Most popular Java IDE?

Earlier today I had an internship interview with three of the company's developers over a Webex meeting. Long story short, I was opening up a Java project to show them and one of them asked why I used Eclipse. I told them that my CS prof told us that it was the most widely used Java IDE in the industry and that we should get used to using it. They laughed and said that my prof was wrong because IntelliJ was the most popular IDE and that there was no reason to use Eclipse. I let it go but deep down I thought there's no way that was true. So who's right, them or my professor?

Attached: java-IDE-berk-soysal.png (400x400, 16K)

intellij used to be the most used on workplaces, now, after all the cuck licensing shit they introduced its most likely netbeans (at least thats what ive seen people moving to). eclipse is only used in school and by pajeets (if you dont count the shit that is build on top of eclipse, like android studio, and if you do you also have to take into account that intellij is build on top of netbeans).
so no side is correct, or wrong, it will depend on the scenario

android studio is built on intellij. or at least it says so on start up

IntelliJ = properietory but with bells and whistles
Eclipse = open source but with IBM's bloat

looks like you are correct, my mistake
i cant recall what was built on top of eclipse then, but im almost sure it was something android related

I've used both and I think you should. Really try the Java intelliji one
It's great the best Java ide imo

netbeans is the best one. Offers everything you would want and is free as opposed to intelishit. the only bad thing about it is lack of theme support (the ones available suck and the colors get messed up).

Netbeans is probably the best
Android used to use eclipse a few years ago

Idea is really the best ide. If there is a jet brains ide for whatever language you program in, you should be using it.

I would say that for most languages yes but not everything

There are some. Exceptions

>BlueJ
how i do all my JEE programming

OP here, the interview was for a python developer position so I doubt this will come up frequently, and I'm not a huge fan of Eclipse, but for some reason their response rubbed me the wrong way. I've heard IntelliJ is good but honestly I hope I don't end up working as a Java developer

You'll find that a lot of older companies still use Eclipse. It's fucking slow as shit and buggy (especially the groovy editor which is barely usable), but it generally just werks. I use IntelliJ on occasion, but I ran into some stupid issues with its Gradle integration and ragequit. Sometimes I use Netbeans but I honestly don't know why, it's kinda garbage. I have a whole bunch of IDEs installed and will switch between them depending on what recently made me angry.
Most of my coworkers still use Eclipse, but are moving towards using IntelliJ.

Intellij is my favorite, but it's a pain in the ass with say like JavaFX.

Netbeans is great because it has a lot of the legacy/most used stuff built right in

So I use intellij for more modern development

After initial outrage, they introduced perpetual fallback license when you subscribe for at least one year, which basically means you own the version you first subscribe to.
Gotta admit they make great products.

How was it before? What caused the outrage?

You know you have nothing worthwhile to ask the interviewee when you start harping about IDEs

Which one is the least bloated? I have only known Eclipse and it runs okay. I don't care much about features (although a lot of the Eclipse shit is practically necessary given how verbose Java can be) and use Notepad++ wherever I can.

I'm certain it used to be built on Eclipse unless they have very similar UIs.

I used intellij before, but I like Eclipse more. It's free and got all I need

you can configure eclipse platform however you like so i'd say eclipse. you can install the platform with just the basic shit that doesn't include support for anything and then install what you need through plugins. both run on java so there's that.

>Java

Attached: tldrpowell2.jpg (235x258, 20K)

Eclipse is good.

Your smell disgusts me pajeet

For what, Poothon?

Not him but I saw a newer version of Eclipse recently after years and it wasn't bad or slow. Still wouldn't use it over IntelliJ but not really as awful as I recall it being.

>Beginner Intro to being a Pajeet shill
>...and denying it

IntelliJ, because Kotlin.

I don't know why an IDE would matter to anyone except personal preference.

In my case i find the autofill or shortcuts in intellij to suck dick but the git tool pretty nice whereas eclipse is better at autofilling and the git tool sucks dick instead.

When has he told you that? Eclipse was most used like 5-8 years ago.

Eclipse because I ain't paying for an IDE for the bit of Java shit I do

I use Eclipse Neon for Python, and Android SDK for Java. I love them both, or probably better to say, I like both versions of the near-same IDE.
Two thing's are for sure:
1) Eclipse/Android SDK are not outdated. They are industry standards that are widespread. My organizations, I'm part of several projects and a startup, all use these. We are fresh and dynamic, and these are our tools as well.

and

2) You are one of us. The programmers that have saw through the shit and the memes, and know what's what: Java Programmers. Java is where it's at. We make things happen.

Java: "One land, one king."

Attached: CrusaderKnights.jpg (2048x1536, 1.67M)

(con't)
...And if you combine the Eclipse with the Android SDK, that's like 35%, so, so much for Eclipse "not really being important."

Attached: Popularity-of-IDEs.jpg (631x899, 107K)

>*Dracula*

Wait, IntelliJ is closed source?

I used it like three years ago

You do know android studio is basef on IntelliJ and not eclipse right?

I hear you regarding Gradle integration. Common issue.

I get shit done with Eclipse, pretty straightforward.

Ok. I probably wouldn’t use CLion because I’m so used to programming C in emacs.

>intel lij
Yeah no fuck of intel pajeet shills

NetBeans is literally the best there is for java. Over 30 people in my office and only 1 person doesn't use it

The license change made me and my team (small < 10) change to netbeans, it's kinda worse but hey it let's you work.

"programming" in Java
>what a cuck

Netbeans is amazing
Best IDE

There was an Android Studio plugin for Eclipse that made it look just like the standalone one. Maybe it's still around.

From my experience, intellij seems slow to open but eclipse opens relatively fast

Text editor + javac
/thread

Netbeans crashes often for me and also the fonts look horrible on Linux.

While IntelliJ clearly has the best Java autocomplete, eclipse is superior to Netbeans in this regard, as it show more commonly used methods more prominently in the suggestions.

I use IntelliJ because I have free all-inclusive access to JetBrains software.

>java

i started with netbeans because that's what the oracle tutorials used, it was ok

then one day i accidentally deleted my swing GUI forms. netbeans was useless and couldn't regenerate it's own proprietary shit from source but eclipse worked fine and saved my project

now i've jumped on the intellij meme train. in general it's ok, the code completion works better and it feels more modern and responsive with more active development but i was expecting more features based on all the hype i read. it pisses me off that it doesn't show errors in the file tree like eclipse. if i didn't have a free student subscription i wouldn't use it

tldr: it's all the same shit, just use whatever your workspace suggests

same here, uni hasn't disabled my student account even though I dropped out a year ago lmao

those who can't do, teach