Is 8 gb of RAM really needed?

Is 8 gb of RAM really needed?

Attached: 1520962118883.jpg (599x816, 110K)

Only if you want to navigate the internet.

That'll get Windows' Basic edition running, sure

Only if you run shitty software on shitty OS.

But all browsers are shitty.

Explain how Opera manages to use less than the other browsers then.

You only need more ram if your pc is a whore and it gets ganbanged by a ton of programs

No.
t. 1GB RAM power user.

Less cruft, but still being on the GB level of memery usage.

Post specs.

no, you could get by with 2 even 1

Who dis maiden be?

>not running MS DOS 6.22 with 16 megs of ram

It shouldn't be, but bloat begets bloat.

Who's this fluid druid?

depends on what you consider "need". I edit video and do a lot of encoding. Funnily enough I only use the most RAM when I'm using my Wacom tablet. I bought RAM when it was like $75-$85 per 16GB kit.

Attached: NotReallyNo-ButWhyNot.png (650x507, 30K)

I'm literally using a 1GB DDR2 stick.
It just werks, I only use this computer to code and play indieshit anyway.

Attached: 1512259359693.jpg (640x656, 60K)

Theres always options

Opera 12 doesn't count anymore.

If you plan on doing anything with vmware while also having a game open (like vr chat), and a couple browser windows open, you will most assuradly crash with 8gb. If you don't plan on all that at once, 8bg is fine.

/thread

My computer has 4gb ram and I want to kill myself everyday.

>thread #9348531245 where Jow Forums admits they don't use their computer for anything complex

Those two things are not related.

If that user had more RAM, he'd be able to contemplate how he's going to handle his suicidal thoughts without constantly writing back to disk though.

Anons could do that just fine with pen and paper or something.

Definitely. Android will stutter on anything less.

Yes, it's currently optimal if you want to have a PC that doesn't hang for swapping simply because web is bloated. You can still use 4GB, but going below that would be painful.

No, the websites are shitty.

if you're using linux, you could get by with 4GB, but it would only do web browsing and games that run fine on intel graphics.

Her name is Yusa Nishimori from the anime Charlotte. When she has the red eyes tho, it is technically her deceased older sister Misa Kurobane possessing her body.

If you want to use modern web browsers.

software development needs at least 8gb of ram

Depends on what you're doing. 4GB is enough for your daily browsing if you don't have constant memory leaks.

It's the minimum acceptable for any post-Win7 installation. Disregard if Linux, these can be ran at a comfy performance with just 4 gibs.

>Tfw ywn ascend to levels of being able to run functions on a stick of RAM with no other components

Or less, if you don't need all those pretty pixels. Which you wouldn't, if you actually were doing something instead of masturbating.

My workstation at work has 8GB RAM and it's fucking torture.
After all the Windows Enterprise services, security software, and all the other "management" tools our IT department installs, a fresh boot idles around 5GB RAM.

Open up Outlook for your email, Visual Studio, and Firefox for pulling up documentation, you're at 7+ GB RAM.
Plus when the Windows 10 telemetry bullshit decides to start collecting information, it'll max out memory, network, and disk making the computer unusable for several minutes at a time.

yes, even 16 isn't enough to satisfy the blood god

Attached: (((chrome))).png (786x570, 33K)

>RAM: 2355MiB / 15954MiB
I guess no, but it's nice to have. You don't need a girlfriend either but it's nice to have if it's one that will satisfy all sexual desires and keep her dumb mouth closed most of the time.

No.

Attached: IMG_20180416_222938760~2.jpg (4632x2735, 2.34M)

next time you post a 3 mb picture of your monitor I'm going to find you and slap your ass in a non sexual way
rice your tty you faggot

./+o+-
yyyyy- -yyyyyy+ OS: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
://+//////-yyyyyyo Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.15.0-22-generic
.++ .:/++++++/-.+sss/` Uptime: 3h 1m
.:++o: /++++++++/:--:/- Packages: 2540
o:+o+:++.`..```.-/oo+++++/ Shell: bash 4.4.19
.:+o:+o/. `+sssoo+/ Resolution: 5120x1440
.++/+:+oo+o:` /sssooo. DE: KDE 5.44.0 / Plasma 5.12.5
/+++//+:`oo+o /::--:. WM: KWin
\+/+o+++`o++o ++////. WM Theme: Breeze Dark
.++.o+++oo+:` /dddhhh. GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
.+.o+oo:. `oddhhhh+ Icon Theme: breeze
\+.++o+o``-````.:ohdhhhhh+ Font: Ubuntu Mono Regular
`:o+++ `ohhhhhhhhyo++os: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core @ 16x 3.8GHz [32.5°C]
.o:`.syhhhhhhh/.oo++o` GPU: GeForce GTX 960
/osyyyyyyo++ooo+++/ RAM: 781MiB / 16030MiB
````` +oo+++o\:

I could technically get 1gb upgrade

What's your browser?

Firefox Nightly

Attached: 1527556003230.jpg (640x628, 114K)

I never go over 4gb of usage
When I upgrade to 8gb I'm going to allocate 3gb to a ram disk and configure it so that firefox is loaded

You boys need to get on my leve of ram, I only use 1 bite of ram and y pc is amazing. It also has an Intel Celeron, one of the bet processors of all time, and still is better Th an any other proseccor

92KB ENOUGHT FOR ALMOST EVERETHING

Attached: wantTHIS.jpg (1416x1424, 464K)

yeah, if I alt-tab out of a game, it's super slow with 4. Not sure I need 16 though...

it just werks, i try to block as much js as possible. it only gets retarded when i watch youtube videos

what

...what

>only 8gb or ram
Fucking ramlets I swear. How do you even computer with less then 16gb?

Your reply is unhelpful
Ramdisks allow for an application to be bootable from a partition in the ram, for nearly instantaneous loading times. (this is redone every time the system boots up.)
I want that for firefox, so I'll do it when I have a bit more headroom.

b-but nani?! that's not the r-right socket!

4Gb is fine desu unless you’re retarded or want to use windows or Mac OS

>he needs more than 100MB of RAM

forgot pic

Attached: Screenshot (2).png (1920x1080, 865K)

No, 3GiB is more than plenty. This is with entire browser profile in RAM, as well as browser cache. Looking at just 1.5GiB of RAM usage if profile/cache is on-disk with 30+ open tabs.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-07_22-10-27.png (590x366, 107K)

12 BG of ram and I don't give a shit

Attached: cycle.png (543x407, 5K)

>ramlets

Attached: ljcj2CF[1].png (993x466, 27K)

I use a Windows 10 at work and it's just enough. Even on Linux, heavy web browsing is enough to push it past 4GB.

Attached: mpv-shot0018.jpg (640x480, 43K)

yes at 5000MHz

I play cities skylines and I requires 32 GB of RAM access memory for building a city and also to load up my total war battles in less than 8 minutes

4GB is enough. 8GB is better.

It's the standard for light gaming, but not much else. I've used 1-2GB of RAM for web browsing with Chrome.

>64GB RAM
>Half of it is being used
Holy shit Windows 10 is bloated

Not really. The main reason why you need 8GB of RAM today is internet and if you use Windows 10. If webdevs and OS/DE devs wouldn't be retarded we could still have times when 512mb of RAM is fucking much.

>Not utilizing your ram
How stupid are you what would be the point of having 64 GB of RAM if you didn't keep more shit in memory

>hurr hurr unused ram is wasted ram
Brainlet

Sorry you're too dumb to understand that ram is faster to access than disk backed memory? Does caching just not exist in your world?

>lintard in a state of confusion and disarray when confronted with productive work

>not having holy 5-nity
>16 thread CPU
>16 GB RAM
>16 GB vRAM
>16 TB HDD
>16 Mbps
You're not living my man.

>Is 8 gb of RAM really needed?
No, but 10 is.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-06-08_11-25-30.png (1280x1024, 255K)

That's not the point. The point is that unused RAM is not just left to act as a cache, it's taken up immediately by bloated software that was never optimised.
>hurp who cares that this text editor uses 8GB of RAM, unused RAM is wasted RAM amirite.

No, you need at least 32 to handle JavaScript

I used 16GB in 2012.
in 2015 I upgraded to 32GB.

Time to get 64GB

upgrade to 48gb

you use h264 or vp9?

This guy gets it
> I edit video and do a lot of encoding
Video and music editing for me. It's nice to have some headroom.
>I bought RAM when it was like $75-$85 per 16GB kit.
same

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-08_10-00-06.png (884x334, 60K)

That depends entirely on what software you're using CAD and GIS use a lot of memory. I believe photoshop is also a hog too but I've never used it because linux. If you want to use an IDE, you're going to use a lot of memory too. 8GB is a fine amount. The biggest question is, "is 16GB necessary." No. It's not. But who really cares? Memory is cheap. Unless you want to be autistic and minimalist, which is totally respectable, but you need to go all the way and not just complain about one thing. Your whole system better be dedicated to a minimalist lifestyle, not just your volatile memory consumption.

Attached: 1526044274188.jpg (454x455, 29K)

If you use Windows, and browse the internet then yes.

/thread

With the way both Chromium shit and Firefox shit is coded like diarrhea, and the webpage code around the web has gone down the drain under the destructive retarded hands of Indians and Women's Outreach "coders", 8GB is just enough to run 1 tab in any contemporary browser.

>Caring about memory in the day and age where it is abundant.
Just buy 32GB if you are really that worried.
8GB will get you a long way as long as you don't do anything interesting or important.

It's cuckware for one.

Is anime really needed?

Are you people in 2009 or something? You should ask yourself if you need 32 GB of RAM by now, seriously.

wuds gombuda :D

>tfw I open two dozen virtual machines at once to justify buying 40gb of ram

Case in point

No, for basic usage 4Gb is enough, i use maximum 2Gb with ton of shit open and background processes, the only software i use that can make me feel like a ramlet is Blender but i don't use it often. I usually only use 400mb max with basic softwares.
I'm not gaming anymore so i don't care.
Don't fall for the 4+Gb of RAM that's literally a jew trap.

Attached: 2018-06-08-215642_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 831K)

what's the smallest ram usage you can with
>lxde
>lxqt
>kde
>xfce
and how?

use fucking great suspender. best extension ever

For a single tab yes.
.-/+oossssoo+/-. user@Homucifer
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:` -------------
-+ssssssssssssssssssyyssss+- OS: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS x86_64
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. Host: M17xR4 A13
/ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/ Kernel: 4.13.0-43-generic
+ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+ Uptime: 7 days, 12 hours, 48 mins
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/ Packages: 2220
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Shell: bash 4.3.48
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ Resolution: 1920x1200, 1920x1080, 1600x1200
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso DE: KDE
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso WM: KWin
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+ Theme: Breeze Dark [KDE], Breeze-Dark [GTK3]
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss. Icons: Breeze-dark [KDE], Breeze-dark [GTK3]
/sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/ Terminal: konsole
+sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+ CPU: Intel i7-3820QM (8) @ 3.700GHz
/ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/ GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M
.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso. GPU: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
-+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+- Memory: 31084MiB / 32051MiB
`:+ssssssssssssssssss+:`
.-/+oossssoo+/-.

kek

Are computers really needed?

Attached: This+_0b764de6881e5283804044c7f66701a3.jpg (549x563, 172K)

>I justify being a cheap fuck

Nop. I run electromagnetic simulations at home and it uses all the RAM it can.
My laptop literally didn't work because it had only 8GB.