/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1513095419969.png (548x476, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-screenshot-template
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution#Comparison
wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros_AR9271
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Threadly reminder to not pick a distro solely based on what's popular on distrowatch.

Attached: 1516244660977.png (1200x1486, 230K)

It's not a disproof you worthless piece of shit. K is natural, it's written in first line.

How is OpenBSD?

It's systemd/linux.

While popularity is not a proof of quality, it is an indicator.

Attached: debian.jpg (1280x720, 181K)

That's why Windows is so popular.

Is there an alternative to lib openssl that is guaranteed to be on any GNU OS?

Attached: 1526578723056.png (462x347, 193K)

gnutls?

libressl?

Is it on every GNU OS though? gnutls doesn't seem stable and libressl has a bsd style license

The more people that use it the better chance you can find a fix for your problem. I could usually find a fix for when I used Xubuntu. While I say that, I can't seem to find fixes for the couple of issues I have with Manjaro. So not always true, but it can be a possibility.

I don't think any TLS is guaranteed to be on a system. As far as I know the only thing even cryptography related that's guaranteed to be there is old crypt() function because it's POSIX.

>Is it on every GNU OS though?
You can't accurately say that /every/ GNU OS has any software other than that which defines a GNU OS. Portage tells me that gnutls is a dependency of several common applications and utilities like wpa_supplicant, wine, and ffmpeg, so most GNU/Linux systems probably have it. I personally do not have libressl installed.

Also why does it even matter?

How do you generate (secure) passwords on the cli?

You generate them in your brain; your portable random phrase generator.

$ cat /dev/urandom

>urandom
>secure

So I switched my distro to Kubuntu after getting a 4k monitor and everything looks like it was made for ants including all fonts and icons. How do I fix this?

By switching the scaling in settings dude.

Looking for a music player with either VST support or a good number of included effects.
Most important
>Playback rate shift

Thanks

Hits on distrowatch != Number of users

Is there any distro running Gnome that isn't so unstable/laggy?

Whatever problems you're having, it's probably because you're using Gnome.

Gnome is so good but so unstable.
I really like the botnet integration.

Fuck off shilling faggot, I bet some stupid fall for the bait.

I fucking hate Gnome but since I use Ubuntu everything else breaks (XFCE, KDE, Buggie whatever)

Then just use Mint and you will be find. It doesn't break as often, if at all

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-screenshot-template

I'm not sure how do I need to apply this to my mpv.conf that is in .config/mpv..

I wrote --screenshot-template=%F and it didn't work.

Attached: 1504776634536.png (1390x450, 95K)

What is the name of that youtuber that Jow Forums likes?
His name is something "dura", I guess.
He jokes about 420.

remove the --

I found a way.

The formatting needs to be inside " "

like "%F"

not %F

What is the endgame distro? Gentoo?

whatever gets the fucking job done. Once you reached this distro and mindset, you reached the end of the road.

If your question is which distro you should ultimately end up using, then yes, the answer is Gentoo.

Librebooted Thinkpad running a GNU/Linux-libre distro like Parabola is a good goal to set if you need one.

From a learning POV yes, gentoo is pretty close. Even LFS doesn't teach you much more. At this point you've started programming anyway.

>ftw linux libre doesn't like my wifi

buy an atheros usb wifi dongle

Just get one of these.

Attached: tehnoetic-n150-mini-wifi-adapter-back-500x500.png (500x500, 281K)

Will check out, ty

I have been trying to run the BB ascii art demo, but it always freezes and stays like in pic related, with the music sounding.
I searched around and apparently it isn't compatible with pulse audio.
I have tried pausing, stopping and even uninstalling pulseaudio, and it still does the same.

What can I do? I am running Arch.

Attached: RPhIP.png (640x444, 22K)

True but it's somewhat of an indication.

>sudo apt install agp
>apg -s -a 1 -m 63 -n 4

Is Sabayon, Gentoo?

Essentially but it's not as good as Gentoo I hear.
Calculate is also Gentoo and seems to beat Sabayon in many respects.

The Manjaro wiki hasnt helped me all that much, but for the few months that Ive been using it for, the arch wiki had pretty much everything that was not related to a package update

What have you had an issue with? I'm getting random disconnects with internet and some programs seem to freeze. I don't think either wiki can help me with those.

is there a list of libre wifi dongles?

my lenovo has a broadcom chipset that Id like to get rid off

Use openssl

Cant nail anything in that regard, but since I fully switched from Windows to Linux overnight without prior knowledge, the arch wiki has guided me.

Is your network wireless or wired connection? Have you tried a different network manager? I replaced the networkmanager package that comes with Manjaro with WICD for wireless.
Also are you running on a laptop or a desktop?

>dongles
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I've only ever owned one laptop and I bought it in 2009. Are removable wifi cards a thing of the past?

Pretty much. The only reason you'd want one of these is if you wanted to use non-proprietary drivers. For instance anyone using Linux Libre. Built-in wifi cards won't work so you have to get a special completely non-proprietary wifi dongle. (not just any will do, there are only a few places to get ones like that)

>Are removable wifi cards a thing of the past?
They pretty much are.
My lenovo is a pretty thick model with 17 inch screen and it doesnt have one anymore.

The built in wifi works on the bigger distros, but its proprietary and what really bums me about it, is that alpine linux doesnt work with it

I have a Dell XPS and I removed my Killer wifi card from it and replaced it with Intels.

Bought it last year.

Reposting.

Which is the best option for ZFS?
I know ZOL doesn't have native encryption so I figured there's three options.

Things to note:
1. blockdevice = hdd/flashdrives/ect

2.ecryptfs is file/directory ty encryption and runs in FUSE so it's slower.

3.LUKS is container based encryption so it's better at privacy

4.In theory I'm assuming that option 3. would result in possible ZFS integrety failure because of the seperating layer from the block device.

In theory optuion 1. and 2. retain the ZFS integrety.
Options:
1. blockdevice->vdev->zpool->zVol->LUKS->dataset

2.blockdevice->vdev->zpool->ecryptf->dataset

3.blockdevice->LUKS->vdev->zpool->dataset

What would you all suggest?
Also if I'm wrong in my theory of option 3. losing zfs integrety let me know.

Thanks.

Best minimal install distro?
Debian, Arch, Gentoo, and Ubuntu are all out of the question.

And why isn't arch minimal?

There is no best distro. That's why there's more than one distro.

Arch is minimal. I said that it was out of the question though, i'm gay and can't install it.

Okay. Well what would you personally suggest then?

If you are technically unable to install Arch, use Anarchy Linux (formerly called "Arch Anywhere".
It's basically Arch Linux with a guided/graphical installation. It lets you select the initial packages so it shouldn't install more than a standard Arch unless you tell it to.

No, I know how to install Arch, I know it like the back of my hand, but the device i'm trying to install it on is having problems with it, so I need something else.

>what would you personally suggest then?
I would suggest having a look at Wikipedia's comparison of lightweight Linux distros, picking a few that seem like they might suit your application, and trying them out in virtual machines.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution#Comparison

You obviously have some requirements other than "minimal". You can't expect us to pick a distro that meets them if you won't tell us what they are.

puppy linux or Knoppix

Then this Have only tried Puppy, personally.

> minimal
for what purpose? Compared to windows or macOS any distro, even a full bloated KDE spin is "minimal/lightweight“. Why people keep asking fir lightweight distros? Urg

To run GaNOOh plus Loonix on their LibreToaster.

GuixSD, NixOS, or some future variant of the declarative system concept.

bullshit
kde creeps along on harware that runs windows just fine
gnome is a kde wannabe at this point
gnome-shell is ok
xfce not lightweight either
lxde is a fucking joke

Those systems will the be future (lets hope). Through I guess NixOS will win the race b/c blobs people want/need.

> Those systems will the be future (lets hope). Through I guess NixOS will win the race b/c blobs people want/need.
on the other hand there's systemd

The future is GNU/Hurd with GUIX package manager and Shepherd init system.

>GuixSD, NixOS, or some future variant of the declarative system concept.
Why?

Lubuntu vs Xubuntu. Which is lighter?

>impying the majority cares or even knowns what systemd is

>install Gentoo they said
>USB install media doesn't work
>use cdrom
>keyboard and mouse can't be detected

what a piece of shit

More like GNU/ButtHurt ahahahshs

hurd is as big a joke as reactos
in development for decades and still not a single stable usable release

LXDE is lighter than XFCE, so it'd be Lubuntu if the DE is the only difference.

i like the lxde

Is Void any good?

It's wired right now but I'll probably switch to wireless for reasons. It's a desktop. I can try changing the network manager once I get home and mess with a few other things. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well there's a reason for it: It's not a priority project since there's linux-libre. Only few people actually work on Hurd and only in their free time for fun.

>hurd is da futah
>you can't expect it to be stable since it's only a hobby for a few devs
make up your mind

kek
i fell for many memea before but im never fallling for that one

>da futah
>futah
>futa
Hurd sounds hot. Sign me up. :^)

wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros_AR9271
It's one of the chips that works with free software.

seq 100|sed 5~5cBuzz|sed 3~3s/[^B]*/Fizz/

Attached: 281f472d8ce6847ab2de46778c2fce595adb8fd55b69508f84437dcd961c0d80.png (450x338, 197K)

Why should I use Debian over arch

wtf

obvious shop is obvious

You shouldnt

i have the same problem actually, i need a distro for my first programming job and i cant decide between arch and debian

gimp*

G E N T O O

Microkernels are the future.
The more stuff in userspace the more sysadmins can tailor on their own.

Otherwise you need to be a programmer with compiling skills to get certain kernel features.

>Also if I'm wrong in my theory of option 3. losing zfs integrety let me know.
You are. ZFS just sees a block device that it can read from and write to. dm-crypt just sits in between and translates those reads and writes to and from encrypted form before they hit the physical disk. If the disk coughs up incorrect data, it'll decrypt as garbage and ZFS will say "Oh shit, that can't be right" and you'll get a checksum error and the data rebuilt from redundancy and all that nice stuff.

Now one thing to watch out for is that the LUKS header will be outside what ZFS can see. So if you happen to have a failure that corrupts it, then you lose the drive, as far as ZFS is concerned. (since you've lost the keys that let LUKS read it) Now the chance of getting corruption there without the drive dying for real is miniscule, but if you're concerned about it, you have two options. One is to keep a backup of the LUKS header. Keep it wherever you keep your encryption keys. Two is to just say "Well, if that happens, I have enough redundancy in the vdev to withstand losing the drive until I zero out the LUKS header, create a new one, and resilver back onto the disk".

Also if your encrypted partitions aren't unlocked somehow at boot/login (through /etc/crypttab or the like) you may have to whack ZFS on the nose and say "don't try to import this pool automatically as soon as you start", which ZFS, by default, wants to do. Or tell your init system to only start ZFS's services after whatever it is that unlocks the encrypted disks has finished.