Autism

When you buy a brand new HDD, you asume it's safe to install an OS, or do you run something like Secure Erase first? or a 3 pass US DoD?

Attached: epic ass.jpg (640x640, 133K)

I assume it's safe. 1+TB drives take too much time to blank.
When I'm about to throw a drive away, I do erase them (1 random pass + 1 blanking pass).

BBBBBRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPP

how long does it take to run secure erase?

Are you talking about the ATA Secure Erase command or an actual overwriting run (using dd, shred, dban or nwipe for example) ?

Imagine being Arnold in that scene and having to be all like "damn, Jamie Curtis, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your tight body and horrific androgynous monster face. I would totally have sex with you, both my character and the real me." when all he really wants to do is fuck another 16 year old in his dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be Arnold and not only sit in that chair while Jamie Lee Curtis flaunts her disgusting body in front of you, the favorable lighting barely concealing her stretchmarks and leathery skin, and just sit there, take after take, hour after hour, while she perfected that dance. Not only having to tolerate her monstrous fucking visage but her haughty attitude as everyone on set tells her she's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, JAMIE LEE CURTIS LOOKS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch her mannish fucking gremlin face contort into types of grimaces you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of blondes and supermodels and later alleged rape victims for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in Austria. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on her dimpled stomach as she sucks it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in her "statuesque (for that is what she calls herself)" beauty, the beauty she worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous months. And then the director calls for another take, and you know you could kill every single person in this room before the studio security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking Arnold. You're not going to lose your future political career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

Im not sure

whatever this does (pic related)

its supposed to be the best in deleting any previous data right?

Attached: DiskEraser.png (451x383, 41K)

Teens are technology

Attached: Ufe9Agp.jpg (768x1024, 133K)

Plug it in and do a full extended health test with the manufacturer supplied tools.

If you don't you are retarded.

Can't you just put the new OS on it and it automatically fixes everything?

As long as it's not Seagate or WD it's safe to use.

Attached: 1526761289482.jpg (830x468, 22K)

MOAAAAAAAAAARRRRR

lol

Attached: d09.png (825x738, 73K)

>Internal: Secure Erase
If I remember correctly, this is required to properly erase an SSD, because of controller fuckery (mostly compression).
HDDs can be directly overwritten. In fact I've never used Secure Erase on a HDD. I usually do 1 pass of random data + 1 pass of zeroes.

10/10

When I get a HDD it's safe to install my OS. I write over it with /dev/urandom because LUKS leaks less information that way.

mmmmmm... oh yes, fill my filthy gullet with your elegant gasses.*SNIFFFF* delightful, truly delightful*BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP*
OH.. I peed a little dearie, please do it a bit less aggressively, *SNIFF* *SNIFF*

snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my dear....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...eggs I smell?......sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my darling....sniff....quite pungent eggs yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my dear....sniff...but of yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dear....another if you please....nice a big now....

BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF

Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my dear....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my darling.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my dear....ah yes....let me guess...curry for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well curry......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....onion and garlic chutney I take it my dear?.....hmmmmm....yes quite.....

BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT

Oh I was not expecting that…that little gust my dear….you caught me off guard…yes…so gentle it was though…hmmmm…let me taste this little one…just one small sniff…..sniff…ah….ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff…and yet…so strong…yes…the odor….sniff sniff…hmmm….is that….sniff….hmmm….I can almost taste it my dear…..yes….just…sniff….a little whiff more if you please…..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff…ah yes I have it now….yes quite….hhhhmmmm…delectable my dear…..quite exquisite yes…..I dare say…sniff….the most pungent one yet my dear….ssssnnnnniiiifffffffffffffffffffffff….yes…

Imagine actually being this attractive

Imagine being straight

WHY

hot

see:

You're fucking the drive over by shredding it, dumbass, especially if it's a fresh new HDD with literally nothing on it

fucking genius 10/10 should become a writer but layy off with the womyn hate a little

based brapp poster. fuck the SJW mods for deleting it.

right.

It is super hard to wrap my head around why anyone would have the need for a zero fill on a brand new disk, much less a random pass then a zero fill... that is just fucking retarded.
Short SMART test -Yes, Extended test - sure, why not. ... zero fill - There is no information on the disk so NO.
>DoD
holy fuck... you have gone fucking mad and need your ID card revoked

step 1. "Is there any information on the disk?" if yes --> go to step 2. if no --> write to the disk

step 2. "Do I work in Healthcare?" "did I have to sign an NDA before I touched this disk?" if yes --> random pass then zero fill then drill through platters then cert of destruction if no --> one pass is needed doesn't matter if it's a random or zero or ones then repurpose hdd.

>tfw not chad
whatsa surefire way tokillmyself?

is it me or they look dumber than a piece of rock?

>1 pass of zeroes.
isnt that what secure erase does? just write 00000000

for FDE with Veracrypt is it needed to do anything or you just buy it and the built in 3-pass US DoD wipe built-in in the Veracrypt FDE process is enough?

Attached: boobss.gif (600x338, 2.54M)

>trusting HDDs even if brand new
>not doing a 3pass wipe before full disk encryption irrespective of what was inside before

Newfag here. Is the idea of wiping a new drive a failsafe in case the manufacturer has some kind of spyware on the drive?

Is this common practice for non-DoD folks?

cute whore

alright, i'm generaly not that kind of guy, but right now a man need a name

its a meme
anything more than a quick format is a waste of time when setting up a drive
anything more than a single pass erase is a waste of time when getting rid of a drive

yea where's the sauce?

If you're really worried you have to assume the case where firmware is infected and the drive saves data to a secret sector you can't access normally. (real example found in the wild, i don't remember which companies though)

If you ain't then you can also skip the deletion step before installing anything. Writing the entire hd over 3 times after use is sufficient when your scenario is selling it online to other people as some might try to find sensitive data. Realistically that's your usecase.

>133 KB

i don't get it

but muh NSA can recover 35 guttman passed, secure erased, smashed with a hammer, iron waved HDDS!!

>If you're really worried you have to assume the case where firmware is infected and the drive saves data to a secret sector you can't access normally. (real example found in the wild, i don't remember which companies though)

>mfw decryption pass is stored there

holy shit

what are those?

Attached: pp123.jpg (229x220, 13K)

I'm a grill.

What ever you say user.

Her name is Sabrina Nichole you hyperfags.

>classic case of girls having an uglier friend to make themselves look better
lol

can I BBQ my meat on you?

are you black?

>Ugly girl can only get niggers and vice versa

no, but i can use face paint

I only date blacks. Sorry sweethearth. Keep thinking i'm ugly though, i hope that helps your seething mind.

no

>Implying I'm the same user
>Implying I'm missing out on anything
Yeah I'm that Jow Forums guy

newfag here, to delete files I use Gutmann

>I only date blacks. Sorry sweethearth. Keep thinking i'm ugly though, i hope that helps your seething mind.
did you lose your dildo? if you're that desperate for sex just go out in some hood and you'll get all the nigger love you seek.

that girl goes to my school.

no, she goes to my school

she is my sister, im a guy and my ass is bigger

She really is ugly huh? She looks like that one spook working for CNN or whatever

>When you buy a brand new HDD
why do that when you can get flawless 2tb used for like $30? i would buy ssd new though.

why not a used SSD?

No one knows how long the ssd has left.

Attached: feh_001578_000018_00006095.jpg (1920x1080, 188K)

imagine being a hot grill with a tight bod and getting fucked my a muscular chad...

Imagine casting her in a sillicon mold, then fire her, then make a copy or the only part that matters (her body), add a metal skeleton, electronic brain, vagina sensors and fuck her.

This is so fucking rare it might as well be a fantasy.

... what is rare about that?

>zero fill - There is no information on the disk so NO.
You should do it at least once (plus a read back) just to let the drive access every single sector to detect problems.
Early deaths of hard drives can be triggered this way and you might get it replaced without having to go through the hassle of an RMA.

Do not trust hard drives by default; they are getting more and more sensitive and there are no consistently good manufacturers anymore, plus packages are thrown around during delivery all the fucking time.

Test it when you get it, run extended tests periodically and/or use some monitoring program (HDSentinel/smartd/...).
If you think this is paranoia you haven't lost terabytes of data (yet), or you have a phenomenal backup system; I'm leaning on the former.

first off, i'd like you know that i reported your posts
secondly, i'd implore anyone in this thread who actually thinks this is remotely attractive to fucking go outside. literally, go outside. anywhere almost. i see better looking women at the grocery store. any shopping mall. any cardio-bunny "gym" i've been in (planet fitness, crunch, etc). any yoga session at my job (yeah, wednesday mornings...most guys dont go, most female employees do...) my last boss looked better than them. my last (college aged, mods. 20+) lab techs looked better than them.

if you think this is beautiful i'd think you've only seen 40+ year old "Nurses" or government workers. There was even a hot young lady with a tighter ass and better face, smile, and tits, at the staples I walked into 2 days ago. Then again her ass was probably tighter because of the outfit. But the bottom line is that you can find better than these 6/10 at best anywhere women are, from your local library to the nearest Chili's.

By far the best post in the thread.

I run Darik's "boot and nuke" (DBAN) and that's good enough for me because I don't find these disgusting pigs attractive, so you won't find any illegal images of underaged horses on my new HDD.

i would fug you

Advanced recovery techniques can cause the HDD to read 'ghost' data in between tracks. Usually has to replace the HDD on-drive controller to be able to micro-move the head(s) to off-track locations...

>Teens are technology

Attached: 1528522599598.jpg (680x543, 39K)

I wouldn't bother erasing a new HDD, partly because it most likely doesn't have any data on it (not my personal data anyway), and partly because the entire HDD will be overwritten a good number of times over its lifetime. I do check the health stats tho, and always use full disk encryption, because it makes my data practically unrecoverable, so I can safely throw it away even if it is fucked mechanically, which would prevent me from doing a secure erase. I haven't thrown away an HDD before, but I would do a few random and zero passes if I were to get rid of it, just to be sure.

they wear out a little differently and in my limited experience are more prone to sudden failure so the warranty helps.

those two look the same without makeup.

I first zero out the entire disk.

tfw no gf

but how do we know manufacturers arent putting malware on places that cannot be deleted that will store your veracrypt pass or decryption hash or something?

delusional

I backup important files, store some important files elsewhere that is backed up. No point testing new HDD as long as things work normally.

what are some good testing programs to see if the new HDD is defective?

Attached: hugetits.jpg (1080x1246, 112K)