Should you turn off your PC during a thunderstorm?

Should you turn off your PC during a thunderstorm?

Attached: 1497984158246.png (904x451, 355K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stormhighway.com/surge_protectors_ups_lightning_protection_myth.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, I set up a rod on my roof and have it wired to my pc, its how i overclock my shit bro. 40,000 GHz with 1000 FPS on crysis

fucking kek

Depends where you live, but probably yes. I live in a rural area and ive had lightning strike power lines,

Yes just switch to phoneposting

Absolutely. Storms often lead to morons plowing into poles and taking down power lines, so if you don't have an UPS your computer can shut down improperly which can cause data loss and corruption. Unless you're using a laptop, then it's whatever because of its battery. Just make sure you have actual surge protectors and not just power strips because a surge can still fry your shit.

Only if you intend to also unplug it.

>2018
>not using a surge protector/battery backup combo on all your sensitive electronics

It’s like you plebs don’t even try.

U have disease

Depends what shithole you live in and how you live there.

Unless you have underground cabling from the substation, a lightning rod and a UPS on all your systems and networking equipment, yes, you should.

Attached: 1510329228976.jpg (400x400, 43K)

Wouldn't unplugging it be better

Attached: 1525833700031.png (265x265, 104K)

no, because static charge can build up across the prongs on your power plug. if you're unlucky you'd be overloading your PSU with 10,000V in an atmospheric discharge. If you leave them plugged in, they're at least grounded.

and unplug it. and I mean unplug everything. power, ethernet, printer, whatever.

it's no use if it's off, but plugged in. no surge protector or UPS is going to block lightning from frying it if it gets to that point.

I have a surge-protected UPS so no.

Why not just turning off the main breaker instead?

Nevermind, apparently I'm a tard.
stormhighway.com/surge_protectors_ups_lightning_protection_myth.php

Yes, wife's SSD was friend when her PC shut off unexpectedly during a power surge.

>Americans don't have grounding pins in their plugs
Lol

powering down protects against a power loss or brownout causing an unclean shutdown and possible corruption of anything that had in-flight writes. Unplugging after powering down protects against that and also lighting.

I got one monitor thats been struck 5 times, my last pc got struck 3 times, it was dying anyway and in one season it completely bricked the fucking thing, and it behaved incredibly odd after the lightning strikes, the system afterwards was constantly making micro freezes while doing tasks and watching videos.

> switching power suplies
maybe
> linear power supplies
definitely

Lightning nuked my big 600w subwoofer amplifier. That bought a tear to my eye.

i lived in south florida for 14 years and only rarely turned my pc off for a storm. lost power several times with it on. never broke anything

Forgot to mention, the monitor still works perfectly

no, you should have frequent, cold backups of important data

leave your computer on during storms and collect the insurance money

Yes you should. Turn off the oc and watch the storm pass by is relaxing