E-ink screens are a meme

If you mention ereaders or e-ink screens on the internet, you will find thousands of fanboys screaming "e-ink screens are just like real paper, BRAAAH".

But the fact is, they are not. Nothing beats real paper when reading books or manuals. What are the issues with e-ink screens?

First of all, e-ink screens are not completely white. They are light gray. So you are reading black text on a gray background. If you do that for a long time, you will end up like pic related.

And now you will say "but user, there are retroilluminated ereaders, and those have a really white background". Nigga, if you use the light that comes behind e-ink screens, there's no difference between that and a normal LCD screen in terms of eye strain. You will end up like pic related anyway.

Finally, e-ink screens are so fucking reflective it makes me sick. A real paper book absorbs ambient light. An e-ink screen reflects that light and throws it back into your eyes (yes, I know that this is not technically what happens with light, but you understand this). It is so fucking completely unnatural and horrible. You can read a paper book with the light of a candle. With a normal e-ink screen, you need to put a fucking flashlight in front of the screen in order to see anything, and the fucking light of the fucking flashlight is going to come back after you -and your eyes- after bouncing off the screen.

So yes, e-ink screens are a meme.

Attached: c951f75d38ea7a3d631eeed3cab6cf92--music-quotes-dark-art.jpg (424x369, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
twitter.com/AnonBabble

3/10 made me reply

Welcome to the real world.

It sounds like a big part of your problem is the fact that your eyes are shit.

I'm with you all the way OP.

I will read paper as much as possible, with the exception of night reading or such, in which I have an epub copy ready to continue on with, and only in small sessions really.

>He does not agree with me, he must be trolling.

>But the fact is, they are not.
Actually, they are.

I was thinking of getting one for studying on pdf. Should I? I'm using my phone anyway

I wouldn't mind e-ink screens for some projects. But reading a book? Yeah, I'd read it on paper thanks.

Books are for dorks.

>reading a digital book
>instead if the letter "d" it uses "ol"
>instead of "m" it has "nn"
How?

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

They are like real paper. Not just like, but close enough. The value of having an entire library of books in a single device is immense.

Yes, they aren't perfect.

But nothing is perfect, so who cares, they beat reading on an illuminated screen by miles and I really don't care about the background not bring entirely white.
Your complains are so irrelevant, why did you bother making a thread about it?

>First of all, e-ink screens are not completely white
Irrelevant.

>Finally, e-ink screens are so fucking reflective
Never had an issue with that.

>You can read a paper book with the light of a candle. With a normal e-ink screen, you need to put a fucking flashlight in front of the screen in order to see anything, and the fucking light of the fucking flashlight is going to come back after you -and your eyes- after bouncing off the screen.
That is one in a billion use case.
Any normal person just turns on the light.
Also what you are talking about is diffusion, if something is white it reflects light of all wavelengths, the difference is that paper is rough so it throws the light in many directions.

because you're reading a book scanned with OCR - Optical Character Recognition - which is far from perfect and sometimes "too smart."
The OCR technology sees the printed "d" and because paper-medium has flaws such as bleeding and fading, OCR interprets the "d" as an "ol"
same explanation for m>nn and other such typographical errors.
This is why recaptcha uses humans to teach programs how to recognize things; we've evolved over millions of years to be good at distinguishing small details but we've only been teaching computers to do the same for around 20 years.
get out of here with your material science degree

Just use your phone or tablet you fucking autist. Adjust the brightness if it's not as comfortable as a book.

>get out of here with your material science degree
It's just highschool physics.

I was going to say that but I wasn't sure you'd get that I was being sarcastic.
Looks like the other approach didn't work either.
(I am calling OP dumb for not knowing how light works)

I can read for hours on my ThinkPad TN panel without any eye strain. Git gud eyelet.

>TN panel
We are talking about E-Ink you moronic faggot.
Also you can't turn pages on e-readers. This is the most beautiful thing about books, and finally e readers do not smell like a book which is a real drawback

your post shows you've never actually looked at an e-ink display for more than 3 minutes, you've probably seen someone use it on a bus and your autism needed to be let loose

also books are best when the pages are slightly grey/yellow, just like what good e-ink displays are by default, if you prefer the pages pure clean white then you can fuck off because your taste is pure shite

How about you actually use e-ink readers before you talk about them, dumbass.

I have tried more than four different ereader, faggets. This is what I have at hand rn

Attached: photo5827722892538916046.jpg (1280x959, 199K)

E-ink screens are not bad but nothing beats a real book that you can store in your shelf. Having a lot of books in the shelf is also nice to make you look educated, if you have a empty or no shelf of books people are just going to think you are some gaymerfag looser.

you do realize that most books aren't pure white either, novels older than a few years have a yellow/brownish tinge (some are even made that way for muh-nostalgia) and manuals use tinted paper as well, I just looked through my stored manuals and most of them are grey, more grey with less contrast between background and text than my kindle screen.

if reflected light hurts you so much then maybe consider tilting the screen away a bit, are you retarded? and if you happen to be reading in a sports stadium surrounded by lights then buy a fucking matte screen protector.

>books are best when the pages are slightly grey/yellow

Attached: 8J1yFlD.jpg (800x773, 73K)

I firmly believe that my Kindle Paperwhite is the best electronics purchase I've made in at least the last decade. It got me back into the habit of reading, and with a waterproof case I can even read in the shower. Showers are like the last bastion of digital disconnection, and being able to read in there is just perfect.

tl;dr - fuck off with your dead trees, old man

"Bourdain" yourself you fucking brainlet faggot

Did you try the Sony one that costs around $800?

Yes. If you don't feel uncomfortable reading on a phone, any eReader will feel much better.