My 10+ year old motherboard finally went bust...

My 10+ year old motherboard finally went bust. I'm a little sad given that I had no problems at all and no need to upgrade. Now it seems like I either have to replace the board or get a whole new mobo/CPU/ram combo.

Replacing just the board seems stupid given it's $100 for a P5K Deluxe.

Getting a new mb/cpu/ram would be fine if I didn't have to reinstall Win7.

Can I upgrade to a relatively modern build without reinstalling my current Win7, or should I not bother and find some way to get my old build running?

Attached: Asus-P5K-Deluxe-WiFi-AP.jpg (2614x2151, 732K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/P7HkLJ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

get kaby lake, since coffe lake is already out and kaby lake is cheaper

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (800x800, 63K)

i was about to reply to get a ryzen build, lmao

>and no need to upgrade.
What kinda work did you even do on that old thing, OP kun?.

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1920x1080, 85K)

If you live in montreal, I have a standard p5k i could give :D

Web browsing, watching 1080p, plex, and recently some VM stuff but not much. It was overclocked from 2.4 -> 3.6ghz.

I do not and I think the standard P5K wouldn't work for me as it doesn't have AHCI (I have two SSDs).

Paragon Adaptive Restore.

Ah, thanks, will try that. Would you bother booting it without that just to see if it will work?

The standard P5K does support AHCI

I just upgrade my PC with that few days ago, from Phenom II X4 to Ryzen.
But beware though, you might find yourself a trouble if your new mobo only got USB 3.0 ports.

Is this with a bios update or custom mod? I read that you need ICH9R for AHCI support, but some were reporting doing AHCI on ICH9 with a custom BIOS.

Did you try booting to the Ryzen before using Adaptive Restore?

Yes, I did try that without Adaptive Restore. And it fail to boot.
Well you might try booting without it to see if you need the Adaptive Restore, but I'm sure you need that if you change your major component.

I used a core2due overclocked to 4.5ghz from 2008-2017

if you play pubg or dayz or battlefield there is no real gaming reason to get new hardware.

there might be huge jumps in cpu and gpu in the next 2 years making every thing you can buy now even the top end stuff useless and maybe even incompatable.

its a bad time to buy hardware imo unless you really want to play some specific unoptimized stuff.

intelGPU will be out in 2020
intel has obviously been holding back technology developments for the past 7 years they defiantly have some thing huge stored that they will put in production.

this era reminds me of just before the core processors came out.

*unless you want to play pubg or dayz or battlefield there is no real reason to upgrade all other games today still run fine on late 2000s cpu hardware.

Wow what made you drop it in 2017? And what did you upgrade to?

GPU developments are less important for my purposes. I barely do any gaming. The only GPU-related task I had difficulty with was playing some H265 content, but not sure if that was related to my hardware (H265), maybe I just set up MPC-HC poorly.

hardware (8800 GTS)*

You have to upgrade unless you buy a low end board. Aftermarket prices on shit even like lga1150 boards is stupid expensive. I see mid-range boards for 200 bucks used..

ryzen will force intel to release some CPU they have been holding onto for literaly years and years it will come out in 2019-2020

intel is showing off a test model if its PCI gpu at the start of 2019 and will probably come out in 2020 in time with their new processors.

people who have i7 and 1080s atm might hate to hear this but that shit might literally be incompatible with games that come out in 2021 etc.

once intel reveals crazy new shit Epic and Valve and other companys will start to create crazy new engines and games in 2021 might literally be incompatable with i7 and 1080 etc. same thing happened in the 2000s amd court up with intel and then afue years later intel released shit that just decimated AMD for like 5 years then they sorta court up again in 2011 and where decimated again and only court up again in 2017.. intel will release some thing that decimates AMD again in a year or 2. and we will have another 5 years of these new intel cpus being literally required to run any thing and amd might catch up again in 2024.

its just how it goes. its a shit time to buy hardware if I was building a computer today I would buy like cheapest stuff possible that still runs every thing. because it wont be long until you have to upgrade.

I fell for pubg meme thou and got a 1000$ computer in 2017 before ryzen came out and sorta regret it now... I thought ryzen would be shit but its clearly good enough to make intel release insane top secret shit they been holding onto for half a decade.

BTW, my brother mobo went bust too. Replace it with my old mobo, not the same model, work well without Adaptive Restore.

pcpartpicker.com/list/P7HkLJ

I would personally go for 8GB but for the little bit you do you'll be fine with 4 even.

I droped it in 2017 for pubg and I got a 7600k and a 1060 at first then returned 1060 and got a second hand 980 for CRT support.

semi regret it wish I had saved my 1000$ for another 2 years. if I had waited 6months I could have just played fortnight on my core2duo and lasted longer.

but pubg was fun maybe it was worth it.

my core2duo ran bf4 at 45+ fps and bf1 at 30+ fps with extensive config edits but I was playing pubg at launch and it was running at like 24-27 fps so I sorta had to upgrade. also switched from 60hz to a 120hz crt around this time so the extra framerate didn't hurt.

still sorta disappointed I didn't survive longer I like making the most out of my hardware. and in highnsight imo I upgraded at a bad time.

only game it struggled with from 2008-2017 was dayz but I just played warz instead

you're wrong, it's more like when the original Athlon came out.. can't expect you youngfags to remember those days though.

lesson learned- you're an idiot. Anyone who looked at Ryzen's design could've figured it was going to be a good competitor. Sorry you ended up with a system that's slower than mine.. sure wish I had bought a GPU when you did though!

>pcpartpicker.com/list/P7HkLJ
yer imo get some thing like this cheap and will last you until its wroth spending big bucks on some thing worthwhile.

I literally had a orginal AthlonXP I get what your saying that processor was good for like 5 years but I disagree intel has some secret shit just wait and see.

Yea that's what I'm considering though, just to not have to upgrade for a few more years.

I think something like a P5K-E or Gigabyte P35 boards of this era would be in the $50 range and probably same features.

Thanks for this data point

Thanks. Is there any point to getting 2GB or 4GB DIMMs to have extra slots available for later?

What did the original Athlon do? I had an XP 2100+ before this but don't remember what was going on in Intel vs. AMD at that time.

what system do you have? I run my 7600k at 5.3ghz

Athlon came out after intel fucked up thou

Ryzen came out after intel has been ahead for over a decade.

diferent situation imo. intel clearly has been holding onto stuff and just releasing simple revisions while ahead.

in 2000s they where desperate so took them 6 years to decimate AMD in 2018 they had over a decade to plan a dramatic comeback incase they loose top spot.

which is great if you're maxed out at four threads. But for real work I have twice as many cores as you do and my shit's air cooled. 1800x here.

Only if Intel really holding a secret weapon, meanwhile I enjoyed the age of Ryzen.

intel was still ahead of AMD for a whole decade. Then the Pentium 4 sucked and the Athlon 64 beat them to the market. Ryzen is bringing us back to the time of the original Athlon in a way, coffee lake is balls.

Oh man I hope this doesn't happen to my Asus P5Q, I need it to last until next year when I'll go with a Zen 2.
My rig is also 10+ years now, both my original HDDs have failed, but everything else is running strong.

wasn't intels last major architecture change in like 2011 thou. I don't think coffee lake counts as P4. they intentionally keeping things boring and sameish. but yer if they don't have some secret big dick weapon to release then your right but I think that's unlikely you don't dial it in for 7 years unless your holding onto some thing.

mmm "real work" you are obviously a gamer.

but hey good luck with your content creation career maybe you will edit like 1movie every 6months that will get 15views I'm sure it will count in that situation.

Nah you should be fine. Mine was just a bad coincidence - the pushpin fastener on the top heatsink must have popped out, the heatsink came off on one side, and the chips underneath it basically fried instantly.

Just make sure none of your heatsinks are hanging half-way off, lol.

How did your HDDs fail? I've had about 5 running for 10 years now as well.

i mean my youtube benis is bigger than your yourtube benis

no, they're stuck. We've reached the end of the line for Core-based CPUs. If they could've made it faster, they would've.

>mfw still running an AsRock G965M-S in my main computer.

pls don't die on me yet

Attached: g965.jpg (587x378, 58K)

Make that picture with a rampage III extreme and a x5675 overclocked with a bit more sweating due to having zero money for a new computer due to insane family hospital bills and that's me.

Get an used mobo that's the same socket that yours, so you can replace only the mobo without re-installing.

If you'll get a new mobo/cpu/ram combo, then good luck if your new shit works with Win7

why would they have released a new architecture if they didn't need to thou?

the idea they have been stuck for a decade is abit daft. RND for intel has had a decade to come up with some thing new the likelihood they found some thing and didn't release it is pretty high imo.

Attached: sweaty.jpg (1680x1050, 951K)

idknow intel will probably release a new architecture in 2019-2020 that they have been working on for literally 13 years. AMD could rush some thing out they have been working on for 3 years but I doubt it would be ready. Intel literally has a decade advantage in RnD. I don't get why you guys think they would have released it in the 2010s when they had no reason to they already sold CPUs for the last ten years at the max price possible. they wouldn't just release it "because they could"

Thanks anony.

Attached: 1519512079495.gif (300x259, 2.19M)

What kinda work do you do that requires the latest hardware?
>inb4 gaymz