Hello Jow Forums, windows user here making the jump to linux...

Hello Jow Forums, windows user here making the jump to linux. From what I understand either Zorin or Mint would be the easiest transition for people like me. Which would you recommend? Also, what desktop environment?

Attached: Screenshot_20180607-202324_Firefox.jpg (1439x660, 168K)

Mint, failing that try Ubuntu Mate.

mint or mate like said
I like Xfce so I'll throw xubuntu and manjaro xfce into the mix too.

First, fuck what these idiots are talking about, get MX Linux, it's very user friendly and it doesn't use the "unauditable" init system systemd
Respect your freedom and good bless

Shut the fuck up, there's nothing wrong with the other distros, if someone's coming from Windows it won't be too alien for them and they don't have to worry as much about spending three days in the command line to please autists like you.
"Muh freedom" has it's place, but ease people in gently.

You should do your research about the distro I mentioned before flying off the handle like a jackass next time, MX advertises itself as user friendly you fucking spastic

Zorin is designed to mimic windows, but you have to pay for the full version. Linux Mint with Cinnamon is free, but there is a bit of a learning curve.

>but there is a bit of a learning curve

Sure but if OP chooses a well supported Ubuntu-based distro there is a wealth of info out there should he run into a problem.

Install Kubuntu

Mint KDE

Mint Cinnamon. I was able to theme it like Vista and I was autistically pleased.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought MX Linux included unauditable blobs.

It uses sysvinit

When I installed it in a VM it had malware(proprietary drivers) included.

better than scope creep

Nothing is unauditable, it's only harder to audit

I'm going to also recommend mint cinnamon. I'll explain why.
Mint is a beginner distro made so that you can make full use of it without ever needing to see a terminal or command line. You can, of course, use a terminal to complete many functions if you're interested in doing so, but unlike some other more advanced distros this is not required.
Cinnamon is created by the mint team and is meant to be familiar to windows users. In my opinion mint is best used along with cinnamon, since they are literally made for each other.

I would use Ubuntu with either Mate or Xfce, they can be made to resemble the gui in windows pretty closely and Ubuntu will have more up to date packages than Mint.

Systemd is technically auditable. MX Linux isn't if it includes proprietary software. Hyperbola would be a better choice. Libre, current, and no systemdicks. If you have cucked hardware then MX is probably a good choice.

Just go with Kubuntu lmao

I don't think it has any proprietary software, and that's not the issue, the issue is that systemd in it's scope, is too dangerous to rely upon, call me tinfoil but I'll stick to sysv

Also PCLinuxOS is a very good starter distro as well, kde plasma loaded in and systemd free

broadcom-sta = "unaudiatble"

Mint is not a good idea. They have several flaws and quite frankly can't manage the distro. You're better off getting Ubuntu and installing Cinnamon if you want to go this route.

>comparing drivers to an initial system with no limit in scope
Yeah ok bud

A distro isnt a desktop environment, fucking retard babbysitted by other operating systems.
Don't go with shit forks of ubuntu, you're better to go with the main one instead of another distro that brings more problems

When I asked about a systemd-free distro here, I was suggested to check out MXLinux. I did so, installed it on bare metal to check the performance as well. While I enjoyed the performance, I could not accept the fact that it installed all the proprietary stuff as well (even Adobe Flash, really?).

So what have I actually exchanged systemd for? For proprietary software? No thanks, I better have a systemd OS rather than a systemd-free but with proprietary software. It makes no sense to me.

And maybe there was a checkbox during the installation which I missed, but it was probably well hidden since I ended up installing that. There has to be a line between the two and a person has to consciously accept to install proprietary stuff.

>installing non-free software is some how worse than an init system which has it's hands in everything and is growing so large it cannot be audited
nu-Jow Forums is fucking whack

Attached: 1463633880065.gif (267x200, 729K)

RMS has no problem with systemd.

I don't use systemd or chromium but at least they aren't evil enough to hide their code (like MX Linux).

Solus is another distro that would good if it didn't include malware.