically change my desktop theme, so it doesn't become too boring.
I'll post it here together with the color scheme files and wallpaper images, in case someone wants to use it.

Here is the script:
ix.io/1cDM

Here are the color schemes:
ix.io/1cDH

The color schemes are taken from various internet sources, especially from xero (github.com/xero).

And here are the exact wallpapers I use:
imgur.com/a/NSTbGcZ

Youtube video of how it works:
youtu.be/CDEZaVP4vBE

Attached: 2018-06-07-165626_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 153K)

noob here, can you tell me how do i include this in my ubuntu 18. thanks user. looks good.

I tried including some instructions in the script and color scheme files.

Basically, the script uses feh to set the wallpaper. Just read the script to see where each file should be posted. Imo, it's pretty self explanatory. See the correct paths in the script and the color file, corect naming conventions, and then just use cron to execute the script, or do it yourself with ./ColorTheme.sh
Add 2> /dev/null at the end, and in cron too, to not have any error messages printed in case you have some /dev/pts/ that you can't access, like firefox or whatever.

Oh yeah, also it uses polybar. If you have i3bar instead, then replace this in the script:

polybar-msg cmd restart

with this:

i3 restart

Idk what else to tell you.

thanks man. i got it i think. i have put them in their appt folders. setting up the cron script now.
peace.

csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html
Yeah, until sombody actually audits it.

Hope you make it work.
Keep in mind how the files must be named, or just tweak the script yourself to fit your file names. Just make sure everything is in it's respective directory.

i give up

Attached: 2018-06-07-151017_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 163K)

Attached: hml.2.jpg (478x358, 63K)

can you have more wibbly wobbly effects?

Kek, can you please post your desktop pic with Homer?

animooted

Attached: hacker desktop.gif (1366x768, 1015K)

Download lolcat and do
cmatrix | lolcat

here man. i got this from this collection here.

imgur.com/gallery/SU6bL

Attached: 14 - UQGIIaZ.jpg (2560x1440, 924K)

Attached: shaqintosh.jpg (604x378, 58K)

Attached: my dektop.jpg (1023x765, 382K)

>LOTR
>LOTR II
>LOTR III
Shots fired. How do they respond?

Attached: 2018-06-06-162008_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 908K)

is there a way to update that or would everything just break

>lot of themes
no.
it used to support gtk themes but that function is broken in new releases.
I've tried to get themes going with qt5ct but it all ended in failure.

altering backlight isn't supported, it screws with the gamma instead of proprly dimming.

no settings to alter touchpad settings like tap to click or natural scrolling so you're screwed unless you autistically configure dotfiles

on the positive side, openbox tears like a bitch even with compton, so kwin is an immense improvement.

if you are considering "replacing lxde" xfce or kde are better options.

what's with the dirty dancing script. you gay or something?

>Internet Explorer
Yep, faggot.

I'm about to start ricing again, and my first piece of rice was to switch from Konversation to irssiscrot

Attached: 2018-06-07-202756_3840x2160_scrot.png (3840x2160, 1.47M)

hello Pordan
real thread is this way

>chrome.core
I keked, and I'm an OpenBSD fanboy.

last time I used OpenBSD, chromium would crash every 10 seconds. I assume it's still that way lol

Thanks a million user ily onichan

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
This is a problem because OpenBSD claims to be about security, but forgets that security is made up of three parts: confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
In this case, availability seems to be the one that's lacking. Who cares how hack-resistant your system is if the data you're protecting is corrupted?
That's not even getting into the volume management stuff that's missing, and the snapshots, and the everything.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

solve these fun riddles to find the desktops currently in the running
1. snapchat
2. wide
3. stolen dotfiles
4. of Ithilien
5. logo

Attached: contest sheet june 7.jpg (2000x2500, 1.06M)

>stolen dotfiles
hint?

Attached: windows_vista.png (1920x1080, 724K)

>thinks it's a kwin script

suiging

>Firmware attacks
No monolithic kernel protects against this, something like Hurd (drivers in userland) or other microkernels or buying all FSF recommended hardware and ripping out any side channels like speakers, bluetooth, wifi ect.

For example NetBSD rumpkernels allow userland drivers, and they work with Hurd as a controller, so could deploy independent kernels for each user to have it's own view of the hardware.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-08 11-05-30.png (1920x1080, 609K)

>nakedhub

Attached: 1528430642679.png (1920x1080, 611K)

I'm sucker for old unix gui look.

Being grandpa tier old I also remember how horrible those where to use so I'm kinda split.

Attached: cde-jzaremski.jpg (1152x864, 232K)

still trying to find the person that made this

Attached: unknown_3.jpg (900x506, 163K)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 9.22.25 AM.png (1440x900, 363K)

fubuntu...

yes?

I don't feel like hunting down summer '12 hdni or ahoka, so I'll self-plug instead

Attached: benis.png (1920x1080, 2.06M)

you're pretty much ahoka with a flower anyways

That's been me for years

Which font are you using?

it looks great :D

Attached: scrot_2018-06-08-49_1366x768.png (1366x768, 340K)

Gold edition...

Attached: 2334968.jpg (1024x576, 94K)

jenny is my waifu

enjoying systemd you retarded faggot? where did the os touch you?

>tfw implies that a filesystem is necessary to mitigate bitrot when hardware solutions in most devices already just back up you fucking idiot
>tfw completely disregards pledge (large portion packages patched already), securelevel, karl, recent case where majority os except openbsd was vulnerable to processor vuln, tfw not affected because hardware debug registers arent available by design
>tfw makes historical argument for sustainability even though donations are on track for forseeable future
>tfw ignores reasoning for no fucking extensions shit, it's for the clean code dumbass, i don't want to maintain your stupid code that's written in some alien interpretation of c

pic related on the right, you on the far left.

Attached: 1526261462834.jpg (1500x707, 246K)

hell yeah

That's like a fistful of sand and glass pieces thrown at your open eyes

I'm honestly surprised that fn keys worked for you.

>"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"

Compated to Ubuntu, OSX, and Windows that good

new desktop

Attached: 2018-06-08-195538_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 671K)

wallpaper mate?