I want to acquire new display technology. Should have good colors, which means some 10-bit color depth

I want to acquire new display technology. Should have good colors, which means some 10-bit color depth.
The problem is, everywhere I look, the only 10 bit panels I'm seeing are 4k tvs, meaning that I'd have to use a 4k resolution, having only a single GTX 1080 this perhaps could be a bad idea.
On the other hand I could simply keep the monitor I'm using (Asus 144hz 1080p) and purchase that VR headset for them VRchat sessions.

The display should be reasonably big.

Suggestions?

Buying from Spain.

Attached: mini-hero-displays_2x.png (644x480, 380K)

8bit and 10bit are indistinguishable.

Get a 1440p 10bit display, dipshit.

>8bit and 10bit are indistinguishable.
Literally talking to blind people

what kind if monitor is that? isit apple imac or standalone apple monitor?

>look at any 10-bit picture of the sky
>immediately disproved

Apple Thunderbolt Display

>Apple
Into the trash it goes.

Attached: 5kishit.png (697x858, 445K)

A CRT still outperforms 10-bit LCD displays in color range and accuracy.
Unless you can afford an OLED, buy a trinitron or diamondtron. Expect to pay over $600 for the 16:10 1920x1200 one. There are places that use them still.

not completely indistinguishable, but you do have to look /really/ close at anything dithered
here's a sky, smoothed the fuck out to make sure banding is as noticeable as possible (camera noise hides banding pretty well)

ahem, here's a sky

Attached: a.png (1920x1080, 1.47M)

Not really a good example. Just go outside and take a screenshot of the sky right now if you want a better example of banding.

>take a screenshot
>of the sky
>at 11pm, in my case
good plan.

I'm just saying you literally have the worst example of banding that I've ever seen for something that's incredibly easy to get an example of.

not a good example my ass, it has large, 'shallow' gradients, and is an 8bpc image, so no cheating possible
tell me how visible the bands are

that's not an example of banding, it's an example of how minor the difference between 8 and 10bpc is, and that banding isn't an 8bpc issue

>banding isn't an 8bpc issue
>t. somebody that's never looked at a picture of the sky or a picture with any shadows

i've seen plenty of pictures with banding, but that's not what i'm talking about

look, since we're not quite on the same page, let me explain
the sky image above we can agree has at least very difficult to see banding, right? yet it's an 8bpc image, like all the rest of the horribly banded images, so what does that tell you? the issue lies elsewhere

That's a fake sky, look at the clouds

it's a photograph which i've smoothed out
if you think it looks like an anime, that's because this is what anime do

OK why the fuck would you smooth a picture out if you want to talk about banding and how little there is in 8bit?

because if the fact that it's 8bit is the issue, smoothing it out should not help at all
so the question is, does my 8bit image look smooth to you?

Do this one.

Attached: 2nd.png (1750x2000, 2.17M)

what i'm doing isn't magic, you know
missing information is missing information, to create a dithered downsample, you need more samples than the final target, which is why i had to smooth the sky picture out, i don't have any high bitdepth images to start with, so i made one through gaussian interpolation (blurring it)
the only reason it was easy with the sky one, is because i didn't care if i blew away most of the actual image detail as well, which is why it looks like an oil painting

thank you so much

this does not and will not stop me buying my 5k imac dipshit poorfag

If you're not poor then buy the Dell 8k 10-bit panel. It's the best consumer display in the world and it doesn't use some rinky dink 8-bit dithering shit like the iMac.

There is no point of buying a high end LCD. Either go for an OLED display for slightly more or go home.

KYS

Honestly man I have a GTX 1080 and I run 4k just fine with a single 1080. But lets say you're running top of the line games, you can still run 4k by turning down a few graphics intensive settings that offer little to know visual difference and have 60fps.