Are 4k movies worth buying or is physical media obsolete ?

are 4k movies worth buying or is physical media obsolete ?

Attached: SOL-5527-4k-movies-page-rev.png (782x289, 379K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/VORKE-HDMI-Switch-4k2k-60Hz/dp/B0725VS4DF
realorfake4k.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Better quality than downloading. Also you "own" the movies, so you wont lose them should whatever service you use go broke, or your computer gets blown up.

How do I play the 4k pirate rips faggots my PS4 doesn't like them

>Trusting digital media distribution
Good goy.

do you recommend an xbox one s ($200 starting june 10th) as a 4k blue ray player ? was thinking of getting a ps4 pro but it doesn't play 4k disks fuck

shouldn't it play H.264/MPEG-4 ?

If you can get one discounted, then its more or less the most value for money media player you can get.
4k HDR bluray, dolby atmos, VLC, XBMC, netflix, youtube, whatever. Even if you dont use it for games, its value for pure media functions.

PS4 and PS4 pro doesn't support x265 playback.

>Better quality than downloading
Why not just download the 4k remux?
Pic related

Attached: 2018-06-08 19_36_51.png (449x970, 88K)

UHD blurays are x265 encoded

so what does?

Movies today suck so hard
Propaganda narratives are ramped up way too high
Why even invest in quality versions when they are unwatchable anyway?

At the high bitrates of a UHD remux, you pretty much need an HTPC.

The newer the platform the better.

As far as I know the xbox one X should be technically capable, but doesn't allow direct playback without a UHD disc for whatever reason.

So if you want to buy discs, Xbox.

If you want to download remuxes for free, get a fast enough HTPC.

Funny how the ps4 is a worse games console (shit CPU) and htpc than a 12 year old ps3

do you think the PS3 could playback x265?

>50gb remuxes are the excuse "quality" private trackers use to excuse shitty bit starved rips
JUST GET THE REMUX HURP DURP

Only real benefit to the physical discs is they don't take up as much space on the hard drive.
These 20 movies alone are about 1TB.

Wanna post your actual complaint or just gonna act like a retard some more?

Attached: 2018-06-08 19_39_05.png (540x294, 27K)

what about a roku ultra ? the specs mention this Video codecs: H.264/AVC , HEVC/H.265 , VP9

best 4k blu ray optical drive for pc, possibly slim?

I think so. But only when you can get them at £10-£12.50.
£20 right now is a bit too much. £15 (usually via 2 for £30) is ok but only if the movie is something worth keeping.
Like Blade Runner? That's one of the best damn 4k films I've watched so far. Really great audio mastering, and film restoration. Clean enough not to hamper the visuals and create "rubber face effect" something like Predator's blu ray version had, or Terminator 2's bad UHD recolouring and denoising.
Visually it looks wider than 1080p blu ray, and a little sharper. 1080p on a good player (mine's a Panasonic), upscaled looks great as long as the TV has ok HDR rendering but very good RGB colour rating.
But it's the audio that adds ontop. With a good speaker set up it sounds amazing. No lie. Dolby Atmos 7.1 or DTS:X or 5.1 equivalent is no joke. Even downscaled to standard DTS and Dolby on an older analogue speaker set via an SPDIF cable it sounds fantastic.
It feels close to the cinema experience.

>banding and blurred rips are not an actual complaint
k bro, enjoy your remux

>roku ultra
Should be okay. But might depend how you're getting the file onto the roku.

I know Plex has issues with 4k remuxes, if it's not 8 bit x265 then it gets transcoded to x264, which is very CPU intensive.

However, 10bit remuxes are by far the most common, so most of the remuxes I have wont playback through plex.

it's a remux, they're not doing anything to the rip besides putting into an MKV container.

Blame the studios for poor mastering

I will be playing the file via an external hdd or flash drive that will be plugged into the roku ultra

Just get a player. Cheap one, like a Panasonic UB-300 or 400. Depends on what connections you need.
The problem you have with PC drives, is its hard to get drives that can play the content without ripping them first. The ones that do are expensive, AND you have to get something like PowerDVD on top.

Thats a good way to kill a flash drive.

external HDD would be okay.

okay so the roku ultra only has problems playing the files if it's streamed right ? I would just be using a flash drive untill i save up for an externall hdd.

100TB of harddrive space is astronomically cheaper than 2000 blurays

Yea, should be fine assuming it can handle 50-60mbps read speed (shouldn't be an issue for any decent flash drive)

amazon.com/VORKE-HDMI-Switch-4k2k-60Hz/dp/B0725VS4DF
This little 4 way HDMI box has been a real help to me so far. Particularly that optical out. Good for a sound bar or speaker system.

Buy the physical media and rip it to a format that is compatible with all your devices is the way to go.

Attached: 1528418292581.jpg (720x576, 38K)

Or download the remux and do the same thing?

or download a reenc because you probably can't into encoding anyway

encoding isn't exactly difficult to do.

Especially if you're not trying to squeeze every last bit out of it.

Just RarBG it senpai (until they stop making them)

Blu rays will survive the EMP. Not sure that anything that could play them will though...

>watching a (((hollywood))) movie

Attached: 1510300826641 2.png (554x668, 19K)

>paying for movies

Attached: 1494444682940.jpg (484x382, 21K)

i always thought it wasn't worth it simply because movies aren't shot in 35mm anymore and all movies being shot today are shot in 2k or at least the special effects are shot in 2k.
so whats the point in watching a 4k movie if the source is only 2k.

Some movies are shot at higher than 2k. afaik red has an 8k camera.

yeah but keep hearing all over the 4k forums that while a lot of movies are shot in 8k, the CGI is done in 2k and since every single movie (worth watching in 4k) probably has some kind of CGI.

I personally don't think it's worth buying 4k movies right now.

Just buy LaserDiscs. The truly never obsolete format.

Attached: IMG_20180608_140812.jpg (2560x1920, 1.04M)

>go to store
>find dvd i want to buy
>buy dvd
>go home
>put dvd in dvd player that also had to be purchased
>watch 15 minutes of ads
>watch movie
>go to watch movie later
>drop it
>it breaks/gets scratched
>cant use dvd anymore and waste of $20

compared to
>find movie online
>download
>play

or
>find movie i want to buy on itunes/google play/whatever
>buy it
>play it

Attached: 1516931319926.jpg (242x250, 7K)

it happens, but its not all 4k.

How about blue planet 2 in 4k? No special effects at all.

>not all 4k

god.
that brings me back to 2006.
>buy $300 30GB Creative ZEN Vision:M
the best alternative to the ipod.
>can playback normal video files
>came with a dongle that had the ability to do audio/video out

convinced my brother to buy a archos 605. He wanted the ipod.
that was even better. could playback video files that had DTS and AC3 sound. addons had the ability to output component out/ with coax SPDIF. and a full sized USB female connection.
best thing about the archos was that you could transfer files to a USB stick with the addon device. no computer needed. also. had a built-in wifi file-sharing server. UPNP music/video server. all this from a 2006 device.

/old senile man rant.

Should've got the Xbone.

just googled it.
so far it seems that it was shot in 4k.

yeah but is buying all new audio/video equipment worth it for a handful of legit native 4k content?

realorfake4k.com/

I know i'm not alone in that i actually own 40 DVDs and don't watch any of them. I havent even ripped my own stuff due to pirated copies being easier.

when i was 18, i had a night shift job and would just drive to the walmart every single Tuesday.
i think i bought over 100 DVDs in the 2 years that I was there.
my DVD shelf is filled with nothing but DVDs from the mid-2000s.
anything worth rewatching was obviously just pirated. no point in doing the hardwork myself.

you can't skip the drm so no