What went wrong with Blu-Ray? UHD was such a flop
Forgotten/Obsolete storage thread
>inb4 durr streaming

Attached: file.png (469x500, 363K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/au/products/sanyo-lcd40xr10f/review/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Flash drives and external HDDs are more convenient.

even 10 years ago before burning was even possible though it never really adopted the same way cd's and DVD DL's where

What do you mean? Console games are Blu-rays most times. PS4 and Xbox have Blu-ray drive in them. Internal BD-DVD drives are as cheap as $60 now. $110 if you want UHD capabilities.

Unless you mean as a storage medium. Then yea, it's "dead" because 99% of people don't care that data written to a blu-ray will outlive them and their grandkids if preserved correctly. HDD's are cheaper and more efficient.

i meant how everyone and their dog used to burn cd/dvds but ever since 2006 hit everyone stopped

because flash storage became common place. Dedicated MP3 players/itunes/iPods. Cars started offering auxillary jacks so you can use these devices on the go. CD and DVD players overall just kind of fell out of style because they were less convenient. I for one don't miss having 60+ CD's in my car for a long road trip or commute and having to hunt around for a certain song on the CD while driving. Or taking the fucking radio apart AGAIN because it won't eject my disc. Now I have a phone with 256GB worth of storage in a medium the size of my pinky nail with all my music ripped into .FLAC

I still have a tower of Blank CD-R's, DVD-RW's, and Blu-ray discs ready to be burned if the need ever arose. It's more niche than it was sure, but not a flop. That's like saying VHS was a flop simply because they're not popular anymore.

>Cars started offering auxillary jacks
my old 80's jdm's had this since 1981

>Price of HDMI cables back in 2007/2008/2009 were ridiculous.

>Blu-ray players were also expensive.

>1080p, living room-sized TVs cost >$1,000

I wonder why...

Attached: 1491268565847.jpg (384x313, 83K)

>>Price of HDMI cables back in 2007/2008/2009 were ridiculous.
brainlet i got older cables cheap generic brand for like $5 my first hdtv was $300aud in 2008 and its still going, same with my ps3 2009

Blu-Ray discs
or
Blu-Ray-R(DL) discs?

BD-R discs were crazy expensive.
$5-$10 disc.

most people don't even have a true 5.1ch surround sound system.
whats the point in Blu-ray?
quality.
most people don't care about quality.

also durr streaming.
50Mbps Internet connections is the minimum that you can get from your ISP. at that speed, you could stream 5 different HD movies.
a 320Kbps mp3 is good enough.
1080P streaming video is good enough.

would love proof of that.
1080p +42in Tv.

my 50in 1080p TV was $200 in 2015 and that was a Black Friday deal.

it was a 40" sanyo

cnet.com/au/products/sanyo-lcd40xr10f/review/

$1000 AUD

i got it for $350 on special it was floor stock on clearance u autistic faggot

i still don't believe you.
65% off on floor stock TV.
still wouldn't believe you if it was the display TV.

Reminder 2tb harddrive are cheaper than pack of sets empty br disc.

>inb4 durr streaming
Netflix was incorporated in 1997. When it comes to movies, streaming absolutely killed blu-ray.
As for data storage, by the time blu-ray came out flash drives were big enough to be useful.

They've never gotten the price of BR discs down sufficiently; they're still pricey. The CD I doubt is liable to go anywhere any time soon because there's no other storage medium cheaper to manufacture. You're looking at like 50 cents a disc?

i dont give a ripe fuck mate

The last VHS player manufacturer quit making them (some lesser known Japanese brand)

Streaming, expensive disks and encryption, meaning only proprietary software can read them.

VHS players were horribly expensive to manufacture and the tapes as well. CD players are cheap to manufacture because they're mechanically much simpler; there's no moving parts except the spindle motor.

>It's more niche than it was sure, but not a flop

Every big box store still has plenty of the things for sale.

The issue with burned CDs is that they don't work like factory pressed ones and are less reliable, plus they tend to be hard on the laser pickup.

Hard disks and flash drives are far from the best archival media which is why professionals use tape storage.

You can't play them on PC without spending some money.

I read about that. Curiously, they said "the last known VHS mfgr" because they didn't want some neckbeard to go and point out that there could be a Chinese sweatshop still making them.

It costs more than twice the price of a equivalent DVD.

>bd drives cost over $60 at the very least
>bd still several times more expensive
>then everyone was like durr streaming
>oems don't care anymore and shove dvd drives in, if any at all

drm

>>oems don't care anymore and shove dvd drives in, if any at all
wait they still do this? Lol its like retailers selling games on dvd

yes, if it isn't heavily advertised everything under ~$1000 has a dvd drive or none at all

You realise that for almost half of Netflix's existence, streaming was not part of its business, right?

because games started to suck
i know

Well first a BD-Rom that can write to a BD costs around 100$ even today. It's 10$ pop a disk.

Sure it's a great storage medium but people trust facebook/instagram/youtube to store their pictures/movies more then they trust themselves.

HDDs come in like 10 TB varieties now. Even SSDs are a 120 GB at minimum.

When I used DVDs my HDD was 80 GB.
When I used CDs my HDD was 3.2 GB.

Storage caught up.

>around 100$ even today. It's 10$ pop a disk.
fucking retarded why are they still on the market what the fuck even needs brdiscs?

>more convenient.
Not if you want them back

Attached: 1301537945739.jpg (404x402, 28K)

bds are cheapest storage per gb right now, but it's too bothersome just to save a few bucks

They're too slow for their capacity.

>blu-ray will outlive them and their grandkids if preserved correctly

source to such claims?

DVDs were good enough to keep Blu-ray from catching on until streaming took off and really stopped Blu-ray from catching on

streaming is half the quality of a bluray rip